• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Unlimited texting. Don't abuse it though, Not unlimited patience.

And yeah, multigaming is just asking to be worse than you could be if you stuck with one. That goes for any games. Smash games are very similar, but high level play isn't similar enough in the two games.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Over the winter break the person's place I'm staying at agreed with me that we were both closer to ranking in Brawl than melee by far so it just followed that this winter we choose one or the other to cinch respective placings by smashfestingx20.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Brawl definitely helps perspective when switching back to melee. Essentially the transition is from a thinking > AT game to a game of finger-speed > thinking. When you practice incorporating AT's (which are actually much easier to practice than thinking...) after switching to Melee after having played brawl at a decent level for a while...yeah.

But I enjoy Brawl at a high level more than losing to low level Fox players in melee at the moment, because in brawl I can at least 2-stock low level metaknights.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
If no one says they will bring set ups by Thursday night, I might as well cancel the smashfest. Also Dante, it is not unfortunate that he picks one game over the other. People do whatever they want. You make it sound like a person who plays :brawl: over :melee: is considered "outside the norm."

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
If I don't get confirmation of enough set ups by Monday 8 PM, I'm cancelling the reservation for the room we're playing in on Saturday. Also how many texts sent and received does David Mendez get per month for his cell phone texting plan?

:245:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'll bring a setup.

I say it's unfortunate because melee is a better competitive game than brawl, and because players who started on brawl tend to get really good really fast when they switch to melee, and John himself was on the same track. I faced the same problem back in '09, and I chose melee instead.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I also forgot to mention that the room I'm reserving (for free) will also depend on how many set ups we get so if David Mendez does not bring a set up, then I would have to change the reserved room. Also what was the "same problem" you faced in 2009? :confused:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
It's the pc version of halo, but some people (hackers or fans i guess) took it and cut out the single player and some of the maps so that it's only 77 Megabytes and you can fit it on a flash drive. You can then plug that flash drive into a school computer and play halo there! I haven't done that tho, but it's nice to have (thanks andrej!)

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
The San Rafael Community Room. This is assuming David Mendez also brings a set up. Also I was watching RoM 3: Hungrybox vs. M2K and then I refreshed the video to see it again but I could not. Did everyone had the same problem? :confused:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
The San Rafael Community Room. This is assuming David Mendez also brings a set up. Also I was watching RoM 3: Hungrybox vs. M2K and then I refreshed the video to see it again but I could not. Did everyone had the same problem? :confused:
David M is gonna be in LA because of the LSAT, so he won't be attending. At the end of the last spring quarter we had a pretty fun smashfest with just my one setup. I don't see why we can't do that again. :confused:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Wait. I thought David Mendez already took the LSAT last Saturday. :confused: That's because in the Spring, we had few people. Also I like Andy's avatar. :colorful: Who is confirmed for DGDTJ? Is anyone entering the N64 side event at DGDTJ? Isai is confirmed for N64 at DGDTJ?

xcevers

Smash Rookie
whats up

Hey this is evan, I've found the sb thread woohoo.

Crackle, did I play you a few days ago? I am honored if my low level of play inspired you to quit

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Also Dante, the reason why we cannot have one set up like last time in the spring is because last time we had few people. This time, we will have more people. Also has Dante, Joe, and Caleb been confirmed for DGDTJ? Dante and Caleb should at least give $15 in gas money to the driver for a round trip ride. Also Isai will be there for N64. I might as well cancel the smashfest as well as the room then. I don't like rotations.

:212:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
we only have 3 people confirmed for the smashfest so far: caleb, you and me. Spring quarter we had andrej and josh as well. I don't see how we have too many people compared with last time.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Not quite true. Evan, Andrej, Anthony, David, Joe, and Cape will also come. Just because you do not know that there are more people coming does not mean that more people aren't coming. Also Caleb, Andrew, and Evan have not accepted my friend request on SWF yet. :crying:

8 people : 1 set up is not a good ratio, so that is why I am cancelling the room request. Also are you completely sure David Mendez has not taken the LSAT last Saturday?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Not quite true. Evan, Andrej, Anthony, David, Joe, and Cape will also come. Just because you do not know that there are more people coming does not mean that more people aren't coming. Also Caleb, Andrew, and Evan have not accepted my friend request on SWF yet. :crying:

8 people : 1 set up is not a good ratio, so that is why I am cancelling the room request. Also are you completely sure David Mendez has not taken the LSAT last Saturday?
have all of these people confirmed that they are coming, or are you just assuming? I'm surprised that Cape and Joe are coming. I figured 7 would be kinda late for them to stay out. :laugh: And isn't there at least one tv in the San Raf lounge? I'm almost sure I saw one while walking around last time.

also

Hey this is evan, I've found the sb thread woohoo.

