• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm still stunned from it all.

Hiroshi Yamauchi was the last President Nintendo had before Iwata. The man who brought up the idea of Video Games to Nintendo and helped turn it into a gaming company.

Eventually, Yamauchi stepped down, and Iwata had taken his place. Yamauchi felt he had left the company in good hands. And he was absolutely correct. Iwata was a major help in bringing Nintendo down the road that led them to where they are today.

Iwata will be missed. By all of us.

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
The story never really ends,
And life remains if we pretend
The epilogue's another verse
In the endless tale we all rehearse.

Rest in peace, Iwata-sensei. You will be missed.
Hey that's a cool saying where did you hear that? Man I hate that this happend I'm still kinda new to the Nintendo scene but I miss him already!!

Lord_Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fogottenknight
3DS FC
2509-2089-2582
Though I have never met him it feels as if I have lost a friend. The games he helped create made up some of my fondest memories. He was always the best part of the Nintendo directs and I don't think I'll be able to watch one without him. I can't believe that he's gone now. Thank you for all the great memories over the years, we will all miss you. Rest in peace Iwata.

D

Deleted member

Very sad and very unexpected. Iwata will not be forgotten as the great man he was!

SF_Alba

Smash Rookie
NNID
SF_Alba
3DS FC
0318-8552-8933
Every man dies; not every man really lives.
This man really lived.
Rest in peace, Iwata, you definitely earned my respect through the years.

T0MMY

Smash Master
As one of many people he has helped bring fun and happiness to, I will miss his influence in gaming and the world at large. He seemed like such an honestly good-hearted individual; it is no wonder he made it all the way to head of Nintendo where he played a huge role in putting the company at #1.

slambros

Smash Ace
I'm speechless.

R.I.P Satoru Iwata. I'll miss you.

That's all I can say. Beyond that, I'm speechless.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
I never knew how much I loved the guy. Thanks, Mr. Iwata, and have a DIRECT ascension to heaven!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Today we as Nintendo fans have lost a great man. An honorable man. A man who took paycuts before laying people off. A man who pushed innovation and helped shape gaming into what it is today by unblinkingly taking risks that baffled others in the industry. A man who pressed on in the face of harsh criticism and kept his humor all the while. A man whose name was in the credits of thousands of games that we all have come to love. A CEO who still valued the fans and want to "Directly" share his enthusiasm with them. A man who had a subtle but profound presence. A man who, even in a suit, never strayed far from the concept of fun. He understood the essence of video games and celebrated it along with us. Today, we lost a fellow gamer, we lost a leader, we lost a role model, and we lost a incredible human being. He will be greatly missed but, as Nintendo fans, we have to remember the values he taught. Fun ultimately boils down to happiness and that is what he "Directly" shared with us over the years. For that, we should be honored to have known him and continue to play and create in our own lives because what good is happiness if it can't be shared? For that simple, yet profound message, thank you Mr. Iwata and thank you for making gaming what it is today.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Respect to the late Grandfather of Gaming. He put nothing but effort into his work. It's because of him that this site even exists.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
My heart dropped heart at the mere mentioning of this horrific new. I'm literally bawling in tears right now.

**** CANCER!

Stay strong Nintendo... :cry:

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
This is really sad news. Without Mr. Iwata's work this forum wouldn't exist. As someone who has lost family members early I'm sending my sympathies to his family, friends and co-workers.

Thank you, Iwata.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No words can express how I feel right now. I'm literally trying to hold back tears here. Have been since I heard the news an hour ago. I haven't been this upset over something in good while.

He truly was a great man. Honourable, steadfast, honest, determined, dedicated, caring, loyal...I don't think any amount of positive adjectives could do him justice. If I had to say one thing, he makes me think of a modern samurai, in terms of what he represents to me.

Some may feel that this is not too big a deal and that I am being melodramatic, and to those I say - this man wasn't just the black suited president of any old company. He was the president of Nintendo. A company that has shaped many of our lives, and he had a...direct hand in the creation of some of these franchises. Not only that, but the way he spoke to us in Nintendo Directs, how willing he was to put himself up to the goofiest skits, taking time out of his main work all for our amusement...he was really like a lovable uncle to us all. This was a man who, I feel, didn't put anything first. It's safe to say that, I would not be who I am today if it were not for Iwata, and he has always been one of the factors that drew me to Nintendo over other game companies as of late. Iwata, along with the rest of Nintendo, know how to make you feel like part of a family.

It says a lot when, since my friend and I heard this news while playing some online Smash Wii U, the first thing we thought to do was have a 1v1 match of Kirby (my friend) VS Ness (myself) on Omega Onett - two characters he had some direct involvement in the creation of, and of their games.

And of course, let us not forget that Smash itself may not have ever existed and been green-lit if not for the assistance and support Iwata extended to Sakurai. The memory of that fact convinced me to suddenly have one last match against my friend for the night - I wanted to play as Iwata himself on Omega Palutena's Temple. I actually uploaded the replay onto the replay servers for anyone who wants to watch it. It may not be a spectacular match to watch, but for me, it was incredibly emotional, as I almost broke down crying, and was finding it difficult to play, but I still desperately wanted to win that match for Iwata. I named the replay "R.I.P Iwata-sama" for those who want to see it. Try wittling down the search to "Ireland" for the country.

Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata - and SMASH your way into the Heavens!!!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Rest well, Iwata. You did so much for Nintendo, and the fans.

You really established a legacy people will remember forever.

Minaline

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DS FC
2063-0548-7428

-You will be missed-

Last edited:

ATL4S

Smash Rookie

Satoru Iwata has passed away. An official statement from Nintendo attributes his death to a bile duct growth. A great legend in the world of gaming has left us today. This great shock marks a sad day in Nintendo history as they lose an employee of over 30 years. His creative brilliance and kind heart will be solely missed, and Nintendo Directs will never be the same. Our hearts and well wishes go to his family. We will post updates as we have them.

From Masahiro Sakurai:

“The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.”
He 4 stocked life then life 4 stocked him

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Satoru Iwata
CEO of Nintendo Inc.
~1950s-2015
A lover, a creator, a god and an understander.
And most certainly a Super Nintendo Brother.
May he forever rest in peace, and let us hope that his successor fits his shoes well.
~SmashRiver64~​

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
He left with Mario Maker, so that we can create our own games and make our own dreams come true, like he did.
R.I.P Satoru Iwata

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I honestly can't think of a more tragically-timed point to reach 1,000 posts. But as long as I reach that magic number, I should at least have it mean something.

Iwata was really almost like a jovial uncle to us; someone we laughed with and enjoyed being around. We loved Iwata as a member of this great big Nintendo family, and honestly I can't say I don't find it sadly fitting that Iwata's final game was to let the world finally create their own Mario levels and share them with everyone with a game.

May Iwata forever battle Gunpei Yokoi in Mario Kart, and I doubt we'll ever forget the man.
;-;

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I did not expect this. I did not expect this at all. I'd like to give my condolences to his family. Iwata was pretty influential to my life as a gamer. And he put his heart and soul into his job. On the bright side, I believe he is in a better place. At least he doesn't have to be in pain anymore.

He will not be forgotten, as long as we remember the good things he has done for the company. He went out doing what he loved, and I gotta respect that. :)

Last edited:

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
The Nintendo Directs will no longer be direct... Rest In Peace Iwata :cry::crying:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's such a tragedy to lose one of the most beloved contributors to the world of gaming. Satoru Iwata, thank you so much for being a great part of my childhood, Without the works of him, I probably wouldn't have the same desire to enter the video game development as I do to this day. Mr. Iwata, Rest in Peace. We love you so much.:cry::crying:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To all the people making tasteless comments (like one or two people here) - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

To everyone else: I, too, cannot believe he's gone, at only 55, no less. I'm actually crying thinking about the Directs now. I would have loved to meet him, but now...:crying:

His legacy of hard work and excellence will be remembered, and hopefully his shoes will be filled by someone who can continue that legacy.

Until then...see you on the other side, you wonderful human being. :crying:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
This is very shocking, very upsetting news. Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. And thank you so much for all you've done.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Christopher Lee, Leonard Nimoy, Satoru Iwata, and Chikao Ohtsuka are all gone. We've lost 3 amazing actors and 4 influential figures of media. Be they films, animations, or games, they were there to shape them.

It might be last time you'll see them act, the last time you'll hear them, or the last game you'll play with them in it, but they'll be there forever. They'll be in memories, they'll leave legacies, and they were there to help create films, cartoons, TV series, anime, games, opera, theater, and more. They'll always be there with us.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
He didn't deserve this, going at such a low point in his company and in such a bad way. Poor guy.

Top Bottom