• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Jun.

Smash Lord
I was wondering if yoshi had a butt then I realized those eggs need to come out somewhere. Might not be the butt but then does it have something else?

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I was wondering if yoshi had a butt then I realized those eggs need to come out somewhere. Might not be the butt but then does it have something else?
Wow.

I always thought Yoshi was a male dinosaur thingy.

Up until now.

Boy do I feel stupid.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Wow.

This is what an anonymous user of the ultra-reliable Answers.com has to say:

"Some say Yoshi does not have a gender, though the "female" Birdo (who appears in super Mario Brothers II) has a crush on him or her. But, Birdo is a male who thinks he is female.

Back to the question. The answer to the question is yes and no. Some think Yoshi doesn't have a gender. Wrong. Nintendo says that, I dunno why. Here is the explanation:
The characteristics of a male Yoshi are: for behavior more aggressive, for appearance, There is barely any differences from the female but the do have more spikes. sometimes, they can go all the way down his back. The most apparent characteristic that differs from a female Yoshi is that he can't lay eggs. However, there are a lot of males seen in games despite this fact. That's all really. Sometimes, males would lose their spikes from combat, making them easier to ride.

Here are the characteristics of a female Yoshi: Less spikes, ability to lay eggs, calmer too. She has a motherly mind, meaning, when she finds a lost baby or creature, she will take care if it until the parents are found. If you played Yoshi's island, That is a great example of what was explained above. Not make males look bad though but, they would attack baby Mario for coming into his territory or space.

It is unknown how the female Yoshi egg became so popular but probably she uses it to defend herself from predators that may hurt her or her baby. That explains why the female yoshi throws eggs. Yes, she lays eggs. No, she doesn't wear a bow or have big eye lashes. So now you know the difference between a male and female Yoshi!
So, I'd say, Yoshi is a female. The Older ones are males."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Yoshi_a_girl#ixzz1GTFG84tC

lol.

So if the female Yoshis throw eggs, then the one in Melee is definitely a female.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Wait.

The female Yoshi throws EGGS to defend herself and her baby? Don't her babies come out of EGGS? That's like us selling babies to make money for another baby. I just realized that every egg that Yoshi throws has a potential to be a real Yoshi. In this case, Yoshi is definitely a very unforgivingly pro choice creature.

Fly what do you think about this?

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Wait.

The female Yoshi throws EGGS to defend herself and her baby? Don't her babies come out of EGGS? That's like us selling babies to make money for another baby. I just realized that every egg that Yoshi throws has a potential to be a real Yoshi. In this case, Yoshi is definitely a very unforgivingly pro choice creature.

I'm more interested in Birdo's sexual pathology.

From the Wikipedia entry on Birdo:

"Birdo's gender in the original manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 asserts that Birdo is a man who believes that he is a girl, and would rather be referred to as "Birdetta". Later releases of Super Mario Bros. 2 lacked any mention of her gender in either the game or the manual. Nintendo eventually established Birdo as female, first in Mario Tennis which depicted Birdo and Yoshi as boyfriend and girlfriend. However, several games portray her as male, such as Captain Rainbow, or refer to the gender confusion without assigning one, such as in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It has been suggested that Birdo is a post-op transsexual by transsexual video game developer Jennifer Reitz, while Wired editor Chris Kohler felt that it was a way of retconning her transsexual status."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo

Complex stuff.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Yeah me ending up on top is perfect math. It's actually a fact that I played a lot of matches and didn't lose too many (2). What's wrong with me playing my mains and ranking higher than Sunny/Jesse/Eric's secondaries and other characters? Did I also intentionally farm points off someone? The person I played the most was probably Ky (3) but then he played tons of matches with everyone. I believe he played David like 5+, Eric 3-4 and Jesse 3-4. Does that not make sense to you?

Sunny/Jesse/Eric also insisted that they aren't going to play their mains so in order to not misrepresent them in case someone else looked at the rankings, I put character images next to everyone's names. IIRC I even tried to convince them use their mains so that the rankings are more accurate. If anyone who knows who we are takes a look they'll quickly realize that those 3 weren't using their mains.

I don't think I ever even came close to saying that I'm a better player than Sunny/Jesse/Eric because of these rankings, please call me out if I have. Also I haven't heard a single john from any of those 3 players. You seem to be the only one johning for them and I have no idea why. I've also seen you deny more matches than everyone else combined.
you cant say the math is perfect if you say youre worse. the point of a ranking system is to accurately reflect peoples skills which this does not. you cant say that adding points for challenging people messes up the math when it is inherently messed up in the first place.

im not johning for them either. under the conditions they played, they were ranked where they should have more or less.

who did i deny besides you? i ended up playing ian when i should have left. i denied you after i had stayed there longer than i said i was going to and even offered to play you if you then played eric.

youre arguing both for and against the validity of the system. what im saying in essence is choose a side.

if you played them so much them why didnt you challenge me till the last day? i feel so left out.

argument over and out.

as for birdo. this is a terrible subject. just remember that were talking about a cross dressing dinosaur

Jun.

Smash Lord
First off you started with a gaping contradiction in your own post

you cant say that adding points for challenging people messes up the math when it is inherently messed up in the first place.

im not johning for them either. under the conditions they played, they were ranked where they should have more or less.
You just said that a inherently messed up system ranked people correctly. You're clearly the one taking two sides here.

They played their non-main characters so their non-main characters got ranked. I can't force them to play their mains. How the hell is ANY system supposed to rank everyone accordingly if the participants are not going all out? The season ranked people in terms of what characters they played.

Is that really that hard to understand the character they play matters? That people can play whatever character they want? The ranks are completely accurate in measuring the success (wins/losses) and the consistency (number of challenges) of all the players.

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
if we played our mains, played similar # of matches against everyone, this would work.

but eric playing his IC's/zelda.. falco, fox,pikachu,yoshi,kirby, w/e led him to that rank.

which i tap HARDDDD

NO.FEAR

Smash Rookie
if we played our mains, played similar # of matches against everyone, this would work.

but eric playing his IC's/zelda.. falco, fox,pikachu,yoshi,kirby, w/e led him to that rank.

which i tap HARDDDD
you don't want to play your Marth against my Zero.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Wait.

those eggs come from like eating enemies or finding them in an egg block in yoshi's island

so yoshi's can probably lay lots of eggs, and most of them wouldn't be potential babies (like they are empty inside or something). even if they were potential babies, they'd probably need to be fertilized. ergo those eggs are just like some cells inside, so why not use them for defense?

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Wooooo!

I just paid 20 bucks for the Rec class!
Someone else please do it so I won't be the only person enrolled.
:)
yeah, but isn't the class only once a week on saturdays? Do we get access to that room 24/7? I've already said this, but $20 to use a room for 4 hours/week is pretty steep compared to free all the time.

edit:
this is from mario wiki on yoshi genders
Little is known about the gender-differences of Yoshi. The Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Melee states in Yoshi's trophy that Yoshi reproduce asexually, meaning that they reproduce without a mate, and are neither male nor female.

All Yoshi are shown to lay eggs, though not all are used for reproduction. Most are actually used as weapons, as first shown in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. However Game & Watch Gallery 2 and Game and Watch Gallery 4 feature the Chef minigame, in which the main Yoshi is actually seen laying eggs that do hatch.

At least one of the Yoshi in Paper Mario refers to his "son," and in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, the Yoshi who sometimes appears on-board the Excess Express expresses his hatred of business trips due to them keeping him away from his "lovely wife." Additionally, in the original Mario Party, two Yoshi, one specifically male and the other specifically female, hoped to be reunited, and eventually were, though the two did not appear to have a romantic relationship.

Finally, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Otacon states that Yoshi is a male, contrary to Solid Snake's belief. Male pronouns are often applied to Yoshi in his other appearances, though male pronouns can sometimes be given to someone of unknown sex. It should also be noted that the Japanese rarely use gender-specific pronouns at all.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
but eric playing his zelda.. fox

which i tap HARDDDD
WHAT?!

I'll give you Link/Young Link, and maybe even Samus/Roy/Mario just because I'm nice and you don't know the match ups for those chars and I know the Marth one. But Fox/Zelda? You have no match up johns there and what did your dollar AND points say to my Fox again?

I think it was something along the lines of

I

SUCK.

TAKE

ME.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
LOL.

David is just trolling Eric hard.

Eric's Fox legitimately beat David's Marth.
I can vouch.
I saw it happen.

Is anyone playing tomorrow? haha.
If I get enough done today, I'll be at the lodge for a bit.

