• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SF:E Winter 2007, Oregon Tournament - Dec. 29th

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Discussion
I want to ask everyone what their opinions are on what the entrance fees should be. I'm thinking WA would like it something like this: Singles ($10/per), Doubles ($20/team), which should be fine since SF:E is only once a season and should have bigger stakes.

But here's something else to discuss:
I'm thinking of lowering the tourney entrance fees and charging a "house" fee. This money will be added to the tournament funds and will be a good compromise for those who want to come play friendlies and those who want to compete for money.

If so, it would probably work out something like this:
$5 Admission Fee​
$5 Singles per person​
$20 Doubles per team​
Singles Payout
Admission Fee + Singles Entrance split 60/30/10

Doubles Payout
Doubles Entrance split 70/30

So, points to discuss:
  • Entrance Fee (yay or nay, and what it goes toward)
  • Singles Admission Fee (amount)
  • Doubles Admission Fee (amount)
  • Singles Payout (how it's split)
  • Doubles Payout (how it's split)
Edit:
Hm... I can't change the banner because my computer now freezes up right after booting up. I'll try to fix it on a different computer and then upload it somehow, but until then, just ignore the preliminary date on the banner.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
That is an amazing idea. I wish I would have thought of that at DoDu. There were way too many people there to hog all of the TVs for friendlies and not even enter singles.

Genius.

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
I think its a great Idea. I do love people to come to friendlies and one of the reasons the friendlies people don't do the tournament thing is beause of the mentality of "Well i'm just going to lose money". Money is one of the big reasons people come down. We all need money to do everything we want to do and if you even COME to the tourny, for anything, it's nice to give a little to the community.

Its also good advertising or marketing or whatever. Having an enterance fee will lower the singles cost, that illusion might even make people dish it out since its not omgtendollarswtfBBQonmyfaceholysh*tson!

I veto all negative votes for the idea and put a bagillion down for the idea.
Foos, as your advisor, we should vote for this idea. /spirit fingers of influence

I'm also thinking, if people do the house fee were going to see a LOT more money in the pot. And money for food and stuff.
If you advertise the 5 dollar house fee as something to get food as well, that will help too. Having it required is important though. And make sure everyone knows about it.

I got the three days off for this tourny Timmy.
If you need me to brainstorm with you, i'll do that today.

edit:

I think there should be a 3'd place for teams (give em a stuffed football or something funny. bubblegum, lint, SOMETHING. no enterance fee would be cool)

and a 4'th 5'th place for singles. same as above. We should see if we have something valuable we can give timmy. C'mon this IS X-mas season. Lets go buy like.. a candy bar or something for them losers. BAHAHAAHA

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I like the idea but I would like 3rd for doubles as well and yeah good idea on the admission fee even though doubles 20 dollars makes me uncomfortable

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was thinking $15 per team for Doubles, but then it's split... $7.50 each, which makes people have to handle change. Maybe... $14 for Doubles then?

If the Admission Fee is going toward food, then the price for Singles would have to be unchanged.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The only other idea that's better is getting sponsorship to help pay for costs or put in for prizes.
But, yeah, I'm all for that idea. It'd probably get people to pay out an extra $5 for entering, which would motivate them to play. Even if they don't enter, that's extra money for the prize whereas before it'd be less prize money.
And I do like 3rd place getting at least their entrance fee back.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
3rd place FTW? Yea I like this idea a lot, but everyone who comes should enter. Speaking of which does anyone need a teammate because I think I'm gonna be the only one from OC that's gonna be there. Shin? Teamsies? Team Political Party FTW?

~Shin~

Smash Apprentice
Shin? Teamsies? Team Political Party FTW?
If Tudios can't come, i'm aaallll yours dude.

Team Political Powerhouse?
Team Totalitarian Tuba's?

omg, i'm the advisor and I duno what name to use.

