• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
hannah montana is useless
And this authorizes you to further degrade the integrity of an already pointless board...how?

I live in Redfield, South Dakota actually, sorry. Oh and just because I live in a Redneck state doesnt mean I am one or want to be one lol.
Above the Missouri Compromise line is 'white trash'. The moniker 'redneck' applies only to Southern states.

Example: I and my friend moved from Okinawa, Japan three years ago. I moved to west Alabama, he moved to Rapid City, SD. (Brawl lag sucks) Anyhow, he firmly agrees with me that Alabama is far more redneck than anywhere in South Dakota or the surrounding area. According to him, South Dakota has a lot of "ignorant white people" (he's Filipino), but they're not redneck-quality ignorant. That requires distilling all intelligence, civility and tact down to a shapeless, plaid mass over a long period of time.

...you cant even Jab->tilt with alot of characters because just hitting with a jab forces an infinite jab. Jabs were HUGE in Melee and alot of people may have never even realized that, but now they're basically useless ;_;
I miss jabs. Some people have decent 2-hits though (Jiggs).

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
sheik can still f-air to jab if someone is shielding and nobody can do anything about it bwahahha

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
nah i mean f-air, the jab just comes out so quick, and it can still be spaced enough. ftilt is obviously more practical though since it like..does something.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
dont u dare tell me what to talk about, ill talk about what i want, **** u

who wants to talk about food? hot dogs are good. i want a hot dog.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
dont u dare tell me what to talk about, ill talk about what i want, **** u

who wants to talk about food? hot dogs are good. i want a hot dog.
Sorry Mr. Plairnkk, I did not mean to presume that I had any right to tell someone as accomplished as you what to talk about. If I may be so bold, I would like to say that I am your biggest fan and hope to be just like you one day. Would you have any advice for an aspiring Plairnkk wannabe?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yes, at the very least, tournaments should try to support and promote both Brawl and Melee. But I can see the issue of how this could affect tournaments negatively. It will force them to split the, what I assume are already pretty limited, amount of television/consoles between the two games, or force them to do the different games on different days or times, which means needing to book spaces for longer (and more expensive) periods of time.

Maybe this isn't so much an issue for larger, more supported tournaments, but it'll definitely be an issue for smaller, more up and coming ones.

If push really comes to shove, and only one game can be hosted reasonably, then I would say it really depends on the hoster, and what the aim of their tournament is. If they are actually trying to go for a serious level, competitive tournament, I would personally say it should favor Melee.

I could go for some Philly cheese steaks myself, though...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Sorry Mr. Plairnkk, I did not mean to presume that I had any right to tell someone as accomplished as you what to talk about. If I may be so bold, I would like to say that I am your biggest fan and hope to be just like you one day. Would you have any advice for an aspiring Plairnkk wannabe?
YOU'RE NOT A SHEIK MAIN; I'M A SHEIK MAIN.

I'M THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN KISS PLANK'S ***. GTFO my internetz, NYOKKUH.

Smooth Criminal

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Be a relentless ******* to everyone, but never be serious about it.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Yes, at the very least, tournaments should try to support and promote both Brawl and Melee. But I can see the issue of how this could affect tournaments negatively. It will force them to split the, what I assume are already pretty limited, amount of television/consoles between the two games, or force them to do the different games on different days or times, which means needing to book spaces for longer (and more expensive) periods of time.

Maybe this isn't so much an issue for larger, more supported tournaments, but it'll definitely be an issue for smaller, more up and coming ones.

If push really comes to shove, and only one game can be hosted reasonably, then I would say it really depends on the hoster, and what the aim of their tournament is. If they are actually trying to go for a serious level, competitive tournament, I would personally say it should favor Melee.

No, for me, it would be an expansion of hours on my two-day set up.

Day 1 - Brawl/Melee
Day 2 - Other

I would highly suggest that if you cannot make up time for it at one tournament, then just to hold a completely seperate tournament.

If a director holds them often, just switch off.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
No, for me, it would be an expansion of hours on my two-day set up.

Day 1 - Brawl/Melee
Day 2 - Other

I would highly suggest that if you cannot make up time for it at one tournament, then just to hold a completely seperate tournament.

If a director holds them often, just switch off.
Sounds good. Maybe the winner in each tourny could play each other in both games.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
He’s got two cheeks and you can’t even share one with me?
No. I'm frickin' stingy.

Now, back to the topic at hand before Scar sends me away from the thread for hellacious amounts of spam.

...if I ever hosted a tournament, I think it would be impractical to squeeze in both. One of the biggest issues that I've seen is time constraints, especially when it comes to a large turn-out.

Smooth Criminal

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Wow scar, I'm surprised to see discussion on this still going, I've already stated my opinions before WAY Earlier in this thread but I must say, this thread for sure has had some improvement.

Anyhow - As I have said before, right now, melee is more competitive, but I see brawl starting to reach towards that side as well, we'll have to wait more time to see what else comes out for it.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm going to EVO and possibly Pound4 with the rest of P2W, and I might be rooming with Smooth in the GA tourney. Anyone here planning on going to Kish's FC in Indianapolis?

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
What is our definition of competitive???
I'm pretty sure that according to the English language, competitive means "something that in which people can compete".
Now, by your guys's standards, it just seems to mean some people are able to be god, while others suck ***. How is that a good thing?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
What is our definition of competitive???
I'm pretty sure that according to the English language, competitive means "something that in which people can compete".
Now, by your guys's standards, it just seems to mean some people are able to be god, while others suck ***. How is that a good thing?
Yeah, but thats a BAD definition for competition as then literally ANYTHING that involves more than one person is competitive. So from there, you'd have to ask yourself, "How well does whatever it is im doing lend itself to competitive play?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom