• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scariest Enemy of All Time

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
So we've got a thread dedicated to the most annoying enemies of all time. So who are the absolute scariest -- the one's who 'till this day stain your britches?

I'm going to have to go with the ReDead from OoT/MM. Their shrieks - which sound like a woman dying - still give me the chills when least expecting them. They aren't your casual zombies either, they're nude, and wear horrific wooden masks. Oh yeah, and after paralyzing you, they mount you and attempt to chew through your skull.

So how about you guys?

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Even up to this day, Giygas will forever be etched into my mind as the most creepy enemy I've had to face. I wasn't even sure what he was supposed to be; All I know is that I somehow made out the shape of a baby from his distorted image, and the quotes he said throughout the fight? They still send me shivers up my spine.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Even up to this day, Giygas will forever be etched into my mind as the most creepy enemy I've had to face. I wasn't even sure what he was supposed to be; All I know is that I somehow made out the shape of a baby from his distorted image, and the quotes he said throughout the fight? They still send me shivers up my spine.
Fill me in. All I know is that he's from Earthbound.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
This description may be a bit vague, I myself don't recall that much about Earthbound, save for the final battle.

A link to the final battle: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2M5UU9R2TCg [This may also explain why you see Porky/Pokey as a boss in SSE for you...he's Ness' evil neighbor..I think.]

Basically, Giygas was the final boss of Mother, where he swears he'll get revenge someday to Ninten. In Mother 2, which we know as Earthbound, Giygas gains so much power in the time between the two games, that he loses his physical form, and just becomes this mass entity of evil and harm. His actions are rather irrational, and he's referred to as, I believe, the Almighty Idiot, by Porky.

Porky/Pokey, in the final battle, releases him from the machine he's entrapped in, as seen in the video, and you fight from there. The music, along with the fact you're just attacking..something that doesn't even have a form makes the fight chilling and more frightful. It may not have such an affect on people today, but as a child? Boy, did that thing give me nightmares.

What makes it more creepy, is that as you fight, if you look hard enough, you see the slight image of a baby curled up, such that as a child in the womb. It makes you think of what Giygas may become; from once he had a physical form, and now he's being born anew into something more dangerous.

fransisco4

Smash Cadet
A fish that appear in Mario galaxy. Its not too horrible, its just a personal thing.

antimatter

Smash Lord
The SA-X from Metroid Fusion. I was only ten, but the way that it ran and couldn't die freaked me out.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Crimson Heads in the RE remake for the GCN. Nothing was worse than a zombie dead on the floor you had to walk past, and knowing that he will eventually get up and run at you like crazy. Set my nerves on end.

Corimon

Smash Apprentice
When I was younger, I had this strange fear of Poes from OoT/MM.

Also, that light from Super Metroid...

XACE-K

Smash Master
The zombie dogs in Resident Evil games. I don't know if they have an actual name but they still scare me.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Oh, just to add -- Dead Hand from OoT was far more scarier than the ReDead. I should have posted him in the original.

Also, Zant's giant floating hand from the Twilight Palace terrified me. You knew it was advancing and there was really nothing you could do as it crept through the air ever so ominously. It's kind of that second element to the nature of a being that's much more frightening than their appearance. It's the effect that they have on the environment and what negative energy they conjure towards you (rather than what may be obvious -- their appearance).

Ahh, there was another game where something large and ominous inevitably floated towards you (or moved somehow, I can't remember). It was much more frightening than Zant's Hand, but I cannot recall. Anyone have an idea as to what I'm getting it?

Mackaveli

Smash Rookie
*every f**kin enemy from Bioshock for the xbox360:

- the regular ones pop out of nowhere and charge u.
- the weird ones crawl on the ceilings and walls around u
- the elite big daddies charge you at full speed from across the level with a drill

*i also had my share of nightmares of Ganondorf kicking my a$$ multiple times after i saw him in zelda 64
when i was 9 lol

D

Deleted member

^^That mechanical fox from Sonic R? That's the dumbest enemy I've ever seen!

WARNING! IRONY APPROACHING!

For me, it's the Cloverfield monster:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Crimson Heads in the RE remake for the GCN. Nothing was worse than a zombie dead on the floor you had to walk past, and knowing that he will eventually get up and run at you like crazy. Set my nerves on end.
So true. OMG. In RE4, there's that part where you're in a sewer, and as you turn a corner you hear footsteps running at you but can't see anything.

