• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sibling teams? Hell yeah! *hi-fives*

Yo @ Gords Gords : If you're thinking of running a tournament december/january, I asked Nikes if he'd like to come and he said he would definitely consider it (no promises of course). I know it's only one person hehe, but I mean, if you do decide to seriously go for it i'd absolutely enjoy it and I reckon you could garner interest for it. And i'm happy to move TVs or whatever needs doing in the process hehe. :-)

Just don't get me to remove tape holding down cords. That always ends badly. >.>

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
what is BEAST and where can i find the info on it?
I also work and wont be able to make it to all of those weekends. atm I am looking at buttonsmash and i already have leave to go to apex 2015. even without Sydney its crowded, what are you planning/thinking to attend Attila?

the other issue with this schedule if sydney isnt happening is that people in melbourne pay once, people in brisbane pay twice (or an extended trip is required) and people in sydney pay 3 times for flights/travel to get to all them.
Ideally one major in each of the eastern states during the holiday season would be best imo. then have a major for each state separated throughout the year.
for example.
April (easter break-ish) Qld (Autumn Smash maybe)
July Sydney (ACL hopefully)
Oct Melbourne (BAM/miles)

I dont know why miles isnt december but for me anyway early december is the smash beach trip followed by the sydney zelda marathon, then there is xmas and new year.

i definitely want to reserve the july 2015 period for a sydney major (hopefully with ACL again) and for dec 2015 i might schedule a sydney major then as well but atm its too early to tell
i spoke to miles at SS5 about it, he was looking to find venues for the first weekend in Jan (or at least early jan). nothing is confirmed yet but yeah he is looking at getting that weekend atm. with SS6 now in early feb i am not sure how he is thinking right now
B.E.A.S.T. is a Swedish major that ties into the Apex series. It is looking to be the first international major for smash 4. Armada runs this tournament series himself.

tbh I'm annoyed with the timing of SS6 because it really messes the dates. The timing is selfish and detracts from other events; SS6 itself will also be smaller as a result. The downside of working with the SL guys is that they make decisions like this by themselves, and expect everyone else to obey. I'm considering not contributing to the event for these reasons.

The biggest factor when scheduling events is the calender according to the wider FGC. Melbourne (and to a lesser extent QLD) have worked hard to build a solid relationship with the FGC to ensure that we can afford and organize larger events, SS5 was a perfect example. In this sense, we need to fit into their schedule if we could like to maintain our spot.

Sydney already has a major in the form of ACL, and I'm not sure if the community is big enough to warrant hosting something else. Otherwise, I'd recommend trying to organize a major through OzHadou, which is Sydney's largest FGC event. They normally schedule around October.

Melbourne has the most majors purely on the basis that it has the largest community; this drives attention here. Splitting up events evenly across the states doesn't make sense, smaller communities have much less to bring to the table. If you want to create large events in Sydney it starts by making a solidified community with the wider FGC.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I agree with Attila's point in that I feel SS admins have neglected to engage the Smash community about a set of dates that could work for everyone. Considering we made up roughly half of SSV's attendance, the lack of consultation is both surprising and disappointing.

On another note, there is a lot of interesting commentary going on about the relationship between the Sydney Smash Scene and its FGC. The relationship is a longstanding one and dates back to 2008 when Don't Come was run in conjunction with OHN (I really pushed for this integration back then). Gamra is the current touch point and has been attempting to absorb Smash events into regular FGC events for over a year now, except there have been several pitfalls:

- Smashers have been running more successful events outside of the FGC's YSBs (higher turnouts, better experiences)

- Sydney FGC has weak management and organisation (infrequent and irregular scheduling of events that conflict with Smash-only events)
- Sydney FGC has weak communications (no Facebook, forum-based communication only - no way to draw in new Smashers, who usually stumble in via FB)
- Expensive fee structure and difficult logistics ($15 venue fee; $20+ parking)
- Smash can not be a part of OHN this year because the venue is too small.

What this means is that the suggestion that Sydney needs to tie in with the FGC may not actually produce the same kind of benefit as it has for Melbourne. In many ways, the Sydney Smash scene is more advanced than its FGC. The last RoS pulled 60(?) people; ACL pulled a similar number despite its hefty price tag. From a growth perspective, ACL has the best supporting infrastructure of any venue I've come across in Australia (that livestream!), the space is huge, prestigious and the Gords/ACL combination seems to be fruitful and painless.

I would certainly like to see Sydney Smash strengthen it's position with ACL and I may consider providing assistance to ramp up its presence in the Aussie lineup of tournaments.

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
Us in tassie could hold a major if needed
We are having a tournament sometime this year so I could discuss with the hobart guys

Gords

Smash Champion
@ Attila_ Attila_ , I also agree with your point about SS admins neglecting communication with the smash scene.

In regards to Sydney FGC
@ CAOTIC CAOTIC has summed it up perfectly. Its not like we haven't tried to integrate with the Sydney FGC but in my experience they cannot provide the environment Sydney Smash requires to grow. This years OHN is being held in the same room as their normal local events which just isnt large enough to support us, infact the room will barely be able to support smash alone if we held a major event in there.
I personally feel that Sydney's FGC would gain more by integrating with Sydney Smash Scene rather than the other way around.

In regards to majors in Sydney.
I feel the community in Sydney is large enough to warrant 2 Majors a year. ACL had 61 attendees, and the last RoS had 57. with both melee and PM breaking 40 entrants, I would say about half of the RoS turnout wasnt at ACL as well.
I too would like to see Sydney Smash strengthen it's position with ACL, and I will definitely be in contact with the ACL guys to try and get Smash back onto their line up for 2015. From discussions with them after last time they seem eager to have us again, but atm its not guaranteed.

