• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae Smash Teaser?

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

seriously this has to be one of the worst click bait titles, I actually thought it would be something important (like a new character and not just some tweet that says cool poster)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
ahem

these are skin tight, by the way.
And yet, despite the fact that she's in a ridiculous exercise outfit (with heels), she's still fully covered. Not that Shantae has a snowball's chance in hell in the first place, but this is a game where the developers are paranoid about letting cartoon characters fight each other without creating a ridiculous "toy" mythology to explain it.

I don't think we're going to see an erotic belly dancer.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
And yet, despite the fact that she's in a ridiculous exercise outfit (with heels), she's still fully covered. Not that Shantae has a snowball's chance in hell in the first place, but this is a game where the developers are paranoid about letting cartoon characters fight each other without creating a ridiculous "toy" mythology to explain it.

I don't think we're going to see an erotic belly dancer.
>still fully covered

Also, if we can handle Zero Suit Samus: watermelon smuggler extrordinare, Medusa's ttrophy, and Barbara (The bat, AND the Rayman one), then we are more than able to handle Shantae.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

seriously this has to be one of the worst click bait titles, I actually thought it would be something important (like a new character and not just some tweet that says cool poster)
I just wanna know: How is this clickbait? This Tweet just arises suspicions and that's all. The title even questions if it's a true Smash tease, so please, go on.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I just wanna know: How is this clickbait? This Tweet just arises suspicions and that's all. The title even questions if it's a true Smash tease, so please, go on.
The article says it's a teaser, yet all it contains are a support tweet for the vote and a tweet that says "Thanks for mentioning us! also put shantae in smash pls"

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If you guys want her in this badly, you are better off playing League of Legends or Dead or Alive, plenty of fake jigglies for ya.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Good Lord. The slandering reactions of these posts is why I steered clear of Smashboards for ages before one of the character vote threads (no points for guessing which one) forced me to stop lurking. All the anti-Shantae arguments I've seen in this thread have powerful counterpoints, and I am going to list them all:
  • "she's too suggestive" - Were ZSS' alt skins too suggestive? Was Palutena's pole dance taunt too suggestive? Were Shulk's freaking beach shorts too suggestive? Nintendo sure didn't seem to think so, in fact the game is still rated E10+, even without considering some of the Assist Trophies and regular Trophies. And if people are that scared of showing skin, Shantae actually shows less than ZSS, and if you'd played her games you'd know she's actually a rather modest character. Shantae's outfit is traditional genie/dancer garb to the point where I'm pretty sure it's even been in a few children's shows. "HOLY @#$% THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!" does not apply here, and shame on anyone who thinks so.
  • "she's indie" - Not only is this a terribly biased argument on its own, it's also not really true anymore in Shantae's case. Most indie games don't have the honor of physical, non-computer screen ad space (not even Cave Story!), much less right beside a major game company's own IPs. That's how much faith Nintendo has in the Shantae franchise, so IMHO she might as well be considered genuine third-party now. Heck, she actually has a higher want-rate than pretty much every indie and even other third-parties!
  • "screw her I want this (possibly indie) character instead" - This is fine, it's okay to want another character, but at least be ready to give an argument that isn't just that the opposing character sucks. This is the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot's main failing, honestly; it's supposed to help get people interested in other characters, but what's actually happening is that people are just mashing their own votes in and pretending the competition doesn't exist. It's really sad.
  • "who?" - Learn about a character before you jump to conclusions! With YouTube and all the gaming news websites and such, it's not a hard task! You don't even have to play the games (though I do recommend them)! If you're going to slander a character this badly, at least get some good reasons to back up your argument!
Do I think this is going to guarantee Shantae a spot on the DLC roster? Of course not, but I've at least had the mind to compare her to the other third-party and first-party candidates, and I think she has as good of a chance as anyone else.

