• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Gea, the flash doesn't interfere with gameplay. It just helps newer players learn to L-cancel easier. It's something they integrated into project M and it works wonderfully.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Newer players aren't going to pick up this game. It isn't for new players. Its for experienced players. There is no need for flash at all.

:phone:

Gea

Smash Master
By the way, is Samus' chargeshot glitch known to you guys? Assuming you all are serious about this project I might do a better writeup of all the changes and what needs to be looked at. Anyways this glitch I assume comes out of the up + b change you guys did but if you hit samus out of using her charge shot when she is in mid air she can retain the shot even though she was clearly hit out of the animation. Pretty lame to stuff the shot and have it shot at you immediately after.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Interesting; I guess the two actions utilize the same call. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
By the way, is Samus' chargeshot glitch known to you guys? Assuming you all are serious about this project I might do a better writeup of all the changes and what needs to be looked at. Anyways this glitch I assume comes out of the up + b change you guys did but if you hit samus out of using her charge shot when she is in mid air she can retain the shot even though she was clearly hit out of the animation. Pretty lame to stuff the shot and have it shot at you immediately after.
Now you mention it, I tested it today and it was true. Even if you were hit while charging, you would resume that charge exactly at the same level you were hit.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
^ I'm pretty sure you don't lose your charge levels if you are hit while charging; only if you're hit while releasing the projectile do you LOSE IT ALL IN ONE PIECE.

Interestingly enough, DK loses his punch charge if he is hit out of performing a charge despite the two character receiving essentially the same change on a coding basis.

tl;dr: i hate smash bros

obv :192:

edit: gea is right i only believe in swords

Gea

Smash Master
Actually I am 100% sure that is not true. Any character charging a move will lose their entire charge if hit out of the charging animation. DK and Samus also lose a fully charged one if hit out of the firing animation or their up B for whatever reason. So Samus retaining her charge shot even when hit out of the charging animation is an unintended buff.

Edit: Just double checked with a vanilla melee copy. Samus loses her charge if hit out of the charging animation.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Do any texture hacks not work with SD Remix? For example, what if I had the black PK thunder texture? Would the changes to PK thunder from SD remix just overwrite the black thunder hack, would it bug, or would both work?

Sorry if this has been asked.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
dear god no.

btw, guys you can check out hitboxes and hurtboxes yourselves. go into debug mode and hold R and then hit up on the D-pad.

MVP

Smash Ace
I was just saying for samus' charge beam. Luv you samus

MVP

Smash Ace
dear god no.

btw, guys you can check out hitboxes and hurtboxes yourselves. go into debug mode and hold R and then hit up on the D-pad.
I went in and did this and nothing happened.

How does debug menu work?

iPunchKidsz

Smash Cadet
Hacking Textures Or Adding AR Codes With DIOS MIOS Lite

I searched EVERYWHERE for quite some time now :( I have been trying to hack my SD Remix with an AR code so I can fight metal opponents cause .. Well .. I love fighting them along with the theme song lol . Its DOPE ! <3

But I been having trouble lately . I created a .gct file named GALE01 and I placed it on SD:/Games/GALE01 but .. everytime I start DIOS MIOS Lite and enable the Cheats option , whenever I start up SD Remix , a green screen comes up and it stays that way :(

I need help ! Maybe I'm posting in the wrong section but I dont know where else to go because I searched everywhere and nothing :(

I see some Youtube videos have hacked textures on SD Remix . . :/

Help me ? Textures or AR Codes ? :(((

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
What exactly are you guys doing to publicise SD Remix? just curious, oh and do you guys have any plans to merge this with SSBMO? I'm not you guys, but it seems to me makeing this go hand-in-hand with melee online could help get some recognition and vice-versa, plus you would only need to change the files to get it working on Dolphin, instead of haveing that non-noob friendly guide on how to play with the Wii. I'm not saying completley forget about using it on a console, but it seems pretty hard to do and hard to get tournaments to play it, plus with PM on the rise everywhere...so yeah

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm trying to make videos of it, but my damn laptop keeps skipping frames because it can't fully handle dolphin so then everything messes up

VietGeek

Smash Hero
We plan to remove the Up-B "fix" on Samus (and only Samus; DK keeps his), but otherwise, we would like more feedback, possibly more specific feedback.

There are also a few minor tweaks here and there that have been the talk of the BR, but you can only get so much "insight" talking to the same people over and over again. Backrooms are notorious for facilitating "groupthink" sort of situations.

Gea, you said you could write up some of your concerns. I myself would appreciate this very much. It is ultimately up to you however.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I are all treating this like an official patch. In other words, we pretty much dropped melee. We will all update you with feedback after a month of playing this. It has only been a week for us thus far.

We really love this patch.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
My friends and I are all treating this like an official patch. In other words, we pretty much dropped melee. We will all update you with feedback after a month of playing this. It has only been a week for us thus far.

We really love this patch.
this is true dedication. thank you

Gea

Smash Master
I have attempted writing my thoughts down a couple of times, but without every really a full feeling of successfully conveying my thoughts on the mod. For this reason I think I'm going to take a couple of characters at a time and maybe feel out some of the design choices more with feedback from you guys and then dumping more characters instead of making some massive wall of taint and tedium.