I also agree that since Melbourne has (without question) the largest and most active Smash scene in Australia that they should have more majors. To my Knowledge you have 3 atm, (Miles Warehouse, BAM, SS). My suggest is more having Majors separated somewhat evenly throughout the year (with maybe an exception for the holiday season). However I understand this may be hard since most of our Majors are linked with other communities (VIC - FGC, Qld - Lansmash, NSW - ACL)

S.D

Smash Master
Regarding this vague term "major" what would the community like to see in 2015 with regard to 'majors" and a national circuit?

Would we be best served having three "majors" one in each of the eastern states and a final ALA MLG, with ranking and seeding points etc? Possible even one in Perth/NZ?

Or are people happy enough with people billing tournaments as majors just kinda coz?

It would take a lot of coordination to organise a national circuit, but it's kind of now or never.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'm not a fan of the idea of a national circuit mostly because other state big events for players like me become:

oh it's just part of the ACL series? I'll just wait and play my own one, cbf travelling out of state.

If each event is unique it gives me much more motivation to go travel for it.

I'm happy with other states calling whatever event a "Major" but I don't think a season where there's like 5 events in 2 months is good in any way. A single period with 5 events simply doesn't appeal to me in the slightest for the exact same reason again:

oh there's a major in sydney? I just played everyone here/I am going to play everyone in two weeks here anyway so why bother cbf.

There's other things like people needing leave, school/uni holiday periods not lining up, lack of money to travel so much in a short period of time.

I feel the intense smash summer only favours a small few in comparison to most players.

If others have the same attitude as me we will simply get low turnouts at all events due to things like this, meaning that no event ends up being big.

my 2c

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I was more angling for a spread out series over the course of a year, not like a 5 events in 2 months type of thing.
I share the same attitude still as the first point regarless of a course of a year. I'd only attend my own state + the finals (if theyre even in another state)

Basty

Smash Ace
Yo mlg style point ranking circuit system?
As long as its MLG Anaheim 2014 style where 4 players can make it in through another bracket I'm up for it

Meredy

The Busterina
It'd penalize the players who are simply unable to travel around the east coast by making them fall behind in whatever points they'd otherwise get.

S.D

Smash Master
And reward those who travel Out of State and contribute to national growth... this is bad how?
Regardless, better players will make their way to the top ranking points or no. It's just an idea.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I really like the idea of some ranking points just to build up the interstate hype. You can look and be like wtf how does mytus have more points than me I'm going to rek that shrub.

Basty

Smash Ace
If each state had a qualifier it would be good
Maybe we could have the circuit all year round and in 2016 Miles Warehouse 3 could be the place to hold it
If all year round could happen it would be twice as many people going to them
For example some could be
Miles Warehouse 2
Shadowloo Showdown 6
BAM 7
ACL Sydney
Play Warehouse 7 (If that ever happens)
New Zealand, WA, Tassie and SA could have there own qualifiers as well but I can't think of any big ones

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
So at the moment I'm looking at for the next six months:

November - Possible Sydney Monthly
December - Possible Sydney Monthly
January - Miles Warehouse 2
January - RMIT
January - Sydney Major
February - Shadowloo Showdown 6

I'm so hyped!

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
Play Warehouse is a monthly tournament, Buttonsmash is the QLD major coming up.
Well then scrap what I said
Maybe the bigger tournaments would offer more points?
For example winning SS6 could= 80-110 points and smaller ones like say a Tasmanian or ACT Tournament would= 20-50 points?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
SA can quite easily make a good quality major happen if it'll be part of a circuit

I second the notion that it should be a year or half a year-long thing though, as opposed to cramming it into a couple of months.

Basty

Smash Ace
Turns out I'm not coming to ss6
SCHOOL STARTS 2 DAYS BEFORE HAND WTF
So Miles Warehouse 2, BAM 7 and ACL are looking my most likely tourneys to go to

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Super late shoutouts, best tourney so far so goodddd

Special thanks to SD/Jason for letting me stay in their hotel room, and super thanks to Smoking Puppy for letting me rest in the hotel room when I was getting mauled by shadowflu tqtqtqtq

See you all next year!

Gords

Smash Champion
I don't mind there being a circuit if the runs similar to MLG, where ranked players play pools and then there is open bracket pools into bracket.
Although I feel it's not necessary and I would likely prefer to run the scene with set majors spread out through year for 2015 at least.

Also regarding sydney major in Jan. I will most likely forgo hosting a major in Jan due to the already stacked lineup and similar reasons mentioned by redact and wait till July (hopefully with ACL). I will then consider hosting a second major in 2015 around late November early December.

Attila_

BRoomer
BAM 7 is still on track for May, probably the weekend after mother's day. I should be able to confirm this by the weekend.

Attila_

BRoomer
It looks like it.

Like I said, I'm pretty pissed with this whole SS nonsense. As much as people would like majors spread out, our hands are tied here.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Looks like it.

Edit: ninja'd :p

With Gords' decision to purge the January Sydney Major, I've decided to stay in Melbourne from early January (2nd) to around February 9th or 10th. I plan to stay with my family in Middle Park and St Kilda and I'll attend Miles Warehouse 2, any RMIT that's around that time and Shadowloo Showdown 6 in February.

I'll give some of you guys my phone number and if you want to hang out at any point just give me a call and I'll let you know if I'm game!

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
I feel like that other states including SA, WA and Tassie should step up there game and hold some majors during the second half of 2015
Though I do understand the problem with holding a WA major as it does cost more money to go there than say Queensland

Meredy

The Busterina
I feel like that other states including SA, WA and Tassie should step up there game and hold some majors during the second half of 2015
Though I do understand the problem with holding a WA major as it does cost more money to go there than say Queensland
Tassie needs a scene first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom