• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

P 1

Smash Cadet
Mr. Trouble Shooter, my troubles need shooting.

I have the files running. awesome work. I just can't successfully get Gecko Codes to load. It freezes on a black screen after the DIOS MIOS screen.

I feel like my troubles stem from the game not being an ISO? it's d:\games\GALE01\root and d:\games\GALE01\sys.

I tried d:\codes\GALE01.gct, and it didn't work. I tried putting GALE01.gct in d:\games\GALE01, which also didn't work.

here's the kicker: i then tried loading no codes, and the game booted successfully. pls halp me. :^(

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
here's the kicker: i then tried loading no codes, and the game booted successfully. pls halp me. :^(
P 1, You are correct that Gecko codes should be placed into D:\games\GALE01. As far as I know, the game's file system format (ISO or extracted) has no bearing on code compatibility.

What codes are you trying to run, and what version of the codes are you using (1.00, 1.01, 1.02, PAL)?

SD Remix rewrites any NTSC-J/U version of Melee into 1.00 regardless of the source version (i.e a 1.02 ISO would become a 1.00 game upon being 'patched' as SD Remix).

Last edited:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Mr. Trouble Shooter, my troubles need shooting.

I have the files running. awesome work. I just can't successfully get Gecko Codes to load. It freezes on a black screen after the DIOS MIOS screen.

I feel like my troubles stem from the game not being an ISO? it's d:\games\GALE01\root and d:\games\GALE01\sys.

I tried d:\codes\GALE01.gct, and it didn't work. I tried putting GALE01.gct in d:\games\GALE01, which also didn't work.

Which codes are you using?

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Got melee sdr working, quite terrific :D I had the "fatal error apploader size is zero" error and it turned out that it occurred on my transcend SD cards. I tried on my sandisk and kingston SD cards and I was fine.

P 1

Smash Cadet
P 1, You are correct that Gecko codes should be placed into D:\games\GALE01. As far as I know, the game's file system format (ISO or extracted) has no bearing on code compatibility.

What codes are you trying to run, and what version of the codes are you using (1.00, 1.01, 1.02, PAL)?

SD Remix rewrites any NTSC-J/U version of Melee into 1.00 regardless of the source version (i.e a 1.02 ISO would become a 1.00 game upon being 'patched' as SD Remix).
Which codes are you using?
coolio. thanks for the responses guys; my troubles have been shot.

one more quick question. so if i want to edit textures and audio in my extracted game, i can just replace the files? or no?

P 1

Smash Cadet
i think this is my last question, but let's say that i want to try out a previous build of a character. I could do this just by replacing their character file in my folder, or would i need to do the extraction process again?

thanks !

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
i think this is my last question, but let's say that i want to try out a previous build of a character. I could do this just by replacing their character file in my folder, or would i need to do the extraction process again?

thanks !
Yes; all you need to do is replace the character file in your folder. This only applies to SD Remix-related files.

Other files you download need to be padded in a hex editor with zeroes at the end of the file to match the file size of the file they are replacing (the extraction method used increases the file size of all files in the extracted ISO). Failure to do this will result in a game freeze when that file is initiated in-game.

EMP_Zurg

Smash Cadet
sdremix_troubleshooter is the IT guy we deserve, as well as the one we need right now

P 1

Smash Cadet
Yes; all you need to do is replace the character file in your folder. This only applies to SD Remix-related files.

Other files you download need to be padded in a hex editor with zeroes at the end of the file to match the file size of the file they are replacing (the extraction method used increases the file size of all files in the extracted ISO). Failure to do this will result in a game freeze when that file is initiated in-game.
You use the DLM folder and cmd.exe, ya?

What's the fastest way to pad bulk files without them being in ISO format? should I just do it one by one, and will it even work that way?

more questions: are there any versions of older builds available for upload? maybe with a changelog included?

thank for the answers !

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
You use the DLM folder and cmd.exe, ya?

What's the fastest way to pad bulk files without them being in ISO format? should I just do it one by one, and will it even work that way?

more questions: are there any versions of older builds available for upload? maybe with a changelog included?

thank for the answers !
If you're talking about padding files, no. There are no tools included in the DML folder. You will need to download a hex editor such as HxD.

I do not believe any freeware hex editor has capabilities to bulk pad files. You could write a program that emulates the padding algorithm of gcreex.exe :p

But yes, just do it one by one - open the file in the GALE01 folder you want to edit, go to the end of the file, and make sure your custom texture/any file has the identical amount of padding. Then replace the GALE01 file with the one you just modified. Repeat for any additional files you want in your SD Remix game.

There are currently no plans to make older versions of SD Remix publicly available at this time. Since many modifications are done both inside the individual character .dat files and the 'master' file main.dol, cross-compatibility is not guaranteed.

Another reason is the older versions of SD Remix are quite unbalanced.

The build under development right now plans to reintroduce some of the more 'exciting' aspects of older builds. Just wait a little longer! :)

P 1

Smash Cadet
If you're talking about padding files, no. There are no tools included in the DML folder. You will need to download a hex editor such as HxD.

I do not believe any freeware hex editor has capabilities to bulk pad files. You could write a program that emulates the padding algorithm of gcreex.exe :p

But yes, just do it one by one - open the file in the GALE01 folder you want to edit, go to the end of the file, and make sure your custom texture/any file has the identical amount of padding. Then replace the GALE01 file with the one you just modified. Repeat for any additional files you want in your SD Remix game.

There are currently no plans to make older versions of SD Remix publicly available at this time. Since many modifications are done both inside the individual character .dat files and the 'master' file main.dol, cross-compatibility is not guaranteed.

Another reason is the older versions of SD Remix are quite unbalanced.

The build under development right now plans to reintroduce some of the more 'exciting' aspects of older builds. Just wait a little longer! :)
well i'm finnnnallly done with questions.

for future builds, more safe on shield strings is fun !! :^D

i'm excited. thanks for the hard work and thorough assistance!

D

Deleted member

You know, an "About" section would work well... I don't even know what the point of this version is...

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
You know, an "About" section would work well... I don't even know what the point of this version is...
Good point. I will append the first post soon.

To be brief: SD Remix is a "buffs-only" balance patch that hopes to power the weaker characters to roughly Captain Falcon levels of competitiveness. SD Remix attempts to do this while preserving the design 'personality' in Melee as much as possible. Top tiers have been unchanged; the exception to the rule is Sheik and her down-throw.

However, in the next version, all top tiers will be truly untouched - including Sheik.

Any release window we can expect?
Expect the next version around late July to early August. There are a few more characters that require additional feedback.

EazyDI

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys sure this works with a 2gb+ sd card? When I tried this a couple months ago w/ my 16 gig it didn't work but when I tried it w/ my 2gb with the same files it worked.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys sure this works with a 2gb+ sd card? When I tried this a couple months ago w/ my 16 gig it didn't work but when I tried it w/ my 2gb with the same files it worked.
Yes, it will work on cards with more space than 2GB.

Not all SD cards are equal. Some cards have difficulty working with certain Wii homebrew applications, some do not. The size of the card is not the tell-all for whether or not the card will work.

It's unlikely, but if your Wii was not on 4.3 then it does not support SDHC cards (essentially any SD card higher than 2GB). That would be the reason why it did not work then.

Last edited:

EazyDI

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it will work on cards with more space than 2GB.

Not all SD cards are equal. Some cards have difficulty working with certain Wii homebrew applications, some do not. The size of the card is not the tell-all for whether or not the card will work.

It's unlikely, but if your Wii was not on 4.3 then it does not support SDHC cards (essentially any SD card higher than 2GB). That would be the reason why it did not work then.
Yeah, I don't think it's on 4.3. I haven't updated because I didn't really need to and I didn't want to brick my Wii (updating while having the HBC can do that, right? That's what everyone said back in like 2009). Thanks!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think it's on 4.3. I haven't updated because I didn't really need to and I didn't want to brick my Wii (updating while having the HBC can do that, right? That's what everyone said back in like 2009). Thanks!
Updating while having the Homebrew Channel will not brick your Wii. However, I believe updating 4.3 will remove older versions of the HBC. Luckily, you can use the Letterbomb exploit to get the HBC back easily should this happen.

Do understand that there is a very remote possibility that updating to newer firmware always carries the risk of a console brick due to how the updates write to your console (even if you have never 'hacked' your Wii). I recommend that you install BootMii if you have not already.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
To be brief: SD Remix is a "buffs-only" balance patch that hopes to power the weaker characters to roughly Captain Falcon levels of competitiveness.
Just wondering, what made you guys decide on Captain Falcon levels of competitiveness, as opposed to say, anyone else who is more competitive than he is (or even less)?

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, what made you guys decide on Captain Falcon levels of competitiveness, as opposed to say, anyone else who is more competitive than he is (or even less)?
The decision is more of less "made for us" by the inherent character design of the weaker-tiered characters and the limitations of Melee hacking. We are working largely within the parameters of the existing game: nearly no new moves, no new special moves at all, and Melee character archetypes are mostly the same. Only Pichu is arguably a complete departure from his original archetype (joke -> glass cannon).

Disclaimer: Character strength is largely relative and by no means absolute nor objectively measurable:

Why we arbitrarily chose Captain Falcon as a measure of "viable" strength:

Captain Falcon has overwhelming strengths and a strong punishment game, enough so that the critical faults of his defensive game in comparison to the stronger characters can be compensated to a large degree. It would be very difficult, if not detrimental to the game itself, to try to balance critically flawed characters to the same strength as Marth or Sheik, never mind Fox or Falco.

Characters weaker than Captain Falcon in vMelee, such as Doctor Mario or Ice Climbers, have fundamental weaknesses that cannot be changed. The difference is their weaknesses begin to resemble the same deficiencies that plague low-tier characters. For example, Doctor Mario has significant range issues on his normals, but to change that not only invades Mario's character niche, it also is currently impossible to do so professionally since game animations cannot be modified.

