• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Ah yeah was gonna post this, some notes I made after watching:
  • I F-Smash a bit too much near kill percents, fortunately Gren can't kill from Throws unless I'm very high percent or DI poorly
  • Didn't really get any edgeguard kills, need to trump more and go deeper for spikes
  • I buffer roll too predictably from a few options, spotdodge or hitbox mix up would be good
  • Short Hop too much sometimes, mixing up with other movement options could be better
  • Platform drop through Reverse CS is v good for catching people off guard and relieving platform pressure
  • Empty land to jab is really nice from 40%+ you can see some good examples of this throughout but particularly at 7:15
Overall I find this matchup really difficult, Greninja is much faster than us on both the ground and in the air, and his jump height means combatting his angle of approach without riskily throwing out something pre-emptively is very difficult. His Nair can't be Up B OoS or grabbed, his Shurikens are great at harassing and interrupting Charge time, he's small so walling him out with Zair is difficult and Up Air > Jab doesn't work because Jab goes over him ;-; and he can DI out of our D-Throw reallllllllly easily. Finally the biggest thing is landing safely is extremely difficult, his jump height and fall speed mean he can harass us nearly anywhere and fall back to safety quickly. Or he can wait on the ground with his dash grab (much better frame data than his pivot/standing and has v good range) and Up Smash as a constant threat, with his Dash speed being quick enough to track bomb mix ups fairly easily.
I watched parts of the video, nice play there man. Why is the video so long, how many sets were played?

Thanks for posting your feedback after watching your matches, very valuable stuff for us to study and learn.

One comment I had: one thing I like to do when I'm off stage trying to recover, especially if I'm not deep, is to use bombs as a sort of stall / mix-up to avoid getting punished by ledge guarding. I don't think I saw you do that too much in the moments I watch, is that intentional? Is it just a preference for Samus mains? Or maybe I'm mistaken that it really even helps.

EDIT: Ah, you just mentioned bomb stalling in the match-up discussion thread when talking about Marth. Maybe I should just watch the whole Greninja video.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I watched parts of the video, nice play there man. Why is the video so long, how many sets were played?

Thanks for posting your feedback after watching your matches, very valuable stuff for us to study and learn.

One comment I had: one thing I like to do when I'm off stage trying to recover, especially if I'm not deep, is to use bombs as a sort of stall / mix-up to avoid getting punished by ledge guarding. I don't think I saw you do that too much in the moments I watch, is that intentional? Is it just a preference for Samus mains? Or maybe I'm mistaken that it really even helps.

EDIT: Ah, you just mentioned bomb stalling in the match-up discussion thread when talking about Marth. Maybe I should just watch the whole Greninja video.
It's so long because we play 3 stocks in England (and generally Europe) and it's 9 games because I reset bracket in grand finals in 5 games (game 1 is missing) then the 2nd grand finals set is another 5 games.

And no I didn't bomb stall in this MU because I was worried about Greninja's Up B knocking me off course and missing my bomb jumps etc. also Greninja can't really threaten Up B very well so I didn't feel the need to

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
So I got to face Marss last night on stream....I started out great but flubbed then died. Then he Dittod me....and lost hard again haha. I'll find the video and link it.

http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/v/36470025

56min in

I did make run backs and came in 9th/72 tho. Hopefully I can sharpen up lol

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
So I got to face Marss last night on stream....I started out great but flubbed then died. Then he Dittod me....and lost hard again haha. I'll find the video and link it.
It's always demoralising when a good player reks you, then decides to ditto you with a character they probably barely ever play and they still rek you :(

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I was going to post this in my previous post since it seemed weird to only talk about Samus and balance, but whatever. From what tamisuma.jp aka terminalkai, 7 sets between Samus and DK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5jaIQ2A58. Apparently, it's a crew battle. Anyway, if you wanted to see how the DK MU is like from different players of varying skill and play style, then this might be the video for you. It might not be the cleaniest gameplay, but it's something.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ffamran Ffamran that's interesting. I think they are still quite far behind on the meta, maybe 6 months or more. I'm a little shocked no one managed in all those sets even the basic dash up-air x 2 up-B on one of the biggest, easiest targets for it and numerous opportunities. Even their basic aerial follow ups are not up to speed. Really confusing stuff: for some reason they're doing up-air (soft) -> dsmash and then NOT following up the d-smash at all, they just sit there. Their offstage was universally wtf, DK has 2 angles he can recover from, what they did made no sense. They didn't kill his necessarily horizontal recovery even once with a CS. Instead they threw CS directly into his shield, repeatedly, over and over again.
If Sakurai sees this he's probably going to think "she's fine, they still have no clue what they're doing with her." That bodes poorly.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah I'd say the Light Suit Samus after Dark Suit Samus was the best but all seemed a bit unfamiliar with the match up (way too little respect for DKs Bair, Shielding on platforms too much) nothing particularly impressive overall and yeah the edgeguarding was non-existant

Edit: Also way too much Zair spam, if you do it that predictably DK can just Dash Attack under it

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Not a lot of UpB OoS either. Granted maybe the players liked it only as a kill option. Interesting watch tho.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Played a Rosa that gave me trouble, got a nice kill with shad RCS @0:20, too long for Wii u upload.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ffamran Ffamran that's interesting. I think they are still quite far behind on the meta, maybe 6 months or more. I'm a little shocked no one managed in all those sets even the basic dash up-air x 2 up-B on one of the biggest, easiest targets for it and numerous opportunities. Even their basic aerial follow ups are not up to speed. Really confusing stuff: for some reason they're doing up-air (soft) -> dsmash and then NOT following up the d-smash at all, they just sit there. Their offstage was universally wtf, DK has 2 angles he can recover from, what they did made no sense. They didn't kill his necessarily horizontal recovery even once with a CS. Instead they threw CS directly into his shield, repeatedly, over and over again.
If Sakurai sees this he's probably going to think "she's fine, they still have no clue what they're doing with her." That bodes poorly.
The problem with fighting DK, especially with slower-moving or shorter-ranged characters is that he has a lot of I-frames on moves you don't think he'd have. I'm not sure if he always had I-frames since 64 or Melee, but some of them are ludicrous like his Utilt if I remember correctly has more I-frames than Bowser's. Let's assume they, the Samus players, know. They're going to be afraid, really afraid since if they mess up, they're eating percent they cannot avoid nor counter. Samus's projectiles are okay, but DK moves fast for a heavyweight and while his air acceleration's not good, his air speed is.

The other thing is, I don't follow Japan's scene much, but I don't think DK or Samus are common characters used in tournaments. That's going to be another edge against both if them. Especially for this MU, the players might be going, "What are we supposed to do and not supposed to do?" Figuring things on the fly isn't easy. Some people even try the same thing despite it failing over and over. In a set with Rice's Falco, he tried over and over to jab mixup 1UP's Luigi and over and over, he ate Nair and Uair which 1UP probably mashed, figured it worked all the time, and tacked on 11% to 12% per 5% Rice tried with Falco's jab. It was really stupid not from a, "Why is this (button-mashing) allowed?", but also a, "Rice, why do you keep doing this hoping it'll change?" It's when you know some details of a character you start to do things to avoid or counter it like people don't know Mario's Up Smash is invincible, sp they keep landing into it and dying. After the learn, they avoid Up Smash at all costs knowing there's so much risk challenging it and that Mario has little recovery from using it.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Cool little thing I did (by accident)

Front Hit D Smash > Bomb > Back Hit D Smash

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Gonna be posting VoDs of my Sunday tourney as they're released. They ****ed up the audio so I advise you watch muted.

Felt I played pretty well, movement is the next big part of my game I'm working on now, need to get it closer to Depth's level, extended dash dance dash attacks/grabs and sh up airs would've helped me a lot this set.

I was tired af by the time this set came around, get lazy at the ledge (conciously too, just when I'm tired I truly dont have the willpower to change it) and flub a silly amount of Dash Attack combos

Grand Finals is on there as well if you want to watch, it's just an even more tired me playing even worse, though I guess it could give you a good indication of what not to do

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I was tired af by the time this set came around, get lazy at the ledge (conciously too, just when I'm tired I truly dont have the willpower to change it) and flub a silly amount of Dash Attack combos

You clutched it out in the last two games against the Ike player pretty well. How do you feel about the Ike match in general?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
You clutched it out in the last two games against the Ike player pretty well. How do you feel about the Ike match in general?
I'd say if we're playing smart it's in our favour, It's easy to gimp him and trap his landings with Projectiles, Zair and Aerials OoS keep him at bay nicely. Drop Shield Jab and Grab can punish a lot of his stuff too. He has good range and disjoints, and landing is pretty difficult in the MU, but in our favour overall.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
It's unfortunate your zair recovery janked (stock 2 game 1 against the Ike). I've had that kind of thing happen to me too, I think it's when for some reason the game decides to throw out the actual zair attack and not the tether recovery. Anyone have any other theories?

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
It's unfortunate your zair recovery janked (stock 2 game 1 against the Ike). I've had that kind of thing happen to me too, I think it's when for some reason the game decides to throw out the actual zair attack and not the tether recovery. Anyone have any other theories?
After you get hit there's a 50 frame window where you cant grab the ledge, I guess I was just about in that window still

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
After you get hit there's a 50 frame window where you cant grab the ledge, I guess I was just about in that window still
I don't think it was that, he hit you a good second before you attempted the tether recovery. My theory is that it's the same thing that happens on stages like battlefield, how the low platforms can jank our zair attack. I have a feeling the same thing happened there (it zair attacked instead of tethering and got janked by the edge).

Anfantast

Smash Rookie
Has this happened to any of you guys before and if so, how can I recreate it?
Need that sweet tech for doubles am I right?

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
So I'm going to start with a good match, because I was really feeling myself here. The Mewtwo player was seeded higher than me at this particular tournament and i wanted to show the TO why that was a mistake.

Buuuuuuuuut... 27. Ok, hear me out. We have a Ganondorf who has been dominating our region for almost the entire first year, only recently being knocked down to #2 in our PR. While I honestly do decently against our Top Ten I've never been able to take a stock from him in tournament. GanonTheBeast took eighth at Smash n' Splash last year as well, which is a major, so his dominance isn't because Minnesota is some backwater region or something. CT Chibo even wrote an article about why Ganondorf is to low on the "official" tier list partially because of this guy. I'm saying all of this because I don't have any trouble against Ganondorfs generally, but I'm asking for some general MU advice anyway. I can't find any who are anywhere near his level, so I'm having trouble grinding the matchup. I'm confident part of it is my nerves because he scares the hell outa me so I'm not playing optimally, but the only other good Samus in the state, @kxiong92 (Requim), is his brother and even he doesn't generally beat him in bracket. Have fun with a set thats to short to be of any real use. :skull:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So I'm going to start with a good match, because I was really feeling myself here. The Mewtwo player was seeded higher than me at this particular tournament and i wanted to show the TO why that was a mistake.

Buuuuuuuuut... 27. Ok, hear me out. We have a Ganondorf who has been dominating our region for almost the entire first year, only recently being knocked down to #2 in our PR. While I honestly do decently against our Top Ten I've never been able to take a stock from him in tournament. GanonTheBeast took eighth at Smash n' Splash last year as well, which is a major, so his dominance isn't because Minnesota is some backwater region or something. CT Chibo even wrote an article about why Ganondorf is to low on the "official" tier list partially because of this guy. I'm saying all of this because I don't have any trouble against Ganondorfs generally, but I'm asking for some general MU advice anyway. I can't find any who are anywhere near his level, so I'm having trouble grinding the matchup. I'm confident part of it is my nerves because he scares the hell outa me so I'm not playing optimally, but the only other good Samus in the state, @kxiong92 (Requim), is his brother and even he doesn't generally beat him in bracket. Have fun with a set thats to short to be of any real use. :skull:

God listening to the announcers is painful "I've never seen falling uair into upb". Oh no ****? That's BnB stuff for samus mains. WTF.

I just got bodied in the Ganon v Samus JMU by Koskinator Koskinator . Uair is super fast. Ganon actually beats us off stage because of that damn thing. I've found that trying to combo on stage and stay low is good. Zair a lot. Use jab1 to interupt anything up close. You can almost lock ganon down with well spaced jab1 outside of his grab range. You have to take full advantage of combo opportunities. When you are ledge guarding, you have to be conservative. Just drop bombs off stage, then maybe fade back behind the bomb and fair into where it explodes to really cover the ledge for a long time. I used to think this MU was heavy in our favor, but a good ganon makes this a pretty tough MU. One off stage mistake and you're dead. You just have to be more conservative.

Betvinga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Betvinga
Basically what Xygonn said. In my scene there is a pretty good ganondorf and I fairly know the MU, even if he bodies hard with him. If he gets close Samus doesn't have any option other than jab1 to start a string or dtilt to interrupt his moves. His grab range is fairly bad, but that's the last of our problems. Moves which you really can't punish on block are his Usmash and Fsmash if well spaced; his framedata while airborne is actually very good damage/speed wise and doesn't even have bad landings (compare ganon's landings to the metaknight's ones, you are in for a surprise). His new nair outspaces us with every move except zair and can even ledgeguard instead of uair (which has KO power and can gimp with the 6% hitbox at the end of the move).
Samus can really only keep CS charged and capitalize on his errors, while using wisely Zair to keep him away. Missiles have a pretty bad startup even against him, bombs can be used to stall and covering options. Falling uair is also a great option as a combo starter if you manage to dodge any of his aerials.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
The_Woebegone_Jackal The_Woebegone_Jackal Don't take it too hard, it happens. When you die that quickly, it's because there's a massive gap of skill between the opponents and/or something else psychological ("he's in your head").
It doesn't have to do anything with the specifics. I've had people off the street with no training break out laughing when they realize they can't hit me at all in a swordfight. The skill gap, and the ability to read is too high.

You showed him that you like to recover high preemptively with f-air, first stock. He realized you would do it again, and d-air-ed you second stock.
Same thing 4th stock, he knows you're going to throw out an aerial when he's nowhere near, you're trying to read him but instead, he knows, you've done it twice already. So you die a 3rd time.
Gannon players basically live and die by their reads. He's utter crap in this game moveset wise. Even the up-air offstage is easily beaten by Samus' own rising up-air.

In general Samus utterly destroys Gannon, moveset to moveset. I've played some really great Gannon players, in the end one good read for Gannon is ~15 damage and one for Samus is 30+. The math just never works out.
Calm down next time, use the homing missile, if you feel pushed into a corner air-doge jump straight through him to the other side of the stage and launch a missile then mix it up and dash attack. Use the dash attack, cross him up, he can't do jack.

Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
The_Woebegone_Jackal The_Woebegone_Jackal Don't take it too hard, it happens. When you die that quickly, it's because there's a massive gap of skill between the opponents and/or something else psychological ("he's in your head").
It doesn't have to do anything with the specifics. I've had people off the street with no training break out laughing when they realize they can't hit me at all in a swordfight. The skill gap, and the ability to read is too high.

You showed him that you like to recover high preemptively with f-air, first stock. He realized you would do it again, and d-air-ed you second stock.
Same thing 4th stock, he knows you're going to throw out an aerial when he's nowhere near, you're trying to read him but instead, he knows, you've done it twice already. So you die a 3rd time.
Gannon players basically live and die by their reads. He's utter crap in this game moveset wise. Even the up-air offstage is easily beaten by Samus' own rising up-air.

In general Samus utterly destroys Gannon, moveset to moveset. I've played some really great Gannon players, in the end one good read for Gannon is ~15 damage and one for Samus is 30+. The math just never works out.
Calm down next time, use the homing missile, if you feel pushed into a corner air-doge jump straight through him to the other side of the stage and launch a missile then mix it up and dash attack. Use the dash attack, cross him up, he can't do jack.
The only issue I have with your statement is that, yes, tit for tat you're going to often double him in damage output, but man does it bite when he can live at 160+ and kill you at 80.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
God listening to the announcers is painful "I've never seen falling uair into upb". Oh no ****? That's BnB stuff for samus mains. WTF.

I just got bodied in the Ganon v Samus JMU by Koskinator Koskinator . Uair is super fast. Ganon actually beats us off stage because of that damn thing. I've found that trying to combo on stage and stay low is good. Zair a lot. Use jab1 to interupt anything up close. You can almost lock ganon down with well spaced jab1 outside of his grab range. You have to take full advantage of combo opportunities. When you are ledge guarding, you have to be conservative. Just drop bombs off stage, then maybe fade back behind the bomb and fair into where it explodes to really cover the ledge for a long time. I used to think this MU was heavy in our favor, but a good ganon makes this a pretty tough MU. One off stage mistake and you're dead. You just have to be more conservative.
He isn't kidding mudda****as I really did.

Sorry Xy lol <3

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
vs. :4corrinf:

Funfact: Samus's runspeed is slightly faster than Corrin's. It's too early to judge but I think this Match-Up is not that bad. Corrin's low runspeed compared to Marth or Roy greatly helps our spacing game I can tell that much.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Her are some recent matches I had. Any and all critiques welcome.
Good job with the pokes on Fox.
Tech chase was very nice!
Great timing on the dunk too!
On his up tilt it's best to just eat the one or 2 hits and escape, if you fight it with Nair Dair etc it will lead to 4+hits.

The Falco started off a little rough due to his aerials just straight up beating ours. I feel we have to "intercept" him before his moves come out since our Hitboxes are so tiny in comparison. He also caught you a bunch on the ledge with said aerials.

After that tho you deff took control. The USmash reads were very nice and I liked how you did 2 Bairs on his get up attacks to take over stage control and 2ndly for the game stock.

Last edited:

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Good job with the pokes on Fox.
Tech chase was very nice!
Great timing on the dunk too!
On his up tilt it's best to just eat the one or 2 hits and escape, if you fight it with Nair Dair etc it will lead to 4+hits.

The Falco started off a little rough due to his aerials just straight up beating ours. I feel we have to "intercept" him before his moves come out since our Hitboxes are so tiny in comparison. He also caught you a bunch on the ledge with said aerials.

After that tho you deff took control. The USmash reads were very nice and I liked how you did 2 Bairs on his get up attacks to take over stage control and 2ndly for the game stock.
Thanks! I'll keep that utilt tip in mind for next time.

I played a good link last night. I think I saved one of the replays, maybe I'll upload that one sometime soon.

Anfantast

Smash Rookie
Videos from my town's weekly event.
I got rekt by our local ROB but I did pretty well otherwise.
Let me know how much I suck!

Top Bottom