• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Jun.

Smash Lord
lol these things obviously do not show legitimate ranks
NEWSFLASH

ALL ranking systems never depict rankings perfectly. Our very own SoCal Power Rankings are a good example. Should Pnoy and Maple in terms of skill be in the top 20? Most likely yes. But ask yourselves why they aren't. It is because the fact that they are not as active as the other players on it and therefore the panelists can't reward true skill due to inactivity. No matter how good a player is, they can't just sit around and expect praise for being the best if they are not involved.

The system is perfectly legitimate and fair at ranking its participants, as long as you play a decent amount of matches.

Saying that the system isn't legitimate is like saying you have a M.D. because you read all the medical textbooks at home.

If you really want to know where you fit in terms of skill between players, play more matches.

I'm not just saying this cause I'm on top. IIRC I have declined zero matches and I went around and actively played or at least challenged everyone on the list except for Sunny who I really don't see much.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Final Standings

Jun :fox:/:marth: - 1656
Sunny :falco:/:falcon: - 1610
Ky :falcon: - 1603
Yuta :falco: - 1543
Radical :marth:/:falcon: - 1531
Jesse :falcon:/:luigi2: - 1517
Tristan :fox:- 1506
Baker :jigglypuff:/:peach: - 1505
Joe Zhang :falcon:/:falco: - 1498
Ian :sheik: - 1491
Brandon :falcon: - 1488
David :yeahboi: - 1486
Dawson :falco:/:marth: - 1482
Anthony :fox:/:101: - 1471
Tom :falcon:/:ganondorf: - 1440
Miguel :peach: - 1444
Eric :zelda:/:popo: - 1433
Andwu :sheik:/:ganondorf: - 1433
Kevin :drmario: - 1427
Kelvin :falco: - 1426

HomeRunTom

Smash Apprentice
My arms are sore.

<3

I think the ranking system for next season could go like this:

- A player must play x number of matches (up to Jun I guess) until they become ranked. However, they will still accumulate (or lose) points as usual even when unranked.

- Player ratings decrease if they're inactive.

ehhh yeaahhh

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
lol.

The rankings start over next quarter, right?
I'm going Falco/Falcon.
Mostly Falco.
Let's go to dinner next Friday or something.
We'll buy Jun some kimchi.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Shamoo #3 Fin

Jun.

Smash Lord
Next quarter there are gonna be some rules to counter people denying matches. Its still in the works. Might or might not be a $1 entrance free for the entire quarter to give people a little more incentive. Also might need 1-2 people to help me out with updates depending on how many more matches people start playing

If anyone wants to give me any serious input feel free as long as its not stupid. Note I tend to think a lot of things are stupid lol.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I can help you with updates.
I am on this regularly so I can can update accordingly.
I actually don't think there is much wrong with this system
if a consistent and adequate number of people are playing regularly.
The SRR's Pat suggested would do well to provide some regulation to the rankings.
Once those are set, I think this system is fairly strong.

Also, did anyone ever deny a match?
It seems there was a lack of challenges more than anything.
I'm definitely guilty of that.

Jun.

Smash Lord
People definitely have denied matches. With some johns along with them.

For future reference if you have disputes or want to protect yourself from my input mistakes (which calculations say there weren't), keep track of your own score. I kept track of 20 people's score this season and I don't think its too much to ask for to keep track of at least yours if you feel like I made a mistake. Once again the calculator is here http://ecochess.com/elocalculator.htm and the k value is 32

I've also been stressing this but if you don't text me, I can't promise updating it just cause you told me or I supposedly saw the match. I try my best to remember but if I have to update some 9 matches between people and yours slipped between the cracks somewhere, you should have followed the standard procedure of texting me which most people were really good about.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Jun refusing to play me yesterday was lame :(

I wasn't trying to sabotage anyone, really. I was just trying to have a hyped match and lots of points on the line = hype usually. Oh well. My fault for initiating my diabolical plan so late. Next quarter I will be playing much better characters if there is a monetary incentive (yeee 5 dollar first prize?!?!)

Jun.

Smash Lord
I punched in numbers out of curiosity

If I lost to Eric yesterday I would have lost -25 (which wouldn't have happened =]). Seems like from at least the 1400 range to the 1600 -25 is the most anyone can lose. If you think about it though its quite a bit considering its 1/4 of 100 points...

If a 1600 loses to a 1400 its -24 points. If he wins its +7. So if he lost he would have to win rougly 3 matches just to get the points back from a loss to an underdog. Sounds very reasonable to me.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Yes, please play Sheik/Peach(?) next quarter!
There is definitely going to be a lot more hype if we all play serious mains, with or without money.
Let's do an 8 man bracket on the Friday of 10th Week.
It'll be the top 8 players in the rankings up until that day and we'll do a "double or nothing" sort of thing.
It definitely depends on how close everyone is to each other, but I think something like this would
generate a lot of excitement and it would definitely simulate a high pressure situation (because it is...haha).

Jun.

Smash Lord
Instead of 8 man bracket in the end it should be an 8 man pool or Swiss to clearly determine who comes out on top IMO. Bracket has a bit of luck involved even if it's seeded. Actually a seeded 8 man bracket from 1-8 sounds decent now.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
if anyone wants me to run a tourny then im down. ill happily skip playing to run one.

the only rule i would change would be to strip the right to challenge if someone denies a challenge for a day or so (warming up first or leaving arent denying challenges of course). challenges should be promoted in every way possible.

could you give a 1/2 point bonus to the challenger or maybe both players? its not something that will change the standings by much but it gives an incentive to challenge.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Climbing the ranks should be enough incentive to challenge. The moment I reward people with points the math of the system will start failing.

It does seem very reasonable that if someone denies a match they can't play for the day. Also if you play a match you can't deny that day either. Because agreeing to a match indirectly means that you are able to play at your full potential and therefore denying another match doesn't make sense unless you really have to leave or something.

All in all, just don't be a ***** lol

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Climbing the ranks should be enough incentive to challenge. The moment I reward people with points the math of the system will start failing.

It does seem very reasonable that if someone denies a match they can't play for the day. Also if you play a match you can't deny that day either. Because agreeing to a match indirectly means that you are able to play at your full potential and therefore denying another match doesn't make sense unless you really have to leave or something.

All in all, just don't be a ***** lol
why are you suddenly worried about the math? i was challenged directly by the person twice, ky left so sunny challenged me and kelvin was disrespecting my peach (although we did kinda agree to play earlier in the week). i got peer pressured into two matches (dawson and ian). i dont feel like i got challenged enough, so giving a slight reward for playing more matches gives some incentive to challenge more, and probably a lot more which is the whole point of this system.

dont be a ***** jun

Jun.

Smash Lord
I was always concerned about the mathematical validity of the system. If you read my earlier post I proved that the system was 99.97% accurate. There is absolutely no reason to add points into a system that is based on gain/loss. That means that ratings are at least slightly improper due to points coming from no where.

The incentive to challenge people is to gain points... lol if you feel like you don't get challenged enough, then go challenge people yourself. That's what I did. No johns.

How am I being a ***** I'm 100% reasonable.

Mr.Rogers

Smash Rookie
Now, now neighbors.

There is no need to resort to insults here.
We want to keep this a friendly neighborhood.
How do we expect to make new friends?

Here is a small excerpt from the forum rules:

"2. No Flaming/Trolling
Respect other users. Flaming (insulting, heated arguing with) other members is not allowed. Demeaning or derogatory comments based on race, religion, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, handicap, nationality, or gender will not be tolerated. Physical threats against and repeated harassment of other members is strictly prohibited. If another user is flaming or harassing you, you should not retaliate--instead, report it to a moderator.

Trolling (intentionally instigating trouble or provoking others through outrageous statements) is not permitted.

* Flaming, minor - 1 point, 5 days
* Flaming - 2 points, 10 days
* Trolling - 2 points, 14 days
* Harassment - Permanent ban, subject to administrator's discretion"

There are to be no "b" words in our friendly part of town.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I hope that Mr.Rogers here isn't a hypocrite

7. No Alternate or Impersonator Accounts
Individuals are prohibited from holding more than one account without express, advance permission from the staff. Alternate accounts may be banned without warning. Any infractions that are issued to alternate accounts may be reissued to the corresponding primary account, in addition to other punishments. Do not create a new account to get around a ban or other punishment; these punishments will simply be extended or made permanent.

Accounts created to impersonate other individuals or entities are not permitted.

which I'm pretty sure mods can see related IPs the accounts were made from?

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
Now, now neighbors.

There is no need to resort to insults here.
We want to keep this a friendly neighborhood.
How do we expect to make new friends?

Here is a small excerpt from the forum rules:

"2. No Flaming/Trolling
Respect other users. Flaming (insulting, heated arguing with) other members is not allowed. Demeaning or derogatory comments based on race, religion, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, handicap, nationality, or gender will not be tolerated. Physical threats against and repeated harassment of other members is strictly prohibited. If another user is flaming or harassing you, you should not retaliate--instead, report it to a moderator.

Trolling (intentionally instigating trouble or provoking others through outrageous statements) is not permitted.

* Flaming, minor - 1 point, 5 days
* Flaming - 2 points, 10 days
* Trolling - 2 points, 14 days
* Harassment - Permanent ban, subject to administrator's discretion"

There are to be no "b" words in our friendly part of town.

I thought you died

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Wooooo!

I just paid 20 bucks for the Rec class!
Someone else please do it so I won't be the only person enrolled.
:)

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, saske234er #3 Fan

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
The Champion stood, the rest saw their better:
Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater

Edit: @Jesse, $20 is steep when we can play for free at the lodge/ky's/anthony's all we want :(
That's understandable and it definitely is a steep price.
I figure it is something worth investing in though just to see how it plays out.
Also, we may not have to deal with the stuffy rooms and overcrowded set-ups that happen from time to time like yesterday. Well, that's if they do indeed provide gamecubes and televisions.

People can go off and play singles and people can go off and play doubles without either group infringing on the other. As it is, Ky's/Anthony's works well for small groups and for people who live closer together and are generally friendlier with each other. Also, we are just generally lacking in set-ups.

I see my 20 dollars as my part of a community investment into more TV's and Cubes. Albeit this logic is a little flawed as these TV's and Cubes won't be ours. hahaha. And we won't have access to them on a regular basis. :(

eh.

Idk.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
I figure it is something worth investing in though just to see how it plays out.
Also, we may not have to deal with the stuffy rooms and overcrowded set-ups that happen from time to time like yesterday. Well, that's if they do indeed provide gamecubes and televisions.

People can go off and play singles and people can go off and play doubles without either group infringing on the other. As it is, Ky's/Anthony's works well for small groups and for people who live closer together and are generally friendlier with each other. Also, we are just generally lacking in set-ups.

I see my 20 dollars as my part of a community investment into more TV's and Cubes. Albeit this logic is a little flawed as these TV's and Cubes won't be ours. hahaha. And we won't have access to them on a regular basis. :(

eh.

Idk.
If overcrowded setups is the problem. Then I say pool our money together and craiglist some TVs for our own use. They'll be ours to use whenever, wherever, and forever. Of course the downside is we have to store them at the lodge, and TVs have gone missing over time. But in all, I'm down to chip in $5 for more TVs. Or perhaps a small venue fee ($2) on Triweeklies (?), but that seems dishonest using funds from tourney for SD's own use...forget that idea lol.

I didn't play at the lodge yesterday but I'd imagine it wouldn't be crowded and stuffy if you guys transitioned into the big room where we hold Triweeklies (assuming you guys didn't already).

Just my two cents as I "study" p-chem.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
I was always concerned about the mathematical validity of the system. If you read my earlier post I proved that the system was 99.97% accurate. There is absolutely no reason to add points into a system that is based on gain/loss. That means that ratings are at least slightly improper due to points coming from no where.

The incentive to challenge people is to gain points... lol if you feel like you don't get challenged enough, then go challenge people yourself. That's what I did. No johns.

How am I being a ***** I'm 100% reasonable.
that was in reference to not accepting erics challenge. i just like messing with people so i was trying to get on your case.

as for the addition of points for playing in games, its just a thought to increase challenges. and as for math, are you really going to tell me that you on top is good math? im not questioning you impartiality, but this is not 99.97% accurate. eric at the bottom isnt either. whether or not it should be accurate is not really in question because from the outset we knew it would theoretically be correct with a much larger pool. the system works for giving people a reason to play serious matches, now lets work on increasing the number of serious matches.

as for challenging people, i have. ive challenged at least 5 people. but my reasoning is that i want to play serious matches. not the points. i dont believe i should be ranked as high as i was, but that isnt important to me. to some people it is, so lets give them a reason to challenge people.

eh.

Idk.
we will be paying for cubes and tv's with that money. As for a further incentive, we will probably have use of those during gamesfest which will help it run much better, which will reflect well on us.

we will also get access to a room for use during smashfests which will be super nice. and if thats not enough, its advertisement to get new people out.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
we will be paying for cubes and tv's with that money. As for a further incentive, we will probably have use of those during gamesfest which will help it run much better, which will reflect well on us.

we will also get access to a room for use during smashfests which will be super nice. and if thats not enough, its advertisement to get new people out.
Yeah, but is it for a single quarter or the entire year? How do you know these details or are you just pulling them out of nowhere?

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but is it for a single quarter or the entire year? How do you know these details or are you just pulling them out of nowhere?
not sure about the quarter vs year, but the expectation was that the class would grow and include more games so it would likely be for multiple years. of course this is all from talking to pat. but he did say that he would have a key to the room

Jun.

Smash Lord
are you really going to tell me that you on top is good math? im not questioning you impartiality, but this is not 99.97% accurate.
Yeah me ending up on top is perfect math. It's actually a fact that I played a lot of matches and didn't lose too many (2). What's wrong with me playing my mains and ranking higher than Sunny/Jesse/Eric's secondaries and other characters? Did I also intentionally farm points off someone? The person I played the most was probably Ky (3) but then he played tons of matches with everyone. I believe he played David like 5+, Eric 3-4 and Jesse 3-4. Does that not make sense to you?

Sunny/Jesse/Eric also insisted that they aren't going to play their mains so in order to not misrepresent them in case someone else looked at the rankings, I put character images next to everyone's names. IIRC I even tried to convince them use their mains so that the rankings are more accurate. If anyone who knows who we are takes a look they'll quickly realize that those 3 weren't using their mains.

I don't think I ever even came close to saying that I'm a better player than Sunny/Jesse/Eric because of these rankings, please call me out if I have. Also I haven't heard a single john from any of those 3 players. You seem to be the only one johning for them and I have no idea why. I've also seen you deny more matches than everyone else combined.

Top Bottom