• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'm applying for a bunch of different groups right now to fill the void blue has left me lol. hopefully I'll at least make debater, although pink sucks for a name color. :(

CableCho57

Smash Lord
i'm probably going to go to dgdtj if I have my license or not. I'm going up to norcal around that time anyway to hang out with my sister and come back to sb with her while shes on winter break. And i figured while im up there, heck ill go to dgdtj =D

SomeRandomKid

Smash Cadet
Looks like I should check this page more often. It is very likely that Erik, Jun, and me can each provide a setup. So that will be a total of 3 brawl setups. Whenever the brawl-related stuff is set, I can get someone to update it on the Allisbrawl.com side as well. There are a few Oxnard people that are usually interested in SB tournies, so it would be good to post it there as well.

I guess something to add. Andrew from a few years back hosted a Lan Party tournament as well. He made some fliers and posted it around campus. We ended up with around ~35 people for brawl and ~20 people for melee. More people would of probably came, but Andrew had the venue at $10 or something on the flier, but changed it to $5 at the time of the tournie.

SomeRandomKid

Smash Cadet
It is possible we can get around a car full of people from Oxnard, depending on if someone is available to drive them in the area. I think that most of the Oxnard people are Brawl and a few melee. They don't have many people, but there are a few there that often go to Brawl tournies.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
David and John want a $1 entry fee for Brawl as well. A good way to attract Out of Town entrants for both games would be to raise the entry fee for both games to $5, but Dante, David, and John do not want to do this. :( Are you, Jun, Dantarion Eric, and Vicegrip Eric okay with a $1 entry fee? :confused:

SomeRandomKid

Smash Cadet
I honestly have no problems with that. I'm not there to make money, just playing to enjoy myself. The pseudo-tournament environment is nice enough. The $1 entry fee is fine seeing that the event is more catered to the casual people at the smash club, which I would imagine to be the majority. The $1 entry fee would better suit the club.

Some Oxnard Brawl people come up once in a while to smash, they might come regardless, assuming they aren't busy/going to another tournie.

Eric/Dantarion isn't back yet, but he said he should be coming back in January.

Also, will we get venue fee waived if we bring a setup? =D

Something else to add in as well. Getting out of towners is difficult. The best we can hope for is really just SLO and Oxnard area. As far as I know, the smashers in the 818 and LA are hardly willing to drive up to SB, let alone SD. SD smashers tend to do the most traveling, but a 8-10 hour round trip would be too much for them.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
yeah the reason for me making the entry fee $1 is to make it more casual- and semi-casual-friendly. Last year a bunch of people didn't want to enter because the fee was too high and "I'm just gonna get ***** anyway" yadda yadda yadda. So this time I'm experimenting at the other end of the spectrum. $1 flat fee. that's it. No venue fee either. just bring a setup ya lazy bums. =D

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
There is no entry fee for either games. Andrew only charged the venue fee because we were using the second room. This year we are not using the second room. Actually Dante, last year we could have had more entrants but you did not advertised on AiB, Gamefaqs, Facebook, etc. when you should have. Also advertising on Facebook actually means making a separate page with information on it not just putting the link in your status.

:212:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
You should have made that clear then. Remember, relevant information is key. Also the reason they didn't enter was because they did not have teammates as well as not having controllers. Evan told me the exact same thing. Jeff did not enter because he doesn't feel like it which does not have any bearing on the entry fee itself since he teamed with Andrej for Melee doubles and Andrew's tournament and beat Caleb and I. :(

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Dude last year Kevin and Aj came from OUT OF CITY all the way to SB and we only had SIX entrants bc the entry fee was too high. People saying exactly what dante said, how theyd just get ***** etc.

it's better that no out of SB ppl come because of the low entry fee if it means more SB people entering because of the cheap fee. Plus we are a SMALL community. Low entry fee means more local ppl having interest and ultimately(hopefully) growing as a whole.

Huy I know you can be a little cocky and you probably feel like youd place top 2, but 1 dollar entry is ideal right now as opposed to having SIX ppl enter with the 5 dollar entry fee.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
My push for a $5 entry fee does not have any bearing on my potential placement in the tournament. I would not place top 2 if Gishnak and Lovage comes and they are only likely to come if the entry fee is $5. Also we had 8 entrants last time.

The results are as follows:

1. Huy
2. Dante (lost to Kevin and Huy)
3. Kevin (lost to Huy and Dante)
4. Caleb (lost to Dante)
5. Andrej (lost to Huy)
5. Gosu
7. Gino
7. Marty

Also Smashfest today got cancelled because John and I are too busy, David is at home, and David does not have a Wii Remote to go with the Wii, and Dante could not get a ride. :( Also I will not be at tomorrow's Smash Club meeting.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
dude where do you get that I couldn't get a ride lol. I haven't even talked to you today about the smashfest. I mean, if it didn't happen, w/e, but don't say things for me that I didn't say myself.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A lot of people are complaining about the format of the Melee tournament. We should make it pools with proper seeding like the Ranbat 1.4 when SoCal came.

SomeRandomKid

Smash Cadet
Just something to consider. If you are planning to get pizza for the lan party, Domino's is currently having a special deal, "WALK IN. SAVE DOUGH! November 14th-November 21st pick up a LARGE 2-TOPPING PIZZA for just $5.99! Use code 9159." Should allow more choices than Costco, and possibly having more pizza per dollar.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
A.S. Tech is currently getting pizza from Costco, but I'll try to get them to change their minds. Also can we get unlimited amounts of pizza this way from Domino's and it will still have this deal in effect? Also what we can do is that wait until all of the pizza are gone and at around 9 PM or so we order our own pizza. That could work. We just have to move the pizza towards the other side of the room so people don't steal our pizza. Also what is everyone's opinions on David Mendez's layout for the Bottom Line? I think he has a good layout. :)

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Bright, I have emailed A.S. Tech about the deal and they all said it seemed sketchy. How soon can you get back to us about the effectiveness of the deal because we start voting on the budget on Tuesday at 7 PM. Who has Bright's IM SN?

Also Caleb, we are not doing crews because we are running pools (or at least try to) so we will not have enough time to run crews unless we have a large amount of Melee set ups. Pools > crews.

Is SLO still coming to this? The entry fee is $1 so I doubt they will come.

:212:

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Project M won't happen because Dantarion isn't in SB. He'll come back in January. Also the Anime Club Melee tournament is on Saturday January 22, 2010 and I'll ask Dantarion to see if he can make this. Can SLO make this? I want registration to start at 11:30 AM and have the tournament start at 12 PM, so it can end at 6:30 PM so Caleb can go, but Dante never shows up to a LAN Party before noon anyways. :( Also I want to run pools into brackets but I'm not sure how we can plan this around Caleb. I was thinking of putting Caleb in the first pools and then have him do brackets when he comes back at 10 PM.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Also have we decided the entry fee for the Anime Club Tournament yet? We should make the entry fee for the Anime Club Tournament $5. :) Dante should put this in the OP. Saturday January 22, 2010 at noon in the Student Resource Building on UCSB Campus. Also I need a partner for the ACT. I main :peach:

Top Bottom