• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Jabronii

Smash Rookie
Once that is done, open up the SD/USB version of the latest SD Remix build. You'll see a folder called 'root' and 'sys.' Copy those folders to SD:\games\GALE01 and confirm all file replacement inquiries.

I think this part is throwing me off. I got the whole thing set up on my Wii and the DIOS MIOS loader recognizes Smash, but it's telling me the apploader size is 0kb.

The file tree looks like E:\games\GALE01\sys\apploader.img
And next to it there's E:\games\GALE01\root\[all the stuff in root]

The root and sys folders are both already in the newly-created GALE01 folder. Am I supposed to swap something else that I'm overlooking?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
In addition to to 'apploader.img' you should also have:

Code:
bi2.bin
boot.bin
fst.bin
main.dol
Are you sure you extracted the ISO with GcReEX correctly? If so, did you make sure that both the DM-booter and GALE01 itself are on the same media?

Jabronii

Smash Rookie
Yep, I got all five files right where they should be. Even included the extras in the &&SystemData just to be safe (removed them now). ISO extraction went smoothly, don't think it got messed up at all.

I should've mentioned that this is the same ISO I was talking about replacing some textures for in one of the other threads I've been badgering around here. I also used a main.dol that someone had edited to include the flash on L-cancel, and it was definitely intended for SDR. I can't find the exact post but he said something like "use this file in place of the main.dol in the guide". The ISO I built works great on Dolphin (other than my usual speed issues). This paragraph probably isn't very relevant, though.

Edit: Also, I appreciate all the responses from you guys. Whoever's using that account has given me the only feedback I've seen in the Melee Workshop boards, which seem to be a little dead.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
If the ISO works fine in Dolphin then I can only recommend basic troubleshooting of Dios-Mios.

Did you enable 'No Disc' in DM-booter, and if so, did you remove any discs in the disc tray?
You used the correct Dios-Mios for your media right (DML for SD, DM for USB)?
Furthermore, was the media formatted correctly as described in the installation guide?

Jabronii

Smash Rookie
Yeah, used DML for my 2gig sd card, fat32/64kb. I'd tried fat/32kb before but couldn't get letterbomb to show with that format. Used three different forms of DML now while trying: 2.2 as bundled, 2.0, and 2.10. No disc was enabled in each, and the tray was empty.

Edit: Moved all my stuff to USB Fat32/32kb, tried USB Loader GX and Wiiflow, neither worked. Either permanent black screen or the Wii shuts off.

It seems like I've got the ISO made well from what you said, so if I just reinstall everything from Bootmii to Homebrew to the tools in the guide in the first post, what are the optimal settings I should use on either SD or USB to make just the game work? SDR + textures + L cancel are all already in the ISO. I can try to figure out Gecko codes in the future, but I don't need anything else. Just wanna make the game run >_<

Last edited:

Jabronii

Smash Rookie
One thing that might be of interest is that Dolphin shows my hacked ISO as PAL, when I know for certain I started with a 1.02 ISO and used an SDR-with-L-cancel-flash .DOL from these forums. It still saves to my USA memory card slot, runs at 60 FPS, and says "USA" in the ISO details menu. Only thing that's changed is the flag icon.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Try messing around in GC-Rebuilder to see if you can revert the flag. I would also recommend you extract a 'fresh,' unedited ISO with GcReEX and try testing it with your USB media. From my experience, Dios-Mios with USB is less finicky than DML with SD cards in terms of media/brand compatibility.

Last edited:

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm in the WAD Manager (v1.7), trying to do the thing with the IOS236. Ran the IOS236 installer successfully, but when I follow the instructions in the WAD Manager, I get "Mounting device, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -1)". Googled the heck out of it, looked on Reddit and everything, can't seem to figure it out. I started hacking my Wii yesterday, so I'm a complete newbie at this, please explain everything in detail. Links to any resources I might need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm in the WAD Manager (v1.7), trying to do the thing with the IOS236. Ran the IOS236 installer successfully, but when I follow the instructions in the WAD Manager, I get "Mounting device, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -1)". Googled the heck out of it, looked on Reddit and everything, can't seem to figure it out. I started hacking my Wii yesterday, so I'm a complete newbie at this, please explain everything in detail. Links to any resources I might need would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
At what point of WAD Manager do you receive this message? What happens in WAD Manager after you receive this message?
Did you use the .zip file provided on the front page of this thread for all the homebrew applications you're using?
Also, just for verification purposes, you did select IOS-236 in WAD Manager before trying to mount a device, correct?

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
load WAD Manager, click a to agree to disclaimer, select ios version (select IOS236), select source device (wii sd slot) [i'm using an sd card, in the sd slot], click a,

"mounting device, please wait... ERROR! 9ret = -1)
Press any button to continue..."

I click a and the error message disappears. left on the screen is
"select source device: <wii sd slot>
press left/right to change the selected device.
press a button to continue.
press home button to restart."

I'm not sure about the .zip file, i'll check that now and post again in a few minutes.

Ok, remember how I said I'm a newbie? I have no idea what I'm looking at. In my sd card root, I have: apps, wads, GALE01, config, dm_booter, and the file IOS36-64-v3351.wad. What do I need to look inside? I really don't want to list the contents of every folder for you.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
You can ignore the error message, continue to choose your source device: "<wii sd slot>" and follow the rest of the directions on the front page for SD/USB installation. From this point on, you would need to view the part of the guide that entails what WADs to install from your SD card's wads folder.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
You can ignore the error message, continue to choose your source device: "<wii sd slot>" and follow the rest of the directions on the front page for SD/USB installation. From this point on, you would need to view the part of the guide that entails what WADs to install from your SD card's wads folder.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
"If everything checks out, you should see a menu of your SD card's root. Go to the 'wads' folder." This is not happening. How can I install wads if I can't see them?

I'm using a 4gb SDHC card, if that makes any difference. I thought if the card was the problem I wouldn't have even gotten this far, but maybe the wad manager can't read it properly?

PSYCH I got YAWMM to do it. I'll let you know if I run into any other snags. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Certain homebrew applications may not be compiled with the latest logic library. It seems WAD Manager may be one of the few applications that won't read SHDC cards.

If possible, install the WADs through a USB device or normal SD card. You may continue to use the SDHC card for actually playing SD Remix though after successful installation of Dios-Mios-Lite.

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
Certain homebrew applications may not be compiled with the latest logic library. It seems WAD Manager may be one of the few applications that won't read SHDC cards.

If possible, install the WADs through a USB device or normal SD card. You may continue to use the SDHC card for actually playing SD Remix though after successful installation of Dios-Mios-Lite.

Interesting. Well I got it installed through YAWMM, but when it gets to the screen with the GC logo and DIOS MIOS at the bottom, it says "error apploader size is zero" and stays there. wiimote won't connect and gc controller doesn't do anything.

edit: forgot to mention that after this happened the first time, I followed the instructions in the troubleshooting thing on the first page. uninstalled diosmioslite, installed the other two wads in the correct order and reinstalled diosmioslite.

Last edited:

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
Interesting. Well I got it installed through YAWMM, but when it gets to the screen with the GC logo and DIOS MIOS at the bottom, it says "error apploader size is zero" and stays there. wiimote won't connect and gc controller doesn't do anything.
I tried it again and now the error says "area! al error app_entry is not within the apploader"

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
How did you format your SDHC card in respect to file system type and allocation?

DML tends to be somewhat fickle with card compatibility, what brand is your SDHC?

Also could you post a screen shot of your SDHC:\games\GALE01\sys folder contents? Hyperlink it please.

Finally, you did activate "No Disc" in the loader, correct?

Last edited:

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
How did you format your SDHC card in respect to file system type and allocation?

DML tends to be somewhat fickle with card compatibility, what brand is your SDHC?

Also could you post a screen shot of your SDHC:\games\GALE01\sys folder contents? Hyperlink it please.

Finally, you did activate "No Disc" in the loader, correct?

SDHC card formatted to FAT32, the only other option my computer gave was exFAT. Allocation only gave the option Automatic. It's a PNY optima sd card.

here is the folder you asked for:
http://imgur.com/XJcymte

I did indeed activate "no disc".

Crap! I realized my gale01 folder wasn't inside a "games" folder, so i fixed that, and then melee sd remix showed up in diosmios. i didn't even realize there was something wrong there. selected that, but got the "fatal error apploader size is zero!" message on the GC logo screen.

Last edited:

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
It seems you've got everything correct up to this point, so I can only suggest that you may need to try to format your card to FAT32 with 64kb (recommended SDHC settings). Try this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ over the Windows utility.

If that fails, it may be that your PNY card is incompatible with DML. :(
I formatted the card with the formatter you linked to, tried again, that didn't work. same result. tried another card, a 2gb SD made by GE. same result. I'm quite frustrated

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I formatted the card with the formatter you linked to, tried again, that didn't work. same result. tried another card, a 2gb SD made by GE. same result. I'm quite frustrated
I suggest the following:

- Try to load a retail gamecube disc via the DM-booter (turn 'No Disc' off first). This is to verify if the program even loads at all.
- Re-extract your Melee ISO with GcReEx again. This time, do not add SD Remix files. Boot it vanilla. Make sure to empty the disc tray and try it with both your SD cards if possible.
- Lastly, try Dios-Mios Lite 2.10 (with real NAND) from here: http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/Downloads?tm=2 Use the same steps to uninstall/reinstall Dios-Mios from the guide.

