• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have this problem where the camera is set to a certain player? It's working out fine for me when I first created the file, but after maybe a week or so, it started doing this to me for some reason...

Also forgot to mention that after playing for some time, the game will eventually freeze.
Troubleshooting:
1) On what are you playing SD Remix? Wii, GameCube, Wii U, or Dolphin?
2) Have you made sure all cheat codes are turned off?
3) If on a console: have you tried another USB or SD card?
4) Have you tried another game or another back-up copy of Melee to make sure this problem is not exclusive to SD Remix?
5) Have you tried remaking the ISO or redoing the installation process?

MysticRayquazard23

Smash Rookie
NNID
2Mystical4U
Switch FC
SW 7239 4605 8400
Troubleshooting:
1) On what are you playing SD Remix? Wii, GameCube, Wii U, or Dolphin?
2) Have you made sure all cheat codes are turned off?
3) If on a console: have you tried another USB or SD card?
4) Have you tried another game or another back-up copy of Melee to make sure this problem is not exclusive to SD Remix?
5) Have you tried remaking the ISO or redoing the installation process?
I'm playing on Dolphin.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is there a code for disabling Tap Jump that can be included in SDR? It sounds simple in theory, but then again, I'm no programmer.

MysticRayquazard23

Smash Rookie
NNID
2Mystical4U
Switch FC
SW 7239 4605 8400
Ah, okay. Have you tried doing number 4 or 5 in that post yet? Emulation is a fickle thing, so the more information, the better for us helping you.
Sorry for my late replies. I saw that 2 cheats were on and turned them off. The camera is no longer focusing on 1 character, then suddenly freezing. Thanks for the help SDR_Troubleshooter! :D

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
congrats on development thus far. I see this going long way and surprising the **** out of ppl. I have question.

when I play melee, it is from a backup copy on Isos something type of usb loader (mios dios) am I till good or do I need hard copy of melee to work this badboy?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
congrats on development thus far. I see this going long way and surprising the **** out of ppl. I have question.

when I play melee, it is from a backup copy on Isos something type of usb loader (mios dios) am I till good or do I need hard copy of melee to work this badboy?
You don't need a hard copy, brother.
But try to use a 1.0 ISO, I hear SD Remix is designed for it. I'm using 1.02 regardless, since I already did it without knowing, and it's fine.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
No matter what version you use SD Remix's files change it to 1.00.

Really convenient and easy to implement. You don't need a hard copy, just be familiar with GCREex and running stuff off of USB or SD + file replacements and you should be fine. Any Melee version will work.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
not true at all. if you use a 1.2 ISO and then patch it to SDR, Peach will crash

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
If he's running it through USB/DIOS MIOS I'm pretty sure you can just outright do the file replacements. In the guide it states that you can use any NTSC version of Melee in the OP under SD/USB Dios Mios installation, unless I missed something about his method? I'm pretty sure even on USB Dios Mios uses the "Root and Sys" folder method, right?

If he's directly patching the ISO itself then I botched, but otherwise I believe file replacements via Root and System folder method (at least on my SD) lets the game work regardless of what ISO you use to dump the game files.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
not true at all. if you use a 1.2 ISO and then patch it to SDR, Peach will crash
Incorrect, sorta. It crashes if you try to modify PlPe.dat (Peach's data file) with one that is a mismatch to the original file size on the ISO's Table of Contents. Tidbit: 1.0 Peach and 1.2 Peach files are written so differently that even though no one knows exactly what changed, the file sizes are different and so is the general layout of some the lesser documented offsets.

Simply put:
If you use a 1.0 ISO and you place a 1.2 Peach file into it, it will crash.
If you use a 1.2 ISO and you place a 1.0 Peach file into it, it will crash.

SD Remix is usable on ALL NTSC-J/U back-ups because it does not modify Peach at all. If it did (which it used to), the above problems will occur.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, the only difference mechanically is that the turnip freeze is no longer possible.

Edit: I wonder what could be gained by comparing any NTSC IC's vs. PAL IC's, that's another significant glitch fix. Or Mewtwo with the shadow glitch

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
oops.... silly me.... but do I really have to reinstall my dios mios set up? can still play my other gamecube games? do I really need to play with no disc inside to make it work?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
oops.... silly me.... but do I really have to reinstall my dios mios set up? can still play my other gamecube games? do I really need to play with no disc inside to make it work?
If you've already installed Dios Mios, you can skip the entire Wii modding step in the instructions.

You should still be able to play your other Gamecube games without issue, but sometimes that's not the case. For example, I can play my Melee disc just fine with Dios Mios, but not my Zelda Wind Waker disc. Dios Mios is a little finicky at times, but all I do is just uninstall it when I need to play incompatible discs. I'm sure someone else might have a better solution.

You don't need to use No Disc at all, but it is recommended. In my experience, there's no difference whichever way you load Melee/SDR/20XX.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
woah, got it to work... figured it the missing steps. you need to basically do the dml thing then copy the SDR files over and my usb loader mios dios can run SDR- easy! yay! PM and SDR on one wii super happy.

loving the game and the "character buff the weak ones" approach. would love to see all star versus mode in special melee options yet otherwise thats all she really needs- this is excellent work far in development and I'll push our TOs here in BC to make this game a side event (much like we did with a "captain falcon only" melee side event. made it all happen on one set up :) ) to really test the MUs and the game overall good stuff gents

Keman

Smash Apprentice
How did I not know about this? it seems like a fun idea to play around in. (aka play your friends with them thinking it is still the standard version of Melee)

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Can I just say something really quick? Absolutely LOVE the use of just like, random character animations to give them new moves. Things like using Samus' Up throw animation for her Up Smash is just genius. The best one has to be Bowsers new down air, love the use of his "throwing item downwards while in the air" animation. Any chance we can get to see more of that? I went through most characters already and found quiet a few animations that would make for great moves.

As an example, Pichus forward smash animation while holding a bat/beam sword makes her spin in place. Could make for a cool like, I don't know, Down smash animation. It's just such a simple way to make these clones feel more unique. There's probably something cool to change up Doc and even Roy too.

Quillion

Smash Hero
How did I not know about this? it seems like a fun idea to play around in. (aka play your friends with them thinking it is still the standard version of Melee)
Getting the larger Melee community to at the very least see it as a supplement instead of a replacement will require aggression on our part.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
*** em up with pichu. make your friends crap their pants

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hey Ripple and other SDR developers:

If you're going to make your "just for fun" changes to high-tier characters a permanent part of SDR, may I suggest giving the only significant nerf in the game to :foxmelee:?

Just give him a knockback nerf to his up smash. Just enough so that he can still use it in combos and finishers but make it so that it's not ridiculously effective at early percents. Even PMDT thought Fox's up smash was excessive, and this is the same team that restored nearly all of Falco's unique animations to being taken from Fox even though he would look less unique in the process.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Ehhhhhh

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'd rather keep Sheik the same doe because I'm a fan of chaingrabs.
AS A FALCON MAIN.
But I mean if Fox has any sort of usmash nerf then Falco needs to be toned down to compensate and then other characters are going to need. . . and so on.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
Ehhhhhh

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'd rather keep Sheik the same doe because I'm a fan of chaingrabs.
AS A FALCON MAIN.
But I mean if Fox has any sort of usmash nerf then Falco needs to be toned down to compensate and then other characters are going to need. . . and so on.

I strongly disagree with nerfing ANY good NTSC character. leave them alone, less people will take this seriously the more we mess with characters who've proven they're top tier.

I almost disagree with captain falcon changes but I truly believe that the devs of SDR know what's best.

leave the top tier vmelee characters alone can't stress this enough. it becomes a different (less torny compatible imo) not as fun game when you start F'in around with whats already good in the first place

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ripple and other SDR developers:

If you're going to make your "just for fun" changes to high-tier characters a permanent part of SDR, may I suggest giving the only significant nerf in the game to :foxmelee:?

Just give him a knockback nerf to his up smash. Just enough so that he can still use it in combos and finishers but make it so that it's not ridiculously effective at early percents. Even PMDT thought Fox's up smash was excessive, and this is the same team that restored nearly all of Falco's unique animations to being taken from Fox even though he would look less unique in the process.
Hey Quillion,
While you raise an interesting point, Ripple and I have discussed changing top tiers (with other SDRBR members [note: There is no SDR BR anymore] in the past, and we only agreed that changing Sheik was maybe beneficial. Later, I reversed even that positioning, as it only further complicated our end goals of making a buff-only game. There were no reasonable grounds to discriminate Sheik, and there aren't for Fox (in respect to the other top tiers), either.

Yes, Fox is strong. Fox has options that are seen as somewhat "degenerate." That's why he is a S-tier character. If everyone was degenerate, then the distinction of "S-tier" is irrelevant.

SDR is not PM. The two projects are pursuing different goals. Yes, sometimes the means to the ends may intersect. Doubtless that there must be several changes in PM inspired by those in SDR, or vice versa. No point in reinventing the wheel, right? But PM is essentially its own game. Melee-inspired, yes, but it has departed from Melee too much in its design decisions to be Melee. It has its own framework to build off on, now.

On the other hand, SDR is very much tied to the essence of (NTSC) Melee. Yes, there are many liberties we have taken with the low tiers, but our foundation was always Melee itself. How strong should we make the low tiers? We approximated that with knowledge from vMelee. When we scaled back from power creep, we did so with Melee in mind. If we are to change the current framework (i.e. the top tiers), we present ourselves a new project, a new game, with different goals and objectives.

We would have something like Ripple's new project inspired by SDR. A similar project, but a different goal means a different approach, and therefore, oftentimes, a different end result.

---------------------------
As for our "just for fun" changes, I have struggled on whether or not to completely revert Captain Falcon to vanilla NTSC. However, since integration with 20XX is a very real possibility now, alongside with the very minute ramifications of the changes themselves, I decided to keep SDR Falcon as-is.

Had 20XX integration not been possible, it is very likely that Falcon would've been reverted for the 3.1 release.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey Quillion,
While you raise an interesting point, Ripple and I have discussed changing top tiers (with other SDRBR members [note: There is no SDR BR anymore] in the past, and we only agreed that changing Sheik was maybe beneficial. Later, I reversed even that positioning, as it only further complicated our end goals of making a buff-only game. There were no reasonable grounds to discriminate Sheik, and there aren't for Fox (in respect to the other top tiers), either.

Yes, Fox is strong. Fox has options that are seen as somewhat "degenerate." That's why he is a S-tier character. If everyone was degenerate, then the distinction of "S-tier" is irrelevant.

SDR is not PM. The two projects are pursuing different goals. Yes, sometimes the means to the ends may intersect. Doubtless that there must be several changes in PM inspired by those in SDR, or vice versa. No point in reinventing the wheel, right? But PM is essentially its own game. Melee-inspired, yes, but it has departed from Melee too much in its design decisions to be Melee. It has its own framework to build off on, now.

On the other hand, SDR is very much tied to the essence of (NTSC) Melee. Yes, there are many liberties we have taken with the low tiers, but our foundation was always Melee itself. How strong should we make the low tiers? We approximated that with knowledge from vMelee. When we scaled back from power creep, we did so with Melee in mind. If we are to change the current framework (i.e. the top tiers), we present ourselves a new project, a new game, with different goals and objectives.

We would have something like Ripple's new project inspired by SDR. A similar project, but a different goal means a different approach, and therefore, oftentimes, a different end result.

As for our "just for fun" changes, I have struggled on whether or not to completely revert Captain Falcon to vanilla NTSC. However, since integration with 20XX is a very real possibility now, alongside with the very minute ramifications of the changes themselves, I decided to keep SDR Falcon as-is.

