• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scariest Moments in Video Games

Gerbil

Smash Champion
So I decided that (since I couldn't find one, and punch me if I missed it) to create a thread discussing your scariest moments in video game history. This can include any video game from Resident Evil to My Little Pony. The idea is just to share and see who experienced similar things as well as reminisce(sp?) on the past. :D

So for me, I hated (loved) playing Resident Evil. I always got the chills from opening doors, half expecting zombies to jump out at me and rip my flesh from my bones. O_O

Also, Ocarina of Time.... the zombies and dark temple.... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Mostly all the time in L4D... I get surprised easily XD

I also have that Saw game... scary stuff when stuff you don't expect pop out XD

But if you want hardcore scary, then I can't answer that XD

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'll use spoiler tags 'cause you never know.

RE4: Regenerators. Enough said.
Also, there's a part when you're walking by a bunch of ovens or something, and a guy jumps out on fire. That scared the crap out of me.

Dead Space: Very early on in the game,
there's a bunch of dead mutants all over, and one of them jumps up right behind you.
Scary as ****.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So for me, I hated (loved) playing Resident Evil. I always got the chills from opening doors, half expecting zombies to jump out at me and rip my flesh from my bones. O_O
Same (the Gamecube one at least). The Crimson Heads scared me the most. They're just so... creepy. I always burned any zombies that I didn't head shot to avoid meeting those. Unfortunately, they placed 2 or more that you can't burn early on if I'm not mistaken.

I know that there are scarier games, but I just get creeped out in the RE remake. :laugh:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Can we get some links people???

I will never forget when I was little and my uncle was playing Silent Hill 3. I watched him play it and I scarred myself for life after I watched this particular part where the protagonist's reflection stops moving in a mirror. I ran out of the room and that one moment has been etched in my mind since then.

It might not scare you during the day, but I dare ANYONE to watch this video at night and try to stare into a big mirror in the dark. It's just not gonna happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYtflr1KsM

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Can we get some links people???

I will never forget when I was little and my uncle was playing Silent Hill 3. I watched him play it and I scarred myself for life after I watched this particular part where the protagonist's reflection stops moving in a mirror. I ran out of the room and that one moment has been etched in my mind since then.

It might not scare you during the day, but I dare ANYONE to watch this video at night and try to stare into a big mirror in the dark. It's just not gonna happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYtflr1KsM
You actually can't leave at first. The door locks behind you until the blood comes out of the reflection and starts to seep into the "real world".

Basically, Silent Hill 1-3 have these moments on lockdown. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKleaKTU3E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LydMOmMWk9s

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo's E3 press conference last year was pretty scary when I thought they were going to end on that dumb vitality thing and not going to have any good games.

but seriously

I have a mild fear of dogs (or used to have I guess since I'm mostly ok with them now) so the dogs in RE4 scared me. I dreaded the hedge maze in the castle since it was riddled with them.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the silent hill series is @___@;

yeah lyth, the re-generators were pretty o.o

hahaha that hedge maze was pretty intense when i first played it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You actually can't leave at first. The door locks behind you until the blood comes out of the reflection and starts to seep into the "real world".

Basically, Silent Hill 1-3 have these moments on lockdown. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKleaKTU3E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LydMOmMWk9s
Isn't that the game where a dog controls the games events or something?

I vaguely remember playing SH2 and due to actually seeing this... this made me give up on making me playing the rest of the sereis...

DUB

Smash Lord
I'll use spoiler tags 'cause you never know.

RE4: Regenerators. Enough said.
Also, there's a part when you're walking by a bunch of ovens or something, and a guy jumps out on fire. That scared the crap out of me.
Exactly what I was gonna say. I almost had a seizure when he popped out. Oven Man is renowned.

If you plan on playing RE4, seriously don't watch this. Oven man will make you **** a brick when you don't expect him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIGWR66jjk&feature=related

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Resident Evil 5 co-op. We both jumped when it happenned.

Friend: ''Help! Why are you standing there?''

Me: ''Haha, look at you running from the chainsaw man. What a looooooser.''

<enter chainsaw man no. 2 who chops my head off from behind>

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Effectively half of Alan Wake.

Much of the games is walking out in the woods at night. As if that wasn't enough to make you paranoid, You have to navigate through ghost towns, old buildings, mines, and whatnot. Most of the enemies (even the big ones) typically pop out at you from the side (if not behind). Worst of all, ammo is kinda scarce without searching (the handgun can only hold 42 rounds total. On nightmare, the average enemy takes 4 hits to down, making said task harder against groups.)

Really the best strategy in Alan Wake is pop a flare & run

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
@ Lythium: Yeah, that part scared me too. I nearly jumped out of my seat when it happened. :ugh:

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Meeting the Flood in Halo: CE comes to mind for me. Maybe it was because I was but a wee tot at the time, but god I couldn't pick up the game again until I forced my dad into the room with me. The music didn't help.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
SH is so scary because of its atmosphere. I haven't even finished any of those games because of the atmosphere alone. Watching those clips alone doesn't give it the proper feel, unfortunately.
I still don't get what's so scary about SH

They can't even dish out a decent ending in SH2

I thought they'd do some worthwhile ending, but all that happens is a dog controls this.

Do they think this is a joke or something?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Do they think this is a joke or something?
Well after making the player **** themselves for 5 hours straight trying to complete the game, I think it's a genious idea. I laughed like crazy when I saw the dog ending on YT.

Oh and just in case you didn't know (which it looks like you don't), there are multiple endings in the game. This one in particular was just a joke ending.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Eternal Darkness in itself is a scary moment.
Also roacher already mentioned L4D. That game has made me jump so many times.

And some may not think so, but I really think the general atmosphere in Fallout 3's wastelands is a bit creepy.. Especially during the lower levels of the first playthrough they were.

S

smash brawl player 99021

You guys ****ing suck. Watching these at home, alone, even during the daytime I'm scared. *Shudders*

I've never really been "scared" by a video game, really... Once when I'm playing L4D and I stepped on a Witch, I **** myself... but not much else.

OH! NOW I REMEMBER! Bioshock series was sooo scary at some points. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3M3Sq4pbE&feature=related

That's one of the best. Scared the **** out of me.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
crap I think it was one of the first Turok games for the N64.

Those raptors, jesus christ, they scared the **** out of me. It was just, they themselves weren't that scary, they just popped out when u least expected them..

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well after making the player **** themselves for 5 hours straight trying to complete the game, I think it's a genious idea. I laughed like crazy when I saw the dog ending on YT.

Oh and just in case you didn't know (which it looks like you don't), there are multiple endings in the game. This one in particular was just a joke ending.
Wait, there's more than one ending? Fml!!!

I guess I had just happened to get to the dog first huh :laugh:

EDIT:

ID, that wasn't scary, it was just downright hilarious :laugh:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
That one part in the Subspace Emissary where Tabuu goes all butterfly on your ***.

But seriously, Left 4 Dead never really scared me, it just surprised me. Fatal Frame tops my list of scary games.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
lythium said:
RE4: Regenerators. Enough said. Also, there's a part when you're walking by a bunch of ovens or something, and a guy jumps out on fire. That scared the crap out of me.
Augh, oven man startled the crap out of me. I wish more of RE4 had been like that area.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Now I really know my scariest moment in video game history.

I used to have Castlevania 64 and god**** that scared the **** out of me.

Of course I was like 5 at the time so of course it was scary. I never got past the part where when you beat the giant skeleton thing at the beginning and you have to defeat teh **** gorilla thing afterwards.

The thing and the sounds it made just scared the **** out of me. It didn't help that the menu was a necrominaton or however you spell the **** book.

Seriously scared the hell out of me

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Unagi the Bloody Eel.

Super Mario 64 gave me an understandable fear of large fish and deep water. Could not go into either of the water levels in that game for a decade. I wish I could exaggerate about that.

As far as actual horror games go, probably Dan Barrows from Clock Tower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwYMIrIpBbg&feature=related
Totally agree with SM64. I get chills just thinking about it.

Anyone played The House? It's a flash game you can find online. Scares the living ****ing **** out of me. The music and atmosphere is the most unnerving thing ever. I had my friend play it for me while I curled in a ball on my chair.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Wait, there's more than one ending? Fml!!!

I guess I had just happened to get to the dog first huh :laugh:

EDIT:

ID, that wasn't scary, it was just downright hilarious :laugh:
You're stupid or lying. The dog ending is a joke ending that is only attainable after getting through the game the first time, finding a key in the New Game+ and using it on a specific door midway through the game.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
When I played Metroid Prime for the first time... and you get the thermal visor, and you hear glass break with shrieking noises. You turn around to see Metroids...staring at you. I was only 9 or 10, it's imbedded in my mind.

I got Metroid Prime Trilogy for Xmas, and when I got to that part on Hypermode... I froze up and almost died lol.

Top Bottom