If Tudios does get to come though, team Shin-newby-ohs is the 4tw'z's

/flex

Binx

Smash Master
I think 16 or 14 for teams, yes on the 5 dollar door fee, and i say no on third place team prize because it makes the competition hotter. In fact I don't think I am going to do a third place prize at PK again regardless of entry fees/number of people. I want to improve and the best 3 people are gonna have to work **** hard to make it to the top 2, one of them aint gettin jack.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I think the 3rd place team should get their money back because they did so well in the tournament it's kinda weird that 3rd place wouldn't get something.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Just a few things for everyone to consider:

If money is a motivator for "hotter competition", then it doesn't matter which placing gets that motivation because somone, somewhere will be "guarenteed" money whether it's 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th. If this was an important factor, then only 1st place should get money so that everyone who is motivated by money receives that motivation beginning to end. And the finals is where we want to see the best players playing their hardest anyway.

I don't think 5th place should get money (with such small tournies as Oregon has) because tie-breakers have to be played to determine 5th spot. Paying out to all 5th place ranks circumnavigates the tie-breaker games but then more money comes out of the pot.

Compensating 3rd place the entrance fee is a nice consolation prize and doesn't really take away from the pot for 1st & 2nd, except in tournaments with smaller attendees/entrance fees.

Only paying out to 1st/2nd (70-30) makes payouts easier to handle, especially in Doubles where it is usually split 50-50 between the teammates.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Alright well I'm down with 3rd not getting their money back I just thought it would be cool, I honostly don't really care much though cause I'm not getting 3rd lol. If I team with Shin we win game over man, we veto your team and you can't play any more and that's how it is.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Agreed that if it's about fighting for the money than only 1st place should get cash prize. But, I'm sure everyone would be playing to win once they get into semi-finals, so it's not motivation they need, but a prize for trying their best, even if they take third, reminding them victory was just within their grasp and the consolation prize is just a taste of what is in store for when they take first next time.

And with the admission fee, there should be more money to include in the prizes that it wouldn't take money away from anyone else if there's a payout to 3rd.

Of course, smaller turnouts, especially in teams, wouldn't be able to pay out as much, so it'd be more like 70/30 or winner-take-all.

Balloon

Smash Lord
I'm for 3rd place getting money back in teams.

I'm for a house fee to contribute to the pot so there are no freeloaders.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Good thing this SF:E won't have a small turnout, it will be more like the mall the day after Thanksgiving... except a lot funnerer.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sounds like most people would like 3rd place teams to get their money back. So I guess we go with that?

Edit:
Changed payout for doubles on first page and on Tia.

Jem.

Smash Master
No, I think he just tries to act like he knows him..
Get it, I've met him and stuff and talked with him in person >_>

BC you're really weird and stuff..

Climax11

Smash Ace
So...pc then is some sorta big deal ? (remember, I'm still kinda green to everything).

I hope someday people take on my name. Little BiMaxes11, or ClitAxes11.

That'd be the day.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
PC Chris is definitely one of the top five best players in the US. But BC Chris was lying when he said that PC was coming.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Haha, I seriously knew someone was going to come in and say that. You could argue that M2K, Chu Dat, Ken and even KoreanDJ are better.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Haha, I seriously knew someone was going to come in and say that. You could argue that M2K, Chu Dat, Ken and even KoreanDJ are better.
And they are all attending SF:E
Please add them to the confirmed list.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Uh oh, I don't think Washington is coming to this. Gimpy is going to be home on the 29th and they want to play with him. Unlucky.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
id say the only person you could argue is better is ken, douche as he may be. m2k even. but what do i know?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Umm if KDJ, Ken, and Chu were better then PC they would have gotten in the finals within the last three huge tournies. PC Chris and M2K are the best right now M2K has beat PC more though as of late. Ken is not good now don't mention him. KDJ doesn't go to very many OoS tournies anymore and Chu just doesn't win anything.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Lol don't get me wrong PC's good but don't say that Ken is not good now, he's still better than anyone in Oregon just like the top WA players except Ken is probably better than some of them too, Ken took a little break off of smash and then at the next tournament he said he was going to he was going to go all roy and gannon and he did and he still took what 7th?

joshisrad

Smash Lord
KDJ is like New York based isn't he? But it'd be slick if he came, we could go sarging :D (minh knows what I'm talking about)

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
That tournament he used marth and such it was evo world he did that and I don't know what he placed I am not saying he is bad compared to us but in top players like PC, M2K, and Mango he is pretty scrub now he is good though I am not saying he isn't even though what I said made it seem that way haha

Top Bottom