• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for Fox vs Major Disadvantage

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
I agree with the marth thing. That's why I've been practicing him lately. My secondaries are wolf and marth. But the experience reasoning works both ways. MK is still the best char in the game. If you live in a region with a good marth and a lot of people practice against him, then you picking up marth could possibly be worse of a choice than Mk over the fact that either way your opponent will have experience and MK will probably be easier to get a grasp on and have more potential.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
D3 - Beats Snake, Wario

This is how i play the game of fox cannot finish the job. and someone earlier said that picking up characters far off from your mains playstyle isnt good... that's false. it just takes time and dedication. I main fox but look at my secondaries, im confident they are good and have used them in tourny already. just be a smart player and your intelligence makes up for not maining "said" character(s)
Snake has a slight advantage over DDD and the DDD v Wario matchup is basically even right now, if not in favor of Wario.

You're better than most people though so you can play more styles and still win. Most people don't understand how to completely play a single style and they shouldn't just pick up more characters with more styles because they're only going to get confused on how they should be playing... now that I think about it, ROB can play pretty similar to Fox... or at least I play my ROB kind of like my Fox and both are tourney viable... this is Bowyer, btw.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Snake has a slight advantage over DDD and the DDD v Wario matchup is basically even right now, if not in favor of Wario.

You're better than most people though so you can play more styles and still win. Most people don't understand how to completely play a single style and they shouldn't just pick up more characters with more styles because they're only going to get confused on how they should be playing... now that I think about it, ROB can play pretty similar to Fox... or at least I play my ROB kind of like my Fox and both are tourney viable... this is Bowyer, btw.
Wassup Bowyer and yea i get your whole post, and your right but D3 is better than Fox and again if Fox cant do it i got the D3 if anything, its just my way to go about match ups and i havent failed yet :) so ima keep doing me

M@v

Subarashii!
The problem with seconding marth is that he takes a lot more work than most to be really good with. Then again, peach probably takes even more, but I use her. I started in January and only started trusting her in tourney in May, so go figure.

TKD

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers probably wouldn't be beating top MK mains if the match-up was truly 7-3 MK.
A top MK main lost to a Ness player once. It's 8/2 MK. How can you explain that besides him not knowing the match-up? MK can grab release chain Ness to the ledge then Dsmash, or off the ledge and allow a grab release again, after that edge-guard (plus Ness's recovery isn't brilliant)...MK also has other things going for him in the match-up...

It's thought that IC can pivot grab the Mach Tornado when they're synched, but really this only happens if they don't perform it correctly. Also, if they blizzard while synched MK can dash in and punish (even with upB into glide attack which at least the cpu climber doesn't dodge) because of blizzard's cool-down time. The most important factors are that MK is amazingly adept at gimping the CPU climber, while solo climber can't fight MK at all...IC's abilities only make the match-up NOT 0/10.

The mk/ic match-up is played basically like this:
- Don't get grabbed
- Kill nana
- Struggle as hard as possible
- Buffer struggling

MK can break out at beginning percents before the IC player even realizes he just landed a grab because of buffering...

Eventually players from the US will notice the match-up's far from even...

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
A top MK main lost to a Ness player once. It's 8/2 MK. How can you explain that besides him not knowing the match-up? MK can grab release chain Ness to the ledge then Dsmash, or off the ledge and allow a grab release again, after that edge-guard (plus Ness's recovery isn't brilliant)...MK also has other things going for him in the match-up...
Why not other than not knowing the match-up? FOW most likely has a lot more good MK experience than Tyrant has good Ness experience.

It's thought that IC can pivot grab the Mach Tornado when they're synched, but really this only happens if they don't perform it correctly. Also, if they blizzard while synched MK can dash in and punish (even with upB into glide attack which at least the cpu climber doesn't dodge) because of blizzard's cool-down time. The most important factors are that MK is amazingly adept at gimping the CPU climber, while solo climber can't fight MK at all...IC's abilities only make the match-up NOT 0/10.
Just because ICs can't pivot grab Mach Tornado doesn't mean it's a bad match-up.

From what I know of the match-up (which honestly isn't much since I only second ICs), ICs can make MKs general grounded approaches pretty unsafe because he doesn't have projectiles to get past ICs desynch traps such as desynched retreating or approaching blizzards. A combination of this and IC's U-air having great damage/priority (being able to pressure MK from below non-moving platforms and get past his D-air camping for the most part). It's hard for MK to avoid getting grabbed without getting punished in some way. From watching high level videos and just looking at the match-up, it seems that ICs can take quite a large amount of damage on MK without even getting a grab. Two individual blizzards + U-air=50 ish%. Yes, MK can punish Nana and Popo when seperated (although if he gets grabbed below 40% by just Popo with them seperated, Popo can CG solo MK and Nana can catch up), but ICs is able to easily hold their own.

The mk/ic match-up is played basically like this:
- Don't get grabbed
- Kill nana
- Struggle as hard as possible
- Buffer struggling

MK can break out at beginning percents before the IC player even realizes he just landed a grab because of buffering...

Eventually players from the US will notice the match-up's far from even...
It's unfair to say that the top MK player will be able to buffer struggles and get out of grabs, and the top IC player won't even notice that they got a grab and will just stand there as MK gets out.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
The problem with seconding marth is that he takes a lot more work than most to be really good with. Then again, peach probably takes even more, but I use her. I started in January and only started trusting her in tourney in May, so go figure.
What do you mean its hard to be good with marth hes pretty simple and doesn't really have any advanced techs. :marth:

Top Bottom