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
I suggest the following:

- Try to load a retail gamecube disc via the DM-booter (turn 'No Disc' off first). This is to verify if the program even loads at all.
- Re-extract your Melee ISO with GcReEx again. This time, do not add SD Remix files. Boot it vanilla. Make sure to empty the disc tray and try it with both your SD cards if possible.
- Lastly, try Dios-Mios Lite 2.10 (with real NAND) from here: http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/wiki/Downloads?tm=2 Use the same steps to uninstall/reinstall Dios-Mios from the guide.
1. disc loaded fine though diosmios.
2. vanilla melee from BOTH sd cards produced the same result as before.
3. I will try the diosmioslite2.10 soon, going to bed now.

some interesting info: i tried loading another game on the sd card. F-Zero GX. same "fatal error apploader size is zero" message. seems to me like a problem with either the sd cards or diosmios. i'll update once i try dios 2.10. thanks :)

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Okay, keep me updated.

Also note that DML 2.10 automates 'No disc' so there's no option to toggle it. The program will autodetect whether or not to apply that patch.

...The installation package for SD Remix probably needs some updating, ha.

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
Okay, keep me updated.

Also note that DML 2.10 automates 'No disc' so there's no option to toggle it. The program will autodetect whether or not to apply that patch.

...The installation package for SD Remix probably needs some updating, ha.
Am I missing something on the dios 2.10 download page? I can't seem to find any download link... I've tried a few other things suggested by a friend, basically just using different sources for things i've done before and re-doing a couple of things. no actual changes. haven't seen any different results.
I looked for a download mirror for dios 2.10 but haven't found it anywhere

DRGN

Technowizard
some interesting info: i tried loading another game on the sd card. F-Zero GX. same "fatal error apploader size is zero" message. seems to me like a problem with either the sd cards or diosmios. i'll update once i try dios 2.10. thanks :)
That apploader error is shown over the GameCube/DIOS MIOS splash page, right? I'm pretty sure you need to have a disc in the Wii (any game) for DML to start-up an iso properly in that case. No idea why, but it works. I don't think this is needed with the regular DIOS MIOS when you're loading off of USB. Alternatively, you can convert the ISO using DiscEx (link), and then you shouldn't need a disc in the system. You can also optionally compress the iso (for example with GCMUtility), which can create a lot of extra space, and speed up copying games over to the SD card.

Last edited:

IndifferentTarantula

Smash Rookie
That apploader error is shown over the GameCube/DIOS MIOS splash page, right? I'm pretty sure you need to have a disc in the Wii (any game) for DML to start-up an iso properly in that case. No idea why, but it works.
Tried that. It loads from the disc. Disc patch option on or off, I select the iso on the sd card and it loads from the disc. Haven't got a chance to try 2.10 yet.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Tried that. It loads from the disc. Disc patch option on or off, I select the iso on the sd card and it loads from the disc. Haven't got a chance to try 2.10 yet.
If it always loads from this disc despite toggling Disc Patch on or off despite choosing a game from external (SD/USB) media, the problem is with near certainty due to incorrect formatting of the SD or incompatibility of the SD with DML

DRGN

Technowizard
Personally I use a 32 Gb Patriot. It's a good brand, faster than class 10, and is a really good deal @ less than 70 cents per gig. [And here are other cards that are apparently compatible.]

Aside from reformatting, you might want to also try restoring your original NAND (if you backed it up), and then reinstalling your IOSs. For just the minimum stuff listed below, I think the only ones you really need are IOS 236 (patched from 36 using the installer), and 249, and 250. The latter two can be found here if you don't have them. I'm not really sure why some guides want you to install more. (Annoying sometimes that more guides don't explain such details.)

Updating all of my software to the latest versions is probably what solved almost all of my issues with various things. As far as I know, the latest versions of it all are:

HomeBrew Channel: 1.1.2
Dios Mios Lite: 2.10
WiiFlow: 4.2.1

What interface are you guys using to boot the games btw? Another good one besides WiiFlow is Dios-Mios Booter. It's text based, so it loads up super fast.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
dios-mios booter and configurable usb loader were the only ones that actually let me boot a game from usb (I'm using DM, not DML). Don't know why, but I just got a black screen with wiiflow and usbloader-gx.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Personally I use a 32 Gb Patriot. It's a good brand, faster than class 10, and is a really good deal @ less than 70 cents per gig. [And here are other cards that are apparently compatible.]

What interface are you guys using to boot the games btw? Another good one besides WiiFlow is Dios-Mios Booter. It's text based, so it loads up super fast.
Good catch on the 32GB Patriot card. I will likely purchase one for myself in the near future.

The SD Remix installation bundle comes with Dios-Mios Booter. It being lightweight is a definite plus.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So is there a new version?

I can't ever play Vmelee again after playing this!Roy's up smash explosion.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Installing this, also I'm stuck on the iso.hdr part of the Dolphin guide, the current download doesn't seem to have that file, do I not need it, or is there something wrong?

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I actually manages to get Melee working through a FAT16 USB with 32kb clusters. So if anyone can't get FAT32 working, try the 16 format

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Pretty great mod you have here got the people I play with going bat**** over it. Y link arrow spam is hilarious.

Anyways can't wait for the final version keep up the good work.

Ps sausage is a little rediculous

Top Bottom