• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeing a lot of complaints about "spammy" players online, if you're one of those people, listen up..

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Everest

Smash Cadet
You aren't as good as you think you are.

As boring as you personally find the play-style to play, your opponent is not striving to excite you. He's striving to beat you. If he sees that beating you is as easy as rolling from edge to edge while repeatedly hitting a projectile, then there is only one person at fault here for losing : you. It could even be that what they're doing is working on you, it's causing you frustration, thus he's winning the mental game. Surely, you understand that the players committing to these strategies would stand no chance versus a competent player. What they're doing is predictable and easy to read. Then there's you, who loses it. That is on you.

Keep training and get better, because before the next time you decide to whine about a "spammy" character or talk about how it's no fun to play against, take a moment to realize that you are losing to it. So what does that make your play style? Maybe you need to show your opponent that such a strategy will not work on you? Maybe your opponent is doing it because it's the easiest, most low-effort method possible that is proving to be effective.

Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion. However, if you consistently beat these types of players, it's unlikely you have any issue in the first place. It's a free win to your %. If you're losing though, you need to take a good look at your game, and improve it.
In a way I was always considering things with your opinion. You are not able to win against a spammy ennemy ? Then this is harsh to say but he did the right thing to win, his play style is better than yours. That's it, end of the story.

I never thought of myself as an excellent smash player, but I never had any problems to deal with some spammy adversaries in "for glory". So when I found out that so many people were complaining of such players, I said to myself : "ah if these guys are really struggling against these kind of opponents, they should suck ! I'm not that bad I guess !" Yes, I was haughty. But also innocent at that time being.

Then some hours ago I realised after a couple of awful matches that I was wrong. Terribly wrong. By chance, all my previous versus against spammy adversaries had happened without any significant lag. Lag is very disruptive against any kind of adversary. But a spammy adversary with lag is the worst thing that can ever happen to you. It's like everything on this freaking planet has turned against you.

You try to block, you're late. You try to approach by jumping, you're late. You try to punish a mistake, you're late. Of course the roll is a lot safer now (which IMO is not necessary a bad thing) so the ennemy roll and roll like hell and since you're not Shulk and can't exactly predict the future before it's happening, you miss the opportunity to give a hit, because of course you're late. Now, all your efforts are ruined and the ennemy is in the opposite corner of the stage again like at the beginning of the battle except that you are at 40%, because this *#@! shield was late. The only thing in your mind at te endof the match is : "Geez ! There should have been another game for these kind of people named Super Spam Brothers"

Of course your ennemy is late too but eh, when your only things to do are spamming boomerang/missiles/arrows/laser beam, and ehm... roll, it's not that much of a handicap. And that's not like if FD was not the perfect stage for a spammy character.

Well since this terrifying event I'm a proud member of the "please Lucifer, you got my soul, so kill slowly and painfully any spammy guy" community.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Are people seriously losing to projectile spam in this game? It's not even that strong overall, there's nothing comparable to Melee / PM Samus with her crazy platform cancel missile barrages.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Are people seriously losing to projectile spam in this game? It's not even that strong overall, there's nothing comparable to Melee / PM Samus with her crazy platform cancel missile barrages.
This is the thing, I'm having nightmares of godlike spammers somewhere out there, lurking in the darkness ready to take my soul in the laggy depths of hell. Ultimately what I get is someone who's 2-stocked in under 90 seconds. I'm not even particularly good, and generally randomise my character. Spamming just isn't that powerful in this game.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
This is the thing, I'm having nightmares of godlike spammers somewhere out there, lurking in the darkness ready to take my soul in the laggy depths of hell. Ultimately what I get is someone who's 2-stocked in under 90 seconds. I'm not even particularly good, and generally randomise my character. Spamming just isn't that powerful in this game.
Actually, I just saw this. This is pretty legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kH1_AQusnk

Toon Link can cancel his aerial landing lag with Down B if he has a bomb out, allowing for some pretty crazy projectile stuff (presumably Peach and Link can do this too but it's likely not as good for them).