Characters such as Mewtwo have numerous issues such as a weak punishment game, weak approach game, low survivability, etc. We try to mitigate as many of these issues as possible but you would need to largely overhaul the character in radical ways that depart from the Melee formula to address, for example, his weak approach game.

If you could make it so that Mewtwo can attack out of his Teleport special, you could solve the issue of a weak approach game, but you introduce new issues in the process - both on a practical and ideological basis.

Mewtwo benefits, but who suffers? Can Bowser adequately fight Mewtwo like this? Addressing Bowser's issues with this match-up will broadly affect other match-ups too! Won't Mewtwo's survivability be too strong? There's no precedence of such a movement option in Melee, are we straying too far from the essence of Melee's gameplay? Who draws the line on that?

Mint Alicarth

Smash Cadet
I can't wait for Melee SD Remix 3.1. I'm definitely starting up a SD Remix scene around my area when it comes out to the public.

To differentiate SD Remix from Melee a little more, could we have modified Menu music? I suggest maybe a custom song for SD remix and maybe Nomak - Anger of The Earth for a secondary menu theme.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
excuse me, I've been trying this mod for some time but, is it just for me or does Player 1 always have an Orange shield? i tried relaunching the mod a few times, but the shield always comes up as orange, i haven't tried to see other players' shields but player 1's shows as orange while playing SD Remix

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
To differentiate SD Remix from Melee a little more, could we have modified Menu music? I suggest maybe a custom song for SD remix and maybe Nomak - Anger of The Earth for a secondary menu theme.
There will be a custom title screen and the character select screen for VS Mode will have different colors. Custom tracks would increase the download size a fair bit and I'd like to keep it small.

excuse me, I've been trying this mod for some time but, is it just for me or does Player 1 always have an Orange shield? i tried relaunching the mod a few times, but the shield always comes up as orange, i haven't tried to see other players' shields but player 1's shows as orange while playing SD Remix
Players have different colored shields in SD Remix. It is intentional. Do you not like it?

Mint Alicarth

Smash Cadet
Will Ness in a future build of Melee: SD Remix have a hitbox on the start up frames of PSI Magnet? Using it like a shine could really advance his metagame and would really bring use to being able to jump cancel it now.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Is there a ready made .ISO about? I just used GCRebuilder and replaced the root folder in the extracted ssbm1.2. I don't understand what to do with the sys folder, where do boot.bin and main.dol go inside the original .ISO?

In the instructions on the first page it says to do stuff with the SD card, but I figured since I've already played the 20XX hack pack from a usb that I can just patch the .ISO and use DMToolbox. I'm not sure if I did everything right, I completely left out everything in the sys folder, need some help. I basically just want an .ISO that I can use, since I don't want to follow a guide and do a bunch of stuff that's probably unnecessary.

BobbyTheBrokeMonarch

Smash Cadet
I can't wait for Melee SD Remix 3.1. I'm definitely starting up a SD Remix scene around my area when it comes out to the public.

Such a good song and genre of music. Reading your comment drove me to make some song loops for Melee, Brawl and on the go: http://www.reddit.com/r/BRSTM/comments/29744h/submission_anger_of_the_earth_nomak/

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey, was just wondering what the deal is with the changes to Yoshi's Jump OoS mechanic? I tested it in game and he can't jump out in the version I have, was wondering if it's optional, or what the deal is exactly? Was it decided to remove it again?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hey, was just wondering what the deal is with the changes to Yoshi's Jump OoS mechanic? I tested it in game and he can't jump out in the version I have, was wondering if it's optional, or what the deal is exactly? Was it decided to remove it again?
Yoshi's Jump OoS has been removed for some time. We never found out how to change his shield so that he actually suffers from shieldstun (this made him quite overpowered as we found out), not to mention it greatly changes the way he plays.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yoshi's Jump OoS has been removed for some time. We never found out how to change his shield so that he actually suffers from shieldstun (this made him quite overpowered as we found out), not to mention it greatly changes the way he plays.
This could almost certainly be done with IE's action state hack.

If player is Yoshi --> if in shield action state (different from shield stun action state) --> if x, y, up, or c-stick up is pressed --> force kneebend (prejump) action state.

But you would need to add in a check of some sort so you couldn't buffer it with the digital buttons or with the analog stick

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
This could almost certainly be done with IE's action state hack.
For Yoshi OoS, you actually don't need to use the action state hack at all, simply rewrite the shield functions' interrupt exceptions in main.dol to include jumping. The game takes care of the rest. The issue with Yoshi OoS is that Yoshi suffers only half the shieldstun everyone else suffers. Combine that with jump out of shield and you get nasty results. Great for Yoshi though!

Regarding Ness having a "Shine:" Ness in 3.1 will be a treat for Ness fans. No shine, but honestly, he has everything he needs to get the edge on opponents. Do remember the silly things you can do with Ness in Melee 1.0. Having a semi-real recovery is one of them. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom