• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeing a lot of complaints about "spammy" players online, if you're one of those people, listen up..

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I don't see why people have so many problems with projectile spam. It makes the opponent pretty predictable when they're doing it, most people even shoot projectiles to a slight rhythm

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
people tend to forget that their is another mode called "for fun"... if people are tired of others wanting to win at all cost, then there is that.

spamming/camping is a thing. chances are isf the person IS complete trash, they wont see the complaints here.

kindred.dread

Smash Rookie
With a Kill La Kill icon, I wouldn't expect you to take what was said at all seriously and understand that the relevance doesn't matter.
Shots fired.

Anyway, WHY make this thread? I'll have to agree with SagaTheMeow, it just looks like it's here so you can parade your condescending attitude, as if suddenly telling us that spammy players is our fault is a holy revelation of some sort. While I'm not personally complaining, nor do I see the need to, it still doesn't change the fact that we play for fun and playing against someone who spams or uses cheap tactics is unfun. Because, holy ****- that's why I'm playing the game, to have fun. For me it's a matter of that and not "getting good" because I can still beat these players but that doesn't make the experience any more enjoyable than fighting with a skilled player who genuinely tests your skills.

people tend to forget that their is another mode called "for fun"... if people are tired of others wanting to win at all cost, then there is that.
Just because it doesn't have fun in the name means we can't have fun with it. I play For Glory because items and stage hazards are annoying variables and make it unfun for me. We can enjoy ourselves however we please, thank you. It also doesn't mean spamming doesn't happen in For Fun.

Last edited:

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Just because it doesn't have fun in the name means we can't have fun with it. I play For Glory because items and stage hazards are annoying variables and make it unfun for me. We can enjoy ourselves however we please, thank you. It also doesn't mean spamming doesn't happen in For Fun.
im not saying for glory ISNT fun (i play for glory more actually). im just saying their are options to explore

also yes spam happen in for fun and 4 player for glory but it only really an issue in 1 vs 1. if one player is a spammer and the others are competent then no problem!

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
You aren't as good as you think you are.

As boring as you personally find the play-style to play, your opponent is not striving to excite you. He's striving to beat you. If he sees that beating you is as easy as rolling from edge to edge while repeatedly hitting a projectile, then there is only one person at fault here for losing : you. It could even be that what they're doing is working on you, it's causing you frustration, thus he's winning the mental game. Surely, you understand that the players committing to these strategies would stand no chance versus a competent player. What they're doing is predictable and easy to read. Then there's you, who loses it. That is on you.

Keep training and get better, because before the next time you decide to whine about a "spammy" character or talk about how it's no fun to play against, take a moment to realize that you are losing to it. So what does that make your play style? Maybe you need to show your opponent that such a strategy will not work on you? Maybe your opponent is doing it because it's the easiest, most low-effort method possible that is proving to be effective.

Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion. However, if you consistently beat these types of players, it's unlikely you have any issue in the first place. It's a free win to your %. If you're losing though, you need to take a good look at your game, and improve it.
Preach it! Good post. And some characters are MEANT to "spam" on certain stages. Pac Man almost always wants a hydrant out, for example.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'm torn whenever I see this topic come up.

On the one hand it feels like the spammers are defending their hilariously bad tactics by using the john "I lost because I was playing to win!" If you don't immediately see the contradiction in that then you probably need to rethink your life.

On the other hand I actually find it funny to see a solid roll-spammer who does nothing except stall until SD time. Especially since I know he's never going to survive for the full 5 minutes. I know exactly how long his roll will last, I also know how far it will go, and that's not even bragging. It's nothing special to know such a detail, even if this is the first time playing against the character, because how can I not have it memorized by this point? I've seen him do his roll like 30 times in a row, and it's the only thing he ever does! There's no excuse for me to NOT have it memorized by that point. Combine that with the fact that I know my own grab reach and attack timing, and well... hilarity ensues.

A lot of people are saying that projectile spamming and roll spamming are optimal tactics, and I find that claim to be highly suspect. I haven't lost to this kind of thing in like a decade, and most of the people complaining about it have actually said that they win against it easily, so if you seriously want to claim that projectile spam or roll spam is a strong tactic then the burden of proof is on you.

Please, if you can post a vid of players using projectile spam (in Smash 4, we've already seen vids of it in Melee and Brawl) in a way that's actually effective, by all means do so. We'll all benefit from the learning experience.

Now, all that said, if you are seriously winning via spam, then by all means continue doing so. Perhaps you can develop some high-level projectile camping and be a really strong player. However, if you want to convince me that spamming actually wins... well... I'm going to need proof of that.