Even still if someone is just doing this brainlessly you should just be able to jump over and kick them in the head. Lunchables is so effective because he mixes it up a lot.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I can beat campy players all day. When my opponent sticks to his/her campy game plan the whole match it's the biggest waste of time to me. I would rather the game be over with sooner so I can play someone that doesn't play 5 minute matches. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
I'll be blunt, this shouldn't have been made. It's damn near obvious that they are losing because 1. They can't learn to shake up their plays or 2. Don't know how to read their opponents. Again, if they can't learn on their own, fighting while doing their same mistakes, then shame on them. Remember, there IS a way to beat your opponent with ANY character, and before you ask. YES!!! Even with Little Mac. No matter what, it ALWAYS takes practice.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
I tired of seeing people complain about spammers.Spammers have been in the fighting game community since the start (1976),and they're not going away.It kinda like telling cigarette users to die out.We all know that they are doing something bad to himself and others,but they still not going to go away.In the end of the day if you face a spam you win automatically.Why you ask,because you're fighting like the developers want you to.To use strategy and skills.I personally like to kick there ***** with Megaman and fight the spammer till he leave the room.There is no use complaining about it.Just quit the match or beat'em up.They not ever going to get good so you not doing anything telling them to get good.Spammers will move on to a new player,and do you really think spammers why read this?If anything they just going to move on and over look this thread.You're not doing anything but typing up things when you could be doing something else.In the end of the day this thread is useless if baiting spammers was goal.I agree with you when it comes to spammers being annoying yes,but they not going away so why complain now?In a nutshell spammers are not going away and this thread is useless.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You aren't as good as you think you are.

As boring as you personally find the play-style to play, your opponent is not striving to excite you. He's striving to beat you. If he sees that beating you is as easy as rolling from edge to edge while repeatedly hitting a projectile, then there is only one person at fault here for losing : you. It could even be that what they're doing is working on you, it's causing you frustration, thus he's winning the mental game. Surely, you understand that the players committing to these strategies would stand no chance versus a competent player. What they're doing is predictable and easy to read. Then there's you, who loses it. That is on you.

Keep training and get better, because before the next time you decide to whine about a "spammy" character or talk about how it's no fun to play against, take a moment to realize that you are losing to it. So what does that make your play style? Maybe you need to show your opponent that such a strategy will not work on you? Maybe your opponent is doing it because it's the easiest, most low-effort method possible that is proving to be effective.

Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion. However, if you consistently beat these types of players, it's unlikely you have any issue in the first place. It's a free win to your %. If you're losing though, you need to take a good look at your game, and improve it.
I feel like these words are said by a god, somehow. Something to praise about the few things people need to learn in smash.

See Im surronded by real life people who aren't really that good, let alone terribble. In the case of Melee or Project M, that's very believeable with all of it's fancy wavedashing and l-canceling and what not. When it comes to Smash 4, it should at least be easier for people to use and have more of a shot of beating me.

I feel like I'm going to give the same information in this scenario: Don't be predictable. Ever. Never. Ever. I really hate Lucario in both the latest Smash Bros. because 50% of the time they spam dodge roll and aura sphere. I usually have no problems. Why? Because they're predictable. I know you're rolling to the other side, so I'll smash you there. You rolled into me? What's that? I have Jigglypuff on my side? Get. Rested. I'm Yoshi now. I knock you off the stage. What's that? You're going to jump to avoid my meteor smash? Too bad I went for jump then immediatley smashed upwards.

Being predictable is the worst, making Jigglypuff's rest even more fun :D, and this is something ANY smasher should know. Those who spam dodge roll, which can actually mean some defense when it comes to Smash 4 to be honest, should just try to learn how to play on the offensive side (and when I say that don't spam 1 other attacking move as well). I'm usually not good at explaining things, nor do people have the audacity to listen, but for GOD'S SAKE! Dodge roll is not good for someone to spam. Otherwise they're mindless ediots who, when fighting me, get rested. Hopefully the majority of Smashboards community playing Smash 4 knows this.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think there might be two different conversations going on in this thread.

On the one hand you have folks who are talking about what the thread was created to discuss: spamming. On the other hand you have some folks who are talking about something completely different: camping. Spamming and camping aren't mutually exclusive concepts; they can happen at the same time, but they certainly aren't the same thing. MK in brawl can spam Mach Tornado over and over again, but he's not really camping. Conversely, an effective camper is going to use his or her abilities to keep you where he or she wants you (while maintaining his or her zone), and may do so without necessarily spamming the same attacks. An effective camper is going to switch around what they're doing to stay unpredictable.

I think this thread is about spamming (not camping), so I'm going to limit my discussion to spamming.

If you're having trouble with spamming, then you should try and use it as a learning experience: "How do I beat this move with the character that I'm using? How do I get around it?" If you aren't having any trouble beating it, you can still use it as an opportunity to practice: "How many times in a row can I perfect shield this? I know that I can beat his move with x, but what other abilities can I use to win?"

It can be (and is) extremely frustrating to face a player who only spams one or two moves regardless of your ability, but there are ways to turn every fight into a learning opportunity as long as you maintain the right mindset. If you just want to have fun, and spamming players aren't your cup of tea, then you might just have to play with friends online (whether they're friends nearby or friends you've picked up here).

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
People spam i accept it but what are people suppose to be doing the game movement is pretty limited and you can only do so much. I don't like camping to get a win i just rather fight straight up.

errcs

Smash Rookie
You all sound like your'e too busy being angry rather than thinking of counters. BRB spamming rocksmash flamethrower and flareblitz in 4man.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
The reality is that when people ***** about camping/spamming or any other "cheap" tactic, those people are scrubs. End of story.

In glory mode people are playing just for that. Glory. Which means any tactic that is legal in the game will be used. What I mean by legal is not by any means socially acceptable, its just what is allowed in the confines on the game.

I main link, I try to poke with arrows and boomerangs then go in. Sometimes I go close in. I try to mix it up. A lot of times I win, sometimes I lose. Sometimes I lose because I use too many projectiles. Sometimes I win because my opponent has no idea how to counter it.

If you can't counter projectile spam, then you aren't good. There is really no other nice way to say it. If I can't counter certain things that other characters do well, I need to accept that and adjust my playstyle to be more effective.

Its the emotionally easier thing to blame your opponent for trying to win. "He uses projectile spam to win, so I am better because I do not" is just a mindset that will get you stuck. People who think like that NEVER become professionals or even proficient at the game at a high level because they will restrict their tactics due to some false sense of honor.

Please read this article for further reference.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
It's mainly the influx of all these new, horrible scrubs the 3DS release is inviting in.
Scrubs can pay money and click on advertisements on this site too.

A large smash community isn't a bad thing for the longevity of the game/prospect of future games being developed.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Players that camp honestly aren't that hard to beat. Just bait and attack, but don't rush in like a mad duck.

^My two cents^

BeastKiller6ixx

Smash Rookie
I think your play style is halting growth. Playing lame is easily beatable it's just 1) most of the stuff that is done is generally only viable online, 2) promotes a play style that replicates a single player action game instead of fighting game, 3) influences players to play that way because most players don't learn from heir mistakes and mimic the people they watch or lose to which for a majority of players is online.

In a competitive setting where online infrastructure isn't a factor, I think you would get completely worked by a player whose playing the game offensively because you don't have any delays assisting your play style. It's not that you're good or aren't good it's the system they is inherently assisting your awful play style.

You're literally playing the game to he point were the other player doesn't matter and doesn't have any influence

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
Players that camp honestly aren't that hard to beat. Just bait and attack, but don't rush in like a mad duck.

^My two cents^
what about campy straight-projectile people? :(
cursed shiek player with the chain swing-a-mabob and the constant grabs+shields when i try to approach or use a projectile back.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
Are you serious? This is the most condescending post I've ever seen on this site. Get over yourself.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I kind of like to transition from defense to offense almost immediately and vice-versa, it makes it hard for your opponent to adapt to rapid changes such as that. Some people say offense is the best defense, but you really have to be good at both disciples in this game to go far.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Luckily, I am really frustration-proof when it comes to a projectile-heavy opponent thanks to my best friend, who's main is Toon Link/young Link ( and a really spammy one at that!) while I always tried to beat him with DK.

Big hitbox, easily interrupted and juggled, but I still managed to win against my buddy with a 60:40 quote. So yeah, I don't find projectile spam that annoying. sometimes creative use of projectiles actually makes me applaud my enemy.