I just about **** myself.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
First time a golden elite rushed at me in Halo 1, swung the energy sword and sent me flying like 20 feet across the bridge.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys ever play the Fatal Frame series? In the third installment, there was one chapter where you had to crawl under the floorboards. No further comments.

D13

Smash Ace
The SA-X from Metroid Fusion. I was only ten, but the way that it ran and couldn't die freaked me out.
That thing freaked me out too. I hated the part where you had to jump down on top of the SA-X and run away from it. =X So scary.

And in Twilight Princess, I was always afraid of those shodow monster thingers.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
The Haunts from Thief: the Dark Project. The sound of their footsteps while they prowl through the haunted cathedral, their whispers, their voice ("join us now!", and their laugh once they've spotted you... scary.

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice
*every f**kin enemy from Bioshock for the xbox360:

- the regular ones pop out of nowhere and charge u.
- the weird ones crawl on the ceilings and walls around u
- the elite big daddies charge you at full speed from across the level with a drill

*i also had my share of nightmares of Ganondorf kicking my a$$ multiple times after i saw him in zelda 64
when i was 9 lol
This man speaks the truth!!!!! About BioShock I mean.:laugh:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Zombie dogs from RE scare me the most.

But its all dependent on the environment. I can handle running down a hallway with windows and a dog jumps through one at me.

But the hedge maze from the Castle area in RE4....no matter how many times I go through it, I'm terrified.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
You guys should play the first Shadow Hearts for the PS2. M rated rpg where every encounter is with some scary-as-**** creature. Three-headed guys hanging from the ceilings, dogs balancing on severed arms, ***** monsters. Don't even get me started on Tamaris.

ACSephiroth

Smash Rookie
Aaron from Clive Barker's Undying, especially in the parts when he is chasing you around the manor and you can't kill him.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Most things from the Silent Hill series...
Pyramid Head- he ***** (literally) mannequins
Twin Victims- two headed ghost baby that walks on its hands? im staying away.
Eileen's head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAoaYpM_VWY)- it just stares and twitches its eyes at you. ****ing weird ****.
QFT. Silent Hill games are quite possibly the scariest, deepest games I've ever played. If you guys thought the SA-X was scary, try playing Silent Hill 2. Pyramid Head is like the SA-X, but exponentially worse. Resident Evil and Bioshock are so much more tame comparatively.

Also, the first time playing Parasite Eve (when I was ten or something), the police dog that mutated into a giant thing with three split heads. Terrifying at the time.

Sensai

Smash Master
The poison headcrabs from Half Life 2. And, I suppose, the poison headcrap zombies...but the headcrabs are what get me.

Man...I literally spaz out at my computer if I hear that sound.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Poison headcrabs definitely, faster and they hiss at you, and can startle you easily.

Zombie dogs from RE, playing it in the dark.

The first time I saw the ghost girl in FEAR and the flaming wall was bad, but there after, I knew what was going to happen.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Please, don't laugh at me...(you probably will), but when I was ten or so, I was afraid of Wallmasters from the Zelda series in OoT (first encounter was the first in the series where it was just an intense moment when they appeared). When this seems normal and stuff, now I'm afraid of those same enemies...in Wind Waker (duh duh duh DUUH)! Oh man, I can't even get through the temples without freaking out and pausing the game.

Whoever played the game will understand. They just appear out of nowhere sometimes, or you don't see them in time to mentally prepare yourself. And they are super FAST! They repeatedly try to grab you and if they do, you're at the start of the dungeon again. You have to kill them as fast as possible, but their speed makes it pretty much depend on your reaction time, very intense moment.

And do you remember in the Earth temple where you had to walk through the thick mist, a place filled with Floor/Wallmasters nonetheless? Probably the creepiest moment in an otherwise harmless game.

I mean, I'm the exact opposite when it's about movies, then nothing can truly terrify me, BUT when it comes to games, I'm a sissy. Tried RE: Veronica X once, played for the first 20 minutes, never played it again. I tend to play very defensively and I do everything very slow paced which is, why I can't play these games. For an other reason, those aren't my kind of games, so everything you've mentioned in this thread is almost completely lost on me since I don't have nerve enough to play through these respective games.

Wow, what a rant, but it had to be said...^^;

M.K

Level 55
Ok, so....I don't play that many realistic games with all the cool enemies that everyone is describing, but I got one.

Waterwraith from Pikmin 2.

