• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Ness

_clinton

Smash Master
I don't think Ike will forever be better than Ness. To me, Ike's playstyle just seems way too shallow and easy to read. Yeah, his attacks are incredibly strong, but extremely easy to see coming and punishable.
I will compliment him on his massive range though. However, he's way too slow for any smart player to be consistently hit by.

And aside from that, I believe that Ike's recovery is no better than Ness'.
Please...Ness' recovery is by far better...

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Edreeses, what is your title supposed to mean?
Not Moderator, the onamotapoea.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
But since there is almost no hitstun in Brawl, that probably wouldn't be effective. Plus, the way Ness is no makes recovering a lot more easier than it was in the previous games.
some people who do the DJC a lot in the other games looked pretty pro doing it. why wouldn't you want to look pro?

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
Ness' aerials don't really need a DJC; his aerials wouldn't really benefit from it anymore, and Ness needs the extra rising move to defend his double jump. He's fine off SH'ing his moves.

Uffe

Smash Hero
some people who do the DJC a lot in the other games looked pretty pro doing it. why wouldn't you want to look pro?
It's not about looking pro. The fact Brawl has virtually no hitstun, there'd be no reason for a DJC and it probably wouldn't be as effective in Brawl like it was in the previous games.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
The only thing i found about DJC, was that spiking someone seemed easier. But otherwise Ness is alot better off without it.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I never seem to need it. Spiking is easy enough for me... Anyway I can't really play Ness that well in the other games because I started using Ness in Brawl and I always djc to my death when trying to protect my recovery.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I never seem to need it. Spiking is easy enough for me... Anyway I can't really play Ness that well in the other games because I started using Ness in Brawl and I always djc to my death when trying to protect my recovery.
lolol i feel you pain xD. you can get used to it though :3

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Ness' recovery is about twice as bad in the older games anyway, though. DJC is pretty suicidal when you're off the edge (presumably you are when you spike).

Uffe

Smash Hero
In smash 64 it wasn't that bad because it had pretty godly range on it.(PKT2 that is)
Yeah, the first one probably had the furthest range. In Melee it didn't go too far and in Brawl it's somewhere in between.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Well his Dair was his main move IIRC, and it could be teched. I'm guessing that's the main reason he wasn't alongside Pikachu and Kirby in the true god tier...

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
It's funny... I use Pikachu in 64, because fair is so similar to Brawl Ness's fair, and the bair is pretty similar too in use.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Sucks for that Kirby because he's playing Isai.

Anyone Isai plays is god tier. He is incredible at guessing techrolls (negating the techability of the dair) and quick attack destinations, and other things that require quick decisions rather than automatic reactions.

_clinton

Smash Master
Sucks for that Kirby because he's playing Isai.

Anyone Isai plays is god tier. He is incredible at guessing techrolls (negating the techability of the dair) and quick attack destinations, and other things that require quick decisions rather than automatic reactions.
Tell it like it is brother

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Maybe he's taking his time off in fourside before going to fight dinosaurs and find the last your sanctuary location. Well I think he needs to stop fooling around, get the magicant bat, and beat his nightmare to level up a ton. Then he'd be 10x better than MK.

His bat was possibly the most nerfed though. Maybe he's using the casey bat... Really rare to hit with, but so worth it. I didn't play him until melée, but he looks epic as ****. Melée he sucked. 64 he was epic. Brawl... he could be a ton better if some of his attacks were just a little faster, but he's good enough to not really need the slight speed boost.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hi...

I'm just wondering why no one responded to this post... in another thread...
Umm... but.... I really would like to see people use the PK Fire thing. Can anyone upload a replay?
what pk fire thingy :3

Hi, so, third attempt to share this find with you, that gives a new momentum accelerating option to Ness in the form of a different PK Jump; as I said, I have several replays, that I can send to anyone who asks, and the thread can be found with me as the most recent respondent, by following a quote link in the post linked by the first quote of this post. And I can explain how to do it.

*~*~*~
Eagleye, if you're going to put an accent in "melée," put a circonflex over the first e too. Then you'll be correct with respect to some standard.
But either way you'd be misspelling the name of the thing you're talking about.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Hi, so, third attempt to share this find with you, that gives a new momentum accelerating option to Ness in the form of a different PK Jump; as I said, I have several replays, that I can send to anyone who asks, and the thread can be found with me as the most recent respondent, by following a quote link in the post linked by the first quote of this post. And I can explain how to do it.

*~*~*~
Eagleye, if you're going to put an accent in "melée," put a circonflex over the first e too. Then you'll be correct with respect to some standard.
But either way you'd be misspelling the name of the thing you're talking about.
Could you possibly post a link to the topic so that we can see this thing and evaluate the discovered technique to see if it's useful?

Also, it's my phone that keeps auto-accenting the e in melée. When I go to spell a word it corrects it. I don't really care how it's spelled, but apparently my phone does in the wrong way.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
I often see Ness and Lucas get compared to one another. Though move-for-move, Lucas is better, for some reason I think Ness is the better of the two... it's like the way I see 'dorf and Falcon: Ganondorf has better moves, but Falcon just seems... better.

