• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus players and awesome sigs.

The Super Metroid on virtual console is too good.
Hear, hear!

If you like speedrunning (LOL right as I'm typing this the "samus appearance fanfare" from Super Metroid just came on... ok it's over now) and sequence breaking you should try the NBMB (no boss/miniboss) run. Basically, get as many items as you can without fighting any bosses or minibosses (save for the first chozo boss you encounter, of course - gives you bombs). It's fun up until Meridia, but after that it gets kind of stupid... you could at least play up until there and then go back and fight the bosses and stuff again, that's kind of fun.

Hardest part up until Meridia will be running through Norfair without a varia suit (now that I think about it, I wonder if I tried that my first time playing the game, since I didn't know where to find the Varia suit... hm...), which is actually pretty short-lived (well... getting the Wave Beam is a little tough I'll admit) but other than that it deosn't take too much skill (unless you're going through Meridia, which is ridiculously annoying). Actually, I just remembered, the run takes you through Lower Norfair, which I haven't even tried to attempt yet because it's so tough, but anyway... Try it out? It's fun, builds character, etc ;)

(Hint: Classic Controller sucks, use GC controller instead. Or play on console :))

(Also I may be lying a bit about the difficulty no-varia suit-norfair, but suck it up :p)
Well, if you want to see how it really looks... here: http://www.archive.org/details/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_divx

Geist

Smash Master
Hear, hear!

If you like speedrunning (LOL right as I'm typing this the "samus appearance fanfare" from Super Metroid just came on... ok it's over now) and sequence breaking you should try the NBMB (no boss/miniboss) run. Basically, get as many items as you can without fighting any bosses or minibosses (save for the first chozo boss you encounter, of course - gives you bombs). It's fun up until Meridia, but after that it gets kind of stupid... you could at least play up until there and then go back and fight the bosses and stuff again, that's kind of fun.

Hardest part up until Meridia will be running through Norfair without a varia suit (now that I think about it, I wonder if I tried that my first time playing the game, since I didn't know where to find the Varia suit... hm...), which is actually pretty short-lived (well... getting the Wave Beam is a little tough I'll admit) but other than that it deosn't take too much skill (unless you're going through Meridia, which is ridiculously annoying). Actually, I just remembered, the run takes you through Lower Norfair, which I haven't even tried to attempt yet because it's so tough, but anyway... Try it out? It's fun, builds character, etc ;)

(Hint: Classic Controller sucks, use GC controller instead. Or play on console :))

(Also I may be lying a bit about the difficulty no-varia suit-norfair, but suck it up :p)
Well, if you want to see how it really looks... here: http://www.archive.org/details/SuperMetroid_NBMB72_divx
lol I was addicted to Super Metroid on the SNES and I have it on my computer emulator as well. I've played it more than I'd like to admit -___-
I think I've done the no-varia suit challange, as well as random things like beating it with as little energy tanks as possible (I think I've beaten it with just 3 or 4. I'm due for another try soon), no boss/miniboss sequence breaks, and doing TAS runs :D

one thing I want to see is a remake of the classic metroid done in 3-d metroid prime style.
There's some profit in there.

duals

Smash Journeyman
one thing I want to see is a remake of the classic metroid done in 3-d metroid prime style.
There's some profit in there.
The reason why this would never happen is because its a good idea..... ever since the wii came out, nintendo dosen't like good ideas......

"Want a dvd player? TOO BAD!"

The reason why this would never happen is because its a good idea..... ever since the wii came out, nintendo dosen't like good ideas......

More like "Want a game that really captures the dark, cavern-lost experience of Metroid while retaining Samus' ever-so-mysterious classy, lonely, superior, bounty hunter feel?

Too bad! Welcome to the kid-friendly toned-down MP3, "Sammy"! "

On that note, that's why I was saying a remake of Metroid II would be sweet. Technically the first Metroid has already been remade (Metroid Zero) but also, the kraid/ridley/norfair type experience is a little... old-ish now.

Really, I wish they could have done this in Metroid Prime:

But yeah - probably wouldn't have fit in the storyline or something...