Oh my god, this thing makes your heart fall through your stomach. It drops from the ceiling in the hardest dungeon in which you can only take some of the weakest Pikmin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vv1eG4vYEow

Just....listen to the sound it makes.

Apollo

BRoomer
BRoomer
The girl from F.E.A.R. had my cousin and I (18 and 20 at the time) running and yelling like little girls when we saw her pretty early in the game (I only remember a locked hall, flooded, fire, all that stuff). It was nighttime and pretty scary!

The whole Giygas section from Earthbound is pretty chilling, too.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Not in any order

1. Giant Chainsaw man (Resident Evil 4)
-I'm playing Missionaries in the Docks and see this guy. I'm thinking this is no different from all others but I was wrong. You get in his line of sight, and he swing his flaming double-bladed chainsaw like a mad psycho. Shoot at him and he won't even flinch. You get close to him and your dead. The scary thing is the feeling you get when he catches you and chops your head off. Almost feels like you're gonna get cut. Also, he doesn't climb ladders like the other Ganados. He jumps, really high.

2. Automatic door in the train (Resident Evil 0)
-You have no idea how many times this stupid door made me jump. That thing opens fast and has a loud sound effect. More scarier than any enemy in this game. Might as well call it an enemy since it has thrown me off guard several times.

3. Giygas (Earthbound)
-For a Nintendo game, this thing is freakish. Not only do we have some scary zombie face but listen to the sound effects. It sounds like muffled voices like if there's a poltergeist trying to communicate to you.

4. Regenerator/ Ironmaiden (Resident Evil 4)
-This thing does not look scary but that sound it makes is something out of a nightmare. If you blow out its leg(s), it slithers and flops in such inhuman ways.

I haven't played any Silent Hill game or Doom 3 so I doubt I've seen the scariest yet.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Please, don't laugh at me...(you probably will), but when I was ten or so, I was afraid of Wallmasters from the Zelda series in OoT (first encounter was the first in the series where it was just an intense moment when they appeared). When this seems normal and stuff, now I'm afraid of those same enemies...in Wind Waker (duh duh duh DUUH)! Oh man, I can't even get through the temples without freaking out and pausing the game.

Whoever played the game will understand. They just appear out of nowhere sometimes, or you don't see them in time to mentally prepare yourself. And they are super FAST! They repeatedly try to grab you and if they do, you're at the start of the dungeon again. You have to kill them as fast as possible, but their speed makes it pretty much depend on your reaction time, very intense moment.

And do you remember in the Earth temple where you had to walk through the thick mist, a place filled with Floor/Wallmasters nonetheless? Probably the creepiest moment in an otherwise harmless game.

I mean, I'm the exact opposite when it's about movies, then nothing can truly terrify me, BUT when it comes to games, I'm a sissy. Tried RE: Veronica X once, played for the first 20 minutes, never played it again. I tend to play very defensively and I do everything very slow paced which is, why I can't play these games. For an other reason, those aren't my kind of games, so everything you've mentioned in this thread is almost completely lost on me since I don't have nerve enough to play through these respective games.

Wow, what a rant, but it had to be said...^^;
Same here; wallmasters always freaked me out when I was 8. I think it's just the anticipation that's freaky. That's why RE games arent nearly as scary for me as the Silent Hill series. In RE, you walk down an empty hallway and you KNOW that something it going to pop out. In SH, they make you think that **** is going to pop out, but it doesnt; it just ****s with your head.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Same here; wallmasters always freaked me out when I was 8. I think it's just the anticipation that's freaky. That's why RE games arent nearly as scary for me as the Silent Hill series. In RE, you walk down an empty hallway and you KNOW that something it going to pop out. In SH, they make you think that **** is going to pop out, but it doesnt; it just ****s with your head.
Completely agree on both the Wallmaster and anticipation of fear over knowledge of fear. Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are the types of games that strike the deepest nerve of fear in you. Even without engaging in any kind of combat, the games are horrific in that the environments, their ominousness, and the feint sounds that envelop the game are the true benefactors to the element of fear. And the same even goes for Ocarina of Time. The Forest Temple was probably the scariest place in the game (and on my record, in video game history) -- because it was a huge mystery and remains so 'till this day. Throwing enemies in, like wallmasters was terrifying for me, because you are hinted by Navi to watch for shadows cast from the ceiling. The first time I saw that circular shadow begin to grow around me -- I just can't explain how horrible it felt, because I did not want to know what it was. Even the Shadow Temple does not best the Forest Temple when it comes to fear.

Top Bottom