• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

SUNG475

Smash Ace
"Huy: Intense match. You're a great player, but I think the community wants you to play more aggressively! (Think Armada ;])"

I personally don't care if he plays aggressively or not, whatever feels like will make him win more should be done

Yea if you are closer in winter break I'd definitely be down to play

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Hey sorry I couldnt make it today, next quarter hopefully. Sounds like you guys will have a good turnout though. Have fun and **** SLO! Go SB, 2nd worst region in cali!
!!!! wouldve been awesome if you came! smash AND LoL! next time dude. as much as I love how active and big the sb community has gotten, i think my favorite smashfests were when you dante, andrej, and I would play for hours and chill at in n out afterwards. better make it next time!

CableCho57

Smash Lord
LOL joey you know you're the homie. hyperbolic time chambers ftw

started uploading. should be done overnight.
and sorry kim about that pool matches you wanted from a while ago. I tried 3 times and it wouldnt upload. I wanna guess its bc of the length?

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
!!!! wouldve been awesome if you came! smash AND LoL! next time dude. as much as I love how active and big the sb community has gotten, i think my favorite smashfests were when you dante, andrej, and I would play for hours and chill at in n out afterwards. better make it next time!
I secretly agree Caleb.
<3 you guys haha. yeah Smash and in n out every week was legit. I wish I listened sooner about the habit though haha.

I think of the thing that stick with me the most is when we would stay at david c's place till 3 in the morning and of course when dante almost jv 5 stocked andrej's fox, hilarious.

Ill be there next lan party.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Haters are gonna hate, you sir are correct. YAY!!

Name searching yourself? I'm impressed. I would never think

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
Joey I just saw a vid of silentswag. I'm not impressed AT ALL. I'm baffled as to how he could have possibly gotten 9th at a national tournament.
he's very good. stop the hate

good **** silentswag. keep reppin' sheik! <3

you would **** dantefox anyway

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Lol swag you're good, proof is in the pudding. Dante just likes a certain play style. that being said. get ***** go SB

DanteFox

Smash Champion
There is no pudding to be found here. Who did SilentSwag beat? Who did he lose to? Placement means next to nothing without context." It's not how high you place, it's who you beat."

Oracle

Smash Master
Consistency>individual results. More importantly, i lost my contacts so you should all text me with your names. Also, anyone want to smash tonight? Havent played since lan party

:phone:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
good luck with that dude. It's dead week which means only true slackers like me would be down to play smash. We'll see though. Last year we got like four people to play during dead week. Teams all night baybee!

Sparky

Smash Apprentice
i wanna try next time we play chris. i dunno about putting money on the line but friendlies dk vs roy sure im down.

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
ur almost def trolling dante but w/e

redd is an amazing fox. sounds like you think you're as good as redd or something. do you comfortably beat joey? i doubt either of you comfortably beat each other. you should recognize that your guys' skill level is the average skill level of players nowadays (or worse). you're fooling yourselves if u think any differently

and as a result you should recognize that your margin of error re: judging other players' skill is quite high, because there's a significant chance your assessments would change when/if you ever became significantly better

in any case i dont know why you're a fan of being abrasive. hope u grow up tho

DanteFox

Smash Champion
The fact that our skills are average doesn't prove that silentswag is anything above that. The truth is that redd played right into silentswag's hands. Sure redd's combos were fantastic, but other than that and a few other little things, I find it hard to be impressed by an impatient fox with slightly above average spacing. It's just more proof of how slim the pickings are as far as good sheiks nowadays. All I can think of is tope, KK, and m2k, and amsah of course. amsah's been gone for awhile though.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
ur almost def trolling dante but w/e

redd is an amazing fox. sounds like you think you're as good as redd or something. do you comfortably beat joey? i doubt either of you comfortably beat each other. you should recognize that your guys' skill level is the average skill level of players nowadays (or worse). you're fooling yourselves if u think any differently

and as a result you should recognize that your margin of error re: judging other players' skill is quite high, because there's a significant chance your assessments would change when/if you ever became significantly better

in any case i dont know why you're a fan of being abrasive. hope u grow up tho
i rlly dont understand you, i mean the irony in this post is pretty funny

can u giv a former sb account or ur tag, bc i have a feeling ur either a former/current ranked player or a scrub (this is just for my own curiousity)

but dante hasnt been abrasive he simply stated his opinion which i guess is taboo on internet forums, also ur argument is flawed: ur saying we judge others highly bc of our average skill when they are tons of good players who judge others highly. also u cant assume bc we're average players that we dont know whats right or whats good/bad; imo the fact that u can call us average smashers to me is a compliment especially considering how how the skill gap has gotten in melee

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
The fact that our skills are average doesn't prove that silentswag is anything above that.
i like to think you're a smart guy. well, "smart" and "intelligent" is overused, so i dunno if you're smart. i like to think you're not dumb, though.

you're (knowingly or unknowingly) being intellectually dishonest cause i never said that proves silentswag (god what a terrible name) is above that.

but the fact he got 9th at a major, beating a great fox (amongst others; brackets never came out so you're free to troll with the "but who did he beat?" mantra, even though i don't think you know who he beat and lost to [if you do please share!]) means it's a safe assumption to say he is above that.

i mean, do you really wanna know how good he is or do you just want to stir up ****? i'm sure you could learn more by asking people who played him how good he is... he's not some unknown who's been playing for a week or something, he's been around the pittsburgh scene for a minute; i'm sure a lot of tri-state players know of him.

The truth is that redd played right into silentswag's hands. Sure redd's combos were fantastic, but other than that and a few other little things, I find it hard to be impressed by an impatient fox with slightly above average spacing. It's just more proof of how slim the pickings are as far as good sheiks nowadays. All I can think of is tope, KK, and m2k, and amsah of course. amsah's been gone for awhile though.
what does "nowadays" means? because one thing time has shown is that no one quits. they may not play as often, to varying degrees, but even pc chris came back after a long layoff. even koreandj came back. i can think of a lot of good sheiks: sheikSSBM, lucien, kira, alukard, tec0, reno, drephen, matt r, overtriforce, to go along with the names you mentioned.

your perceptions have a lot to do with how you evaluate these players. what are you looking at when you see these matches?

to me the most important thing is recognizing just how fast this game is. it's 60 fps and i believe youtube vids only go up to 30 fps. (maybe i'm wrong?) simply being able to keep up with the speed of the game v other high level players (which redd, and silent swag, are in reality, whether you choose to admit it or not) is impressive. i dunno how much experience you have in playing elite players but youtube does them little justice.

i'll rewatch the set right now and tell you the little things i notice that tells me redd/ss are two very good players:

:40 SS dashes forward and shields fox's nair, a demonstration of great reflexes
:45 good spacing on that nair from redd (follows up with a jab, too, which is specific because of the spacing; if he's a little bit closer a jab would be terrible), baits a roll
:55 a really good manipulation by SS of his opponent's timing
1:13 going for that KK fair lol. sure, he messes up but it shows you how well he sees the game
1:22 he misses a nair OOS (along with a lot of other rusty, pressure-related things i've heretofore ignored)
1:47 is proof he just missed it (rather than not being capable of it)
1:51 very sexy shield drop
2:09-2:24 may look sloppy but ss knows there's no point throwing **** out v fox at low percents because you'll just get your **** pushed in. he's exercising good patience by waiting to connect with moves that can't be counterattacked. and 2:25 is a standard response to bthrowing fox off: default choice for sheik is usually to jump out and fair, bair or nair.
now SS has taken over momentum and rightly switches up his style to become more aggressive. he keeps control for a good 30 seconds and barely messes up an edge guard. but he's smart enough to know not to press his luck and doesnt jump into fox's nair and instead plays the wd back aka i'm a ****** *** sheik a la kira (which, as m2k goes to show you, is probably the optimal way to play sheik, a defensive character, so i'm not hating)

also i can tell you from experience how scary that is from fox's perspective. you think you're facing some nooby campy *** defensive sheik so you're used to being in control, but as soon as sheik gets that one opening you get nervous as ****. that is where being slow and patient comes into handy because even if you've only linked 2-3 moves together over a 20 second span, it feels like eons to your opponent, and the longer you keep it up the more likely the fox is gonna do something stupid, get edge guarded, and be looking at an even match.

2:50 i woulda ran off and faired (aka the sherigami) but a needle is pretty cool too

i'll stop now cuz i'm bored and if you don't get the point by now i rescind any notions of optimism re your intelligence. i dunno wtf you're noticing (or not noticing) but if you truly believe in your convictions i'd implore you to go out on a limb, talk a lot of ****, challenge players you aren't impressed with to money matches, and get butt****ed in front of a large audience like i did if that's what it takes for you to realize you are subject to margin of error and should probably stfu and humble yourself before it's too late

i rlly dont understand you
empathy goes a long way

can u giv a former sb account or ur tag, bc i have a feeling ur either a former/current ranked player or a scrub (this is just for my own curiousity)
appeal to authority? who cares. my name and sig say more than enough imo.

but dante hasnt been abrasive
I just saw a vid of silentswag. I'm not impressed AT ALL. I'm baffled as to how he could have possibly gotten 9th at a national tournament.
is clear cut to me.

also ur argument is flawed: ur saying we judge others highly bc of our average skill when they are tons of good players who judge others highly.
i don't know what you're saying but from what i could gather it was definitely not what i was saying

also u cant assume bc we're average players that we dont know whats right or whats good/bad
read more closely because i didnt. im very particular with how i phrase things so i can guarantee you i didnt.

imo the fact that u can call us average smashers to me is a compliment especially considering how how the skill gap has gotten in melee
depends. i'm an average smasher too and it's definitely not a compliment to me. -shrugs-

Top Bottom