Anyway, Metroid II in 3D would be kind of crazy, since Metroid II doesn't have the standard "areas" that you go to and backtrack to, etc - it's just got deeper and deeper mazes in it (where the point is fighting the same ol' metroids again and, which could be sweet if certain 'oh noes my health is already low!'-type devices were employed. Also you still only get a few Energy Tanks in that game, and can only switch between one weapon at a time, which, well I'm already thinking of cool ways they could do that... and then the "sticky" ball... that could work out maybe as well... if they... and then the evolving metroids... would be so sweet... and not being able to go back (or wanting to) go back to the surface...

Dang. Alright, time to go work for Retro Studios >_>

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah, metroid is too good. There honestly isn't a metroid game in existance that isn't best-seller material. last time I checked, all of them are.
I surprisinly havn't played metroid 2, and if I have, I can't remember. D:
Wow.

OSNAP

Yeah, metroid is too good. There honestly isn't a metroid game in existance that isn't best-seller material. last time I checked, all of them are.
I surprisinly havn't played metroid 2, and if I have, I can't remember. D:
Wow.
Heh, Metroid is good.

(oh my... metroid discussion ahead, dear-me...)

My (short) opinion is... honestly, I was a little disappointed in Fusion for having lack of free exploration until the end (but it did really well in other areas). Fusion is pretty cool (especially for tense music and scary areas, good job there). With Zero Mission, you have free exploration but absolutely no sequence breaking whatsoever practically -_-, though I really like it for its secrets, abrupt interruption in the middle, and payback time at the end. Zero Mission is sweet (but short -_-).

Prime 2 had too much similar atmosphere/areas and enemy-fighting-mechanics, plus the annoying ammo situation (annoying to me). But... its secrets were a bit more well-hidden than in the other two, and it gets the award for having a sweet boss the size of the biggest room in the game. Plus graphics were a bit revamped. But... story didn't really move forward much...*sigh*.

Prime 3... gawsh... don't get me started -_-. But... had cool scenery, and its new control system was sweetest thing ever, and it made boss fights, etc, pretty fun.

I still have yet to play the first Metroid past like... the long beam, even though I have it on my GBA (unlocked), Prime (unlocked), maybe even Animal Crossing >_>, who knows lol.

Metroid II is sorta gay for most people. Like even though I was just saying how a remake of it would be sweet, playing through it, unless you like keeping track of areas based on their shape and remembering where you are on an intuitive-based sense of direction... yeah. It's for the gameboy, so the whole thing is in black and white. Which means your rooms are based on textures. It's soundtrack is pretty creepy at times, and repetitive areas make you go crazy trying to remember where you are at times, not to mention the game has the hardest-to-find secrets ever, lol (which I enjoyed, actually - made the game a GREAT time-killer on road trips). However, it introduces the spring ball, spider ball, spazer beam, plasma beam, and space jump, and it gives the Varia suit a boost with it's shape/size and not just color, as well, Samus looks more awesome overall - (hardcore, menacing, 'too-cool', whatever). Plus, it has one of the most key plots in the series, where Samus is basically eradicating every Metroid save for one, setting up the plot for the next game, Super Metroid. I guess people consider this a linear game, but to me, not so much, only because of how confusing the areas can be at times... hm...

Metroid Prime was great. I have my (many) nitpicks about it, but if I could pick one 'large' detail about it, I wish the game could be darker, graphically as well as emotionally.

Super Metroid is like a perfect game to me. My only complaint is that it could be longer/larger than it is, but it's basically perfect otherwise.

...which is why those last two are best sellers for sure...

Well, I tried for a short opinion... hm... my full opinion would probably span several pages >_>
Time to write angry letters to Retro Studios <_<

Ok one more thing. In Smash Brothers, let's look at the top tier down to Samus for second:

Fox
Marth
Sheik
Falco
Peach
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ice Climbers
Samus

Ok. What other Smashers can say "Man, [my character] is so cool because of their awesome games and epic storyline and mysteriously unique personality." Fox? No. He saves the day shooting bad guys and talking smack to Star Wolf, but other than occasionally saving his whiney teammates from their doom, what else is there to his character? Samus could do all that and better.

Marth is a no-name character to the general US-gamer audience, so he's got nothing except beingaprickism.

Sheik is featured in what, one Zelda game? And she's not even a full character - it's a costume for Zelda when she's trying to hide from people. And?

Falco, besides being uber-cocky, is just a side-kick in Fox's game.

Who could ever say anything good about Peach? Gets captured, can't do anything besides whack Toad (a good guy) with her umbrel- excuse me, parasol, and her character development is puddle-deep at best. She was good in Mario Kart, but... ???

Captain Falcon, while being the epitome of manliness, is just a general character otherwise. I mean he wouldn't even have been known as he is today if it weren't for Smash Brothers - what, like you really chose the Blue Falcon because of the driver? No, you chose Dr. Stewart because you were gay and thought 4 engines was cool, or Samurai Goroh's Fire Stingray because you liked being the fastest, 2nd-buffest pink car with flames on the back, and no one could tell you otherwise. Samurai Goroh is even more developed than Captain Falcon. And seriously - how un-cool is the name Douglas?

No one plays Pokemon thinking they're going to take on the Elite 4 with Jigglypuff. No one.

Ice Climbers is again one of those lame games that Nintendo decided to randomly pull characters from. Have you played that game? It sucks. Try to get to the top of a mountain without getting knocked off. And then what? Do it again. Real ingenuity there, guys - exploding with innovation. Joust is a more exciting game than Ice Climbers - at least it involves a fight to the death for the duration of the game. Also, one game. One. You see any Ice Climber remakes? No. And there never will be (hopefully).

And then we get to Samus. I'll her speak for herself... well... heh, she never even has to do that now, does she? Quick comparison: Gordon Freeman never speaks a word in his games, yet he still manages to get the job done and make it look like it was nothing. Blow up helicopters with RPGs while running from giant robots that went on to raid the towns in War of the Worlds, and then blow up the most secure building in the city, single-handed? And that was just one game...

someonecutmyhandsoff

duals

Smash Journeyman
I only liked one thing is metroid prime two...... and that was the light suit..... hence my avatar.....

Geist

Smash Master
Heh, Metroid is good.

My (short) opinion is... honestly, I was a little disappointed in Fusion for having lack of free exploration until the end (but it did really well in other areas). Fusion is pretty cool (especially for tense music and scary areas, good job there). With Zero Mission, you have free exploration but absolutely no sequence breaking whatsoever practically -_-, though I really like it for its secrets, abrupt interruption in the middle, and payback time at the end. Zero Mission is sweet (but short -_-).
The one thing Fusion had going for me was its secrets. It took me a while before I got 100% in it, even longer than the classic metroid on the NES.
I dunno though, from what I remember, Zero mission was pretty closed off until you got to the ending of game, but my memory is kind of shady on that one. Fusion was completely closed off until the very end though... that computer was too controlling.
SA-X was cool though. In terms of sequence breaking though, there was a way in fusion to kill SA-X before the final battle. It didn't do much to mess with the story, because they say themselves that there was more than one -____-

Prime 3... gawsh... don't get me started -_-. But... had cool scenery, and its new control system was sweetest thing ever, and it made boss fights, etc, pretty fun.
Prime 3 was brawlified. Nintendo is keeping to much attention to the casuals. I noticed Prime the third was nerfed in difficulty in alot of ways. Mostly because they had a new control scheme, but those pesky casuals had something to do with it, I'm sure. But it still pulled through. It's probably one of the best games on the Wii.

*tangent*

speaking of nerfed difficulties, what the bloody hell happened to Twilight princess? I'm pretty sure I can beat every single boss at the same time if they were all in the same room if I was blindfolded, had one hand cut off, and was forced to emergency land an airliner at the same time.
There were common enemies that were harder than Zant, who they convinced you with very effective climactic cutscenes that he had more power in his pinky than you did in your entire body.
The rest of the game didn't dissapoint at all, especially the dungeons and the vast amount of secrets, but the bosses... the bosses...
/rant

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
With Zero Mission, you have free exploration but absolutely no sequence breaking whatsoever practically -_-, though I really like it for its secrets, abrupt interruption in the middle, and payback time at the end. Zero Mission is sweet (but short -_-).
What? Zero Mission was all about sequence breaking. You could beat Ridley before Kraid, skip everything from the Varia suit to Super Missiles, etc.

very nice...... but no light suit....
lol

My personal fav is the original Phazon Suit... that's like the epitome of Samus suits imo.

