• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i thought, for lcd tv's, you had to use S-video cables to eliminate the lag?

something with the conversion from analog to digital (or vice versa) which makes it lag on lcd tv's (idk if it's lcd tv's in general, i actually though it was HD tv's as a whole... wether 720p or 1080p... i know that ssbm native resolution is in 480p, and maybe the upscaling of the hd tv's is what causes the lag?)

or maybe playing around with the progressive scan feature of melee will reduce the lag?

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
I'm not being defensive, I'm just saying that myself and others have played on LCD's without noticing any lag. I feel like there's a bit of unnecessary closed-mindedness going on here.
If all you do is play on lcd tv's then you wont recognize lag...there is lag always on lcd's and any lag wrecks competative gameplay.

on another note...anyone game to smash tonight?

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Hey ****, I'd like to take you up on your offer for Friday, even if it's just me (though I'll try to get at least one other).

EDIT: I am talking to Mr. Chang. Smashboards censors his name.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I want my name to be censored too.

J****

Also, @RD: "Marth on an LCD is not a good idea considering his timing needs. It's not like Fox or Falco where you can just stick out a hitbox and it lasts half a second."

You try pillaring on an LCD!

haha.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
@RD: I'll post up my address tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can get a few more. If you come and you ARE bothered by the lag, we could always do something else. Or if you have a portable CRT that would work too.

I want my name to be censored too.

J****
I actually spent a good part of this afternoon trying to get around this censor. My signature picture got censored because of it. It was originally www.****chang.com/hey****.jpg. I changed the file name to heydck.jpg but the www.****chang.com part of it was still censored. Then I tried uploading it to photobucket, but photobucket puts my username in the image URL so that got censored too. Finally I got it to work through Google's image service, Picasa. I might have to file a change request to whoever manages the censor on this site.
BTW, my double's team name was "Hey****" because my teamates name was HeyNivek. My name is ****Chang. Basic mashup. I think the Contra screengrab explains itself.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Also, @RD: "Marth on an LCD is not a good idea considering his timing needs. It's not like Fox or Falco where you can just stick out a hitbox and it lasts half a second."

You try pillaring on an LCD!

haha.
Why pillar? Just stick out a dair and it'll last longer than the LCD delay time.

Try timing 4 frame hit boxes on an LCD.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
yep from my experience, playing fox is pretty easy on an lcd. maybe not like lovage status tech skill, but bread and butter jman/m2k style is pretty easy on an lcd. laser camp, dash dance camp, all hella easy. l canceling too. actually ive beaten SS on lcd friendlies LOL but marth is harder, especially chaingrabbing on an lcd

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
the biggest problem with san diego's smash scene is NO ONE TRAVELS. it's embarrassing. even ask Pat, it was bad in melee's glory days but the smashers in SD NOW are ever worse. No one drives more than 10 minutes to play and because of that, none of you will ever grow. I love how at least 75% of orange countie's smashers travel to every SD tourney but 5% of SD goes anywhere outside of the ucsd; it's a joke.

I've offered to host smashfest AND I would host a tourney once a month but I KNOW there would be more OC smashers at my pad than SD smashers and that's sad.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Michael Boss said:
the biggest problem with san diego's smash scene is NO ONE TRAVELS. it's embarrassing. even ask Pat, it was bad in melee's glory days but the smashers in SD NOW are ever worse. No one drives more than 10 minutes to play and because of that, none of you will ever grow. I love how at least 75% of orange countie's smashers travel to every SD tourney but 5% of SD goes anywhere outside of the ucsd; it's a joke.

I've offered to host smashfest AND I would host a tourney once a month but I KNOW there would be more OC smashers at my pad than SD smashers and that's sad.
This man speaks the truth. Boss you gotta realize though, for the most part UCSD's had a lot of improvement to do just playing here at UCSD. There were tons of smashfests and always better players to learn from, so there was never a need to travel. Recently however, a lot of them have satiated themselves with all they can learn from our microcommunity, but are unwilling to travel since they've never had to in the past.

And y'know what, it's totally fine if smashers don't wanna travel. There's nothing wrong with sitting back and playing at your own place. The problem Boss has here (and I agree) is when people whine about there being no smash, ask someone in SD county to open their homes to strangers, and then complain that it's too far. Beggars can't be choosers. If you really wanna play and get better, show some dedication.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Let's bring things down to earth if we can. SD players have already grown quite a bit, more than most, and will probably continue to grow. Some of it just comes from playing so much, and some of it is due to the luck of other players traveling to SD. I've seen Jesse grow a lot in the only year that I've known him, and this was someone who was already higher up in the scene.