Lemme give a bit of a preface to my post. My statements are under the assumption that vanilla Falcon/peach are the levels of good to go toward, and that the less one has to change about a character, the better. On that note, I'd rather the changes not be enough initially than have to scale back and forth. I think a general mistake of this mod is thinking too much about the space animals when designing these. At least, that's the impression that I get. Anyways, I'm gonna start with three characters and we can go from there.

Doc - I think some point was missed about what Doc needed to be good. While I could sit here and say I loved all the buffs and everything, I actually think most of them are pointless to his real struggles. The only buff that needs to stay is the recovery one. Doc is all about converting reads into grabs, and grabs into followups. I know this suggestion seems strange, but try reverting back his aerials and give him sheik's jab properties for 1 and 2 as well as a very very slightly better grab. Let him have better options for once he is in close, he already has the tools to reap the rewards after he gets started. This isn't to say the buffs he got were bad or make him overpowered.

Bowser - Some changes were very very needed, like his jump speed. Overall though he just feels like he was given power to make up for his lack of followups. Like I'm not sure he outright needs killing throws with the klaw's bthrow is already a killer throw. I'll throw out there that I am not a fan of the fsmash explosion. Isn't the ability to break lightshields in one go a bit... overboard? Uair may be sliiightly too strong as well, but it's hard to say considering it can still be tricky to land. It kills 15-20% before Fox's uair does and on some characters that is pretty low if they are in the air. I kind of feel like nair is also weirdly strong feeling, especially considering just how far bowser can go offstage now. It kind of outclasses fair due to the angle/knockback. Bowser lacks any aerials for soft knockdowns to follow up. I get the idea that he is supposed to be a character that punishes hard when he finally lands a hit, but that just makes him a polarizing character. That is what I feel like he is right now. Polarizing.

Luigi - This is where I just have questions. I have mixed feelings about Luigi as a character in general, because I feel like he is really underrated in a lot of ways, but he has some glaring weaknesses that stifle him from being... well... probably better than Doc to be honest. My question is what was the thought process going into balancing him? His changes kind of seem all over the place.

Oh and lemme throw out that I think Samus feels absolutely wonderful. Probably the best handled character.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Thanks for taking the time for writing out some of your thoughts. You are correct that many of the characters are designed with space animals in mind. Not because we believe space animals are well-designed or a good baseline for character balance, but because they exhibit qualities most reflective of the way people play and think Melee.

That is pretty much the greatest "design philosophy" difference. Of course, neither is necessarily better or worse, but by trying to aim for a game with nearly no nerfs (there's only 1 counting and most people would honestly not notice), it seemed more conductive to aim for a higher baseline.

Now with that out of the way:

Dr. Mario - The BR actually felt this way too, but we understood Dr. Mario was a very solid, well-balanced character and had difficulties with how to handle him. Of course, the end result is minimalistic changes that broadened his options but as you said, did little to tackle his issues. Your suggestion is very neat though, definitely something we will look into.

Bowser - We always felt Bowser was already a polarizing character except he was underwhelming. His character traits and moves don't necessarily lend toward a cohesive character design while still being remotely "good." Do I believe certain aspects of his character are silly? Yes. However, with the SD team's preface in mind, the decisions that went into Bowser's design might make a little more sense. Yes, he hits extremely hard and aside from D-air and its landing hitbox, perhaps his jab 1 with its new IASA too, he lacks soft knockdown moves that one can easily land. There are plans to perhaps make his Koopa Klaw convert more nicely into follow-ups. I believe he is meant to be handled in terms of balance in a characteristically rash manner. If he makes players rage, then there's hope that he was handled well enough. This sounds like an awfully poor design decision, but it has worked for other fighting games with similar characters to some extent. *laughs*

Luigi - Some of his changes reflect the current thought that KO ability is greatly important in Melee, therefore some of his moves have received knockback/damage changes to convert into raw killing power. His greatest asset in Melee is his aerials but not necessarily his "air game" considering the poor aerial mobility. Shield damage, IASA changes, knockback changes, etc. in this regard are to give him more versatility in how he chooses to apply his aerial game to gameplay. We also feel his recovery is poor but we are limited in how we approach this issue due to limitations on the extent in which we can modify Melee with our current tools and knowledge, as it is a crippling fault of his. Unfortunately we are currently unable to "fix" Luigi Cyclone.

In general, most changes were done to flesh out his moveset options. We believe that given enough effective tools, players will be able to apply these tools to situations as they see fit. This line of thought usually coincides with developers that are making a "new" game, as developers only see their game and its balance unfold as players exploit and manipulate the game engine and character tools (where they then react and address problems as they see fit). Some would say that we, modifying a pre-existing game (and an old one at that), should take a more reactive, as well as a more minimalistic approach. We have tried to address some of Luigi's pressing problems, and we understand Luigi is not exactly a well understood character, but as you may feel with many characters, we went out of our way to flesh out characters in a way that does not so much target specific key weaknesses, but rather generalized faults and issues. We were fully aware that this balance patch wouldn't "perfect" Melee's character balancing, even without our admittedly liberal meddling of character attributes.

This took much longer than I thought it would, and tbh it feels like I rambled most of the time. If you need any clarification, feel free to ask.

Top Bottom