• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
lol jesse. think you can steal my thunder just cuz you're still an undergrad?! haha

i can't wait to play you in tournament again so you can kill yourself and lose to me embarrassingly =D.

but seriously don't have a falco tournament, falco bothers us enough as it is
haha.

Yeah...losing to you IS pretty embarrassing.
Ooooooooooh burn.
jkjk.

I've been practicing not killing myself against lvl 8 cpu. I think I've got it down.

EDIT: While losing tournament matches because of noob mistakes is definitely bad, I don't think much is worse than having two terrible sets against two different Marth mains recorded and uploaded onto Youtube for anyone to see. I'm not sure I can embarrass myself any worse.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
LOL I love this thread. Jesse is hilarious.

I vote yes on Monday smashfest and dollar tourney on 9th, 15th, or 16th. LET'S DO IT.

btw, Jesse, all the cool kids use level 3.

Jun, I'll Fox ditto you. I'm alright at those.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I use level 8's because it's easier to simulate playing with a human. They don't powershield everything like level 9's do, but still react fast enough with a jab or a smash attack when you screw up an approach or fumble with tech skill. I just assume that every time I screw up and the lvl 8 lands a hit, it is at least 40-50% damage or a whole loss of a stock in "real" match. Of course, lvl 8's don't have any sort of approach beyond walking up to you and grabbing/jabbing so that's one thing you can't really prepare for. They also have terrible DI, so many ridiculous shine combos can be pulled off.

I'm only being half-serious here.

I like lvl 1 Bowser with its handicap set to 9 and mine to 1. Pillaring and waveshining galore. Just don't get hit.

EDIT: Smashfest on Monday, for sure. We really don't have any legitimate school related excuses to not play. Unless you have class at that time, but smashfests are longer than class so you could still drop by for a bit (if you go to UCSD , I guess. I'm sure it's a bit more difficult if you're out of La Jolla).

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I hope he does. Otherwise we'll have a massive doubles rotation going on with the big T.V. haha.
I've posted far too much in the last 24 hours.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I like lvl 1 Bowser with its handicap set to 9 and mine to 1. Pillaring and waveshining galore. Just don't get hit.
I will tell you a Peach secret, because I see from your character thing that you play Peach. Level 1 Bowser w/ 8 handicap and you on 1 + set damage ratio to .5 = best way to practice fc nairs with Peach. Hitting Bowser under that setting is almost the exact same timing as hitting a shield, so it's useful for practicing Peach pillars :)

Also, a few days ago, I was talking to George on AIM and we were talking about how sometimes, you have the dumbest patterns that are painfully obvious to everyone else but you never really notice yourself. We decided that the best way to deal with that and improve would be to play seriouslies and after each one, we tell each other what the other did wrong, how to fix it, etc. I'd appreciate it if everyone'd tell me anything stupid I'm doing, and suggestions and stuff after our matches (ex/ things like my dumb spot dodge spamming when I'm nervous). Of course, I'd be glad to do the same. I want to do well at WGF, with this year's actual competition haha. And I want all of SD to do well too :)

It'd also be cool to sit down with someone for a while and figure out my problem match ups (anything that doesn't fall quickly LOL). If you need help with the Peach, Zelda, or Sheik match ups, just grab me at a smashfest. I'd be down to discuss/practice/play with you. I play a very standard Zelda and Sheik, although my Peach is kinda weird, so I'm not sure how much that would help.

:227: Yaaaay hype :242:

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
If you need help with the Peach, Zelda, or Sheik match ups, just grab me at a smashfest.
why would you ever need help with the zelda match up.

ever.

plus if you REALLY need help, you know who the best zelda around is ;)

on a serious note though we should just tell each other HOW we're beating the other person, i feel like a lot of the time i don't say anything just because i want to keep winning... but no one is gonna get better that way haha. no more abusing stupid **** other people do, lets get hype for wgf.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Yeah. We all have pretty obvious patterns. It's a bit complicated though. We develop patterns around each others obvious patterns since all we do is play each other. These adaptive patterns then become obvious patterns when we play people who are much better at reading and analyzing play styles. I agree that at this point it would be wise of us to point out said patterns and habits to each other, but only if both agree to it or if the other player asks you to. George and I did something similar to that the last time we played and it led to a personal breakthrough for me. haha.

EDIT: There is the slightest chance I do not know what I am talking about. =D

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Er yea ignore my post, George and Jesse articulated what I meant to say a lot better. The part about the matchups still applies though, I guess. If you need matchup help with any of the floaties really, I'll try to help.

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
its possible. maybe we can use a doodle? just like last quarter

BASED ON YOUR WINTER QUARTER SCHEDULE AND COMMITTMENTS: PLEASE INDICATE WHAT TIMES YOU ARE FREE. (doesn't have to be a block or chunk, can be scattered)

http://doodle.com/62742nkitsqqv6mr

for people at UCSD in particular.

dont mind the dates, we'll use this schedule for the rest of the quarter :]

EDIT:

happy new year everyone :D

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Happy New Year San Diego Melee!!!!!

Can't wait to get back to SD tonight and hopefully play some of you on Monday!

-Jesse

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
hey guess who's in SD and down to smash tomorrow?! yo get at me if you guys are free

also happy new year *****es!
Do you mean tomorrow as in later Saturday night or tomorrow as in actual tomorrow? I'd be up for some smash with you if you mean on Sunday. I'm not sure where, but somebody should offer up their place! haha. Pre-smashfest smashfest.

Knee.of.Ky

Smash Apprentice
i will be back sunday! lets do this on sunday-monday-tuesday-and every day!
seriously tomorrow n monday smashfest!!!!

my place is open
though it gonna be cramped there

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I'd be down for all of Sunday until dinnerish time! Let's do our first this-is-why-you-suck session! Yaaaay for improving.

Edit: Also Ky's place would be pretty cool. David hypes up Ian like crazy. I wanna see how he is now in the ultimate test of skill...

Sheik dittos.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I'd be down for all of Sunday until dinnerish time! Let's do our first this-is-why-you-suck session! Yaaaay for improving.

Edit: Also Ky's place would be pretty cool. David hypes up Ian like crazy. I wanna see how he is now in the ultimate test of skill...

Sheik dittos.

I'll be there.

=D

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
of course marco :]

ahahaha i dont think we care its cramped. we play anywhere everyday.

ian should be back by then right?

ill drive the TV's to school on sunday or something. someones gonna have to help me unload all 4 of them :]

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Marco, it's probably gonna be at the 6th college lodge, or in one of the apartments right next to it. As for time I dont really know. I'm down for tomorrow whenever. It has to either depend on when Andrew gets there because he has all the TVs from the lodge. Or when Ky/David gets home I guess.

Looking forward to play that crazy Samus :D

George you should stay!

David your falco sucks, $1 mm falco dittos.

Andrew, I'll help you unload. You're also dumb.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Haha. It seems like a few us are interested in playing tomorrow so I think it should be in the lodge. There is no need to be uncomfortable in a small apartment. As Eric said, though, it really depends on what time the television's are taken to campus or whenever someone goes to Ky's. I probably won't be able to play until noon or some time in the afternoon.

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
Smashfest today/tonight!

My place...oceanside...it's 40 mins from ucsd so man the fudruck up.

We prlly gonna order some pizza too, so get up on itttttt.
Holla
760-277-3522

so far we got:

Me
Maple
Deth
Pnoy
Lgnd + some
Jflo
LHG
More?

Top Bottom