• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senate Sponsored: SWF Suggestion Box (No smiley suggestions!)

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I think an option to display your gender on your profile would be needed.... there's been too many times I've mistake a girl for a guy and a guy for a girl... only to find out they're not months later. >.<

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
"Needed" is a strong sentiment. It's the internet, and I imagine people would lie about their gender pretty often on a forum. Besides, we're talking about Smash Brothers--What does a person's sex or gender matter in relation to that? This isn't Okcupid. :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Obviously because people without a gender play better than those with one. It's a scientifically proven fact.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not, but what if there were Easter eggs hidden around the site? Like to start we can have 10 and if someone finds all ten then they get a postbit or something. Though I realize once someone finds all ten they'll be telling everyone and so that's why make it who ever finds all ten first is the only one that gets it.

:phone:

John2k4

The End of an Era
I think something similar was done on Talk-Like-A-Pirate day.

"Needed" is a strong sentiment. It's the internet, and I imagine people would lie about their gender pretty often on a forum. Besides, we're talking about Smash Brothers--What does a person's sex or gender matter in relation to that? This isn't Okcupid. :p
Man I can't begin to tell you how many times people went up to me thinking I was a girl because of all my avatars. A gender option isn't needed, but it's pretty convenient, and there's very little reason to not have it on considering we have options for locations and birthdays. Might as well complete the a/s/l. :smirk:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure vbulletin allows for options like "don't display gender anyway," I agree with Dan here.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but what do you guys think of a Smashboards App? Is such a thing possible, or is that too lofty an idea? Just figured I'd give my thought on that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll look into implementing gender profile options sometime this week.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Anything is "possible to do". Problem is: it would take a long time to code and debug. On top of that, remember that MLG owns the place, and getting approval, etc. for such a thing would probably end up not working too well.

If a specific app for Smashboards was requested, what would set it apart from something like Tapatalk? No point in re-inventing the wheel unless we have some really snazzy/cool accessibility features to add on top of an app for just posting on forums.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
When quoting posts, can it include whatever posts that were quoted? Similar to the way the PMs work.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
When quoting posts, can it include whatever posts that were quoted? Similar to the way the PMs work.

The only thing you can try is manually putting the quoted post within the post you want to quote in yourself using the quote function. If you want the quote within the quote to include the poster's name, etc., trying opening the post via quoting in a different tab/window and copy the entire quote (code and all) and paste it into the quote.

That wasn't a confusing mouthful, was it?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
He knows. And it's a hassle especially for mafia games where the quote within the quote is important to keep. And having to run back and get it every time is both tiring and tedious.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah, there's no option to do that. If I want it to have the arrow and username etc. I just open up the quote that won't show in another tab and multi-quote the two posts so I have them in one place, at which point you can manually cut/paste it so it looks the way it's supposed to.

Or you could just do the lazy way and throw
[./quote] tags around the text.
Also if you just want the username to show you can do that but like
Ndayday said:
[./quote]

(without periods, obviously)

edit: oh ok, this is a good suggestion so I would post it in the Suggestion Box so admins can see it. there might be a workaround?

wow disregard the posting in the Suggestion Box thing haha.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It's especially frustrating to have to do the workaround on mobile.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I like that suggestion. Multi-level quotes (to an extent) would be nice.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Is it possible to have an option of disabling the green mushroom icon after purchasing premium?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
You can hide the mushroom icon by going to user cp -> edit options -> hide user info -> award icons.

This will hide all of your postbits such as the Brawl backroom icon, though. If you want to hide the mushroom icon specifically, you will have to use an adblock on the image.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Probably trivial, but maybe the "Mark Forums Read" link in the mobile version of SWF should be placed somewhere else; oftentimes, I try to go into the Premium-exclusive Disco Room just to accidentally hit "Mark Forums Read", which then messes with everything, especially my subscriptions. Just my suggestion to make the mobile version more touch screen-friendly, I guess?

John2k4

The End of an Era
I've had that happen before.

Maybe have that link lead to a confirmation screen?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
^ That would be nice.

Which reminds me, status on my earlier suggestion about nested quotes?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll look into implementing gender profile options sometime this week.
Man sorry for being like, a month and a half late. I really dropped the ball there.

Anyway, gender is implemented now. It's in "Edit your details". You can select blank (hide), male, female, or unknown.

You can also hide everyone's gender from your view, along with other profile attributes, from the "Edit Options" page.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Those icons don't look so great. They don't fit, imo. I suggest you just use the text versions.

♂♀

EDIT: Never mind. The text versions look bad, too.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Some stuff has been worked on to prepare it for fixing.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
What about nested quotes and multiquoting on mobile?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It seems some people are having issues with the gender display. While I personally don't mind it, I will admit that aesthetically, it looks weird. Maybe one fix is to set the gender symbols as postbits?

What about nested quotes and multiquoting on mobile?
I second this. It would make SWF Mobile more convenient than it already is.

Top Bottom