Had 20XX integration not been possible, it is very likely that Falcon would've been reverted for the 3.1 release.
10/10
I approve of the buffs only principle. It's a noble principle, and an interesting experiment in the least. I think I can say it's generated fun and interesting gameplay regardless, so, experiment success!
Many developers may view it as gross with too much effort where they could just 'nerf a few things rather than buff a million' (to quote Malorn). It's not so.
Of course, I've always been a fan of fast paced lethality. I got mad when they took Stopping Power out from CoD, so, hey! Modern Warfare 2 was the best designed CoD game by far. Besides MAYBE OMA DC PRO PIPES. It seems to me that nobody wants around 2 shot kills in FPS games any more. Case in point, many FPS compound cone of fire ON TOP of recoil. The whole point of CoF in old games was to simulate recoil since they didn't have the maths proper. Bleck, it's a crummy mechanic anyways.
This is the same principle with 3rd Strike, with parrying and much cheaper super moves.
I'm still trying to distinguish what separated the old great Brood War from Starcraft 2, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it has to do--at least somewhat--with this same sort of speed and lethality (even though I know damage was pared down for armor multipliers in BW and up for vs modifiers in SC2).
Edit: Then, how do I account for the different versions of dodging present in the Unreal Tournament games for instance, and the division they cause? I'm conflicted as to which system is the clear cut winner--the high gravity or the double jumps and maneuverability of 2k4?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Hey Quillion,

Have you guys tried adding the FSM modifications to the MnSlChr file and then just having the code write the needed modifications write when the character was selected. You could potentially allot each character a fourth of the space you have in the FSM entry block. You give you a lot more options.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
neither me or SDRTS know what to modify in order to do that

zankyou

Smash Lord
neither me or SDRTS know what to modify in order to do that
I dont know that much about SD remix or the FSM engine but I thought you just pasted in entries into some space in the dol. So in theory you could just have the entries you wanted in the MnSlChr file, then have a code that basically copy and paste it from the MnSlChr file into the area you want it.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
we pasted them in part of the dol that is apparently not read ever.

and expanding the file size is not an option

zankyou

Smash Lord
we pasted them in part of the dol that is apparently not read ever.

and expanding the file size is not an option
No you misunderstand. You cant change the file size of the dol. What youre doing is exploiting the ram though because when the MnSlChr file is loaded you have access to it in ram. So you pull it out of that area and you paste it with a code into where the FSM entries would be in the ram.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Have you guys tried adding the FSM modifications to the MnSlChr file and then just having the code write the needed modifications write when the character was selected. You could potentially allot each character a fourth of the space you have in the FSM entry block. You give you a lot more options.
Something like this would be ideal, but once you start doing things outside of versus mode it might not work/would be really tricky to coordinate. Before you ever do that, you would want to just do something like this:

SDR 3.1 FSM Mod.dol

FSM Mod entries now start @ 0x405990 in the DOL.
This provides room for 704 FSM entries.
SDR 3.1 FSM mods have been moved here already in the above file.

( 0x405990 - 0x406f8c can be cleared out with zeroes with no adverse effects to the game. I figured this out while making 20XX. In 1.02 this is 0x407950 - 0x408f4c )

I modified Magus' code to accommodate this location change and also changed the default language byte of the Debug Menu from Japanese to English because that was bugging the crap out of me.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Something like this would be ideal, but once you start doing things outside of versus mode it might not work/would be really tricky to coordinate. Before you ever do that, you would want to just do something like this:

SDR 3.1 FSM Mod.dol

FSM Mod entries now start @ 0x405990 in the DOL.
This provides room for 704 FSM entries.
SDR 3.1 FSM mods have been moved here already in the above file.

( 0x405990 - 0x406f8c can be cleared out with zeroes with no adverse effects to the game. I figured this out while making 20XX. In 1.02 this is 0x407950 - 0x408f4c )

I modified Magus' code to accommodate this location change and also changed the default language byte of the Debug Menu from Japanese to English because that was bugging the crap out of me.
Do you know what that space is for originally.

Top Bottom