• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I asked WayForward in Discord about Shantae GBC Switch port and they only answered, “Still on it’s way”. So finally theres our answer. Guess there’s nothing about Smash. Just taking some time.
It would break NDA to talk about it if it were Smash related though. Not that I think it is, but they couldn't tell you even if that were the case.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
It would break NDA to talk about it if it were Smash related though. Not that I think it is, but they couldn't tell you even if that were the case.
I already gave up on Shantae hopes anyway. In the honest and understandable way.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Pyra and Mythra stream coming next week! I wonder if their release will be a week or so later like with most of the other streams.

Personally looking forward to the characters a ton, and the music remixes. As for Mii costumes, I’m still holding out no indie gets picked to further my baseless speculation that Shantae will come with a Mii fighter selection of all indie costumes bringing a new music track with them, and all the indie music being playable on the same stage.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Just letting him know. Ignore that if that bothers you.
The AAA level of all of the other characters in the pass so far would make Shantae extremely surprising to me too, so I'm also definitely not counting on it either. I more or less still come to this forum to see what other people are talking about. She's still one of the characters I'd like to see most one day as I think she has a moveset and personality perfectly built for Smash, but I'm content just playing her games too of course. ☺

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I feel like we should've had an update on GBC Shantae for Switch by now...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel like we should've had an update on GBA Shantae for Switch by now...
Yeah, I'm getting annoyed at the lack of updates for something that should've been done by now. It's a GBC title, it shouldn't be that hard to port

Dukefire

Smash Master
I haven't been thinking about it much as the next Sakurai Presents is currently in my thoughts right now.
Anything else I'm still waiting on.....
Screenshot_20210224-112852_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's only over when the fat lady sings. Be on the lookout for any unexpected developments once we reach June.

I feel like we should've had an update on GBA Shantae for Switch by now...
Yeah, I'm getting annoyed at the lack of updates for something that should've been done by now. It's a GBC title, it shouldn't be that hard to port
On my end, I'm waiting on updates for the Udon artbook.

Meanwhile...

How nice of them to acknowledge Fin, when we have yet to know when the Switch port of Xtreme Sports and its LRG edition will release.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
It's only over when the fat lady sings. Be on the lookout for any unexpected developments once we reach June.

On my end, I'm waiting on updates for the Udon artbook.

Meanwhile...

How nice of them to acknowledge Fin, when we have yet to know when the Switch port of Xtreme Sports and its LRG edition will release.
That reminds me, whatever happened with those 30 milestones?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been asking to myself about it the same way. Tbh I don’t think it’s really worth waiting 7 months just for the old classic game to be ported to the Switch. It’s already far from RR after both of them was in the whole trailer like just port it already.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Yeah. Fin is a really overlooked character, vastly overshadowed by Guppi.
Nobody ever talks about him. So seeing this is real nice. :D
I’ve been asking to myself about it the same way. Tbh I don’t think it’s really worth waiting 7 months just for the old classic game to be ported to the Switch. It’s already far from RR after both of them was in the whole trailer like just port it already.
I think you're not realizing what a great game the original Shantae was.
Yes, it's a Game Boy Color game. So some things about it are quite dated.

And yet, it still holds up today. Flaws and all.
It's a longer and much more complete game than Risky's Revenge.
And it has some really unique features, that never returned in any of the sequels.
So the original Shantae is very much worth it.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Fin is a really overlooked character, vastly overshadowed by Guppi.
Nobody ever talks about him. So seeing this is real nice. :D

I think you're not realizing what a great game the original Shantae was.
Yes, it's a Game Boy Color game. So some things about it are quite dated.

And yet, it still holds up today. Flaws and all.
It's a longer and much more complete game than Risky's Revenge.
And it has some really unique features, that never returned in any of the sequels.
So the original Shantae is very much worth it.
I know but it’s an GBC Classic and I know how great Shantae was in GBC but in my honesty as an old classic game, it’s just not really worth waiting for it after nearly a year. It’ll just be the same but on the Switch. Also you’re probably right about some new features or those unused featured will be used probably from Shantae Advanced. Maybe new mode? Idk

Also isn’t Vol. 2 the end of the road? I mean Sakurai already confirmed this then again he might changed his mind but it might be fully official. That makes 4 slots remain unused. https://youtu.be/4HqEZol1FbM

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know but it’s an GBC Classic and I know how great Shantae was in GBC but in my honesty as an old classic game, it’s just not really worth waiting for it after nearly a year. It’ll just be the same but on the Switch. Also you’re probably right about some new features or those unused featured will be used probably from Shantae Advanced. Maybe new mode? Idk
I meant the original Shantae Game has unique mechanics, that never returned in later games.
I was saying that, to affirm the game's value. That it isn't just a throwaway old game.

Also isn’t Vol. 2 the end of the road? I mean Sakurai already confirmed this then again he might changed his mind but it might be fully official. That makes 4 slots remain unused. https://youtu.be/4HqEZol1FbM
It's Sakurai, man.
The same man, who kept saying "This Smash game will be the last one." since Melee.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If that's the case, then prepare for some taking it more seriously as this is their character's LAST chance. Though, we don't know exactly if FP2 is the end. Waiting is still the key.
Screenshot_20210224-151132_YouTube.jpg

As the old saying goes: Nothing last forever.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well for anyone worrying (or hoping) that a Gen 8 Pokemon would be part of the DLC. I think that ship has sailed. Tomorrow we are getting a Pokemon Direct, which is almost certainly going to be revealing the Gen 4 remakes releasing this fall. So focus is moving off of Gen 8 (and GF always uses Smash spots to highlight the flavor of the month they are pushing hardest at the moment) and Gen 4 already has it's most popular pokemon in the game.

So really, I don't think we will be getting any pokemon in this pass. That of course could be wrong, but it makes sense at least to me.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Well for anyone worrying (or hoping) that a Gen 8 Pokemon would be part of the DLC. I think that ship has sailed. Tomorrow we are getting a Pokemon Direct, which is almost certainly going to be revealing the Gen 4 remakes releasing this fall. So focus is moving off of Gen 8 (and GF always uses Smash spots to highlight the flavor of the month they are pushing hardest at the moment) and Gen 4 already has it's most popular pokemon in the game.

So really, I don't think we will be getting any pokemon in this pass. That of course could be wrong, but it makes sense at least to me.
I don't disagree about Gen 8 being overestimated. After all, it got a spirit board pretty late into DLC.

We just got Pyra right after Xenoblade moved on to promote Definitive Edition.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Have Gen 4 Remakes ever been confirmed at this point?
I just thought it was all speculation...

But either way, even if a Gen 8 Pokemon is out of the question, that still leaves Fire Emblem.
I don't disagree about Gen 8 being overestimated. After all, it got a spirit board pretty late into DLC.

We just got Pyra right after Xenoblade moved on to promote Definitive Edition.
Well that doesn't mean it's out of the question...

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can safely assume that Fire Emblem is finished as Byleth represents Three Houses in the latest entry.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can safely assume that Fire Emblem is finished as Byleth represents Three Houses in the latest entry.
Sorry, but I am not counting on it.
Given how much of an FE fanboy he is, it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai would include yet another Fire Emblem character, just because. <<

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This would never happen but imagine if we got an ARMS reveal for the next fighter.

"The next character to join Smash is....A character that debuted in 2002!

Suddenly everyone freaks over Sora, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Kite, Gen 3 Pokemon like Blaziken, Sceptile and Gardevoir, Petey Pirahna, Jaina Proudmoore, KOS-MOS and yes Shantae. I can't believe quite a few well known characters debuted in this year.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Plus, we just Challenger 9 revealed already. I doubt that GF has plans to reveal another Pokémon rep as challenger 10 in tomorrow direct.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Nothing has been confirmed, but leakers with very credible track records have said they are happening (tho some details don't match as some say they will have Let's Go mechanics and others say no) But mostly it's that everything is lining up. SwSh teased gen 4 with a shop in game having a croagunk statue which is an updated version of ones that could be found in shops in Sinnoh. Pokemon games have had a trend as of late of always having one detail somewhere in the game that hints to what is next. XY had a tiki item that hinted at a Hawaiian inspired gen 7. Sun/Moon had hints at what would be the Let's Go games. Let's go had a map on a wall with an image that looked like an upside down UK, which was a clear hint of Galar...

Plus Gen 4 Remakes are just next in line. It's far too soon for Gen 9 reveals, They could do another wave of DLC for 8 but that would be underwhelming. The only way i see Gen 4 games not getting a remake this fall is if they are skipping a year.

That said i would love to be wrong as a skipped year would mean more time on whatever the next game is and I would rather gen 4 get remade in a generation with a better foundation. Put all focus into making Gen 9 as good as possible, and then have SInnoh remakes build off of that.

That however seems very unlikely, so they are almost certainly getting a small reveal tomorrow. By small reveal I mean some sizzle reel that ends in the logos for the game. GF always does this, tell us what the game is and have us wait months for anything substantial about it.

Anyway, from a marketing standpoint they are going to slowly cool off on promoting Galar to build hype for Sinnoh, so a Galarian rep in Smash is likely not a big priority for them.

Plus, we just Challenger 9 revealed already. I doubt that GF has plans to reveal another Pokémon rep as challenger 10 in tomorrow direct.
I didn;t meant to imply that a pokemon fighter reveal could happen tomorrow, I just meant that the time for a Galar pokemon is likely up since come tomorrow GF will be wanting to put most marketing toward promoting Sinnoh.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I mean maybe a broad reveal like how they did with ARM might happen, but I more meant my specific reveal I spoke of.
Sigh...
I meant how are you so sure, there won't be another Fire Emblem character?
Nothing has been confirmed, but leakers with very credible track records have said they are happening (tho some details don't match as some say they will have Let's Go mechanics and others say no) But mostly it's that everything is lining up. SwSh teased gen 4 with a shop in game having a croagunk statue which is an updated version of ones that could be found in shops in Sinnoh. Pokemon games have had a trend as of late of always having one detail somewhere in the game that hints to what is next. XY had a tiki item that hinted at a Hawaiian inspired gen 7. Sun/Moon had hints at what would be the Let's Go games. Let's go had a map on a wall with an image that looked like an upside down UK, which was a clear hint of Galar...
So basically, it's still all speculation.
I don't trust self-proclaimed leakers...

Plus Gen 4 Remakes are just next in line. It's far too soon for Gen 9 reveals, They could do another wave of DLC for 8 but that would be underwhelming. The only way i see Gen 4 games not getting a remake this fall is if they are skipping a year.
Well people said the same about Pokemon Z or Gen 3 Remakes in Gen 5.
But those things never happened, now did they?

I didn;t meant to imply that a pokemon fighter reveal could happen tomorrow, I just meant that the time for a Galar pokemon is likely up since come tomorrow GF will be wanting to put most marketing toward promoting Sinnoh.
Never say never.
It's still possible for Pokemon to be in this pass, same for Fire Emblem.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sigh...
I meant how are you so sure, there won't be another Fire Emblem character?

So basically, it's still all speculation.
I don't trust self-proclaimed leakers...

Well people said the same about Pokemon Z or Gen 3 Remakes in Gen 5.
But those things never happened, now did they?

Never say never.
It's still possible for Pokemon to be in this pass, same for Fire Emblem.
I didnt bring up Fire Emblem what? They could do an early ARMS type reveal and not involve Fir Emblem.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know its my bias showing, but i really feel like shantae has a good shot due to this pass seemingly about characters that missed out base vame or took awhile to negotiate. She fits that pretty well.

The other likely ones i feel that fit this are Ryu Hyabusa, Crash, rayman, possiby reimu, and technically monster hunter but i dont tbink they are happening based on how stingy they are on a playabe hunter in fighters.

Also, i just found this od remix of pirate curses we love burning town i had to share

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I talked about a Fire Emblem character.
And you said "That will never happen".
He had said " This would never happen but imagine if we got an ARMS reveal for the next fighter. " The second part of that sentence is what he was saying would never happen, not anything located in the thread beforehand.

I also think Fire Emblem's DLC in Smash is done for this game. So much that I'd be willing to bet a Switch or something, hah. Heck, I'll buy you a spare Switch if Fire Emblem is one of the last two DLC. >_> I do think that another 1st party rep is possible, but not from Fire Emblem.

Now another swordsman, that's something I wouldn't bet against. There are still a lot of characters out there that either primarily use swords or have access to them. (Heck, even Shantae could bust out a Scimitar if she had any Pirate's Curse influence.)

Staarih

Smash Master

Even if we get D/P remakes, they are still Gen 8. It's very likely Dynamax, for example, would be carried over, being the current gen's "thing". And Sw/Sh won't stop selling either, as they are still the only games to experience Galar even if remake-Sinnoh is coming. As such, I wouldn't personally count a Pokemon out until all is said and done haha.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I talked about a Fire Emblem character.
And you said "That will never happen".
No...I said "This would never happen" in relation to the rest of my tweet, since I didnt use a comma to seperate the two statements.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that maybe Sakurai will eventually reveal the future of Ultimate's DLC at E3. Everyone knows how hot the speculation for Smash is and its questionable reasons when facing 5 stages of grief.

Also, a Shantae artwork for today.
Artist: Nittyi on twitter
EucGOvBUYAMg3fd.jpg

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
He had said " This would never happen but imagine if we got an ARMS reveal for the next fighter. " The second part of that sentence is what he was saying would never happen, not anything located in the thread beforehand.

I also think Fire Emblem's DLC in Smash is done for this game. So much that I'd be willing to bet a Switch or something, hah. Heck, I'll buy you a spare Switch if Fire Emblem is one of the last two DLC. >_> I do think that another 1st party rep is possible, but not from Fire Emblem.

Now another swordsman, that's something I wouldn't bet against. There are still a lot of characters out there that either primarily use swords or have access to them. (Heck, even Shantae could bust out a Scimitar if she had any Pirate's Curse influence.)
Alright, I misunderstood. So let's chill.

As for Fire Emblem...
Again, given how much of an FE fanboy he is, I can see Sakurai pulling in yet another Fire Emblem character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Alright, I misunderstood. So let's chill.

As for Fire Emblem...
Again, given how much of an FE fanboy he is, I can see Sakurai pulling in yet another Fire Emblem character.
He outright said he was worried about adding another FE character, so i beleive its safe to say we aren't getting any more from that game this time. I doubt we will see any mew FE till the next game

Top Bottom