Seriously guys, if you're going to rail this hard against a character, at least do the bloody research instead of just responding with "sexy = piss off" or "indie = piss off" or the like. It's not just unfair to Shantae, it's unfair to pretty much any other character in the ballot.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd like to believe this means something, but it's probably just Bozon keeping up interest and discussion for Shantae in Smash. I doubt he would be so upfront if it were actually happening...
Which is probably the case because it seems like hardy anyone talks about the Smash Ballot anymore. There's a few character fanbases that are still really gung-ho about it but I could easily count them on one hand at this point.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
As much as I love shantee and shovel knight, why can't quote for cave story get any of this love!?
Seriously, if anybody "represents" indie game underdogs best, it's quote. Cave story is a truly inspiring case of a game made by just one guy, not for profit but just out of passion and a need to share his ideas with the world that many MANY years later after the game already captivated several people on it's original free pc release ended up being ported to the wii and 3ds. Shantae's cool though unlikely but i honestly can't stand the concept of shovel knight in smash. I just don't feel like he belongs or has nearly as much prominence as his obnoxiously loud fanbase claims. If i was a game developer like way forward though; i would be pushing for my character to get into smash just as hard because honestly, who wouldn't want to see their own beloved creation get into the biggest crossover in video game history?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Seriously, if anybody "represents" indie game underdogs best, it's quote. Cave story is a truly inspiring case of a game made by just one guy, not for profit but just out of passion and a need to share his ideas with the world that many MANY years later after the game already captivated several people on it's original free pc release ended up being ported to the wii and 3ds. Shantae's cool though unlikely but i honestly can't stand the concept of shovel knight in smash. I just don't feel like he belongs or has nearly as much prominence as his obnoxiously loud fanbase claims. If i was a game developer like way forward though; i would be pushing for my character to get into smash just as hard because honestly, who wouldn't want to see their own beloved creation get into the biggest crossover in video game history?
I think the hype for these two characters had died down for the ballot. Only because I think most people are waiting for E3 or another Nintendo Direct before E3 for them to announce another character reveal. I never understood the hype behind Shovel Knight neither yeah his fanbase is so obnoxious, loud, and arrogant and thinks he has high chances of getting in the game and would only end being dissappointed. His chances are so so slim I never understood why his fanbase thinks he's that likely.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love shantee and shovel knight, why can't quote for cave story get any of this love!?
Quote's a bit of a strange case. Logically you'd think his icon status would be a huge step forward in getting into Smash, but due to all the remakes and rehashes he eventually just... ran out of steam. He's iconic, yes, but he's just not really notable/popular anymore, at least not compared to recent indie protags like Shantae and Shovel Knight. People seem to be of the mind that Quote had his time in the spotlight and that it's time for him to step aside.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which is probably the case because it seems like hardy anyone talks about the Smash Ballot anymore. There's a few character fanbases that are still really gung-ho about it but I could easily count them on one hand at this point.
Well the brunt of the activity the ballot will see has already happened; it was the days following its release. Currently we're in a lull, but when more characters get released or announced and during E3 it'll probably receive more attention than the last little while... but like I said, the peak has already happened anyway.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
If you guys want her in this badly, you are better off playing League of Legends or Dead or Alive, plenty of fake jigglies for ya.
I think the hype for these two characters had died down for the ballot. Only because I think most people are waiting for E3 or another Nintendo Direct before E3 for them to announce another character reveal. I never understood the hype behind Shovel Knight neither yeah his fanbase is so obnoxious, loud, and arrogant and thinks he has high chances of getting in the game and would only end being dissappointed. His chances are so so slim I never understood why his fanbase thinks he's that likely.
You're here too?!

Last edited:

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
Not every character from a good game should be in Smash. Let Nintendo scrape the bottom of its barrel (Sin&Punishment, Custom Robo, Chibi-Robo, Wonderful 101, etc.) before scraping the bottom of the rest of the industry's barrel.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Not every character from a good game should be in Smash. Let Nintendo scrape the bottom of its barrel (Sin&Punishment, Custom Robo, Chibi-Robo, Wonderful 101, etc.) before scraping the bottom of the rest of the industry's barrel.
I really hope you meant to say "popular". Even then Shantae's at a midpoint imo because of the Smash Ballot and her recent game (alongside the recent post) giving her more popularity.

