• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Hey guys thanks for coming today, taco should be putting up videos shortly and I'll post an image of the full Swiss RR when I get home. See you all next week.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Quick shoutouts:
I would like to apologize to everyone that played with me while I raged, which were Engdrew, Anthony, Jun, and especially Kelvin.

@ Kelvin: I'm sorry I raged in teams. It got to the point that I threw out random moves hoping to hit something...which mostly hit you :( I swear I'll get better or find a different character for WGF if you still want to team. As for single pools, you made me realize I depend too heavily on the cape for dealing with falco lasers. Once you stopped lasering and started approaching me I was screwed; you should have won after you bair'd me off to the left on FoD...I just made it back and got a clutch bthrow --> cape.

@ Jun: Sorry I didn't shake hands after losing in single pools. I was still raging at teams. Bad sportsmanship from me.

@ Engdrew: You didn't have to go fox in teams to pity me. I'll find a way around ganon/stop running into stuff in teams eventually.

@ Anthony: Don't worry about CPing me to RC. It's part of the game and you do what you need to do to win haha still believe it's a BS stage though. You've gotten much better at this game; work on your tech skill, get more grabs, and specifically against me: Crouch Cancel my jab and immediately shine--doc can't do **** about getting his jab CC'd (you can CC all the way to 999% since it's set knockback) but to change it up. Good **** beating Engdrew :awesome:

@ Dawson: Doc is a horrible character. You can't change that. A shame you couldn't make this triweekly.

@ Ky: Wish you could have made it along with Dawson. You lost your title as best player on campus D:

@ George: You also make me realize I depend too heavily on the cape. You started shooting above the cape and I jumped into them. FD was a bad choice lol. I hope to see you around after WGF; UCSD can never have too many Falcos.

@ Jesse: Amazing falco. Taking a game off MacD (whose Dsmash ***** Sunny) automatically makes you the best player on UCSD dethroning Ky who took a game off Westballz (who also *****).

@ Sunny: Too good. I still remember first year you got ***** by Eric lol. I don't believe it one bit that you don't get to play at all. You at least practice tech skill with the lights off. 4 stock on stadium....with a little help from the crowd. Thanks for the ride home!

@ Eric: Too good, but thanks to you I play this dumb game. Your set with Sunny probably is my favorite recorded set of the entire tourney haha. I

@ Baker: Thanks for helping me out with starting and stopping capture and calling out the matches. Work at the puff: CC my jabs --> Rest. I have such a bad habit of jabbing everyone including peaches.

and of course

@ Pat: Thanks for running this tournament! The Swiss Round Robin idea was as a success and it only dragged out because people wanted to record everything (?) but I don't think it would work out if we had more players. I slammed down the window and locked the door before we left for Phil's. Although I've sorted the videos by the date it was last modified, the entire tournament excel file would be greatly appreciated

As for non UCSD people:

@ Zhu and MacD: I feel bad for you guys. No one watched your games because everyone was busy cheering for Sunny and Jesse against Hyprid. It's kinda lame traveling all the way to SD just to play each other...2-3 times.

@ Hyprid: Ugh, I have no idea how you can play with an entire crowd cheering against you. I crack when just Jun talks -_-. If we were on Irvine soil, your match vs Sunny would probably end differently.

@ Antopark: I didn't know it was you that I beat at the Triweekly....last year haha. We'll MM Doc Samus next tourney if you're that salty.

Sorry if I missed anyone, kinda wrote what came to my head.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Dude, I have so much respect for SD.
you guys are great. LOL.
phil's bbq *****.
I'll be back for future triweeklies. :D

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Singles Swiss RR

Doubles Swiss RR

Huge thanks to Andrew Andrew and Taco for helping out. Apologie for leaving a few minutes early, some stuff came up that needed my immediate attention. Way to do me proud though SD.

If someone could post how Lucky Fly and Zhu placed, I'll put up the brackets

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Fantastic Triweekly.

UCSD/SD did well.

Great games to everyone I played.

We'll do better the next time we team, Miguel!

Anyway, shouldn't I have 4 wins in that table? hahaha.

-Jesse

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
definitely need to do more of these (and also have more people able to run the tournament).

also, im pretty sure someone chickened out of the ky/combofest MM. next time in irvine

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
... and the brackets/results

Singles
1: Lucky
2: Fly
3: Zhu
4: MacD
5: Sunny
5: Hyprid
7: Shadows
7: Jesse

Doubles
1: Zhu + MacD
2: Lucky + Azn Lep
3: Hyprid + Jkun
4: Boss + Deth

edit: Yes Jesse, yes you should. I must have put that in after the tournament to tarnish your record.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Also note that the bottom half of both Singles and Double RR's 6th round is not accurate/was never played out because the those players' records wouldn't have made them into bracket regardless of the outcome.

eg: I never played Antopark 6th round (could have gotten revenge against me lol)

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I'm proud of SD... 3 people in the top 8 is good :D Jesse is soooo good. Sunny is alright. I guess. Kinda. Someone practice teams with us this week please. We suck in teams.

Also, apologies to Irvine smashers, especially Hyprid. SD would have (and has) cheered against anyone who in that context though, so I hope you don't take it personally.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
sooo clooose to getting in bracket haha. fun tourney guys, ucsd for life

remember, his name is JUNK
haha. I thought it was JUNK-IMCHI and pronounced it like that in my head before I met him in real life and learned his name was Jun. Then it all made sense.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
That's it

I'm paying smashboards to be reborn into Jun
Oh, you want me to label you as Jun instead?

As for your question for MRS, Recalling from my head...we have...3 on the left, 3 in the center with my recording setup, 3 on the other side, and 3 in the other room. 12 setups total. We really had more setups than we needed.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to Bear Jew

I didn't go to the tourney but your name *****
sup bro. i however didnt ****, twas not a very good day for me. despite playing THE TOP 4 TEAMS in doubles (thanks a lot pat) we still won our other two games. then i did a lot to help run singles and got really cold and played horribly.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
@ metalreflectslime: we had 11 setups running and started the singles swiss round robin around 3:30, finishing around 7:15. The bracket took another 70-80 minutes since most the matches were only played on the recording set up. All-in-all things ran really smoothly with only 28 entrants, since there were only 14 matches per round. As long as you remember to get the remaining matches going each round once TVs start to free up, everything pretty much falls into place.

On another note, the actual act of playing through a Swiss RR is pretty taxing. In regular pools you play 5-6 matches in succession, so it feels like your part of the tournament goes by pretty quickly once your pools starts. In Swiss however, there's a lot of down time between each match since some people need to wait for their match and other have to wait for the round to finish. As a result, the whole experience feels a lot longer, especially since people play friendlies on the free TVs as a round is finishing up instead of taking a break. By the end, most the bracket qualifying players were pretty exhausted (6 rounds of Swiss, 2-5 rounds of bracket + friendlies in between).

A lot of the newer players really enjoyed the format though. It's definitely refreshing to not have the pressure of going 2 and out when you're new to the tournament scene.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
@Pat/Huy

One mistake I realized we made (actually ended up correcting it at the end) was that we grouped people up instead of down. It gives better people artificial losses

Like with Lucky. He did really well at the beginning so he rose to the top, but then he had to play the best people and went back down to 3-2 after round 5. By being the best in the 3 win group he almost was grouped up against I think fly, but we instead grouped him down and low and behold he got into brackets and won.

as for smash today, I'm down to play whenever people get here. just send me a text.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
@swiss
It was ridiculously tiring, much more than our usual triweeklies. Everyone was pooped at dinner lol. I'm not sure what to think of the process compared to what we usually do, but I'm really glad we tried it out. I think what made it feel really long for me was that it was it felt like bracket in that it was more than 2 losses = no bracket, and that was what was going on in my head as I played my matches.

@playing today
Me and Sunny are at the lodge. Come

Top Bottom