I guess you can fault someone for favoring convenience of over inconvenience instead of taking whatever they can get, but some people don't always even get to choose. I hope he doesn't mind me putting him on the spot too much, but I'm pretty sure Glowworm is lucky when he can make it to UCSD at all due to transportation considerations, so a 90 minute drive may simply be out of the question. This was often my situation in the past, and it sucks.

Now, speaking only for myself, I was inquiring about hosting from people who I consider myself acquainted with (and possibly even friends), and who have either hosted in the past or expressed interest in hosting. If this really is an issue, I will open up my house for smashing right now (not at this hour, but from this day until I start working again).

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Well unless you're east of Alpine, it only takes ~45 minutes to get from anywhere to anywhere in SD county. The next furthest commutes are probably El Cajon/Chula Vista - Oceanside and each of those are right in the ballpark of 45 minutes. I'm not sure if there are really any 90 minute commutes for SD kids with cars.

ycz12

Smash Ace
That's a bit of a short notice... I went to middle school at Carmel Valley MS, though, so I can't possibly complain about distance. I'll edit this post later this afternoon when I've decided whether to come.

Edit: I'll be there! Around 7:15-30.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Well unless you're east of Alpine, it only takes ~45 minutes to get from anywhere to anywhere in SD county. The next furthest commutes are probably El Cajon/Chula Vista - Oceanside and each of those are right in the ballpark of 45 minutes. I'm not sure if there are really any 90 minute commutes for SD kids with cars.
Unless you live at one of those extremes and try to get to the other, in which case the drive will easily exceed 45 minutes. I live roughly at the half-way point between Oceanside and Chula Vista and it takes about 40 minutes to get to either one from where I am.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
It's not so much the time it gets to UCSD by car, as it is with my current situation where I have my DL but I don't have a car and rely on my parents for a ride over there (which is like once or twice a month rofl).

There was a time where I would go to smashfests and tournaments with Justin (eclipse) but we would frequently find it hard to commute with the lack of gas money and parking money.

If I were to take the bus/trolley, it'll cost me 5 bucks and it's about an 1 hour and half~ to get there and roughly the same to get back and also having in mind that after a certain time, buses aren't in service so while I'd like to stay until 12PM or something, I have to consider going home earlier than I'd like to.

It was extremely evident how worrisome it was for me on how to get home the last smashfest because I didn't have a car and I stayed all night there lol. I ended up borrowing 5 dollars from Kelvin to get home lol.

Anyways, that's just my case. I'm sure everyone has cars and whatnot. I think SD should carpool more to get to tournaments/big smashfests. SD Brawl community does it all the time.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Radical Andrew said:
Unless you live at one of those extremes and try to get to the other, in which case the drive will easily exceed 45 minutes. I live roughly at the half-way point between Oceanside and Chula Vista and it takes about 40 minutes to get to either one from where I am.
Nah I did the drive from LA to Chula Vista today and it took about 40 minutes from when I passed the 78 till arriving in Chula Vista. Granted it can take some time to get to the exit, and traffic can definitely be a factor; but distance-wise I think it's almost exactly 45 miles once you're on the road.

edit: I was going between 70-80 mph, so speeding a bit

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Depends on what the speed limit is. I've found that cops don't consider it speeding unless your'e at least 10 miles over the speed limit. So 75 is usually good, 80 in 70 zones.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
Shoutout to the guys that came out to play at my place tonight.
So the verdict on my LCD's... The big one is way too laggy. The small one is playable, but might be laggy for the more discerning few. Thanks to Radical for bringing his tiny CRT. Hopefully we can find another venue while the Lodge is being used.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
i'll be at grev fa sho. few people are smashin at my pad tomorrow if anyone wants some practice and wants some of this falconnnnnnnnnnnahhhhhhhhh!

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Darn. Seems like I'm going to miss this by a day.
Hope you guys go up to Irvine and do well!
I need to play again so bad. ha.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Oh yeah and since the bus isn't going up to genesis, I've got no way to bring all the TVs up. I dont know how many of you SD folks are making the trip up north, but if you have space for or 2 TVs I'm sure DBR would really appreciate it.

HomeRunTom

Smash Apprentice
Yes. My practice with an Xbox controller has increased my tech skill with the GC controller.
Stuff I was struggling to do a month ago is now [almost] second nature.

Top Bottom