Last edited:

Randomain

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I'll be playing with someone better than me, and notice that when I start projectile spamming they become overly aggressive and are therefore easier to handle. So, I'll continue projectile spamming in order to throw them off mentally. Like it or not, smash isn't all technical skill. There's also a mental battle raging. If you can trip someone up mentally who may be better than you skill-wise, then you will have a greater chance at victory.
I do agree though, it can be extremely frustrating fighting against people who dodge and spam projectiles, but it's part of the game. Maybe they don't like it when you juggle them in the air and then murder them when they stop projectile spamming.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Theyre what i call "pissoff tactics" as theyre designed to infuriate your opponent more than actually work. A heated player is more likely to walk into your once in a blue moon but terribly obvious smash attack and die.
The excessive rolling is nowhere near as effective as the projectile spam, since it doesnt rack up damage while your opponent tries to snag you.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
...and there's your problem...

Seriously though, people play games for various reasons, in and a "for Glory" mode you've got to expect they'll play it in a competitive manner. If you don't want to be playing people who are playing the game, then there's really not much else for it.
>Implying that I don't take For Glory matches seriously

Do people really still believe that competitive players don't have fun competing?

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
This makes me feel better about spamming Kirby's Down B during four player matches. :4wario2:

Last edited:

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
I gripe about playing people who spam constantly but I also admit I'm a bad player. :p

Ragna22

Smash Ace
There really isn't a reason TO spam in Smash anyway, especially this game since it's more defensive than past games and more characters have counters and even then you can't spam counters because if you're fighting a good player they'll read you immediately and start baiting you to counter to get a free hit or grab.

If you're gonna complain about spam work on your defense, that's the most simple advice I can give.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
>Implying that I don't take For Glory matches seriously

Do people really still believe that competitive players don't have fun competing?
I only play For Glory for fun; I'd play For Fun for fun too.

What now, punks? Wha'cha gonna do now? I play fer fun, word... Period... Candy canes.... Er... Rock salt.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I'm just wondering what possible satisfaction someone can get by picking samus, rolling to one end of the screen, charging a charge shot, rolling away to the other end of the screen when i approach, and repeating for six minutes
this happens with every character that has a projectile, and the ones that don't are roll > dash attack > roll

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
Well, I'm just gonna put this out there, in a terribly laggy battle, this strategy is INCREDIBLY cheap. I'm not saying this to complain, but from personal experience, it's hard to counter projectiles online (notably Duck Hunt). Offline, projectile spam is easy to deal with, but online it is not as simple. Most people just can't deal with it, even those who use it. I have a flawless 35/35 win ratio with Link, sadly I've won about half of those with projectile spam alone, mostly against Duck Hunts. I have a solid 80-something/100 with other characters though, most of the losses being against projectile spammers (and this one amazing Marth player...). It's not just a matter of learning to play better, these people who play projectile spam are not easy to deal with ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE ALREADY GOOD PLAYERS, it does get annoying and I've learned to live with them, but I honestly hate the strategy and tend to avoid using it myself (except against Duck Hunts, f*** those little ********)

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I'm definitely a pretty "average" player, but I hate spammers, especially PK Fire spammers, due to the fact that depending on the character it will lock you into the fire, and then they just do it again and again... and again...

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I don't hate spammers because it's easy to avoid that, But....

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
This is one of the reasons I don't play for glory as much as I suspected. It is annoying to fight and I adopt bad habits while fighting them.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I just fought against one of those players, a Toon Link. And I lost. It was incredibly upsetting and frustrating. I think I was too ready and eager to teach him that those tactics won't get him very far, and succumbed to them as a result.

I did punish him every single time he did his Dair right when I was under him, so hopefully that taught him something.

Maki

Smash Rookie
I don't blame them, nor lose to them (most of the time). I just start questioning my choice of playing this game as I don't play Smash to chase someone for 5 minutes.

When I want a battle of patience, I play USF4, where it's actually hard to stall and one good read can mean the end of the staller (while in SSB4 you just get a few %).

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
This discussion's answer, in six simple words...
Shape up.
Shut up.
Grow up.

/topic, forever

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Now if you consistently defeat these types of players and simply are annoyed at their existence because you feel they are irritating and simply provide no outlet for you to improve, that's another discussion.
This. They won't improve because they're spamming, I'm annoyed because this battle could actually be fast and fun, and I'm not getting much experience from it either. Spammers are real, saying they exist doesn't instantly mean you're a whiny loser who can't come up with counterstrategies.

I DID lose to some people before, almost always top-tier character users, however....all of these people did have decent or better skill, and weren't one-trick ponies. They likely would've still proved a fair challenge even if they used low/mid tiered characters.

Every time they get beaten doing it, that's one match closer to them realizing that they need to switch it up.
Switch up to someone they CAN beat with spamming, most likely. If someone resorts to spamming, they just want quick easy wins, nothing more.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I think that a good number of people who are comaining aren't losing to these people. Spammy players aren't tough to beat online.

The issue is that they don't make the games fun. There is no joy in sheilding and punishing these guys until the match is over.

The problem isn't losing - the problem is the online meta developing into something that isn't enjoyable. I think that's something reasonable to complain about.

I mean - I agree with the crux of your argument. If you're losing to these people and that's the main reason you're complaining then it's on you. But I think there's a good number of people who can handle spammy opponents but roll their eyes every time they get online because going against spammers gets old really quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

That's really not the point. It's just unfun to play against. It's not a matter whether of I win or lose against them, it's just annoying either way. If they're so obsessed with winning that they'll resort to running away and spamming the same attacks over and over again because they can't fight me, they can go ahead. It might work, it might not. I don't really care.. Either way I'm leaving as soon as the fight ends, because they're not the kind of person I want to play with.
This guy said it perfectly! ^^
My biggest problem with the spammers isn't whether I lose or not, but the fact that I can't better my skills against someone doing the same thing over and over again. Because if someone is using the same tactic over and over, chances are, you'll have to use the same tactic over and over to counter them, and that just isn't fun. It's a chore. You don't feel accomplished when you beat someone who plays like that. If anything you feel relief that you can get the hell out of that lobby and go play someone who actually takes the game seriously. I do think that the OP had a good point (regardless of how condescending it was written), and it does make me want to be a better player, but like a lot of others have said, the anger isn't induced because of losing, but rather because there's nothing enjoyable about it.

And to everyone who keeps saying that "for fun" mode is so much better, it really isn't. There are still spammers and obnoxious tactics and play styles found in that game mode. There are players who spend the entire game hiding, there are players who rely on items way too much, there are spammers.

Last edited by a moderator:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Smash Bros has always been a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" type of deal especially competitively. The amount of spammers is only going to increase. You're going to see lil mac's pop up all over the place.

It's just something to deal with. You can get around spammy players if you know what you're doing.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
Give it a bit more time. I'm pretty sure the spammy little kids that are playing for shiz and giggles will eventually get bored.

This guy said it perfectly! ^^
My biggest problem with the spammers isn't whether I lose or not, but the fact that I can't better my skills against someone doing the same thing over and over again. Because if someone is using the same tactic over and over, chances are, you'll have to use the same tactic over and over to counter them, and that just isn't fun. It's a chore. You don't feel accomplished when you beat someone who plays like that. If anything you feel relief that you can get the hell out of that lobby and go play someone who actually takes the game seriously. I do think that the OP had a good point (regardless of how condescending it was written), and it does make me want to be a better player, but like a lot of others have said, the anger isn't induced because of losing, but rather because there's nothing enjoyable about it.

And to everyone who keeps saying that "for fun" mode is so much better, it really isn't. There are still spammers and obnoxious tactics and play styles found in that game mode. There are players who spend the entire game hiding, there are players who rely on items way too much, there are spammers.
Word. When I play for glory, I expect to play players of any skill levels and characters and hopefully each players get something good out of it.

Last edited:

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
I know that it can be unfair/not fun to play against constant spammers. Like I said earlier, probably the best way to beat em' at their own game is to either make it fun for yourself and perfect shield/dodge every single projectile/move until time runs out or find the weak point in their spam.

Fighting against spammers, in my opinion, is a lesson in itself. Adaptation via rolling/shielding and closing the gap to find a way to punish already puts you on a road to improvement against spammers and eventually you'll have no problem dealing with them.

Besides, once time runs out, you've perfected dodging so much that the bob-ombs won't be able to touch you! :p

RetroBro

Smash Ace
If Sakurai's team would've had random Battlefield stages, there wouldn't be as much ********.

Shame they were so short sighted..

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
My problem with spammy characters isn't that they are hard to defeat. It is they are boring to fight. Their spam slows down the match and there isn't much I can do about it until I get them off stage. I think generally there would be less complaints if FD was not the only stage in For Glory mode, which encourages spammy projectile strategies.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
What do you mean?
A stage with 3 platforms like Battlefield can help you with projectile spammers.

For glory mode shouldn't just feature all Final D Versions of stages, it caters to certain characters that excel on flat stages.

Last edited:

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Ah, I see what you mean. That would've been interesting. Battlefield versions of each stage would've been pretty sweet.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Ah, I see what you mean. That would've been interesting. Battlefield versions of each stage would've been pretty sweet.
That isn't to say that people can take advantage of stage terrain in Battlefield, but it would make things a bit more fair by having two basic stage types.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Not to mention it'd give a bit more of a competitive variety in for Glory. I'd imagine myself getting a bit bored of FD constantly.

Top Bottom