I saw a DHD in spectator mode who was kicking his cans around without using B, only to blow it off right next to his opponent. Crazy!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The only way to stop spamers from spaming is for them to either quit or learn better tactics. And the only way for either to happen is if people beat them consistently. Any and all spam is completely possible to deal with, and you must teach the spamer such before he'll stop.

I've heard the bullying example, and it's not "learn to avoid his attacks," it's "find the solution." With schoolyard bullys, tell a grown-up. With spamers, completely destroy them. If you never try the solution, things will never be solved.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
what about campy straight-projectile people? :(
cursed shiek player with the chain swing-a-mabob and the constant grabs+shields when i try to approach or use a projectile back.
I encountered a Sheik that did the same thing last night. It just took lots of patience... but eventually, I figured out that he didn't use many aerials, so I would just approach him with f-airs, and shielded projectiles into down-smash.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
as a Lucario main sometimes i like eating the damage from them flimsy projectiles

once the aura turns brolic, all the fully charged aura spheres are going thru them weak projectiles and hurt them

then they wanna get close and get that kllling hit before they get wiped...im like hold on, didnt you just wanna play with projectiles a second ago? it's my turn now :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Kane49

Smash Rookie
Its only frustrating for me when people lag like crap and then play sonic or similar characters that thrive on it.
Otherwise i know that when i loose, its on me and not the game.

Last edited:

Shmoe93

Smash Rookie
NNID
shmoe93
3DS FC
3222-6067-0595
Its only frustrating for me when people lag like crap and then play sonic or similar characters that thrive on it.
Otherwise i know that when i loose, its on me and not the game.
Like little macs that are able to spam jabs/tilts and not get punished for it because of lag

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
No matter what gaming community you go to, the same problems and arguments arise without fail.
You'd think people would realise by now that spammers will always be a part of the game, and there's nothing they can do about it. If people find strategies that work, they will exploit them, and there's nothing you can do to stop them from doing what they please.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
"Git gud"

10/10 thread
"Not enough CoD: 2.3/10" -IGN

But in all seriousness, I'm sure if it wasn't intended to be in the game, the developers wouldn't have allowed it. That's why spamming is allowed, but stale moves make this less effective. Lots of characters have counters to projectile spams, so learn to use them. Many projectiles aren't useful if you learn how to stop them. Like Samus' Charge Shot. If you rush at her you should probably jump before hitting her. Then they either stop focusing on that or they lose it. It can all be countered, shielded, or dodged.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The solution? Stop playing a garbage game.
That's why I stopped playing Marvel #shotsfired

Seriously at least this game doesn't have Morrigan. No one in Smash can clog the screen to an even slightly comparable degree.

Last edited:

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
I consistently beat them and yet still find them no fun and annoying. And what does it really matter what ur percent is like? It's not like it makes a difference, only I can see it.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I feel like certain characters are made with the intent on spamming though. Think about it, for instance, half of duck hunt dog's moves are ones that just BEG to be spammed

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I feel like certain characters are made with the intent on spamming though. Think about it, for instance, half of duck hunt dog's moves are ones that just BEG to be spammed
DHD isn't really a spammer, in order to control space with him you have to put his traps in smart spaces. If you just mash B the can is totally useless. Like Pac-Man, you have to put thought into it to use his traps.

Project M Samus is pure spam with missiles. You just shoot shoot shoot shoot mindlessly until they get in. Thankfully, nothing like that exists in this game.

Last edited:

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
DHD isn't really a spammer, in order to control space with him you have to put his traps in smart spaces. If you just mash B the can is totally useless. Like Pac-Man, you have to put thought into it to use his traps.

Project M Samus is pure spam with missiles. You just shoot shoot shoot shoot mindlessly until they get in. Thankfully, nothing like that exists in this game.
Well maybe it's just me then. I tend to spam either the can, the frisbee, or the gunner

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well maybe it's just me then. I tend to spam either the can, the frisbee, or the gunner
Sure, but presumably there's some logic dictating which ones you use and when (or else you probably lose a lot). There's a difference between mindless spamming and legitimate zoning, at least in games that are well-designed.

Top Bottom