• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if Nintendo could release a patch that would bring back l-cancel and enlarge the hitstun in hits :p. I think that everybody would be happy then when comes to competetiveness.

Anyway I dont care much about Melee since in Poland we have no tourney scene wich is dissapointing. I am planning on starting a Brawl competetive scene here when it comes out though, so I'm kinda more exited then some other people.

And Y. Jaffar is stupid :p.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Good stuff Wind Owl but explainin **** to that brick wall is pointless. He's only gonna block out **** that makes sense to him and try to explain the stuff that he thinks he can get away with. He's just another nub who thinks he know what he's talkin about.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we're all ignoring the troll at this point. Don't let him suck you in anymore, he obviously doesn't believe in logic.

Brawl... is camping. And slow and dull.

Reading some responses from before, I went back and played Melee again like one of the posters here did, and WOW!!! It's amazing to go back! It's like... fun again!

I like the fact that in Melee, you have to make decisions before you're even aware that you have a choice. That's why it's so deep. It's hard to even realize where you can change your tactics because everything is happening so fast.

In Brawl, I have forever to think about everything. When my entire strategy has to be "how to get to the camper", and then when I get close they can just smash and it starts over again, I don't have much fun.

I miss mewtwo, I loved playing as him... you could be so quick and tricky, his wavedash was so sweet, and you really could beat anyone (except i had a hard time vs falcos)... tiers be ****ed.

now, camping > quick, tricky, skills

Brookman

Smash Hero
Hey Scar, did you ever know that you're my hero? And that you are the wind beneath my wings?

Also, Roll.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Meh, you guys dont know what your talking about, I argee Brawl doesnt have the potential to become as techincal as Melee BUT Brawl can still be a good game, and competivie so this whole thread doesnt mean anything, no one will change there mine. And yes scars a kool guy

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Meh, you guys dont know what your talking about, I argee Brawl doesnt have the potential to become as techincal as Melee BUT Brawl can still be a good game, and competivie so this whole thread doesnt mean anything, no one will change there mine. And yes scars a kool guy
I can only assume you meant "their mind." Did you have any intelligent arguments, or did you just feel like trolling?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Brawl can still be a good game, and competivie so this whole thread doesnt mean anything, no one will change there mine.
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm only arguing the reasons for why Melee is a more competitive game than Brawl, and pointing out obvious flaws in the logic that others use to disprove it, like not having the same definition of "competitive."

Brawl will be competitive to a degree, but IMO it's a very low degree, especially relative to Melee. So why does this thread not mean anything? It means just what it means. There are people who think that Brawl is as competitive as Melee, and I think that they are wrong, and myself and others are presenting intelligent evidence to back our claim.

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
The OP should get some e-cookies. That was fantastic. I've also found Brawl to be a little less competitive than melee. I hate tripping, and most of the stages are random. At this point in time I think melee is a better choice for tournaments. At the Game Stop tourney I lost because I tripped and the other guy smash attacked me. Now how fair is that?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I don't mean to be an ******* but your opinion really seems like that of a 13 year old, and the way you're ignorant to everything we say stresses that.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Ouch. I just noticed I'm in the "Stupid persons" list. Nice.

I suppose I deserved it, as I did make a dork of myself by putting forward very poor arguments, but is that really called for? People are more than their least proud moment on the internet. :ohwell:

Anyway, I'm curious about something. If one were to define "competitiveness" as consistently rewarding skill, how would Brawl compare to Smash 64? I ask because the pacing of the two games seems somewhat similar, to my untrained senses. But I don't really know the "reward/risk" balance worked in Smash 64.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Smash 64 is more competitive, IMO. It's a pretty solid game.
Actually, I'd disagree. 64 was an example of the other extreme--the reward outweighs the risk by a mile. Several 0-death combos, overpowered throws, etc... it was almost always better to be the attacker. Competitive in the technical sense and still full of mindgames and the like, but absolutely little risk compared to the reward of getting a hit in.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Wiseguy, I'm trying to use that to encourage people to post intelligently, and to discourage them from being morons. You were being Jafar-ish earlier, overly confrontational, and ultimately ignorant of the debate at hand.

I haven't been on the thread recently so I don't know if you've contributed positively or not, but once I take a look I'll remove you from the list.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
So far I really haven't had a problem with shield camping. I play in a tournament group around Murray State of about 40 people and I haven't ran into someone that I couldn't approach, mind game, or frustrate into attacking. You've just got to learn the counterpicks for common camper characters. I don't know if nationally the competitive crowd for brawl will get bigger than that of melee, but I know the group I participate in is just as adamant if not more so about Brawl. So I have to assume that we're not going to be the only ones, and as long as there are people who are passionate about it, it has potential to grow.

This isn't so much as "Right now is this game as competitive as melee based on what we know about changed in mechanics bla bla" because that's an unfair question due to the "right now portion". The game has yet to develop and will do so over a large period of time, and because of this, the argument has no real answer other than conjecture by informed people. You can go on conjecture if you want, but it's really not that solid of an argumentitive device one way or the other. So rather than even having an argument on this, even though I have an opinion in it, I'm taking the stance of waiting for a factual, much less opinionated, answer when the tournament scene either catches up to melee, or falls short in about a year or so.

Because of that, personally, I don't see a point in this argument other than "My opinion is this, your opinion is that, let's discuss since that's all we've got".

Jafar

Smash Cadet
Because Sakurai wanted noobs to be able to beat pros who practiced the timing for it, so now most aerials have basically zero lag, while others are stuck uncancellable.
Nice argument, making up reasons and ****... You are not in his head, nor do you know his intention. He does an intention to do it and you dont know what it is so dont speak as if you do.

Either you're trying to make a blanket "Brawl is how it is, deal with it" and blatantly ignoring the OP, or you seem to think that the original argument has merit, in which case you're failing to illustrate why.

Reading the starred posts in the OP will help you out there.

First of all, you basically just said "the speed looks the same aside from the fact that it's not as fast." Second of all, go watch any Melee match where the players have some semblence of what they're doing, then go watch a Brawl match with the same criteria. Everything is slower. In fact, the stock standard was lowered from 4-5 in Melee to 3 in Brawl, expressly because matches were too slow.
Well ok can i have a link to a movie of two people playing melee when it first came out the first month please and ill compare that with brawl now.

People are learning to play the game now and your saying that its slower. well how fast was it when melee first came out. care to provide a link?

Whether or not wavedashing is a glitch has no bearing on whether or not Brawl is not as competitive as Melee, which, if you recall, is the purpose of this thread.
How competative would melee be withought L cancal and wave dash?

Again, this is completely irrelevant to the topic, but I suppose I'll indulge you in a response nonetheless. In fighting games, one action that "skips" another is often referred to as a cancel. In SSB64 and Melee, there was Z/L-cancelling that skipped the lag of aerial attacks when landing. In other games, such as the Guilty Gear series, there are several types of cancels that are all intentional and fully recognized by the programmers. Furthermore, the fact that touching the ground while airdodging puts your character into his idle state was, logically speculating, intentional. The default behavior would be for your character to sit on the ground with the airdodge animation until it ended, or worse, go through the ground, which would look pretty ugly.
Yes its intentional when they state it. Even if L cancal was intended the way IT WAS USED to combo powerfull moves that should not have been able to is what was not INTENDED. Why do you think its not in this game. BEcause people abused the mecanic.

Hopefully we're all ignoring the troll at this point. Don't let him suck you in anymore, he obviously doesn't believe in logic.

Brawl... is camping. And slow and dull.
You lack logic. And brawl has been out for a month. How fast was melee in its first month. Can you provide a video of the first month of melee?

I like the fact that in Melee, you have to make decisions before you're even aware that you have a choice. That's why it's so deep. It's hard to even realize where you can change your tactics because everything is happening so fast.
Thats great how many hours you put into melee? How many into brawl. SO you think that the game you played more you would have more intuition compared to a game which you havent spent as much time.

Give the game time it will speed up.
In Brawl, I have forever to think about everything. When my entire strategy has to be "how to get to the camper", and then when I get close they can just smash and it starts over again, I don't have much fun.
Im curious how was melee in the first few months the speed. can you provide a link to it?

Ah, the idiocy of noobs.
Yes because fox didnt have a slight advantage over marth. im an idiot and a noob. He did have that advantage and if you dont belive it go look it up dumb ****. google is your friend.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm only arguing the reasons for why Melee is a more competitive game than Brawl, and pointing out obvious flaws in the logic that others use to disprove it, like not having the same definition of "competitive."

Brawl will be competitive to a degree, but IMO it's a very low degree, especially relative to Melee. So why does this thread not mean anything? It means just what it means. There are people who think that Brawl is as competitive as Melee, and I think that they are wrong, and myself and others are presenting intelligent evidence to back our claim.
What made melee so competative in the beggining. How competative would it be withough wave dashing, L cancal abuse?

What made melee so competative compared to brawl?
Was it the same speed last year as it was the first year?
Where your answer to 1 around from the beggining of the games cycle?

"com·pet·i·tive (km-pt-tv)
adj.
1. Of, involving, or determined by competition: competitive games.
2. Liking competition or inclined to compete: a highly competitive teammate.
"

So far brawl fits into the defenition of competitive.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think that Brawl encourages intelligent play by limiting movement. In Melee I think many players became overly focused on the technical aspects. This resulted in many players developing "cookie cutter" styles which couldn't hold up against players who actually play against their opponent rather than just playing.

since you can't run around like a headless chicken in Brawl there is a greater emphasis on spacing, and with the increased stale moves garbage (what's that ish called?) move selection has to be a little more strategic in order to have a solid killing move once you build percent.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

I haven't visited this thread since our last discussion, so I doubt you'll find anything to vindicate me. I don't know who Jafar is, but I don't disagree with your critique. However, I would apreciate being removed from your "stupid" list. Your call though, I guess.

EDIT: Oh, so that's Jafar. Small world.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I think that Brawl encourages intelligent play by limiting movement. In Melee I think many players became overly focused on the technical aspects. This resulted in many players developing "cookie cutter" styles which couldn't hold up against players who actually play against their opponent rather than just playing.

since you can't run around like a headless chicken in Brawl there is a greater emphasis on spacing, and with the increased stale moves garbage (what's that ish called?) move selection has to be a little more strategic in order to have a solid killing move once you build percent.
This has been discussed over and over.

Spam is good enough in brawl that there really isn't an incentive to pay any attention at all to the move-degredation nonsense. And no, slower does not equal more thinking when you have fewer options.

Read the posts scar links to in the first post.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!

I agree, there is a bigger room for a zoning game.

However, I dont think that the stale moves thingy will add alot of depth... what it will do IMO is screw the crappy chars even more

Brookman

Smash Hero
Scar, should I play Brawl competitively?

Note: I am going to base my decision solely on your response, so make it a good one please :laugh:

Jafar

Smash Cadet
This has been discussed over and over.

Spam is good enough in brawl that there really isn't an incentive to pay any attention at all to the move-degredation nonsense. And no, slower does not equal more thinking when you have fewer options.

Read the posts scar links to in the first post.
What was melee in its first month? Was it a fast pace? Has it grown since the beggining.

This is the games first month let it relax and ease into playing. they will counter spammers and they will be usless and the game will speed up.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yes because fox didnt have a slight advantage over marth. im an idiot and a noob. He did have that advantage and if you dont belive it go look it up dumb ****. google is your friend.
You attempted to flaunt your non-existent knowledge of melee to try and persuade everyone that your opinions are valid by stating "Fox has an advantage over marth" and several others to make yourself sound like a credible source and therefore make your join date on smashboards irrelevant. The fact is, you joined this month and you probably posted 38 times in the last two days and you have no knowledge of this game from a competitive standpoint. This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't make such nonsensical and ignorant posts.

By the way, I main fox. I have played many marths and watched countless vids on this matchup. You are sorely mistaken if you think fox has an advantage over marth.

Jafar

Smash Cadet
You attempted to flaunt your non-existent knowledge of melee to try and persuade everyone that your opinions are valid by stating "Fox has an advantage over marth" and several others to make yourself sound like a credible source and therefore make your join date on smashboards irrelevant. The fact is, you joined this month and you probably posted 38 times in the last two days and you have no knowledge of this game from a competitive standpoint. This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't make such nonsensical and ignorant posts.

By the way, I main fox. I have played many marths and watched countless vids on this matchup. You are sorely mistaken if you think fox has an advantage over marth.
A slight advantage is a slight advantage.

And my start date has no relevance to my knowledge of the melee competative scene.

Start dates mean nothing in any respect to some one's information.

What makes melee so competative?
Was that around in the first month of competition.

Stop comparing a game in its infancy to a game that has seen its prime.

scar in response to you putting people on a stupid list

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde, De Profoundis, 1905

Who can shed light on this

"Also we will argue that contests are settled with dominance in Melee between players of NEARLY EQUAL SKILL! In Brawl, win/loss ratios are much closer to the 50% mark unless it's between two players of vastly different skill levels."

How is melee balanced if two players of equal skill face off and 1 dominates the other thats not competition thats a blatent differance in the character not the player.

I dont understand your reasoning.

Its more competative because

That 2 players of equal skill one will dominate the other? How does that make sense there of equal skill they should be on a level playing field.

SO why is that dominance the facter why you think it makes it mroe competative?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
A slight advantage is a slight advantage.

And my start date has no relevance to my knowledge of the melee competative scene.

Start dates mean nothing in any respect to some one's information.

What makes melee so competative?
Was that around in the first month of competition.

Stop comparing a game in its infancy to a game that has seen its prime.

scar in response to you putting people on a stupid list

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde, De Profoundis, 1905
There is no slight advantage at all. The best marth player in the world will always beat the best fox player in the world. This has been proven over and over with m2k's marth ****** every single fox he's played against.

It's true your start date is not indicative of your "information", but the ignorance in your posts is.

Melee has not seen it's prime. A 16 year old kid using jigglypuff defeated mew2king at pound 3. Clearly, this game has much more to explore. Of course I am going to compare brawl to it, it's the predecessor. Brawl may be in it's infancy, but with the smash community being as big and experienced as it is, we now know what to look for instinctively. Brawl has yet to impress with advanced techniques. I am going to give it around 6 months before fully declaring if the game cannot be played competitively successfully.

yoda55

Smash Cadet
I usually play melee when I want to play as mewtwo and roy since there not playable in Brawl.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Scar, should I play Brawl competitively?

Note: I am going to base my decision solely on your response, so make it a good one please :laugh:
I predict that Brawl's competitive scene will last for a while, but not forever. I don't see anyone ever becoming "too good" at Brawl, as Azen, M2K, PC, KDJ and more have become in Melee. I also see the vast majority of tournament matches being extraordinarily boring and campy and ultimately frustrating. Melee is a frustrating game too, since some characters and tactics are way too good.

If your question is which game should I play competitively, Melee or Brawl, then my answer is Melee. If there is any sort of Melee scene around you, play Melee. I need you in the community. <3

If you're just asking whether you should play Brawl or not, I'd of course give you the advice I am taking myself. I will play in Brawl tournaments if I happen to be at one, I won't drive far to go to any, and I will NEVER money match anyone in Brawl unless they deserve to beat me.

So, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom