• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
We had just seen him, and he looked so happy... I wouldn't have guessed he was in such poor condition.

Rest in peace Iwata. You were a big part of my childhood that I won't soon forget. Thank you so much.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Also, wondering, who's going to take his place? It's a tough mantle to take up, though...

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
This is all too hard to believe. The news came so suddenly. Rest in peace, Iwata.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Truly a great man that has made Nintendo into one of the most influential companies of all time.

He will truly be missed by friends, family, and fans alike.

D

Deleted member

Wow.. I have no words for this. May he rest in peace and live on the heavens.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
R.I.P. Sartoru Iwata
You may have left but you will live on forever in the hearts of many . . .

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
It's so unbelievable he's gone at a young age, and we all didn't know he was sick at all.. it's such a huge loss for gaming because of the impact he made. He's been Nintendo's president for almost my entire life and I can't believe he's gone. Though I never grew up with Nintendo, I'll always recognize how much he's done for video games.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Unreal news..
I refreshed the homepage, and when I saw the headline, felt really heavy on my chest. I loved your quirky personality during the Directs and you proved to be an impact in Nintendo history. You'll be missed, Iwata-san. Rest in peace.

D

Deleted member

Namida Ga Afureta - Overflowing with Tears

Last edited by a moderator:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Noooooo! We refuse to understand that you have passed away Iwata! :(

Seriously though, it's common fact that Smash Bros is Sakurai's brainchild, but if Iwata hadn't allowed him to work on the original game on N64 on weekends back when Sakurai worked for Hal Laboratory, none of us would be here today playing and talking about smash bros.

R.I.P Iwata

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I am... shocked... oh my God, I did not expect those news. We will miss you, Iwata. I don't care about what people said: every console made on his era (of the "Blue Ocean") has a big legacy that shall not be forgotten. Iwata was, surely, a good person. I can see he liked his work. RIP

Last edited:

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
This GOAT of a programmer made some of my favorite games possible, almost single handedly.

You will be missed dearly, RIP.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm shocked, Iwata, your were an amazing man. Gaming will never bee the same. thanks for everything you've done and may you rest in peace.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Alongside Iwata a big part of Nintendo and gaming died too, damn it's so hard to believe this just happened all of sudden.

Some of my best memories, and no doubt a lot of others's, were given to me by this man and now he's just gone like that.

Rest in peace, Mr.Iwata, you definitely deserve it.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Thank you for all the hard work and for the fun memories Mr. Iwata

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
You know what's sad?
Those greedy investors wanted him fired and now that he's dead, they're probably celebrating.
Sad, but possibly true.
He earned my respect through the DS, Smash, and helping create the Fighter Ballot.
R.I.P, Iwata.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
And this wonderful work (from one of your works) in remembrance of all that you've accomplished. Gamers around the world will miss you, your personality, and your dedication to both your games and your fans alike. Thank you for all of the memories and you've no idea how many people you have inspired through your passion for making quality games.

RIP Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

Deidara

Banned via Warnings
He was probably my favorite guy from Nintendo, he worked on so many great games. rest in peace. =(

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
One of the main reasons i am the gamer/person that i am today. Rest in Peace, Iwata. U will forever be missed :(

May he go Directly to heaven :cry:

Last edited:

Abaasy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Abaasy
This really is heartbreaking. I don't think any person in the world could replace him and all of the achievements that he has done. You will be missed, Rest In Peace Iwata. ;-;7

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I'm in disbelief. I wasn't expected to see something like this anytime soon...
Rest in peace, Iwata-san. You will be missed.

Top Bottom