• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scatz's controls are like a religion...

Chaco

Never Logs In
...he just converted three of us. They are the best for Yoshi, no matter what anyone argues.

Scatz might just be Jesus.

Discuss.

Metatitan

Smash Master
IMO they aren't unless u really wanna DR... i mean if u use secondaries to cover a variety of matchups (like any sane person) then the control set doesnt really serve a purpose. but yeah i guess if u really really really wanna DR....

Airborne

Smash Lord
seriously, though. try his setup and DR with it then reconsider DR being "completely useless and too hard"... ******* and your "xxa is too hard", scatz makes it too easy with the BEAST SETUP!!!

Metatitan

Smash Master
i use xxa and its not hard... i just dont see that much of a use for DR. even with DR f smash is extremely punishable

Metatitan

Smash Master
green ace has managed to place higher than most yoshi mains out there and clearly has no need for DR. hes probly tried it and realized how little use it is

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Might wanna make that 4 people converted.

I had to admit I was skeptical at first; one look at the control scheme would raise eyebrows for even the most frequent visitor of the Yoshi boards (we should all be accustomed to wonky control schemes by now) . I hit up the YB-Cstick format for the first time today and within probably no more than 20 minutes I was pulling the DRs Once...twice...3...4...5...6... times in a row. This coming from a person who had trouble pulling off the DR 1/7 times with the traditional YY-A/XX-A format.

I'm convinced, YB-Cstick Fo' Lyfe.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've never even heard of green ace *going to check rankings after this post*

More on topic, I'll have to look at this scheme. I don't see a need for DR except maybe against snake to get a Fsmash in but w/e it'll be good to know.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I need to jump on the bandwagon and try this out.

IMO they aren't unless u really wanna DR... i mean if u use secondaries to cover a variety of matchups (like any sane person) then the control set doesnt really serve a purpose. but yeah i guess if u really really really wanna DR....
Are there really that many characters that require you to drastically change the controller setup to play them effectively? All the Scatz setup really does is switch the functions of the B and X buttons. Re-adjusting from the old controls shouldn't take too long.

I've never even heard of green ace *going to check rankings after this post*
Green Ace pops in once a week to let us know he placed in the money at the weekend's tourney.

bigman40

Smash Master
In all honesty, unless someone can place DR/DT as useless as Infinite Jumping, SuperJumping, and ELFS then you MIGHT make me consider not working on this move. Anyone that can't provide enough reasoning is being ignorant, and neglecting on trying something out to it's fullest abilities when it could possibly help Yoshi move through this stagnant meta-game he's at right now.

Also LOL @ Chaco for making this thread! XD This very day, Elef, Chaco, Airborne, and Disco have changed mainly B to jump since it is, by far, the easiest method to DR/DT.

Stupid reason is stupid. I use this setup for my secondaries, and they aren't affected in any way as you make it out to be. As a matter of fact, I could easily make Mario, Pikachu, Bowser, and PT my secondaries if I wanted to (they're almost as good as my Yoshi now). Seriously, you're not doing any help to Yoshi's metagame. Stop trying to pull my attempts down by your pessimism.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Anyone saying DR/DT isn't usefull is just in denial.
Im pretty consistent using them and I can tell you they are deffinatly worth learning. I don't use it as much as I would like, I simply forget during the heat of battle, but when I do it pays off.

Scatz controls are great for DR/DT, but persoanlly... I use Tap Jump X A, and its works very well for me, I can DT easily with that setup. But, most Yoshis don't use tap jump so it really is worth giving Scatz control scheme.

Also, I don't use any secondary. I haven't learnt to use any other character but Yoshi since I imported the game on its US launch. Sure, it means I lose a lot, and maybe my sanity is a little off XD, but at least I lose with Yoshi! C'mon, thats a bigger victory than winning with another character.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Control configurations get?

I don't know. I'm too used to XXA ad using Z to grab. :\

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
You can keep Z to grab. The only changes you'd need to make are to make B jump and move specials to another button, like X.

.Marik

is a social misfit
You can keep Z to grab. The only changes you'd need to make are to make B jump and move specials to either Y or X.
Oh, I understand.

But wooooooooooow that's going to be pretty... different at first. :p

bigman40

Smash Master
You can keep Z to grab. The only changes you'd need to make are to make B jump and move specials to either Y or X.
No, you can't change the controls for Y. If you change that, then you can't slide your thumb down the controller (cause it's Y B C-stick). The only change the needs to happen is B to jump and then find a place where Special would make you feel comfortable (most of the time it's X cause it's no need to have 3 jumps).

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
I see scatz must have talked to Chaco after he talked to me (or before, and that would suck because it would burst my bubble SO badly).

Anyway, didn't try it yet, but defitinetly gonna try if I'm lucky and get my new brawl tomorrow.
Gonna let you guys know when I'm finished testing.

Love ya!

Chaco

Never Logs In
I can DR better than ever now, and I love Scatz. No homo, but :yoshi:<3.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I, D-Torr, the black sheep Yoshi, was playing with YBC-Stick throughout most of the day today, and I find it fun. I still prefer my original settings, going YLA, but I will continue to damper with Scatz method. Only thing is that I will not use R as special, like Elef does. It is so hard for me to shield/spot dodge with X, so I will switch them around. Plus leaving R as shield will allow me to continue using Diddy at a high level.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
they should make sumthing that allows u to save a movement ona button then everyone would be using the dr button. i may try ur setup grampz/jesus/scatz/some black guy whose good at yoshi

bigman40

Smash Master
they should make sumthing that allows u to save a movement ona button then everyone would be using the dr button. i may try ur setup grampz/jesus/scatz/some black guy whose good at yoshi
If DR/DT itself could be set to just one button in brawl, then there would be exactly NO tech skill involved. That's making things FAR too easy.

Depster

Smash Champion
hm my CC is pretty easy to DR with. YXA with one slide is pretty easy. I may try that one though just in case I decide to switch back to Cube

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I've tried it and I can't seem to get it to work. I'll stick with my old controls, thank you. =/

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, I don't. My computer blocks it.

And I already know how I'm supposed to do it. You just slide your thumb across the buttons needed to perform it. I just have an easier time doing it using my old controls.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
Heh, I dont actually DR as much as I could in my matches (well at all tbh), but i pull them off decently in training mode using R X A.

Using Y would be a pain for me since I use Y to grab as my Z button is broken.

Depster

Smash Champion
I tried, I don't like it much either, but I tried setting taunts to jump, and I got some DRs out of that by doing what I think the game picked up as d pad>x> a (or c stick, idk)

I think I'll stick to CC and will encourage others to try it, especially cause cube controllers won't be here forever XD (and a wired CC is coming out =D)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
As intruiging as this control scheme sounds, I think I'll stick with my tap jump/B-sticking configuration. Setting the C-stick to smashes will eliminate my ability to double jump after egg toss, and I'm no good at adapting to new control schemes. I tried converting to tap jump off a while, and it just felt extremely awkward. >_<

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one having trouble with the slide? I always seem to hit A before I get to B.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Upon another try, I guess you really just need to hold your thumb pretty much vertical to the controller. While I'm certainly nowhere near 100% with the DR, I was successful enough times to be satisfied. Count me among the converts. Praise be to Jesus Scatz!

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol. You don't need it to be vertical to make it work. The tip of your thumb can do it for you (I can do it by either the side of my thumb, or on the flat part of it), you just have to keep the fatter part of your thumb from pushing down (that's where I claimed you need the angle). I'll have some kind of video to show you guys what I mean about it.

Top Bottom