• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly character Discussion: Ike

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
It depends on which character you're fighting

If you use Up + B against Peach, you will get destroyed

This is an incredibly silly idea but does anyone ever purposely got in the way of Ike when he's recovering with his Side B to soak up the hit and let him plummet to his doom? I accidently do it from time to time...I can't imagine it being a very practical idea since Ike could just release his Side B before you
I can't tell whether you're trying to be funny, or if this is just incredibly sad.

M@v

Subarashii!
It depends on which character you're fighting

If you use Up + B against Peach, you will get destroyed

This is an incredibly silly idea but does anyone ever purposely got in the way of Ike when he's recovering with his Side B to soak up the hit and let him plummet to his doom? I accidently do it from time to time...I can't imagine it being a very practical idea since Ike could just release his Side B before you
Ive done it before. It all depended on the situation.

Mith_

Smash Champion
We like Ike.

I must admit I always underestimate Ike and try to gimp his Up+B and always end up getting owned.
Over+B is a joke to gimp though :p.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Aether is way harder to gimp than QD.

I have a video of Ike going through a Warlock Punch while recovering... twice.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
The analysis was pretty much spot on, though pretty much every character would like to counterpick eventually.

Except, of course,

:metaknight: and to a lesser degree :marth:

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I think the point was, that Ike is more prone than average to having to counterpick.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
An Ike who is godly at spacing with his sword can be quite a pain, while Ike users who suck at spacing are easy as hell to defeat.

XACE-K

Smash Master
An Ike who is godly at spacing with his sword can be quite a pain, while Ike users who suck at spacing are easy as hell to defeat.
True. That's what most (good) Ikes do anyways. The only time we'll ever go in close to the opponent is to jab/jab cancel/ whatever.

Now it's time for me to read this thread.

Edit: Nice to know that the SBR knows what they're talking about concerning Ike.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I can't tell whether you're trying to be funny, or if this is just incredibly sad.
Neither. I was curious if anyone has done it before

If you get hit by his Side B, it stops him in his tracks, thus preventing his recovery. It's an incredibly daft idea but it does happen from time to time. I've gimped an Ike before because he just grazed me with his Side B whilst I was Floating near him in an attempt to KO him, causing him to plummet to his doom

XACE-K

Smash Master
If used with great timing, Ike can beat Meta Knight. You know he can.
Great timing helps but playing smart will also help Ike. But a good MK will always beat an Ike and vice versa.

Edit @ Rickerdy: That's why Ike's don't QD to recover. We've been using only Aether since April.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Incoming wall of text.

He's manly.
Yes. :laugh:

He fights for his friends.

I've discovered that Ike is ridiculously fun. And his Fair is soooo awesome.

Agreed. I vote for Ike in Brawl+.
I wouldn't know. :(

It must feel nice to fsmash a Meta Knight with Ike.

Like, really nice.
Yes it does. :rotfl:

this thread needs more charge fsmash.
This thread needs more Gimpy Boozer FSmash.

ike is the best in teams because he fights for his friends

IT'S SO OBVIOUS.
What he said.

Ike and Zelda would have ridiculously good looking kids

amirite?
Hell to the no.

Glad to see that me maining two different people is justified with Ike being the better CP guy.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Lolol

Ike is another one of those characters where people assume 'Oh he's slow and heavy so he must be ****' characters to begin with - you can't fully appreciate him until you actually fight a good one. Dam I hate his jab. And his Fair. That thing is far too long for it's own good. Ike's D Tilt spike is one of those moves where you /facepalm yourself if you get spiked to a painful death, thinking 'How the hell did I manage to get hit by that!?!'

Shame is recovery sucks

Toad >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ike's recovery
Unfortunately this seems true for quite a large number of people (in my experience). Yes generally speaking he is slow, but his weight can be a positive at times. Its possible to get by the Toad recovery with some consistency, but its hard to prove over Wifi:( It really comes down to timing, though.

As for Ike's play concerning recovering, you need to play smart. Yes this is obvious for everyone, but more crucial in Ike's case due to his lack of quality recovery options. He is going to have to be dominant on stage(generally speaking) so by the time he loses a stock through gimp/knocked into dead zone/etc... enough damage has been done to give him a fighting chance. Does he have the tools to be dominant? Yes, but depend too much on reading and prediction to be successful. In my opinion at least:p

XACE-K

Smash Master
Unfortunately this seems true for quite a large number of people (in my experience). Yes generally speaking he is slow, but his weight can be a positive at times. Its possible to get by the Toad recovery with some consistency, but its hard to prove over Wifi:( It really comes down to timing, though.
Agreed.

As for Ike's play concerning recovering, you need to play smart. Yes this is obvious for everyone, but more crucial in Ike's case due to his lack of quality recovery options. He is going to have to be dominant on stage(generally speaking) so by the time he loses a stock through gimp/knocked into dead zone/etc... enough damage has been done to give him a fighting chance. Does he have the tools to be dominant? Yes, but depend too much on reading and prediction to be successful. In my opinion at least:p
To absolutely dominate, you should play smart no matter what character you are. For Ike, you should always do this against his worst match-ups. Reading and predicting your opponent will help you in beating them.

Touche
THE MODS SHOULD JUST CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS THREAD TO THE IKE SPAM THREAD
(Roy boards reference)
You do realize you are spamming?

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Ike is easy to play and not be put to shame. But, I dunno if it is easy to beat a player of equal skill level who is using a different character. Like Wolf and Link do really well versus Ike, and me and my brother shut down my friends who use Ike. Ike is so epic in teams, I love spiking 2 people with his spike.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Ike is easy to play and not be put to shame. But, I dunno if it is easy to beat a player of equal skill level who is using a different character. Like Wolf and Link do really well versus Ike, and me and my brother shut down my friends who use Ike. Ike is so epic in teams, I love spiking 2 people with his spike.
Wolf and Link don't do really well vs Ike. They have the advantage but they don't own him as hard as Oli, Falco or D3. It could be that your friends who play don't do well against Wolf and Link, you know the match-up well or other factors.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Wolf and Link don't do really well vs Ike. They have the advantage but they don't own him as hard as Oli, Falco or D3. It could be that your friends who play don't do well against Wolf and Link, you know the match-up well or other factors.
Well, the Link boards actually said Link was evenish, to be honest.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Agreed.

To absolutely dominate, you should play smart no matter what character you are. For Ike, you should always do this against his worst match-ups. Reading and predicting your opponent will help you in beating them.

You do realize you are spamming?
I concur Xace, you should be playing smart period. I guess what I was getting at is this is Ike and he can't afford to make mistakes or take risks like a Meta Knight could, for example. But in turn your opponent can't afford to make mistakes or take too many risks as well, thus you have a high-risk/high-reward factor integrated into the character.

I believe this is essentially what people find enjoyable about Ike. Your reward for reading/predicting/etc... your opponent is a blatant, obvious, thunderous Fsmash(but it doesn't have to be) for an instant minus 1 stock. Thats not even including that fact that because of his tier status(for those that care) you get bragging rights(think the typical 'I beat you with a character thats not even good' type reasoning).

Of course how each person enjoys a character and for what reason are definitely subjective. Personally I knew I would be playing as him because I enjoyed his games.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I think he did that on purpose to show that you can't express it in the English language. Unless a ******** doosh he reely iz.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well, the Link boards actually said Link was evenish, to be honest.
I thought they had a slight adavantage like 55-45. :ohwell:

I concur Xace, you should be playing smart period. I guess what I was getting at is this is Ike and he can't afford to make mistakes or take risks like a Meta Knight could, for example. But in turn your opponent can't afford to make mistakes or take too many risks as well, thus you have a high-risk/high-reward factor integrated into the character.
True

I believe this is essentially what people find enjoyable about Ike. Your reward for reading/predicting/etc... your opponent is a blatant, obvious, thunderous Fsmash(but it doesn't have to be) for an instant minus 1 stock. Thats not even including that fact that because of his tier status(for those that care) you get bragging rights(think the typical 'I beat you with a character thats not even good' type reasoning).
Also true. Owning somebody with Ike always makes me laugh.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Watching someone getting owned by an Ike either makes me laugh or cry at their stupidity.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Man I played with Ike today and he is friggin amazing.
That sword...just so...amazing.
Mario owns him though =[

Top Bottom