• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santi spills all of his knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
is ther e a vid on youtube explaining jab canceling? or can someone explin that too me real quick?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Jab cancelling sucks with TL. But if u really want to know, it basically is a jab pause for a sec then use the move u want.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
o that. I thought is was somewthing else. Cuz I was practicing with squirtle the other day and found if you jab right as you hit the ground, it eliminates most of the lag, especially for nair. I though it might work for TL.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Jab canceling is ok for Toon Link
He just doesn't have too much to do from it
like older Link

There are 2 ways to jab cancel
The way TLM says or Jab 2 times>crouch>w/e move
Really only things I think comeout fast enough to be useful is dsmash, frist hit of fsmash, usmash, dtilt, or utilt.

Santi

Smash Lord
Yea, I would tke time to lern shda.
I still mess up sometimes.
shda can really mess with some charcters.

Try pulling backwards instead of staying in place when you nair or fair.. that may give you some extra time do shoot an arrow even though I think it still may be the same.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hey Santi, how often do you projectile glide in the air. I know for a fact and have seen it in vids that when you jump and fire an arrow or throw your boomeraang you can sometime glide forward a short distance into the air.

>.> I really have no idea how to master it, not that I really want to unless you think it's really usefull. To be honest I really dont know how to do that. All I know is, that it happens to me occasionally when I use my boomeraang and rarely when I use my bow (only cuz I use my rang more...only 2nd to bombs lol)

Santi

Smash Lord
I can do it on command off the ledge with my boomerrang =)
So I like doing it everytime I run off the ledge hehe :D

KBM

Smash Ace
Yay Santis not quitting
:D
Now I still need to practice SHDA
XD

Do I really need this Santi?
I use bow cancels but just not SHDA
another question
Can you really bow cancel after fair and nair?
Could you gimme some advice about it?
Everyone else that knows I want your advice too.
Including Sasuke
Which he probally wont
>.>
Someone told you to practice the timing of the arrow cancel relative to the animation of the move you're doing, but I would STRONGLY suggest you practice the timing relative to your distance from the ground. If you train your mind to see the moment when you're the proper distance from the ground, you'll be able to do it out of just about any situation. This also helps with the SHDA, because instead of memorizing timings, you'll actually know when you need to shoot the arrow.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Someone told you to practice the timing of the arrow cancel relative to the animation of the move you're doing, but I would STRONGLY suggest you practice the timing relative to your distance from the ground. If you train your mind to see the moment when you're the proper distance from the ground, you'll be able to do it out of just about any situation. This also helps with the SHDA, because instead of memorizing timings, you'll actually know when you need to shoot the arrow.
True. I didn't see it that way. I thought of it as 'as soon as you can after the attack'.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
.... I have to wonjder who is better: Santi or Hyrulian Royalty. The guys here in LA have already started to praise him for his skill and it was their first time playing him. He did get 4th after all. I know I probably couldnt win in a ditto against him. After all my first tourny was a failure and well I probably dont have the skill still even though I have gotten better. I'm hoping this next tourny will be better. I'll try to keep my match ups close to the vest with PT and TL, who knows, maybe I have gotten better. but then again LA smash crew too good.

cuz really, who need MK when we got Lee.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Oi, Santi, how much do you know about the Olimar match-up? I went to a tourney in KC and got destroyed by 2 Olimars (Fino and someone else... can't remember his name...). How can I stay out of his insane grab/spam range and still pose a threat?

Dojo

Smash Champion
@rebd: Shnair into quickdraws are sexy. Make sure you retreat as your going to quickdraw. It puts pressure on him, the nair kills the pikmen, and the quickdraw disrupts his grabs and pikmen throws. If he wants to rush you retreating zairs work magic.

My .02 ^^

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Dojo spoke the truth. I would also like to add that u shouldnt use bombs in this matchup. Nair, Zair and arrow cancel works wonders. Watch zori vs santi in utube to see what DOJO meant.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Alright. I have some basic things I need to work on to make your above strat work (retreating zair, quickdraw), but it looks like it'd work wonders.

terry12312

Smash Rookie
I know it's pretty basic, but I have trouble beating a fox, a friend of mine mains fox, we always play 1v1 no items on final destination and he is very predictable, the strategy he uses is run to one side of the stage, spam b till I close in, smashes and grab/throws me around a bit, repeats it till I'm at around 100% damage, at that point he goes agressive, smashes me around till I get ko'd, and most of the time he ko's me with 0%~30% damage. Whatever strategy I use doesn't work, aerials, he sidesteps/rolls, smashes and repeats his usual cycle, if I use projectiles he uses the reflector, if I jump over him to drop a bomb next to him(he gets explosive damage from it)he rolls and jumps/jump+airdodges and does an aerial, if I stand around for too long(TL's shield blocks the laser gun)he runs into me and beats the crap out of me.
how do I beat him??

btw am I the only onet who uses TL's purple outfit??

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just randomly came into this thread (after 14 pages on 40 posts per page :O) and I saw something about Jab canceling. Toon Link's Jab->dtilt or jab jab -> dtilt is actually really good (I think?) so try it out.

You know what else is really good? Spamming dtilt.

HI =D

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Against fox full hop if they use blaster. Pull bomb out. Land go to mid range as soon as possible. Lure his reflector with ur bomb throw and punish his lag. After u do that hell stop using reflector and go aggro on u. Hell probably approach with down air and after that utilt to combo u. Stop this by using ur sword and hookshot's superior range to avoid getting hit. Its all a battle of spacing and strategic thinking.

@ Asdioh- seriously dtilt isnt as bad as people here think. Ive been using it lately and it seems to work to get foes off me and as an added bonus it trips. :O

terry12312

Smash Rookie
and sorry for the double post, but what are quick draws? and how do I use the zair effectively other than stopping him from aerials?

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I know it's pretty basic, but I have trouble beating a fox, a friend of mine mains fox, we always play 1v1 no items on final destination and he is very predictable, the strategy he uses is run to one side of the stage, spam b till I close in, smashes and grab/throws me around a bit, repeats it till I'm at around 100% damage, at that point he goes agressive, smashes me around till I get ko'd, and most of the time he ko's me with 0%~30% damage. Whatever strategy I use doesn't work, aerials, he sidesteps/rolls, smashes and repeats his usual cycle, if I use projectiles he uses the reflector, if I jump over him to drop a bomb next to him(he gets explosive damage from it)he rolls and jumps/jump+airdodges and does an aerial, if I stand around for too long(TL's shield blocks the laser gun)he runs into me and beats the crap out of me.
how do I beat him??

btw am I the only onet who uses TL's purple outfit??
Thats your problem...
Dont face Fox 1v1 on FD lol

about the color no go look at my Tunic thread its closed but gives you an idea.

EDIT:
Oh and Thanx everyone about the SHDA
I may learn it while I'm still playing brawl.

KBM

Smash Ace
Nuh uh, DEFAULT color is for CHAMPIONS

and so that this isn't spam, Uhh, Santi, do you do that nonsense where you drop down off the ledge, pull a bomb, then throw it up and then recover back up or whatever? it has always seemed pretty superfluous to me, i can't see a real reason to do it :/

Santi

Smash Lord
against FOx..... short hop bair... then you can catch his roll with a nair.

full hops work well as well.

Bair spam =)
It stops his dair :D

My hardest matchup..... Myself. I beat myself. I'm too hard on myself. I get frustrated... make more mistakes.... get angrier.... break my controller... play melee... lose my touch... then go out instead of practicing...

iRjOn

Smash Lord
You have inspired me
To make a Toon Link Sack buddy
Wait till I go over my friends again.
:]

Another question
when faceing an opponet do you try and think ahead or do you react as it comes?

Santi

Smash Lord
You have inspired me
To make a Toon Link Sack buddy
Wait till I go over my friends again.
:]

Another question
when faceing an opponet do you try and think ahead or do you react as it comes?
I try to predict.. and if I'm totally confused... I just space and throw ****. You can't go wrong with that :)

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Me personally. I go with the flow until I hit a wall. Then I think a bit more. Pay attention to what mistakes I am making. Usually I find when you are losing a match, it is because you are doing something that is leaving you open. So I immediately stop doing whatever that is, and try to come up with an alternative. If you play enough, the alternatives are pretty apparent and you don't need spend much time thinking. Although, sometimes I know what I need to do, I just have trouble executing it.

I think I usually do as Santi does...I go out instead of practicing. I actually find it useful to take a break and come back to it much later. Usually the answers have a way showing themselves that way :)

Santi

Smash Lord
my breaks usually don't help me lol
ask Dojo

i come back to the game even more out of whack haha

But this week I'm trying not to get distracted.... I have a tourney saturday... first one since November...

So I'm not getting my mind off brawl.... well trying not to.

EDIT: dont ask Dojo

Formerly Lore

Smash Rookie
Cool a Toon Link board! Ive been practicing with TL for a couple of months (just got Brawl) and Ive gotten pretty good ....except when fighting my arch-nemesis. She mains G&W and the fire kills me everytime ;___; what should I do to avoid it? I need to go in for the kill but the flames! the flames! >__< If I try to Dair to get around it she does this weird wind thing and I float offstage and suicide D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom