• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Hey SD, the graduating seniors of my band wanted to take a day trip somewhere, so I suggested San Diego, but the only cool things I know about are the beach, lolita's, and Phil's. What else do you guys have?
I'm kind of surprised you didn't mention SeaWorld but maybe you guys don't want to go there.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
Hey SD, the graduating seniors of my band wanted to take a day trip somewhere, so I suggested San Diego, but the only cool things I know about are the beach, lolita's, and Phil's. What else do you guys have?
we have the SD zoo, we have Sea World, we have the Gaslamp District, we have the tar pits, we have haunted houses/streets, we have the Museum of Man, downtown is sick, we have cool malls, etc. SD is where its at. its just ridiculously huge

Jun.

Smash Lord
A trip to the fair and a bonfire at La Jolla shores should be pretty tight.

Then a smashfest at the lodge.

Crucial part being smashfest at the lodge.

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Anyone around that wants to play at 4? Radical? I don't think Camp La Jolla is there just yet...

Edit: I'm here setting up. No sign of any camps so if anyone else wants to come by feel free too.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
i'll host a smashfest tomorrow if people will show. im only 45 mins away from campus so if u guys carpool it should be an easy trip. lets make this happen ya?

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. :D

Also, I just started watching Cowboy Bebop..
ANDREW..IS EIN NAMED AFTER EIN? mind blown.

Jun.

Smash Lord
aw man school is not in session but starting next week there might be some more people down here. Check this thread semi regularly!

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
That sounds great but from what I've heard he lives 45 minutes from UCSD and I already live about the same from UCSD lol. So count me out if that happens.

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, most of ucsd is not in town making the ride not super worth it. Re-post again this weekend, people getting back are probably gonna want to play immediately so its definitely more of a possibility then. Also, sorry to all you guys that have to commute to ucsd to smash, we don't come to you enough.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
I can host Friday night 7pm+ in my apartment if...
1) you guys are willing to drive. I live just north of the 56, just east of the 5... Exit 33B on 5 North... the first exit after the I5-I805 merge. It's not too far from UCSD. Probably 10 minutes without traffic.
2) there will be 8 or less people. I have two LCD TV's and one MeleeCube, so someone would have to bring a MeleeCube, preferably with component cables. If you have setups to bring, there's enough room to fit a 3rd and maybe a 4th setup comfortably. The 8 is flexible if you bring setups (4 per). It just gets lame if there are more than 4 per setup.

I could do Sunday too if Friday isn't good.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Just a heads up, most people don't like to play on LCD TVs. There's typically 6-15 frames of lag due to the resolution scaling.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I can host Friday night 7pm+ in my apartment if...
1) you guys are willing to drive. I live just north of the 56, just east of the 5... Exit 33B on 5 North... the first exit after the I5-I805 merge. It's not too far from UCSD. Probably 10 minutes without traffic.
2) there will be 8 or less people. I have two LCD TV's and one MeleeCube, so someone would have to bring a MeleeCube, preferably with component cables. If you have setups to bring, there's enough room to fit a 3rd and maybe a 4th setup comfortably. The 8 is flexible if you bring setups (4 per). It just gets lame if there are more than 4 per setup.

I could do Sunday too if Friday isn't good.
Now that's something I'd be willing to go to :awesome:

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
Just a heads up, most people don't like to play on LCD TVs. There's typically 6-15 frames of lag due to the resolution scaling.
I'm well aware of the lag issues on LCD's. In the Pittsburgh scene, our venue changed out all their CRT's to tiny LCD's. There are ways to reduce this lag. Component cables that let you output to 480p helped a lot, if not removing the lag completely. Changing the TV settings to output a basic, non-widescreen image can help too. One of my current TV's was played on a lot and only one person ever said it felt like it lagged. I think it's a psychological barrier that you have to can get over.
On the big TV comment from Jun: one of my LCD's is pretty big, hahaha. The combo of LCD + size might be killer.

If there's no other venue that people are willing to go to and you're willing to give my LCD's a shot, my place is open. People can bring CRT setups if you're still paranoid, especially with Genesis so close.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I'm well aware of the lag issues on LCD's. In the Pittsburgh scene, our venue changed out all their CRT's to tiny LCD's. There are ways to reduce this lag. Component cables that let you output to 480p helped a lot, if not removing the lag completely. Changing the TV settings to output a basic, non-widescreen image can help too. One of my current TV's was played on a lot and only one person ever said it felt like it lagged. I think it's a psychological barrier that you have to can get over.
On the big TV comment from Jun: one of my LCD's is pretty big, hahaha. The combo of LCD + size might be killer.

If there's no other venue that people are willing to go to and you're willing to give my LCD's a shot, my place is open. People can bring CRT setups if you're still paranoid, especially with Genesis so close.
I think paranoia is healthy in this situation. haha.

Marths, Shieks, Peaches, etc. might be able to get away with playing on an LCD with reduced delay, but I think a competent Fox/Falco would find it too difficult and counter-productive to readjust their timing.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Marth on an LCD is not a good idea considering his timing needs. It's not like Fox or Falco where you can just stick out a hitbox and it lasts half a second.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
Any lag could absolutely screw up anyone's game.

There are ways to reduce this lag. Component cables that let you output to 480p helped a lot, if not removing the lag completely. Changing the TV settings to output a basic, non-widescreen image can help too. One of my current TV's was played on a lot and only one person ever said it felt like it lagged.
The point I was trying to make here is that as far as myself and many other smashers could tell, it is possible to eliminate the LCD related lag. Personally, I have had many very good fox's, falco's, sheiks, marths, C. falcons, etc. play just fine on my LCD without any adjustment.

Still, if you don't believe me, you're welcome to come and talk trash. Trash talk is always welcome.

.PNOY.

Smash Apprentice
the HD cables definitely reduce lag, but they don't ELIMINATE lag, which is very noticeable. i've tried every which way messing w/ my TV settings and different cables but none can totally nullify the lag.

don't be so defensive bro, we're just stating facts. besides, if there was actually a way to eliminate the lag, people would already know.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
I'm not being defensive, I'm just saying that myself and others have played on LCD's without noticing any lag. I feel like there's a bit of unnecessary closed-mindedness going on here.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
I bet what nintendo will do is sell ssbm on the wii u for download. Then we'll have to pay for the same game twice, but then we can play ssbm on lcds in glorious 480p (or upconverted into really blocky 1080p).

Top Bottom