• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SC -- SC, Where You Been!? -- Date: 3/13/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The only reason I'm not going is because I think this is mostly Melee. I don,t go where I don't have a number of people going, I don't want to lose too much money =.= I'm from Canada and it's expensive going down there. and suck it ETtwist, go to some tourney I go LOL like apex 2. ;D
Yeah dawg, we feel ya. I wanted to get some friendlies with you but it's all good. See ya at the Airship hopefully.

Thunder865

Smash Apprentice
Finally Sonic's doing it right again. 3D sonic=baddd.
Agreed lol
Meh, it still feels to me that it's not going to be a good game, or if it is, it'll be accidentally so. Sonic Team doesn't seem to know what they're doing anymore.

Just making a 2D Sonic game again does NOT equal Sonic 4. If Sonic Team knew what they were doing, they'd know that they're treading on hallowed ground by even using that title. And yet I see constant signs of horrible, horrible sacrilege.

The physics look all wrong, the pseudo-3D graphics don't suggest "This is Sonic 4" at all... and Sonic has a homing attack?! What are they thinking? Sonic doesn't have a homing attack because it looks cool, he has it because it's needed for the gameplay when you move into three dimensions.

When Capcom made Mega Man 9, they made Mega Man 9. It was 100% legit another Mega Man game, down to the intense memorization required and the difficulty. Because they remembered what Mega Man means.

I'm just scared, is all. I want Sonic 4, but I feel like all I'm going to get is Sonic Rush 3. And Sonic Rush was very, very mediocre. And, if they call it Sonic 4, well... they're violating one of the few things the series has left. ;-;

Wow, that was long and off topic. Smash forum. Right.
Sup guys? Tournament anytime soon?
And man, a lot of you bros are playing LoL. We should hit that up sometime.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
Meh, it still feels to me that it's not going to be a good game, or if it is, it'll be accidentally so. Sonic Team doesn't seem to know what they're doing anymore.

Just making a 2D Sonic game again does NOT equal Sonic 4. If Sonic Team knew what they were doing, they'd know that they're treading on hallowed ground by even using that title. And yet I see constant signs of horrible, horrible sacrilege.

The physics look all wrong, the pseudo-3D graphics don't suggest "This is Sonic 4" at all... and Sonic has a homing attack?! What are they thinking? Sonic doesn't have a homing attack because it looks cool, he has it because it's needed for the gameplay when you move into three dimensions.

When Capcom made Mega Man 9, they made Mega Man 9. It was 100% legit another Mega Man game, down to the intense memorization required and the difficulty. Because they remembered what Mega Man means.

I'm just scared, is all. I want Sonic 4, but I feel like all I'm going to get is Sonic Rush 3. And Sonic Rush was very, very mediocre. And, if they call it Sonic 4, well... they're violating one of the few things the series has left. ;-;

Wow, that was long and off topic. Smash forum. Right.
Sup guys? Tournament anytime soon?
And man, a lot of you bros are playing LoL. We should hit that up sometime.
While I agree with most of this. I have a few disagrements...

1st.] Sonic Rush wasn't THAT bad...I say if you take away the story (which BTW, Sonic, Mario, Megman...story is all the same it's the gameplay that matters.) It's pretty good.

2nd.] 2.5D is the way to go...and not only can it look good but it can play well, look at TvC, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii (which I own both games), 2.5D and they look and play great! If Megaman 11 goes 2.5D that would be awesome (I doubt it). Think about that graphic comment, just because the graphics update doesn't mean the gameplay has to change or will bad. Just saying. lol

3rd.] It's Sonic Teams creation. If they wan't to add homing attacks. Let em'. I think personally that they can incorparate that very well into 2D side scrolling action...and it's gonna be sweet for boss battles...I can just think of the many hundred ways to use the feature that actually WAS fun in the early 3D titles. Like Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 (the only good ones in 3D IMO) -- Sonic didn't originally have a spin dash, they added that in the second game...so adding things can be okay...even for a classic like this one

4th.] While I do agree that everyone who likes the Sonic name has worries that the game won't be good. If it IS good. I highly doubt it will be by accident...If this game is good. I applaud Sonic Team for their hard work and final realization that the past few Sonic titles past SA1 and SA2-- Has been HORRIBLE -- Also, Sonic Rush was not that bad lulz

Note: Also notice (of course you noticed, your not ******** lol) that what the site showed you is not the final product. It's no where near done! lol

All in all, Touche Friend, Touche....:chuckle: I enjoy these type convos with Thunder...it's fun and funny all at the same time

Oh yeah, and a New NBA Jam --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmrTBxlm7HA

Now I look forward to this...I've spent countless coins playing NBA Jam and NBA Hangtime

Thunder865

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Of COURSE this starts a new page. Now everyone has to scroll past my monolith of text to get to anything else in the topic. >_<;

Lol, I'll keep going as long as mods don't pop in and **** me for being off-topic.

