• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeing a lot of complaints about "spammy" players online, if you're one of those people, listen up..

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

You aren't as good as you think you are.

As boring as you personally find the play-style to play, your opponent is not striving to excite you. He's striving to beat you. If he sees that beating you is as easy as rolling from edge to edge while repeatedly hitting a projectile, then there is only one person at fault here for losing : you. It could even be that what they're doing is working on you, it's causing you frustration, thus he's winning the mental game. Surely, you understand that the players committing to these strategies would stand no chance versus a competent player. What they're doing is predictable and easy to read. Then there's you, who loses it. That is on you.

Keep training and get better, because before the next time you decide to whine about a "spammy" character or talk about how it's no fun to play against, take a moment to realize that you are losing to it. So what does that make your play style? Maybe you need to show your opponent that such a strategy will not work on you? Maybe your opponent is doing it because it's the easiest, most low-effort method possible that is proving to be effective.

Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion. However, if you consistently beat these types of players, it's unlikely you have any issue in the first place. It's a free win to your %. If you're losing though, you need to take a good look at your game, and improve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
My personal favorite way of "winning the mind game" is to literally just perfect block every projectile until they get bored, then punish them when they come at me, or I just inch closer after every block and make them nervous,

Some people won't have the patience of waiting 5 minutes, but perfect blocking for fun against those players is good practice for me.

aozf05

Smash Cadet
I swear I totally fought against you Zipzo! :D
You make a lot of good points. I mean, I feel the same type of annoyance when I get juggled over and over by the same moves, except it's easier to realize in that situation that I'm the one at fault for not changing my landing approach. The same should go for fights against spammers.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I just don't like Robin players trying to time me out. The ones that just spam Arcfire always end up losing, but why would I want to play the stall war with them (either because I'm playing TLink and camping myself, or because I'm playing Lucina and very patiently trying to approach) when I could just play against someone else?

I think that's the real issue here. Same reason people complain about the "bad Macs"; they aren't losing to them, they just don't want to fight them in the first place.

I personally go to For Glory for fun and/or a challenge, depending on how I'm feeling. 9 times out of 10 the player I fight is either well below or well above my skill level. Ugh.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I have never seen someone write "get gud lolololol" with so many words.
Do you feel better, now that you "told them"?

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I don't know, do you feel better after this post here?
Seriously, what´s the point of this thread?

There´s already a "Spam" thread with like 6 pages of replies and where everyone concedes that Spam is something that you need to learn to deal with, and that it works only due to your inability to dodge that one move or couple of moves.

So what´s the point to make a separated thread just to tell them, again, that they should just get gud?
This reminds me of the Pokémon community and their regular "genwunner" threads even when no "genwunner" is around.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I've had a few guys do this online. It's a pretty cheap tactic, but I'll just keep attacking them over the other players so they don't get the opportunity to do it.

Usually the players who resort to doing that are complete trash.

D

Deleted member 245254

Seriously, what´s the point of this thread?

There´s already a "Spam" thread with like 6 pages of replies and where everyone concedes that Spam is something that you need to learn to deal with, and that it works only due to your inability to dodge that one move or couple of moves.

So what´s the point to make a separated thread just to tell them, again, that they should just get gud?
This reminds me of the Pokémon community and their regular "genwunner" threads even when no "genwunner" is around.
Do you really want to know?

Generally the point of the thread is detailed within both the thread title and the contents within the original post. If you don't understand the point, I suggest you simply read it again.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As a Duck Hunt main I am all for spam

My goal is to stay away from you and hit you from afar with everything I got

and I have 3 projectiles

It's not all I can do, but I warn you it's part of what I'm GOING to do

Edit: and as a Lemmy secondary prepare to face mechakoopas galore

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Warning Received

Generally the point of the thread is detailed within both the thread title and the contents within the original post. If you don't understand the point, I suggest you simply read it again.
Well, considering the original post and your replies, i am to assume the point of the thread was that you felt like showing how much of a holier-than-thou douche you are?

You should edit the thread´s title so it is easier to figure out.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Warning Received
I've had a few guys do this online. It's a pretty cheap tactic, but I'll just keep attacking them over the other players so they don't get the opportunity to do it.

Usually the players who resort to doing that are complete trash.
Yeah, it can be considered a cheap tactic, but cheap tactics always have their weaknesses and it takes patience to learn how to get around it. At the same time, the difference between a trash player and a skilled player is when they know when spamming "is enough" and will go in for a kill.

As a Duck Hunt main I am all for spam

My goal is to stay away from you and hit you from afar with everything I got

and I have 3 projectiles

It's not all I can do, but I warn you it's part of what I'm GOING to do

Edit: and as a Lemmy secondary prepare to face mechakoopas galore
Which is legit. In my opinion, that's what Duck Hunt dog's SUPPOSED to do. People may see it as cheap, but Duck Hunt Dog needs to rack that damage up by using all his skills.

Well, considering the original post and your replies, i am to assume the point of the thread was that you felt like showing how much of a holier-than-thou douche you are?

You should edit the thread´s title so it is easier to figure out.
Now, now, children. Surely we can be more assertive about this. Yes, there are topics about this already, but the thread's already here. Not much we can do about it now. You can take it up with a mod if you want this thread deleted.

ferioku

Smash Ace

I understand where you are coming from, and I do know how to deal with the campy players. It's just really annoying when they roll to the other side of the screen with characters like Greninja, and when you slip up is the only time they come to attack you.

Although It's easy to punish them when you get use to their play style, it gets really annoying when they lag as well. Those are the kind of players that completely ruin the online multi player, camp + lag is awful, and you can't deny that those type of players are annoying!

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Today I got a Link projectile spammer. I just powershielded or at least shielded his spam and slowly came closer until I could dashgrab or shorthop aerial him. In the air it's pretty much useless. It can get really annoying but once you see they are spamming you can predict them. Use that as your advantage.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I've never gotten the concept of complaining about the competitive nature of a competitive mode. The entire point of For Glory was for these competitive matches, yet people are complaining about exactly that. If you wanted someone to stand still and wait to be pummeled, there's plenty of modes for that offline, with no lag. Human players will do whatever they can to win the matches, and that's ultimately the entire point.

I personally go to For Glory for fun
...and there's your problem...

Seriously though, people play games for various reasons, in and a "for Glory" mode you've got to expect they'll play it in a competitive manner. If you don't want to be playing people who are playing the game, then there's really not much else for it.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
That's really not the point. It's just unfun to play against. It's not a matter whether of I win or lose against them, it's just annoying either way. If they're so obsessed with winning that they'll resort to running away and spamming the same attacks over and over again because they can't fight me, they can go ahead. It might work, it might not. I don't really care.. Either way I'm leaving as soon as the fight ends, because they're not the kind of person I want to play with.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
That's really not the point. It's just unfun to play against. It's not a matter whether of I win or lose against them, it's just annoying either way. If they're so obsessed with winning that they'll resort to running away and spamming the same attacks over and over again because they can't fight me, they can go ahead. It might work, it might not. I don't really care.. Either way I'm leaving as soon as the fight ends, because they're not the kind of person I want to play with.
You know that selection that says "For Fun" or "For Glory"..?

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
You know that selection that says "For Fun" or "For Glory"..?
So what? You're saying if we want to enjoy ourselves, don't play for glory?
I've already heard this in this thread, and it's silly. Just because it's not the "For Fun" mode, doesn't mean we're not supposed enjoy ourselves playing "For Glory".
For Glory is meant to be more competitive, not less fun.

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Sheik spams can get really annoying sometimes, but it's important to learn how to counter this sort of playstyle. As much as it frustrates me to come up against these players, I channel my rage into figuring out how to beat it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I usually stay with the spammers as long as I can. Not only does it teach me how to deal with certain moves with ease, but it also feels nice to beat up people who try to play dirty. Same thing goes for the people who just try to win via Bowsercide and the likes, it's fun to beat up people who reach that last straw of desperation in order to win. Hopefully it'll teach them that the tactic is very faulty and it'll make for a more comfortable online experience for others.

Last edited:

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
I usually stay with the spammers as long as I can. Not only does it teach me how to deal with certain moves with ease, but it also feels nice to beat up people who try to play dirty. Same thing goes for the people who just try to win via Bowsercide and the likes, it's fun to beat up people who reach that last straw of desperation in order to win. Hopefully it'll teach them that the tactic is very faulty and it'll make for a more comfortable online experience for others.
That's a good point. It's probably a good idea to stick around if they are winning. But if you're easily beating them, I'd probably still leave the game since there's not much to be learned if you can already work around that character's camp.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I'm one who just hates the existence of spammers that don't adapt. They press three buttons the whole game no matter what. Even as I'm dodging/blocking every hit they throw and tossing them off the edge, they still use those same three moves as if something's going to change. Nothing to do with losing, just aggravation.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

As boring as you personally find the play-style to play, your opponent is not striving to excite you. He's striving to beat you. If he sees that beating you is as easy as rolling from edge to edge while repeatedly hitting a projectile, then there is only one person at fault here for losing : you. It could even be that what they're doing is working on you, it's causing you frustration, thus he's winning the mental game. Surely, you understand that the players committing to these strategies would stand no chance versus a competent player. What they're doing is predictable and easy to read. Then there's you, who loses it. That is on you.

Keep training and get better, because before the next time you decide to whine about a "spammy" character or talk about how it's no fun to play against, take a moment to realize that you are losing to it. So what does that make your play style? Maybe you need to show your opponent that such a strategy will not work on you? Maybe your opponent is doing it because it's the easiest, most low-effort method possible that is proving to be effective.

Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion. However, if you consistently beat these types of players, it's unlikely you have any issue in the first place. It's a free win to your %. If you're losing though, you need to take a good look at your game, and improve it.
He? I really don't know why you assume all people playing are male. I, for example, am not and it is so annoying when people refer to online players (or players in general) as "he". Gender neutral pronouns exist, you know?

Anyways, I am not a good player, quite the opposite actually, but that doesn't change the fact spammy players are annoying. Yes, they are playing to win and that is fine, but their strategy to win still is sucks and anti-fun. It can't be helped, though, they are going to play whatever way they want, so complaining about those players is pointless.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The only problem I have with spammy players is the time limit isn't nearly enough to deal with them and I hate sudden death because it applies all of the pressure without any of the build up not to mention lucario tends to have a huge advantage given his ability

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I've faced some quite spammy players today, and ones that actually use it as a basis for a proper battle (that is, there's more in the kit bag than just spamming). Those who have spamming and nothing else are annoying, but they should be beatable and you can move on to playing other people afterwards.

He? I really don't know why you assume all people playing are male. I, for example, am not and it is so annoying when people refer to online players (or players in general) as "he". Gender neutral pronouns exist, you know?

Anyways, I am not a good player, quite the opposite actually, but that doesn't change the fact spammy players are annoying. Yes, they are playing to win and that is fine, but their strategy to win still is sucks and anti-fun. It can't be helped, though, they are going to play whatever way they want, so complaining about those players is pointless.
In many regions the "gender neutral" pronoun actually is 'he'. In the case that it's undefined many people tend to a number of different pronouns, generally 'he', but sometimes 'they' and 'it', with the latter two suffering from numerous issues in many regions. 'It' in particular is rarely used as it gives the impression of an object, or an animal, rather than a person in most regions. People who tend to "proper English" (linguistically there's no such thing, but people who like the concept still exist) actually get quite offended by the 'singular they'.

Personally, I prefer to the 'singular they' as a gender neutral pronoun, but there is nothing wrong with he within English. In this case in particular I certainly wouldn't be getting all up in a huff about it either. It's particularly worth noting that Zipzo is listed as being in Tokyo, and may well speak English as a second language. People who have been taught English textbook style will tend to avoid the 'singular they' (or may not even realise that it exists) as it's generally taught as being "wrong". I don't know Zipzo's background though.

Ultimately though, what on Earth is with this as a complain about Zipzo's post?

Last edited:

comics

Smash Cadet
Very nicely said, Zipzo. I wish more people would realize this.

If some dislike it so much, more players need to learn how to counter these strategies so that it's not even a problem.

Thanks for the informative post!

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I just don't like Robin players trying to time me out. The ones that just spam Arcfire always end up losing, but why would I want to play the stall war with them (either because I'm playing TLink and camping myself, or because I'm playing Lucina and very patiently trying to approach) when I could just play against someone else?

I think that's the real issue here. Same reason people complain about the "bad Macs"; they aren't losing to them, they just don't want to fight them in the first place.

I personally go to For Glory for fun and/or a challenge, depending on how I'm feeling. 9 times out of 10 the player I fight is either well below or well above my skill level. Ugh.
Same here.
Ive been facing a lot of Robins that time me out and win through sudden death projectile spam. To the point where as long as the stocks are even they will do any and everything to just keep away from me, not even trying to do poke damage in the process most of the time. Its annoying to play cat and mouse with them. THAT is annoying because its just a super long drawn out fight with NOTHING going on.

People use He online until proven otherwise because until a few years ago seeing a woman online was nigh-impossible to find. The few you did find were actually guys just posing as a girl.
i still act the same way. Unless you prove otherwise, youre a guy to me because majority if the time you ARE a guy. Far as i know youre the only girl on this forum. Probably others, but since advertising it is generally a bad idea i dont know if they are or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Oh, please. Are you being serious right now?

If this is what it takes to get you riled up I can't even imagine what other parts of the internet do to you. Whether you are a dude or not is about as irrelevant as it gets to the point.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Yea man couldn't agree more

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's a good original post!, but it is never on me as to why I'm upset if I have to deal with spamming through input lag/general lag. We have those feelings for a reason. They exist.

D

Deleted member 245254

Put it this way...maybe defeating them will bring them one step closer to realizing that it's not an optimal strategy? Every time they get beaten doing it, that's one match closer to them realizing that they need to switch it up.

Think about it...you could be the reason a player turns from a spammy newb to a more properly oriented player, then as a result, the environment becomes better for everyone else who comes across that player.

It's a good original post!, but it is never on me as to why I'm upset if I have to deal with spamming through input lag/general lag. We have those feelings for a reason. They exist.
Well I wasn't demanding that you justify anything for any of your feelings. I was only addressing players who complain of "spammy" play as if it's somehow a shortcut to winning easily. If you let it, it will be.

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Lol, feminazi on duty. You're not serious, right? Refering as "he" is not even wrong in this case since "player" is male. Feeling offended by that is just plain stupid.

@TopiC:

What Zipzo states is pretty much all you can say about it. Spammy players will ultimately stop after a few games when they realize that at a certain level of skill it won't work anymore. Period.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't know if I agree, Zipzo. I faced a Marth that exclusively did the forward B combo, which was incredibly irritating. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose that match, but it was still total BS. It'd be nice if people knew how to do more than one move with a character because it makes it both boring and frustrating at the same time.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945

Good post. beat the spammers guys, learn to adapt.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I agree, but I do feel my problem with spammers comes from a different source, being when Kirby players are spamming his down B, it's easy to punish, but in For Fun it seems like none of the other players are trying to do anything about them. It's kind of difficult to punish when while attempting to do so I have the other two opponents going after me instead, hit me, leaving me and themselves wide open, and letting Kirby hit us all at once.

We shouldn't be complaining about spammers, we should be complaining about the people who let them do it, who then complain about spammers.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Oh, please. Are you being serious right now?

If this is what it takes to get you riled up I can't even imagine what other parts of the internet do to you. Whether you are a dude or not is about as irrelevant as it gets to the point.
With a Kill La Kill icon, I wouldn't expect you to take what was said at all seriously and understand that the relevance doesn't matter.

Lol, feminazi on duty
My God. That's all I gotta say about this really. Not even worth it.

Top Bottom