• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Ness

Jtails

Smash Lord
he does really well in teams. Dmt and I have gotten really far multiple top 5/ top8 with Zelda/Ness
with healing from dins fire, and magnet canceling can really surprise your opponents.

another good one is Zelda's Dtilt and on the other side, psi magnet which keeps pushing the opponent into the Dtilt. so he can be a really good tank/dps if you have a good healer on the team.

as for singles, he can be devastating to those who don't know the match up. Though for those that do, it becomes a battle of the minds as well as yomi.

He's helped me place high in low tier and teams, in regular singles i usually have to use others. Going "all Ness" is tough

you guys pretty much covered everything else about him. I just feel he's an underplayed character in tourneys and has so much potential.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I give Ness a doesn't matter/10. Horrible character. Really gimpable, and he's a two-trick pony. Once you learn how to deal with his f-air and avoid getting grabbed at high percents (which is easy since he has no grab range and it's predictable when he wants to kill you with it), he is done for.
After watching FOW two stock Inui in crews last week, this quote is incredibly amusing right now.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Yeah and we're all still waiting for videos of that Praxis ><

We've all found that quote incredibly amusing since last weekend.

_clinton

Smash Master
You were looking at entrants (which is a-z of course) look at results...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The increased it's range by twice the amount, gave it super armor so it can be used to counter up-bs, comes out 3 frames faster and it pushes people farther away.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The increased it's range by twice the amount, gave it super armor so it can be used to counter up-bs, comes out 3 frames faster and it pushes people farther away.
That, good sir, is amazing.

If PSI Magnet was like this in vanilla Brawl I would get punished less often. :ohwell: Although now that I think of it, it's kind of funny that Ness has not only an absorber and reflector, but also a Counter in Brawl+.

Don't get hit? :ness:

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
In a way, yes.

If anyone here is thinking about trying ness in brawl+, please do so. He's awesome, and you'll love him forever. :D

V

Smash Ace
I think Ness is perfectly legit in regular brawl. I play a good ness player all the time and it can be a very annoying fight at times. I think the only reason he's as low as he is on the tier is that he isn't represented much at tourneys

Levitas

the moon
ness has a couple of really big problems that certainly don't help, and his representation is a result of that (not the other way around)

smash64

Smash Champion
of you time some of ness's airial moves when he is about to hit the ground his moves cancel and makes him a little quicker i really like that

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
The only problems I have with Ness are grab issues, both grab-releases and the fact he gets chaingrabbed by pretty much all of the notorious chain grabbers.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
The only problems I have with Ness are grab issues, both grab-releases and the fact he gets chaingrabbed by pretty much all of the notorious chain grabbers.
Chaingrabbing is definately a problem. King Dedede is really annoying to face if he can chaingrab well. It's like, grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Fthrow... like, 30% or something stupid like that... Marth's chaingrab thing, on the other hand, really isn't a big deal once you can deal with it. Just spin both the analog and c-stick around as fast as possible and mash L and R and you'll air break in like 2 grabs

_clinton

Smash Master
Chaingrabbing is definately a problem. King Dedede is really annoying to face if he can chaingrab well. It's like, grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Dthrow grab Fthrow... like, 30% or something stupid like that... Marth's chaingrab thing, on the other hand, really isn't a big deal once you can deal with it. Just spin both the analog and c-stick around as fast as possible and mash L and R and you'll air break in like 2 grabs
That is pretty much the same with the rest of the characters that can do it...although...some of them do have air breaks...

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Snake? Falco? Toon link? Lucario? Lucas? ... Link?

Those are the ones I can think of that have the first two, and they all have fairly good approaches.

Ness has the power of the yoyo... Which I am safe in saying nobody has fully mastered the yoyo yet... I'm on my way to doing that, but it involves stage spiking every time someone grabs on the ledge

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
My yoyo game is pretty good, you don't even know. It's all about the yoyo mindgames, which I am good at.

Ness' jab isn't actually good at all, the third jab hit can be powershielded and Ness can't put jab canceling to any use. Ness' projectiles (pkt and pkf) are situational and leave Ness pretty vulnerable if they miss, many characters have better projectiles which beat Ness'.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Ness is such an obscure character, most people don't even know about the powershield. Also, Ness has a good jab cancel IMO. Jab jab dtilt, jab jab grab, jab jab utilt...

I should've said versitile projectiles. They certainly aren't the best projectiles, but PKT is pretty good. PKF is situational but good when used correctly. PK Edgeguard!

Top Bottom