1st.] Sonic Rush wasn't THAT bad...I say if you take away the story (which BTW, Sonic, Mario, Megman...story is all the same it's the gameplay that matters.) It's pretty good.
I agree, it wasn't terrible. I own it, I liked it when I played through it, but... the level design really crippled it. Sonic, even though it looks like it, isn't about running really fast and collecting rings- that's an effect, not a cause. Take another look at Sonic 1 and 2- Sonic 1 was actually really slow, when you think about it. Both of those games required you to navigate obstacles. The faster you navigated them, the faster you got done, and the more accurately you navigated them, the more rings you ended up with. The game rewards you for being good at it with speed, which is what makes you go "**** yeah this is awesome" when you play it.

Sonic Rush was "hold right. hold right. GET A METRIC ****TON OF RINGS for holding right. Keep holding right. WHOOPS THERE WAS A MONSTER IN THE PATH YOU COULDN'T SEE. It's ok though because you can pick up 60 of your rings before they disappear. Hold right. HOLD X." I could keep going, but you get the point. There's no reward for being good at it (actually, there's no way to be good at it, outside of memorization). Hence why you play it through once, then... stop playing it, while Sonic 2/3/Knuckles you can keep coming back to.

2nd.] 2.5D is the way to go...and not only can it look good but it can play well...
I've got no problem with 2.5D in itself. I actually love it. Whenever I get pro enough to make games myself, I expect them to be 2.5D. However, the fact that Sonic Team is using these Sonic Heroes-style graphics for Sonic 4 just hints at them not knowing what they're getting themselves into. So many fans (myself included) are so fed up with the series and the poor design choices they're making, that anything that even remotely suggests their last few games is a huge red flag. If Sonic Team were truly aware, they'd realize the jaded eye fans are looking at their game with and go back to real Genesis-style graphics. Like, painfully so. To the point where you're almost like "I wish they'd done a little more." At least you'd know that they understand their mistakes and are accurately addressing them. But they're not. So I'm worried.

3rd.] It's Sonic Teams creation. If they wan't to add homing attacks. Let em'. I think personally that they can incorparate that very well into 2D side scrolling action...
Homing attack is an awesome concept. I live and die by it. You guys saw me play SA2:B, I use it every chance I get. However, the fact remains that Homing Attack was introduced because Sonic in 3D would be horrible without it. Imagine jumping on an enemy being the only way to kill it. Works fine in Mario (even though in Galaxy you'll notice they added the much less precise Spin Attack/Jump), but in a Sonic game where you're supposed to be moving fast, it would completely break the action. In order to reliably kill the enemy, you'd have to stop moving, then jump directly on the character, making sure not to land next to it. Homing attack may be sweet, but there's no denying it was implemented to address a problem. The fact that they're putting it in when 2D Sonic games just... don't need it... means that they're putting stuff in because it's cool, not because it makes for good gameplay. And that is very, very concerning. Look at Brawl. Why in the pancake-flipping Savior is 75m in that game? It's virtually impossible to play Smash on that level. But, it's there because Sakurai thought it would be cool. And it IS cool.. until you realize that you'd rather stab your eye out than try to play on that level again. Then you've just got wasted potential.

4th.] While I do agree that everyone who likes the Sonic name has worries that the game won't be good. If it IS good. I highly doubt it will be by accident...
You can't make a sequel without realizing what made the original game good in the first place. I haven't seen a single thing that suggests Sonic Team's figured it out yet, outside of Project Needlemouse, and even that was so mired in publicity and pageantry to where I think that they think they've got it figured out, but they're so tragically off that I'm going to get a terrible excuse for a Sonic 4. Maybe it'll be a decent game, but it won't be a good "Sonic game".

*sigh*
People throw that around so much now that it's become a bit of a myth.

...Oh god, that was long. I should write an essay and stop posting on forums. <_<;

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
We'll talk about this more at the next tourney. I'm tired of typing on my Brothers retardedly small laptop..

But Video games is just opinion and not a universal judgement call. BTW think about the way we play smash as a tournament scene and the way CASUAL players play, to them, 75 meters is fine. Think, Genesis was not gonna be around forever so I'm glad they updated the graphics.

The original Sonic games are just as simple as Sonic Rush and if you Spin dash, going thru levels is pretty easy lol Hey, I say this IS a step in the right direction and thats why they are taking their time with this game. I think they know the past games have sucked and the originals were good -- Look at the 3D sales....HORRIBLE, I mean truly it's to laugh at!!!

I'm gonna support this until it comes out, then when I get it for free, I'll pass judgement then lol

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The only reason I'm not going is because I think this is mostly Melee. I don,t go where I don't have a number of people going, I don't want to lose too much money =.= I'm from Canada and it's expensive going down there. and suck it ETtwist, go to some tourney I go LOL like apex 2. ;D
I'LL BE THERE

caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom