• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Rickety

Peace and Love
Nicely said, Edrees :]

Is there anything Edrees can't do? <3

:]

It's time Edrees and I abuse our triweekly power :cool: ;)

<3
rickety

P.S. I love Arash!

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Question: When are Doubles and Singles starting? I might not be able to make whichever is first :x

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Sorry guys but I have to scrub out on the tv, ps2 and everything this time since my normal tv broke after the last tournament... from moving it around so much. Very very sorry peeps. I'll bring a cube for the large lounge tv that nobody likes though.

forward

Smash Champion
i was actually gonna write what edrees just said..

how about we ban wobbles, but every time the IC player grabs you and nana is nearby, you break out and kill yourself once. that way, nobody would be bored, and ICs still effectively get the same result.

but maybe that's just wishful thinking....
LOL i do this sometimes actually >.>

Zack353

Smash Ace
I know wtf my check hasn't come yet, they emailed me and asked for my social security number.. is that really necessary? >_>

Btw, taking all $.01 money matches. :)

Team Giza

Smash Lord
If you notice all the banned tactics they drastically reduce interactivity. Like Peach bombing. The other player is reduced to watching. Freeze glitch freezes the game, you cannot interact. Chain grabbing still has 100% interaction between players, so it's not banned. See the trend?
Peach's bombing is banned because its stalling. The freeze glitch is banned because it completely glitches the game and makes it so the ice climbers don't even need to keep up a rhythm in order to keep them it can last forever with nothing being pressed. If the wobbles is just a but off you can wiggle out of it, heck Ive even heard of Chu messing it up, at the last triweekly in fast.

Lets compare this to other fighting game. Peach's wall bombing is like Gambits glitch in MvC2 were he flies off and you cannot reach him. The Freeze glitch is like Venom's glitch in MvC2 were he freezes the opponent forever (and flies away himself) lol. Furthermore, Peach's Wall bombing is banned for stalling, the Freeze Glitch is banned cause it actually glitches the game into making it so no control response will even begin. This is different from Wobbling for quite a few reason; the game is actually reading your controller responses and sending it to the character, if the opponent stops performing the wobbles correctly you can escape (Zephyr has gotten free of Azn_lep before). Wobbling isn't even a real glitch it is just abusing Hit stun to produce an infinite, and from what Ive seen of almost every other competitive fighting games infinites like this are generally accepted.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
giza he wasn't saying that was why they're banned, he's comparing them

I think...?
Well he is comparing them but he is comparing it to banned tactics in order to imply that Wobbling should be banned or should be one the way to being banned or so it seemed to have sounded to me so I responded recordingly.

Thanks Azn_lep. You'll be a big help. :bandit: Anyone else wants some MMs?

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
Well he is comparing them but he is comparing it to banned tactics in order to imply that Wobbling should be banned or should be one the way to being banned or so it seemed to have sounded to me so I responded recordingly.

Thanks Azn_lep. You'll be a big help. :bandit: Anyone else wants some MMs?
iill get in on some mm's.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
I'll MM you Giza. Ganon ditto? =P

Also, if you take what you're saying and stretch it a bit, you can see that wobbling could very well be used to stall. It's not like they automatically break out at 999%. If the ICs decide to, they can just hold the person in the wobble until the match is over.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I'll MM you Giza. Ganon ditto? =P

Also, if you take what you're saying and stretch it a bit, you can see that wobbling could very well be used to stall. It's not like they automatically break out at 999%. If the ICs decide to, they can just hold the person in the wobble until the match is over.
Yes these things can be used for stalling. It wouldnt be too hard to make a rule against this, such as you cannot wobble passed 200% or something think that. Any percent when it is going to be an obvious kill if you do a smash it could be considered stalling. Think about the Deadbody infinites in MvC2. These can be used to stall the match forever, and using them in this way are banned. However, you can still use the technique for positional advantage and you can use those same infinites in game to kill the opponent before their bar is gone.

I'll take that match. $5 again?
---
Zephyr you need a teammate? I wouldn't mind going with you but you may think I am too reckless.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Yes these things can be used for stalling. It would be too hard to make a rule against this, such as you cannot wobble passed 200% or something think that. Any percent when it is going to be an obvious kill if you do a smash it could be considered stalling. Think about the Deadbody infinites in MvC2. These can be used to stall the match forever, and using them in this way are banned. However, you can still use the technique for positional advantage and you can use those same infinites in game to kill the opponent before their bar is gone.

I'll take that match. $5 again?
---
Zephyr you need a teammate? I wouldn't mind going with you but you may think I am too reckless.
I don't play MvC2 really, so I don't really get the reference, but I understand where you're coming from.

And yeah, $5 sounds good again for another best of 5 Ganon set =P

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Uhh...just to let you know, Giza, I've never broken out of an infinite, to my knowledge. I don't know where you got that from.

NOOOO PH DON'T DO THIS TO ME.

JK, I did it to you last time, I deserve that one. XD

And Giza? I might think YOU'RE too reckless? This is ME we're talking about. Just don't kill me and don't let me kill you and we'll do fine.

Oh, and I'll MM you, Jon. That's a $1 loss for me. =/

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Giza I know why wallbombing and such are banned. I was only creating a common thread between banned tactics and showing why Wobbling is inside that common thread. Nothing you have said counters the idea that Wobbling, along with tactics that are banned, all share the fact that they massively decrease the interactivity that Smash offers. Yeah the game is reading your button inputs but regardless of what your opponent is doing you can do your button input and take a full stock off. So what if you can "mess up" People can mess up wallbombing too, and so if they mess up it wont be stalling anymore. It's not that easy to mess up. If you watch videos of me vs Azn Lep and Wobbles, anytime the wobbles started I was dead. No one has ever messed it up on me.

And I can't understand your examples I dont know anything about these other fighting games.

It wouldnt be too hard to make a rule against this, such as you cannot wobble passed 200% or something think that. Any percent when it is going to be an obvious kill if you do a smash it could be considered stalling.
Actually that's a gray area too. What if there is a ceiling/wall around? People can tech off those and live at 200%. However if you do it at 999% it becomes insanely tough to tech off of. Someone could easily claim that they aren't stalling, they are just worried the person MIGHT tech it and survive unless they do it to a really high percentage. And that's a valid claim actually I'm just saying why you can't actually designate a percentage for stalling.

Bleh this is pretty bad spam. I'll stop from here on.

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
I'm not in extreme favor of wobbling, nor am I trying to stir up another argument. But Giza mentioning MvC2 popped an idea into my head...

...In MvC2, many top tier characters like Magneto and Storm have plenty of deadly infinites that aren't banned in tournament play. When facing these characters, 90% of the thoughts in your head will pertain to evading those infinites. Same thing should happen when playing against ice climbers. I believe Forward mentioned a plethora of things to do to avoid getting wobbled, and those should be taken into account.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Uhh...just to let you know, Giza, I've never broken out of an infinite, to my knowledge. I don't know where you got that from.
I am 100% sure you did. It was the first time I actually saw the infinite so I remember it distinctly. Azn turned his back to the screen while doing it, and you got out of it.

...In MvC2, many top tier characters like Magneto and Storm have plenty of deadly infinites that aren't banned in tournament play. When facing these characters, 90% of the thoughts in your head will pertain to evading those infinites. Same thing should happen when playing against ice climbers. I believe Forward mentioned a plethora of things to do to avoid getting wobbled, and those should be taken into account.
I think it might be because these people just are involved in Smash and may not even consider it a real tournament fighting game. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they fought to call it that. But I think its important that we all understand the idea of competitive fighting games in general before making sudden decisions about our own game.

Giza I know why wallbombing and such are banned. I was only creating a common thread between banned tactics and showing why Wobbling is inside that common thread. Nothing you have said counters the idea that Wobbling, along with tactics that are banned, all share the fact that they massively decrease the interactivity that Smash offers. Yeah the game is reading your button inputs but regardless of what your opponent is doing you can do your button input and take a full stock off. So what if you can "mess up" People can mess up wallbombing too, and so if they mess up it wont be stalling anymore. It's not that easy to mess up. If you watch videos of me vs Azn Lep and Wobbles, anytime the wobbles started I was dead. No one has ever messed it up on me.

Actually that's a gray area too. What if there is a ceiling/wall around? People can tech off those and live at 200%. However if you do it at 999% it becomes insanely tough to tech off of. Someone could easily claim that they aren't stalling, they are just worried the person MIGHT tech it and survive unless they do it to a really high percentage. And that's a valid claim actually I'm just saying why you can't actually designate a percentage for stalling.
Well I'm gonna make another post here and he can continue this in a more appropriate topic later, or just at the triweekly. People can mess up on wall bombing as well, but the only use of wall bombing that is banned is stalling. You CAN use wall bombing to recover. So in a way Wall Bombing isn't entirely banned. Secondly, it is only 1 stock per wobbles, you got 4 stocks right its not that bad. It isn't completely broken and unavoidable, the IC's with wobbles are no Akuma in ST, they are still beatable. IC with wobbles may be top tier but I don't even think they would be above Fox on the tier list even with wobbles taken into account. Maybe I am just a Sirlin nut though and maybe thats just why I differ from all of you. Anyway, I guess if we do Azn's Dirty 'N' Wuss rule I can still get my training in, but I dont really like the unfair advantage you give to the wusses during a tournament but I will live with it.

P.S. guys, sorry I was such a jerk (except to Tony) about this before but I have really been fighting for wobbling for awhile and felt really good that such a tactic was bringing up a bit more. When I saw it was suddenly banned here I sort of snapped about it.
---
Anyway, I got a question about banning neutral stages. You can only ban them after the first match right? So the first match is still set on random with no banning right and just one veto?

Kick

Smash Apprentice
well zack how much did you earn? if youre not sure and dont want to risk your SS# over what you won, then dont. i mean is the money you earned worth the hassle of getting your identity back.

but to answer your question. the only reason people would need you SS# like that is to tax you on it immediately. they do that at the price is right, but thats cuz they give out 1000's of dollars. im not too sure about small earnings like this.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I am 100% sure you did. It was the first time I actually saw the infinite so I remember it distinctly. Azn turned his back to the screen while doing it, and you got out of it.
...Oh.

That.

*dies*

That was REALLY embarassing. I guess I don't remember it because I was pretty much dead that stock anyways, somewhere around 200%. And it was on Yoshi's Story. That did NOT help matters. XD

ASP

Smash Apprentice
Don't mean to be posting so much, but can someone bring SSB64 to the Tri weekly this time maybe? I've been wanting to play you guys at that for a while (never told any of you that I played it competitively), and SOME people don't believe me. I normally play with a keyboard but I'm half decent on a controller. >.> If not that's still cool
lol. *insert real name here* is too good.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Nobody can answer yo questions. And you know why? Cause they couldn't even answer me and JFK's question about his missing gamecube.
JFK actually did get a PM regarding his missing gamecube from one of the Winter Game Fest organizers (although the message wasn't very self-explanatory when I looked over it).

And Zack, I could possibly bring SSB64. But the joysticks on most of my controllers are almost unusable from so many years of playing with them. Do you have your own controller?

Slider619

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to the First ever 619 Tournament. Whoooo!!

Results:

1 Jon
2 Romeo
3 Moises
4 NILF
5 Raul
5 Adam
7 Jiao
7 CDawg
9 Bye
9 Bye
9 Bye
9 Thump
13 Bye
13 Bye
13 Bye
13 Bye

the Byes came in full force. needless to say, Thump never stood a chance. :chuckle:

and special thanks to Rickety and Tony for being our special guests of the evening. too bad the tourny ended just as they arrived.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Giza's Money Matchs : (Max $30) : Remaining~$15-?-?
S. Pat = $10
Boss = $5
Azn_Lep = $?
Slider619= $?

Still Accepting Offers.

Zack353

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, my controller is at my sis' house. Maybe I can get her to bring it to me before the tri. >_>

Rickety

Peace and Love
Special Thanks to Jon for having us over today for his best of 619 tournament thing :] Too fun! :] Where was Bone???

I think that was the only time in history that there were more Red than Blue Harmony members at a smashfest/tournament!

---

*Looks at Triweekly thread*

Keep it Harmonious, everybody! <3
San Diego Love

Top Bottom