What? Zero Mission was all about sequence breaking. You could beat Ridley before Kraid, skip everything from the Varia suit to Super Missiles, etc.
Well... ok. I kind of made a dumb statement before, lol. You're right - you can sequence break. Actually let me back up: You can sequence break a lot of things. So my statement was very wrong. I think I was trying to sum up a feeling I had about things without going into detail,but I'll admit, I've only played the game twice, so... but if you want to know... read on... if you don't want to know... skip this post! Otherwise:

Here's a list of items in the game you can skip:

Super Missiles
Power Bombs
Long Beam
Charge Beam
Wave Beam
Varia Suit
Speed Booster
High Jump Boots + Spring Ball
Screw Attack

Here's what you can't skip:

Ice Beam
Plasma Beam
Morph Ball
Morph Ball Bombs
Space Jump
Gravity Suit
Power Grip

Alright. I guess what I meant to say was, I felt like the "sequence breaking" in that game was controlled - that is, the developers recognized that parts could be skipped, and "allowed" you to do certain things in different ways. I mean, some of the 'secrets' in that game are like... so planned out, even though you think "man I'm doing something cool," they kind of kill it with "wait... that's what they wanted me to do..."

I consider myself to be a good game-breaker/secret-finder in general. In Zero Mission, on my own, and with little trouble it seemed, I found out how to infinite bomb jump sideways and collect a missile tank early, get the Varia Suit early, Screw Attack early, and defeat Ridley before I beat Kraid. But even that felt almost... forced, because there's no real reward for doing so. Even horizontal bomb-jumping seems like it was made to happen (because of the easiness of bomb-jumping in general in that game).

(I could have skipped stuff [the unnecessary beams and high jump, etc.] too, but I didn't want to, since it was my first time playing through the game.)

Ah, I'll stop there, but I'd go on to argue differences between Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, and Zero Mission if I could (except I don't remember that much about Zero Mission). Has to do with what's rewarding to skip, what's necessary and requires many obstacles to overcome, etc. What I do remember, though, is that in some areas, I could pull off a bunch of fancy moves to get past a certain area, but when I got there, they'd just throw on another obstacle, as if the first 2-3 weren't enough, and then I wouldn't be able to get past it because I felt like the developers were like "No, even if you can get past this first part, we still won't let you get past this next part" and they'd block it with something really simple, yet impossible to bypass without a certain item (that you couldn't get from somewhere else first, etc).

Bottom line, even with sequence breaking, the game still felt linear and a bit unrewarding even afterwards. Mm? (But I guess it's mostly opinionnow unless I argued... oh well... point doesn't need to be argued further >_> lol).

edit:

Wow, I just googled "zero mission sequence breaking"
he's right.

*plays zero mission*
...rather sequence break SM or MP1/2... -_-
heh.

Corigames

Smash Hero
No...?

Wall jumping isn't that hard. You just have to watch for the animation of her turned sideways before jumping. After you get it down, have fun ruining (or having fun with if you see it that way) Super Metroid :D

xatavor

Smash Rookie
That's no reason not to make additional sigs and show them off and stuff!!

xatavor

Smash Rookie
I said I would make some. and I will have my own sig - in time. I must create the perfect sig for Xatavor! I didn't have anything fancy in mind for myself, some clean and simple, and small.

I was just saying that the fact that you already have a sig is no reason not to make more! That and people had stopped posting sigs for a handful of pages and it was making me sad.

Edit: Oh yeh, Rohin's sig is the most tubular!

Corigames

Smash Hero
The one I have is one phanna made for me... kinda. I'm only proficient in MSpaint when it comes to digital media creation, and I know that isn't saying much. I'm not an artist in that fashion; I never was.

However, it's still an awesome sig, and I don't think having another one matters. It looks good, does its job, and people are familiar with it. I mean, people were talking about how it was harder to distinguish me when I changed my title to director and made my avatar a metroid. I bet it would be even more problamatic to get a new sig.

No, this one is fine.
:)

duals

Smash Journeyman
I mean, people were talking about how it was harder to distinguish me when I changed my title to director and made my avatar a metroid. I bet it would be even more problamatic to get a new sig.
i can be the proof of that....

Top Bottom