Also, Jun, saying that is only going to make Eric try to prove that those characters aren't sucky and that he can beat most of us with those characters, which he actually may or may not be able to do.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
hmm this quarter I played the following characters in ranked matches:
:zelda::popo::link2::dk2::ganondorf::samus2: :kirby2::fox::falco::pikachu2::marth::drmario: :roymelee::mewtwo::yoshi2:

I feel like my characters right now are (in order):

:peach:

:pikachu2: in doubles
:sheilda:
:sheik:
:fox:
:zelda:
:samus2:
:pikachu2:
:roymelee:
:drmario:
:kirby2:
:younglinkmelee:
Rest don't matter

Next quarter in ranked matches, I will probably draw the line at Zelda. So now I gotta practice up my Kirby some more... Haha jk. I will probably be playing everyone above Zelda. Mostly Sheik next quarter I believe. If I lose the first match though, I'm gonna have to cp you to New York with Dark Phoenix.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Ew.

What is it with MvC3 creeping into this thread?
I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure MvC2 is still better.
Also, what is it with you noobs playing Pokimanz at smashfests?

Noobs.

EDIT: It is confirmed that MvC3 really does suck. Gambit and Cyclops are not in the character roster. That is a disappointment.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
@eric, i will go after your phoenix. you will suffer

Ew.

What is it with MvC3 creeping into this thread?
I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure MvC2 is still better.
Also, what is it with you noobs playing Pokimanz at smashfests?

Noobs.

EDIT: It is confirmed that MvC3 really does suck. Gambit and Cyclops are not in the character roster. That is a disappointment.
mvc3 is awesome, not sure which i like better personally. the rest of this is truth especially the gambit part

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
The real problem is no Cable, and thus no AHVB.
QFT.

Sentinel is more broken than in 2. At least everyone could infinite Sentinel and you don't get easy RP's to hyper after the frying pan.

Edit: snap Eric's phoenix in and you win. He'll try to CC dsmash but then realize you get ***** for blocking low lawl. But no seriously' wtf is up with the damage in that game. When Sentinel touches you 4 times you're pretty much dead

Jun.

Smash Lord
I have 2 arcade sticks. Baker has 2 for ps3. Radical has a stick also. Its pretty fun and in many ways its melee relatable.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
hahaha.

I am horrible with arcade sticks.
I could never play these games with one.
Is there shame in using a standard controller?
Is there any inherent disadvantage?
Do all of you use one because that's simply how it *has* to be?

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 arcade sticks. Baker has 2 for ps3. Radical has a stick also. Its pretty fun and in many ways its melee relatable.
except no teching. asdfkjajdfkakvj so god damn annoying. you can make stupidly long combos and once you get the first hit its lights out (cought sentinel cough).

combofiends spencer was pretty **** though. might just have to pick him up

Jun.

Smash Lord
There's no shame but I think there's a bit of disadvantage.

The game requires you to press 3 main buttons consecutively. Its probably much more efficient to press them with three different fingers than just one thumb. You can still get pretty damn good and consistent on controller though. I personally think playing on controller and being able to do the same stuff is even more badass.

There are pros who play on pad in other fighting games also.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
hahaha.

I am horrible with arcade sticks.
I could never play these games with one.
Is there shame in using a standard controller?
Is there any inherent disadvantage?
Do all of you use one because that's simply how it *has* to be?
it takes a bit to get used to but i think its much better. you have to use at least 6 buttons (4 of which are needed at all times) and the arcade stick allows you to dedicate a finger to each of those 4 with the other 2 at easy access. the joystick is much bigger and you grip the whole thing (you can grip my arcade stick any day jesse) so its easier to do the motions.

i think the stick is naturally better, but not inherently better. in other words you will likely do better if you learn to play with an arcade stick, but you might be better off with a controller.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
@Jesse
Pretty much Jun said. There are some instances where some moves that require button inputs that would be hard to do on a pad (for example, Storm's lightning attack in MvC2 required....heavy punch light kick? You have only one thumb, what are you gonna do? You could remap the controls and learn the game in your own settings).

Also what Baker said, execution on a stick is much different from execution on a pad (two thumbs and two index fingers vs a hand and five fingers). Try both :D

Edit: Not to mention, if you play on a stick. You can walk into any arcade and play lol.

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Eh... I just realized a san diego smasher named Sizzle has been in Japan for the past few months... I hope he's ok :/...

Top Bottom