Crackle, did I play you a few days ago? I am honored if my low level of play inspired you to quit
welcome to our humble thread. All the info regarding members of the community and upcoming events is in the first post. I can add you to the community list if you tell me which character you main.

xcevers

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure at the moment... How about falco/peach

And if your talking about smashing on saturday, no one has asked me and I will probably be out of town

DanteFox

Smash Champion
thanks. I figured he was assuming. I think the only other people who might be in town at that time are cape, joe and andrej since he lives off campus. Anthony and David C. are unlikely I'd say.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Dante, first of all, your assumption that I'm assuming they are not coming are double standard. You assert that your assumption that they are not coming is correct, yet you dismiss the fact that my assumption that they are coming is incorrect. There is no TV in the community room. First of all, we are not playing in the San Rafael Lounge, we are playing in the room I reserved. Anthony tells me otherwise. Dante, when do you finish final exams? Let's say your assumption is correct and there are only 3 people, I still would cancel the room and the smashfest anyways since it is only 3 people and not worth having the smashfest.

:234:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
You're getting better at debating, but you still have a ways to go. You don't need to use debate language in this thread. Now, let's look at the worst case scenarios that would happen if each of our assumptions are wrong:

Dante is wrong: a smashfest happens with too few setups. we play teams and rotate out the losing team, or the player who died first rotates out if we have an odd number of people. We have a fun time regardless.

Huy is wrong: nobody has fun because huy cancelled the smashfest because he doesn't like waiting in rotations.

one assumption is clearly the better one.....

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You are assuming that not having a smashfest is not fun which is not true. There are many other things you can do besides playing Melee to have fun. I still have fun while not playing Melee. You are assuming that everyone thinks playing Melee with having to wait in rotations is fun which is not true. Apparently, I do not think it is fun to play Melee while waiting in rotations. One assumption is not clearly the better one since you have assume false things to be true. You still didn't answer my question. When is your last final exam? I can come over to your house if you can host assuming the buses still run.

:212:

DanteFox

Smash Champion
friday 4-7pm.

melee is more fun than no melee. Do you have less fun waiting in rotations than you do not playing melee at all? If so you're definitely in the minority. and yeah if you cancel the smashfest you'll force me to have one at my house, and we'll still probably do rotations.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I have less fun playing Melee + waiting for rotations than hanging out with friends, watch Japanese animation, reading, watching Youtube videos, etc. Playing Melee without rotations obviously surpasses all of that which we're not arguing about. Obviously, it is not enjoyable to wait in rotations and do other stuff while waiting in rotations, and switching back and forth. I'd rather focus on one thing. What is your new address and what buses do I have to take to get to your house? :confused:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
That's not how it works. Since I'm booking the room, I have to deal with clean up, etc. I have to take responsibility regarding the room, etc. Last time I hosted a smashfest at my suite in Spring and you, Josh, and Andrej didn't corrrectly position the chairs, couches, tables, etc. and there was trash in the suite and I received a complaint from RHA Housing. :mad: They knew I was responsible since I was the last person in my suite to check out. Good thing I didn't get charged money on my BARC account, but the warning is still on my record. In fact, the warning on my record may influence whether or not I am able to even book the room since they may give priority to people who don't have warnings on their housing record. So let's say I booked the room on Sunday (which I did) and then someone on a subsequent day (like let's say on Wednesday for example) books a room on the same day, then they will cancel my request and give it to the other person. The only person whom I'd probably trust this time to stay back and do the clean up, furniture positionings, etc. is like Anthony or something.

Top Bottom