• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SF4 your thoughts on it now since I crave Boxer

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Lol theres a reason for the Tyson thing...

Im on that Rocky mission. And I wanna wreck wit the real M. Byson

Hows the competitive SF4 scene lookin?

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
The competitive scene for SF4 is amazing.. Its pretty easy for you to get into it from my opinion, but the learning curve is ridiculous. Its not like Brawl where you think you can approach safely, there are ways but when you first start its difficult. Their online play is amazing too, by far one of the best fighters I played.

Equi

Smash Ace
I only played it when it first came out at a friends, and I instantly realized you could just do that spin thing with Zangief over and over. That was fun. It's like Meta Knight's tornado. I'm sure by now people have a lot of different counters around it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Lol. You can kinda just jump zangief's SPD, like you can in... ANY street fighter.

Competitive SF4 is big. Real big. Just like everything else that's coming out atm, it's not the best of the series by any stretch, but it's not a bad game at all.

Offense and defense is fairly balanced, so you get to see a good variety of playstyles among character to character.

__

Boxer himself is pretty legit. He's got tools to deal with almost every situation. Infact, his weakest area is his wakeup (which you need to note is fairly bad, but he's not helpless).

He's got **** good damage, can combo into his ultra fairly easily, has real good mixups, yadayada.

The thing you have to realize about boxer (imo) is that most of your mixups are going to come from throw mixups. I mean yes, you have a viable overhead to use (one that will, at the least, lead to knockdown. at the most, lead to ultra), but it's not too hard to catch if you're paying attention, so you cant BANK on it.

With the addition of focus attacks, 'Rog's got plenty of ways to deal with projectiles (read: camping *** sagats). FADC, Jumping, Headbutts, EX Punches, TAP (dont bank on TAP TOO much), it's just not as bad as it's been in previous games.

**** good poking game too. I mean, it's not a super poke game or anything, s.FP being his longest poke, c.mp (which can be linked) being his second, but they're there. And then he's got **** good counter pokes (s.FK, c.mp, c.mk, and his frickin 3-frame jab)

__

Boxer.

Is.

Good.

..... that aint sakura though. ^__^

AfroQT

Smash Master
I only played it when it first came out at a friends, and I instantly realized you could just do that spin thing with Zangief over and over. That was fun. It's like Meta Knight's tornado. I'm sure by now people have a lot of different counters around it.
Lariot is easy to get around lol.

c_pokey

Smash Rookie
SF4 community is huge. I appreciate what it did for the SF community. But I'm still an ST fanboy.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Boxer is actually the reason I don't like the game nearly as much as I'd like to.

;_;
Whats wrong with boxer?
SF4 is leagues above ****in Thirdstrike.
As anyone whos ever played the game competitively will say. its GuessStrike, not thirdstrike.

SF4 is also the best fighter out

GA Peach

Smash Lord
It nerfs the hell out of his ultra, and there are WAY gayer ultras.
true, but this combo is not done for the damage. when you do this combo, no matter where you are, it puts the opponent in the corner, which is where Boxer wants them. the combo into ultra is used almost solely for positioning purposes. the damage is not horrible on it, either though. like Dogy said, Boxer is one of the most solid characters in the game, possessing tools for many situations, above average life, and very good damage options. he has a couple of issues, like dealing with fireballs in certain situations, but he is quite good. lol, XIF hates Boxer due to the incredibly hard matchup Blanka has against him, which is understandable. i just don't like Boxer because A LOT of people play him, and i get bored of seeing his ugly face sometimes, lol.

AfroQT

Smash Master
true, but this combo is not done for the damage. when you do this combo, no matter where you are, it puts the opponent in the corner, which is where Boxer wants them. the combo into ultra is used almost solely for positioning purposes. the damage is not horrible on it, either though. like Dogy said, Boxer is one of the most solid characters in the game, possessing tools for many situations, above average life, and very good damage options. he has a couple of issues, like dealing with fireballs in certain situations, but he is quite good. lol, XIF hates Boxer due to the incredibly hard matchup Blanka has against him, which is understandable. i just don't like Boxer because A LOT of people play him, and i get bored of seeing his ugly face sometimes, lol.
I didnt say it was bad, and i know its done for positioning, but there are still much much gayer ultras, like Sagats and Ryus.

I love Boxer, i play Akuma...lol. As a Akuma player im only worried about the damage lol, Boxer has no mixup...and i can tech throws pretty decently. As long as your okay at teching throws balrog shouldnt be a problem....

