• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
God I feel like an idiot. Definitely wasting a lot of improvement time playing alternate characters. Whenever someone else plays an alt in my mind I feel the intensity dying and the need to do that myself. I realize that my mindset changes and I don't play as intelligent anymore.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
yeah but playing alts can also freshen up your mindset. Playing the same character for too long at a time can get you stuck in a rut. (at least that's how it is for me as a fox main). But yeah it's good to try to play your main as long as you can until you need to take a break.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
To me its not really about the character. Even if I play my main vs other peoples Alts I wont be as into it. If it was only about the character then to me that would mean that I wasn't actively thinking in the first place. If you are always thinking then its usually always fun.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
never play alts.

huge huge waste of time

if you feel stuck in a rut you're not trying hard enough. there are so many things to explore and practice in this game. if you're stuck it's cause of your own laziness.

fox and falco mains especially have no excuse. i can come up with at least 25, and probably 50, individual things to practice. this game is all about movement. if you want to become the best, put in the work. no other way.

if you don't want to become the best, i'd question what your priority is out of this game. not challenge, but question. it differs depending on your priorities, but since this is a competitive environment it's fair to assume the context of which people discuss this game is becoming the best, no?

it is lame when other people use alts, but only if they're not better than you. if i'm beating you consistently and you're using alts, it's time for me to leave. you're wasting my time. i'm better off practicing in my room.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i hate it when people say anything about matchups. matchups are irrelevant. what really matters is experience. the two are not the same.

playing someone who is decent and uses falcon is not the same as playing johnny who uses falcon. there will just be so many different nuances that the character becomes pretty irrelevant. there are some character specific, things, sure, but it's more about experience, about getting the skill to even be able to play a johnny without getting *****.

(getting ***** doesn't teach you much of anything, at least directly. it just shows you what you're lacking and need to work on. but if you never practice on it then you got ***** for no reason.)

"matchups" is more like a buzzword/proxy for familiarity. experience/familiarity is a must because you have to turn conscious processing into unconscious processing. this is how you become efficient. it's also how you learn to excel under pressure.

you **** up this processing by switching characters. STOP GETTING IN YOUR BRAIN'S WAY. it's doing it all for you. just don't get in the way.

switching characters is a great way to ensure you have to process things consciously

~~X~~

Smash Cadet
lol if u play ur chars similar/really basic ur all good

i learn alot of stuff wen i play a bunch of chars against someone esp so with puff

baka4moé

Smash Champion
yea at least for a while, maybe not anymore, using other characters helped me realize what those characters are capable of, and has helped a little bit when spacing/baiting/countering against them etc

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Yo we need to figure out housing. Huys idea is terribad and a lot of people are going with that. Who can offer housing? I can probably house like 5 people. People in the area can probably house a few and people in dorms can probably house at least two. Please respond asap.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Yo we need to figure out housing. Huys idea is terribad and a lot of people are going with that. Who can offer housing? I can probably house like 5 people. People in the area can probably house a few and people in dorms can probably house at least two. Please respond asap.
wes/me/crimson/matt call your house!

actually no that's not fair norcal is coming from farther

wait housing for a one-day tournament?

$heen

Smash Ace
No promises about making it to the tournament. However, we can probably house Norcal if they need it.

Also, Dantarion, I must say that I am really impressed with the progress in the Project M demo.

Sparky

Smash Apprentice
hopefully slo will be able to make it, but sheen cant go and andy cant go. If we do go itll be me, ken, and/or trent. But im waiting on them to confirm. I dont really feel like driving to sb all by myself.

Sparky

Smash Apprentice
yeah, me and ken are coming down, but that'll be all from slo unfortunately.
im so excited! this tournaments gonna be hype as ****k

DanteFox

Smash Champion
smash club today at 7:30pm same place as usual. Cho, Curt and Joey try to show up this time. If you don't it's cool. Me, Clayton, Huy and Andrej will have plenty of fun together. :D

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Before this escalates any further:

Please respect other users and keep the drama to a minimum

Top Bottom