• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

DerpaDoo

Smash Rookie
I love uptilt. It's all about the timing. If someobody doesn't sweetspot the ledge, utilt usually launches them horizontally. Otherwise it's great for characters that are advancing with aerials.

It's all about timing and spacing

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble finding uses for up tilt, what do you guys use for?
Still a decent edgeguard move I think, it has a big hitbox so you can punish people who don't sweetspot the ledge. Also, on stages with platforms at the right height, you can poke enemies from underneath platforms with it. If you can get a good read, you can try using it to fend off air approaches, but its usually too slow for me in that scenario.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Bombs become active on hit after a certain amount of frames regardless of the type of move connecting with it. You can test this in training mode. Drop a bomb without anything touching it and see how long it takes to explode then do the same thing dropping it on the opponent. You'll see it explode sooner when it is touching the opponent.
Thanks for replying! :) I've known that my hypothesis was flawed for a little while now, but I didn't want to post further on the matter without something substantial (like video evidence) to back it up. I recognize that I'm a new user, so what I post isn't to be taken at face value. ^_^

I've also been experimenting with down custom 3, the power bomb, since I hope the bigger hitbox and presumably the bigger and more lingering hurt box should make it a very effective spacing tool, but I've been unable as of now to get that to activate early on melee attacks like Marth's sword swing, though I'm testing against a CPU that doesn't always swing the sword on command like I would want. :-/ I'll keep testing, though.

(Aww, I meant to post this yesterday...oops, lol)

otter

Smash Ace
I've also been experimenting with down custom 3, the power bomb, since I hope the bigger hitbox and presumably the bigger and more lingering hurt box should make it a very effective spacing tool, but I've been unable as of now to get that to activate early on melee attacks like Marth's sword swing, though I'm testing against a CPU that doesn't always swing the sword on command like I would want. :-/ I'll keep testing, though.

(Aww, I meant to post this yesterday...oops, lol)
welcome to smashboards! just wanted to let you know that you probably meant "hitbox". "hurtbox" refers to the area where a character is vulnerable. when a hitbox meets a hurtbox, the hurtbox takes damage.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Hopefully the 1.0.4 balancing update fixes some of Samus's major issues, particularly the jab problem.

otter

Smash Ace
I don't know if jab was accidental. It might just be a way of encouraging you to use bombs.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Why would samus opt to use bombs over jab?

If they patch Samus at all, all I really want would be Melee bombs and slightly stronger super missiles. They don't have to be Melee strength but being stronger than they are now would be much appreciated.

otter

Smash Ace
just meant that you can jab into bomb to make it safe or combo into the second jab. it's pretty intuitive.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Haha, well I meant it sounds like a lot of work for one jab. But if it works it works I guess.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
welcome to smashboards! just wanted to let you know that you probably meant "hitbox". "hurtbox" refers to the area where a character is vulnerable. when a hitbox meets a hurtbox, the hurtbox takes damage.
Thanks for the warm welcome! ^_^

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct term to describe the phenomenon, but I'm willing to describe what I mean for greater precision, and if I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen and learn to understand better.

Once you place a bomb, based on my understanding, it activates under 2 conditions:

(1) Timer - After a certain amount of time, it will go off. Period.

(2) Hurtbox Activation - That means, when your opponent uses an attack, and the opponent's hitbox intersects with the bomb's hurtbox, the bomb is activated. This neutralizes many projectiles, and can hurt opponents if their hitbox and hurtbox aren't disjointed. This isn't a hitbox activation, because a character can freely walk through the area of the bomb without activating it (until the timer goes off). My understanding of this might still be flawed, because it's hard to get a CPU to attack a morph bomb for proper testing. I'm specifically interested in testing this against Marth, because I want to see if he can swat the bomb to remove it from the field without taking damage, but again, CPU doesn't do what I want it to. It might only activate on certain types of attacks, and not others.

I hope that makes sense. ^_^

just meant that you can jab into bomb to make it safe or combo into the second jab. it's pretty intuitive.
Jab doesn't have enough hitstun to make it safe to place a bomb. Jab 1 doesn't have enough hitstun to combo properly into jab 2. For me, I don't think I'd use a bomb while my opponent is within range of jab, because placing a bomb is punishable at that range. I think placing a bomb should only be used when my opponent is still spaced far enough out that I can place the bomb before they can finish their approach and hit me, but that's just me. :)

Last edited:

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
If you're playing Samus and are not expecting/having to do a lot of work, you're either Zero Suit or Mii Gunner with a Samus helmet.
Sure, Samus takes effort, but forcing a special just to get a 2-hit jab combo seems a bit excessive.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's nothing 'forced' about it, though. In fact using tilts, a Smash, or even shooting a projectile/grabbing guarantees virtually the same effect.

Basically one step forward, two steps back, but with explosions/punches.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
/does anyone get what i was trying to say about jab, or am i just crazy?
I think I do, but there's a high chance I don't.
Bomb a bit beside them > Jab 1 knocks them into the bomb > Jab2/whatever?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
/does anyone get what i was trying to say about jab, or am i just crazy?
I too would be interested to know what you meant, because I assumed the same as @ Sausage Zeldas Sausage Zeldas . :) There is video footage of a Japanese player who uses bombs extensively, especially against big chars. In the footage, she (pronoun chosen because Samus is a girl; don't know anything about the Japanese player) uses jab simply because it's the least laggy move she could use to avoid being put in morph ball while the bomb explodes. Is that what you were talking about?

EDIT: Grammer T_T

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
I too would be interested to know what you meant, because I assumed the same as @ Sausage Zeldas Sausage Zeldas . :) There is video footage of a Japanese player who uses bombs extensively, especially against big chars. In the footage, she (pronoun chosen because Samus is a girl; don't know anything about the Japanese player) uses jab simply because it's the least laggy move she could use to avoid being put in morph ball while the bomb explodes. Is that what you were talking about?

EDIT: Grammer T_T
Right. i just meant that jab being unsafe might have been a way for the developers to help us realize that.

btw, how to you avoid going into morph ball when it explodes and what moves can do it?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Right. i just meant that jab being unsafe might have been a way for the developers to help us realize that.

btw, how to you avoid going into morph ball when it explodes and what moves can do it?
Shield release prevents you from going into morph ball, I believe that has the least lag.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987

I'm pretty sure you'll only go into morph ball if you're in a passive (standing, running, falling, etc.) animation, so just do any attack or, as Rohins said, shield release.
EDIT: It seems some moves, like Nair, have low enough ending lag that you'll catch the very end of the explosion and still go into morph ball mode.
EDIT2: Landing and charging your charge beam also prevent it. Also having someone grabbed. Add something to your already pretty nice pummel damage.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I do not like the CC Pro at all for playing as Samus.

They didn't have the GCN adapter at the demo I went to, unfortunately. I actually think I'll be using Wii remote/Nunchuck again.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
So...do any Samus experts on here feel any post 1.04 changes? Did they maybe fix the problem with her jab that I've heard about?

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Edit: I have tested all damage changes between the transition from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4.

I tested all the damage percentages on this page: supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Samus_(SSBWU/3DS)
I don't know if this page was updated since the release of 1.0.4 but I'm willing to bet it wasn't.

How I tested these precentages was by going into training mode using Marios as punching-bags and manipulating the speed. I reset the scene everytime a move was used so that no attack got stale.

Anyhow, the results I got damage wise are all the same as what is listed on the page with ONE exception. Samus's forward tilt sweetspot only does 7 damage instead of 8. I tried my best with the speed at 1/4 but I could never get an 8 percent. Apparently, this is her only nerfed move. No buffs damage wise.

Big thing here: Her jab combo is still unreliable FROM WHAT I CAN TELL. Tested it in training at 1/4 speed with marios in walking mode. They started their walking animation just before the second hit landed. I haven't been able to test this with someone like fox to see if they have enough time to attack.

I don't have videos because something as simple as these tests are easily replicable by everyone.

I would test frame-date and such but I only have a copy of 1.0.4.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Wait, forgot to test special move damages.

I used a different source this time since the old one took too long to load. Using one of Smashboard's own guides:
smashboards.com/guides/samus-guide-wip.52/

Same method used to test these damages.

Nothing different. No damage changes and bombs still only detonate by timer. So frustrating to see no buffs to a character needing them.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Apparently missile speed and Fsmash and USmash knockback was increased, could you test this?

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
I think fsmash lingers a little now. Don't have a test partner now, but I used Fsmash to counter a roll a little early, and was surprised to see it hit anyways. Was a fast game though, so I might be seeing things.

angelar

Smash Rookie
Samus's forward tilt sweetspot only does 7 damage instead of 8. I tried my best with the speed at 1/4 but I could never get an 8 percent.
there has been no change in FTilt's damage from 1.0.3.

1.0.3:
Ftilt (forward) 6-7 damage
Ftilt (up) 7-8 damage
Ftilt (down) 7-8 damage

these values are still the same in 1.0.4. i posted these proofing someone's guide a couple of weeks ago (here: smashboards.com/threads/samus-guide-wip.374922/#post-17859772)

the wiki simply fails to detail FTilt's damage ranges properly.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Missiles are definitely faster.

You actually can't fire/have more than two homing missiles at a time outside of customs now. Prior to this, firing them quickly enough in succession resulted in a "blank" shot. The missile is fast enough for you to fire the third just as the 1st explodes.

angelar

Smash Rookie
i'm not noticing a difference in missile speed testing the two versions side by side on different 3DSes with the same settings

i also have never seen homing missiles shoot a blank. super missiles sure, but not homing. i'm not able to reproduce it on either version, either

Last edited:

Smalt

Smash Rookie
Missiles are definitely faster.

You actually can't fire/have more than two homing missiles at a time outside of customs now. Prior to this, firing them quickly enough in succession resulted in a "blank" shot. The missile is fast enough for you to fire the third just as the 1st explodes.
Missiles are the same. Only super missiles can blank shot.

I just finished testing the knockback of all of Samus's attacks using the 150% Mario method between versions 1.0.1 and 1.0.4. Every attack is exactly the same with no changes to knockback. I didn't see any damage changes either.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Either we don't have an in depht guide for samus to read with techs & stuff, or I'm just very very stupid and can't find one.
I though she was pretty nice to play, and looked for one. Anyone?

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
there has been no change in FTilt's damage from 1.0.3.

1.0.3:
Ftilt (forward) 6-7 damage
Ftilt (up) 7-8 damage
Ftilt (down) 7-8 damage

these values are still the same in 1.0.4. i posted these proofing someone's guide a couple of weeks ago (here: smashboards.com/threads/samus-guide-wip.374922/#post-17859772)

the wiki simply fails to detail FTilt's damage ranges properly.
Thanks for correcting me.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Apparently missile speed and Fsmash and USmash knockback was increased, could you test this?
I am unable to do much without a copy of 1.0.3 (I only have one 3ds). Damages was all that I can do, sorry.
If anyone needs help with say something specific like a grab or a set-up otherwise difficult to get the CPUs in training mode/Smash mode to do I can help (just keep in mind I'm limited to 1.0.4 version). We just need to have a simultaneous Smash over the internet and a skype/Chat session.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Either we don't have an in depht guide for samus to read with techs & stuff, or I'm just very very stupid and can't find one.
I though she was pretty nice to play, and looked for one. Anyone?
There are a lack of guides, even on Smashboards. Last I checked, the only Samus guide was WIP, hasn't been updated for a while, and was heavily criticized.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Just played a bunch of samus dittos with a "Samoose" in for Glory... would love to get dat friend code one day...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
My thread will be updated with info and vids non stop once I get the game in 24.5 hours.

Top Bottom