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i want to pick up this game. who should i be out of these two.

cviper

akuma

i like viper cause she is fast and has some pretty sick looking at's i do not know her downside besides having no projectile. is she versatile?

akuma looks badass and has projectiles that can overpower ex projectiles lol, has jumping hadokens and can teleport and seems to be a good turtle if he wanted to. downside is his health, does health matter?

anyway help. who has better mixups/ better damage output overall/ combos/ versatility.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
true, but this combo is not done for the damage. when you do this combo, no matter where you are, it puts the opponent in the corner, which is where Boxer wants them. the combo into ultra is used almost solely for positioning purposes. the damage is not horrible on it, either though.
Ya know, I never thought of it like that. I gotta start throwin that s*** more instead of saving it for full ultras. I usually try to smash -> c.lk -> headbutt ultra for damage. I've been trying to look for positioning things, but I never thought of the **** ultra. XD

Especially since im notorious for throw shenanigans.

i just don't like Boxer because A LOT of people play him, and i get bored of seeing his ugly face sometimes, lol.
Im fairly certain alot of people play him because of the Jwong effect from various tourneys. I mean granted I really am playing 'rog cause he was the last guy I landed on at my first tourney, so I "had to run with it" for various reasons (people came up to the shop to beat my rog), I cant lie, Jwong made that look more do-able for me than playing Ryu (which is comical when you think about it)

__

I could go off on another tangent, but I'll keep this one short.

It is real easy to get stuff accomplished when you play 'rog. I mean my other actual main is sakura, and no matter what kinda stuff I think I can pull, I know that realistically I could just go 'rog, jab alot, and win (as long as I dont do blatently dumb stuff). He's really got ALOT going for him.

I didnt say it was bad, and i know its done for positioning, but there are still much much gayer ultras, like Sagats and Ryus.
Or blanka's for chip (not really), but yeah, if you want to make a scale of gayness for ultras, those 2 would just HAVE to be up there.

Rog's isnt far off though.

I love Boxer, i play Akuma...lol. As a Akuma player im only worried about the damage lol, Boxer has no mixup...and i can tech throws pretty decently. As long as your okay at teching throws balrog shouldnt be a problem....
Waaat? He's got mixups, it's just not a STRONG mixup. Like, it's not really that strong at all, but it's far from nonexistant.

i want to pick up this game. who should i be out of these two.

cviper

akuma

i like viper cause she is fast and has some pretty sick looking at's i do not know her downside besides having no projectile. is she versatile?

akuma looks badass and has projectiles that can overpower ex projectiles lol, has jumping hadokens and can teleport and seems to be a good turtle if he wanted to. downside is his health, does health matter?

anyway help. who has better mixups/ better damage output overall/ combos/ versatility.
Well, Akuma is the better character right now, and probably always will be. Overall he winds up being better because he's pretty much a full package. He's got a ridiculously good mixup game just from his demon flip alone (Check the guy's youtube for Super/Ultra trixies, as well). Beyond that, akuma still has his ridiculous runaway game with air hadoukens (which btw, HE HAS A GOOD MIXUP GAME OFFA THAT TOO). Gets some meaty damage offa combos and yeah, has plenty of ways to escape pressure (he can fight out, he can run out, etc etc). His only huge flaw is his low health. But just follow in the footsteps of Isai and "Dont get hit".... Lol.

Now with that being said, Viper isnt bad by any stretch of the imagination, she's just REAL hard to play. Dont take me as gospel, but I tell people who want to play her "You're probably going to get frustrated unless you have a stick, unless you just enjoy being a garbage viper." She's got alot of tricks and gimmicks working off of her cancels and whatnot, but you CANT ****up. With viper, you'll be crossing the everlasting s*** out of people with burnkick trick, along with a mad good overhead as a viable mixup option (not linkable from, a.f.a.i.k. :( ). She also has a huge perk in that she's ridiculously hard to zone with projectiles due to OPTIONS UPON OPTIONS for dealing with it. Lightning fist under, burn kick over, seismic fist -> super jump in for punish, or just superjump around (along with the standard options).

*edit* On the note of viper, I happen to be watching some SF4 vids and came across This vid. I mean, Marn isnt known for his viper I think, (Dont quote me on that), but that's the kinda stuff viper does.

"She's like, f***ing Guilty Gear and everybody else is Super Turbo." -My own quote, spinning off of Dragonchartz and Team Your the best from Now.
*end edit*

Neither one of them are bad, although I cant act like Akuma isnt BETTER.

Realistically, as long as the character fits your playstyle, I wouldnt say ANYBODY in the game is a bad choice (unless you say Dan, and then that's questionable. XD) BUT EVEN HE ISNT HORRID.... he just isnt like... uber. :|

*roll taunts out of the thread*

GA Peach

Smash Lord

i'm not saying that you thought it was bad, i was just addressing that you said the combo nerfed the ultra damage, which it does, and that people did the combo for more than damage purposes.

@Dogy - well, a TON of people played Boxer before Justin started using him a lot in tourneys. Boxer is just a very good, VERY easy to use character, which is why a lot of people use him.

Top Bottom