Anyway, onto Ness...

I think he's a great killer, personally, with the most reliable KOing throw in the game, powerful aireals, and a monster of a spike. Also, it's surprisingly easy to get caught in PKT2 if you don't know what you're doing.

The problem with Ness is that his attacks are either awesome or terrible. All of his smashes are bad (dsmash is an okay surprise move but the damage is poop), his utilt is good but I don't think his others are useful (dtilt seems like it could have some cool setups if it trips, but the range is terrible) and his B moves aren't very good either.

PK Flash is even worse than in Melee, PK fire is super laggy (but with big rewards if you land it) and though his PSI magnet can force some approaches it's not very useful. PK Thunder is useful and Ness' PKT2 is awesome but Lucas' is better, I think.

Great throws all-around, though, and all of his air moves are awesome. Fair beats shields and seems to chain into itself. Double-jumping while doing air moves is a great way to make them land. Speaking of which, I find bair super easy to land (compared to The Knee at least :p) and it has a really nice kick (get it?).

Eeee... Ness is not so bad. He could climb to mid tier, maybe, but for now him and Lucas are at the top of low in my book.

I agrre with you on the first note. I feel more like it's a Melee throw back..when at the begining everyone thought that Roy was better then Marth..with his combo-ing Up-B and flashy fire moves..I was always one to stick to Marth because i just thought he was cooler.

I see the same feel with Lucas and Ness. Although Lucas has incredibly powerful moves; Nair, FSmash, UpSmash, DSmash, UAir, etc..I believe they can not always play well into eachother's like Ness's can. Sure he doesn't have so much PSI bursting out of him and some of his move's may not look as cool. But if you enjoy playing with a character, you enjoy playing with a character.

I play Ness as a secondary, and I don't get as tossed around as people would think. Sure I don't make it to the final's but I don't do too bad for someone who play's with Ness. I believe alot of Ness's game does rely on his air game, his Fair, because it just has so much range and can sometime's push back and go through certain shields. It is true, his PK THND can easily be gimped, like even having the enemy run into it, they earn 8% damage, with barely any knockback, but give you a fall to your doom kill. But, the problem with his PK THND is that people are so used to setting it on the projected path, like falling till your horrizontal with the edge, then just shooting your self at it, that get's you easily edge hogged. IDK, i believe they made the PK THND able to move around for a reason. And you can't say it's weak, killing heavy weight character's at mid percentage's if connected into PK THND 2. His bair, even though it may be predictable, it never seems to stop getting people, and you could easily sweet-spot it. His Spike works well with his distinct mid-air jump. It has unique setups if you try. And I just love using his Uair, sometimes to watch his head grow enormous, or to kill people because of its somewhat high priority.

I love his back throw, and down through.

PK fire is alright...hard to hit, but when you do, give's you a set up for combo's of up to 50%

ahhhhh i don't want to forcus on the bad part because we all know it.

I do understand all of the negative's though, that can give lucas the upperhand in who's better(PSI MAGNET). But it's not so much about that. I believe Ness is more of the kind of character that you could try to work hard with and it'll show in your results. I believe his game is some-what pressure and a little bit of cunning on the player's part to control.

tambien

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
okay... everyone seems to hate on psi magnet wind for ness... It helps a lot with most characters, but people like ike or marth or.... not very many other people can out range the push or even be helped by it. the psi magnet wind can throw off quite a few people, and if a ness knows what they are doing when absorbing with psi magnet, they shouldn't ever get hit by the enemy.

How are all of ness' smashes terrible? the yoyos are maybe one of the better ones in the game considering their charging hitbox... okay, maybe it doesn't do a ton of damage and is slightly predictable (not very predictable at all when playing someone who knows how to use it well), but damage adds up. for a ness who can pull off the yoyo at the right times, they can easily rack up a ton of damage on their opponent. and who else's fsmash can reflect back attacks? Lucas' may be faster, but most projectiles that you would even think worth reflecting are slow enough for even ness' bat to be taken out; if not, just psi magnet or shield... you don't need to hit the attack back every time. and i can hit back some of a toon link/link's arrows easily! i've gotten more used to ness' ground game than i have his aerial game, which is really weird being a ness main (i do shuffled aerial combos, but i never really use my double jump unless i need to, which is very rare).

PK MINDGAMES!!! if you can't hit with pkfire often, there's something wrong. you can use the vicegrip combo (pkfire>dash up to your opponent>pkfire>...), pk jump, and tons of other wierd tricks involving ness' pkfire. even hit their attacks just to get the wall out there. some things may cancel pkfire and the wall of fire that comes out after the initial hit, but there aren't very many at all.

PS: i'm not sure we called it the vicegrip combo, but it's easy to say.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
He didn't say anything explicitly funny. What he said is made funny by the fact that he got dumped on by a Ness in crews at Genesis, and that Ness is B Class in the tournament rankings right now; above G&W and TL (okay even I think that's too high XD).

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
FOW ***** at genesis and Ally beat M2K again. Mango winning Melee wasn't a big surprise, but the top 13 was incredibly diverse for Melee. Epic tournament.

Top Bottom