Even then, Smash Bros has gone for the not-so-popular games. Like Xenoblade, for example.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
This. Don't get me wrong, I do like Shantae, and would like to see her in Smash, but there's just a ton of Nintendo franchises that deserve a place on the roster before her. Golden Sun being the first on this list, because well... it's the most popular one of those not already represented by a playable character.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Though that rayman leak was pretty convincing...
Eh, not really. I knew from the first moment I saw it that it was fake, and it had nothing to do with the graphical quality.

The reason is simple: the setup was completely wrong.

Okay, so it's some nerdy kid who hasn't hit puberty yet squealing "OMIGAWD GUYZE!!! RAYMAN IS IN SSBBBBBBB!!!!" while selecting Rayman from a menu...

...on a WIi U...

...that's apparently in his friggin' house.

The big problem there is that it raises the obvious question: why the HELL didn't he just hit start and show us gameplay footage of Rayman? (answer: because he couldn't, because it was fake)

...Which is why he should've instead set it up to look like he was using a cellphone camera to capture a few precious seconds of video footage of someone selecting Rayman at some kind of NDA-only press event. Now THAT would've given people some reason to wonder.

Really, two seconds of critical thinking destroyed that "leak"...

Also, watched some Shante gameplay and it looks interesting, but kinda basic (though at least her voice isn't heinously annoying...). The last boss battle was obnoxiously repetitive. I get the feeling that Shante wouldn't be as popular if she didn't kinda fall into the "waifu" category. At least there's absolutely no one voting for Shovel Knight for that reason... ;)

Honestly, I think I'd rather see a Castlevania character, if we're going to be taking a character from 2D platformers.

Just think, if Simon Belmont were added, we've completely reunited the Captain N crew. :D

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I voted for shantae because I want Jake Kaufman's godlike music in smash. He also did music for shovel knight

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Quote's a bit of a strange case. Logically you'd think his icon status would be a huge step forward in getting into Smash, but due to all the remakes and rehashes he eventually just... ran out of steam. He's iconic, yes, but he's just not really notable/popular anymore, at least not compared to recent indie protags like Shantae and Shovel Knight. People seem to be of the mind that Quote had his time in the spotlight and that it's time for him to step aside.
Let's be honest here, the only reason shantee is getting so much love is becuase of those tweets. Shantee was just a good game some people knew about, and it just kinda exploded from there with the tweets.
Though what you said about quote is kinda true, in terms of just quality of charecter in his own game and in smash, I feel like quote would just blow shovel knight out of the water.

Mikey_Fresh

Smash Rookie
I really hope you meant to say "popular". Even then Shantae's at a midpoint imo because of the Smash Ballot and her recent game (alongside the recent post) giving her more popularity.

Even then, Smash Bros has gone for the not-so-popular games. Like Xenoblade, for example.
No, I don't mean popular. I mean, let Nintendo use its B-list franchises first. That way, said franchises can get rebooted/revived and Nintendo can make more of those games instead of another Mario game, like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Truthfully, no indie characters should get into Smash. They are a dime a dozen and most have no relation to Nintendo nor are they important to the gaming industry. Third party characters should only be for those that actually matter.
Sonic: Mario's biggest rival, the face of the console wars.
Mega Man: Arguable one of the most recognizable characters from the NES era, most games were Nintendo exclusive.
PAC-MAN: Possibly the most recognized video game character, at least in his circle form, and Miyamoto's inspiration.
Snake: The odd man out, only in due to Sakurai bias.

When Shantae becomes as recognizable as Sonic the Hedgehog and PAC-MAN, then maybe you can convince me she should be playable in Smash.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I highly doubt that this is more about Shantae deserving a Sm4sh appearance than her getting recognized as much as Nintendo hits like Punch-Out, F-Zero, and MOTHER. Either way, good for WayForward; they're most likely hiding out with Nintendo's B-list as of this tweet.

But if she somehow gets a place in Sm4sh or (More likely) whatever game comes next...hooooooo boy.:4pacman:

Top Bottom