• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
R.O.B.?
I fought a good R.O.B. surprisingly on FG.
I wasn't at my best, I was tired and missed a few opportunitys where I could have punished him with up.b but I think it's worth sharing since you don't see that many good R.O.B.s.]
The first part of the first match was basically how bodied I got the whole time by one really good ROB. Just totally walled out by the gyro. The second match, it looks like you got that guy pretty flustered after that nice dair. He was playing a lot more impatiently.

Hey guys! I'd been playing a lot of Samus in For Glory to the point where I decided to try her out in my local monthly. I managed to make my way through most of my matches, but I started struggling in GF against a ROB I'd beaten earlier and had to change it up to Villager. It was a customs tournament, and I went 1213 Samus.

Winners finals vs. Pit: Please excuse me shooting myself in the face numerous times. Didn't realize how long Pit could keep his orbitars out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pJreMDtFA

Grand Finals Set 1 vs. ROB: The first match I just could not get the kill at all. Second match started off okay, but I was too focused on trying to DI away from ROB's DThrow UAir. I think it just ended up getting me killed earlier than usual when the follow up did connect. Maybe if i'd utilized Zair more, or was less afraid to use projectiles (ROB's are so much faster so it's hard ;_; )
I coulda pulled it out but I decided not to risk it and went a character I'm more comfortable with in Villager.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAeciL50FaM

Critique is welcome! I'm not quite convinced that this character is the mediocre mess many say she is and I'd love to keep putting in work with her!
So I watched your Samus a little more closely. My main critique would be that you overused usmash. A few different times you went for usmash vs. a grounded opponent and you tried to use it as ROB was landing with a nair and against Pit coming down from the air several times (you did get lucky and kill with it to seal the game once though). Usmash is OK in a combo or against an opponent on a platform above you but against a grounded opponent it's really bad and even as an anti-air it's pretty bad (utilt, up tilted fsmash, and upb are all better). I have to assume your villager/shulk playstyle is creeping in. If you rewatch the games I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Token advice I give everyone: when you land a grab, pummel once if just for the move freshness even if you don't want to get greedy and pummel more. Samus has a very fast pummel so you can get one in even at 0% safely.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
@ Xygonn Xygonn Phooey I always forget Samus has a quick pummel. And I think you're probably right about my other characters creeping in, as once I switch to Villager in that same vid I anti-air with his fireworks multiple times. It just seems like Samus's would also be solid for that since she's covering her head with explosions, plus the fact that it isn't so great on the ground (though against taller opponents like ROB it's more rewarding than down smash for roll-reads). Thanks a lot for the advice dude!

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Had a FT5 with a friend of mine....Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Just a heads up, since these videos were taken on my phone, the videos are slightly shaky. Hope you guys enjoy it :D

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Last edited:

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6S9eAwJo-IE#t=1747

So I played my first competent Diddy Kong earlier this month and need some critique. I can see some of the missed punishes, bad spacing, and mistakes I made myself, but any advice would be great since most of the top players in my area don't play him (most are Sheiks).
I'm just infuriated with how 90% of his kills are hoohahs. Ugh. That was painfully lame to watch on his part.

You definitely could have used used more approach options. Have you ever tried short hop airdodge to upair? Or OoS sh airdodge?

BF is Samus's turf. There was lots of room for platform canceled fair combos in there. I would have thrown out more of those, as they are pretty unpunishable in most cases. And there was one moment when he went into a jab combo that whiffed that you could have punished hard. Other than that, you did pretty good :)

Last edited:

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6S9eAwJo-IE#t=1747

So I played my first competent Diddy Kong earlier this month and need some critique. I can see some of the missed punishes, bad spacing, and mistakes I made myself, but any advice would be great since most of the top players in my area don't play him (most are Sheiks).
NEVER take Diddy to BF. Diddy benefits way more than Samus there. Strike and ban it every time. Take Diddy to flat stages so you can camp effectively and limit his options. Stages that have camp platforms(SV, DH, etc) are also very good.

Focus more on charging beam. Spam missiles after. This Diddy does not know how power shield projectiles. You did not take advantage of this. If you're getting rushed down, use zair to slow them down. When charging, go for the grab. People fall for this ALL the time. Look at the final match, final hoo hah. With this, you'll start conditioning them to aerial approaches. Sometimes they will just double jump in front you while charging; baiting your shot. This is where you cancel beam to fair. Learn their habits.

Don't use f-smash in neutral. I find the angled up f-smash to be very effective against characters that rely on aerial approaches(Jiggs). Other than that, Samus' f-smash is one of worst f-smash in the game. Sakurai forgot to add a hitbox to it. The blind spot is ridiculous. You didn't do too bad. You would have won if it wasn't BF.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
T&C is incredibly risky. The platforms come and go, the ceiling allows for stupidly low % kills (both from Diddy's up air, and conversely from Samus' Screw Attack), and the moving platforms have a mix of being moving/having alternating layouts, yet also being somewhat camp/recovery friendly.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'm just infuriated with how 90% of his kills are hoohahs. Ugh. That was painfully lame to watch on his part.

You definitely could have used used more approach options. Have you ever tried short hop airdodge to upair? Or OoS sh airdodge?

BF is Samus's turf. There was lots of room for platform canceled fair combos in there. I would have thrown out more of those, as they are pretty unpunishable in most cases. And there was one moment when he went into a jab combo that whiffed that you could have punished hard. Other than that, you did pretty good :)
I think I know which point you are talking about, 38:50 when I jumped back instead of charge shoting him? Yea, the second I missed that opportunity I was mad at myself. It would have easily put me at a stock advantage, I must have assumed he was going to cancel it, I can't think of any other reason I wouldn't have let it rip. I did finally look up the thread where everyone was talking about how her SH-AD is ultimately better than her roll plus the setups it comes with, so thank you for the heads up. :)

NEVER take Diddy to BF. Diddy benefits way more than Samus there. Strike and ban it every time. Take Diddy to flat stages so you can camp effectively and limit his options. Stages that have camp platforms(SV, DH, etc) are also very good.

Focus more on charging beam. Spam missiles after. This Diddy does not know how power shield projectiles. You did not take advantage of this. If you're getting rushed down, use zair to slow them down. When charging, go for the grab. People fall for this ALL the time. Look at the final match, final hoo hah. With this, you'll start conditioning them to aerial approaches. Sometimes they will just double jump in front you while charging; baiting your shot. This is where you cancel beam to fair. Learn their habits.

Don't use f-smash in neutral. I find the angled up f-smash to be very effective against characters that rely on aerial approaches(Jiggs). Other than that, Samus' f-smash is one of worst f-smash in the game. Sakurai forgot to add a hitbox to it. The blind spot is ridiculous. You didn't do too bad. You would have won if it wasn't BF.
Yea, I got caught up in the curse of the salty run-back. Diddy having those high platforms to continue hoo-hahs seems like a terrible idea in hindsight. I seriously don't understand what Sakuria was thinking with Samus, she needs some definite qol changes as far as her hitboxes are concerned. Her jab doesn't combo, multihit moves don't vacuum properly, etc etc... ugh. yea, I'll try to stay away from f-smash more. Thank you for the advice, I'm going to be mindful of it come this next weekly. :teeth:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Enjoy 4 videos of Samus from aruth1218, a Japanese Smasher, these two are commentated: [1] and [2]; while these two aren't: [3] and [4].

Last edited:

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
So between FD, T&C and BF should you take Diddy to FD or T&C?
FD. As Ismar said, T&C is risky. Delfino would probably be a better choice if camping on high platforms is what you're feeling. Has more room to charge your beam too. I need to pick that stage more.

Had a FT5 with a friend of mine....Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Just a heads up, since these videos were taken on my phone, the videos are slightly shaky. Hope you guys enjoy it :D
Game 1: Nice run away bomb drops. Good off stage game. When people are below you, don't drop down with a nair. You did this multiple times. Uair is more reliable and links to screw or d-tilt.
Game 5: In the last 10s, you could have SH charge shot for a shield poke. People usually don't expect that to happen especially when you reverse shoot it. Try adding that to your game.
Game 8: 2:25 was an easy up-b OoS kill, but you rolled. Use OoS SH air dodge instead of rolling sometimes. I didn't see any of those. This is also the game where you started using uair more. Like I said, it's better than nair when they're below you. SHFF uair is one of Samus' safest move on shield.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Also guys, heads up if you didn't know but last time they patched the game on 3DS all replays from earlier version became un-viewable. So if you have some nice shots - and you definitely all do have some damn nice shots - make sure to save them some other way! 1.5 weeks notice...

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Also guys, heads up if you didn't know but last time they patched the game on 3DS all replays from earlier version became un-viewable. So if you have some nice shots - and you definitely all do have some damn nice shots - make sure to save them some other way! 1.5 weeks notice...
Oh yeah, forgot about replays getting destroyed.
Time to break out the potato footage recorder again.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

Had a bunch of games Vs. a pretty good Rosalina, honestly feel like we might be her worst match up, Luma can be taken out easily, we can Up Smash her!! shes light and has an exploitable recovery, Gravitational pull leads to easy grabs/zairs, defnintelly our easiest top tier MU imo

Boney

Smash Apprentice

Had a bunch of games Vs. a pretty good Rosalina, honestly feel like we might be her worst match up, Luma can be taken out easily, we can Up Smash her!! shes light and has an exploitable recovery, Gravitational pull leads to easy grabs/zairs, defnintelly our easiest top tier MU imo
That was a pretty lousy Rosa though. In part because she had no idea what to do against a Samus and did incredibly stupid stuff, but mostly she wasn't a good player overall. A good rosa will pressure you a lot harder, will juggle you like no tomorrow and is never gonna let you back onto the stage due to her superior edgeguarding. I only saw the first 3 matches, but you played great though. It's true Rosas height does bring a few great options for samus (bair, dair and zair are godly here.) however the rosa match up, is a little on her favour and even more so with customs on.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Boney, I'd hate to say it, but the "a good (character) would..." isn't an effective argument because anyone could say that of any character. Besides, Rosa's edge guarding is great, but she isn't God. As for the"incredibly stupid stuff", generally you'll see all sorts of that even at high level play because of risk/reward mentality. But I don't know specifically what you meant, because you specifically didn't say.

TBH, I have to agree on this one. Samus seemingly has favor in the match up.

xamus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-4194-4683
Samus vs Ganon

Samus vs Mario

I'm pretty new to Samus as a character, and smash4 in general. Sorry for the horrible quality and (lack of) sound.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Now that @ SpLSlick SpLSlick showed up and used pummel on every throw (great job!) I'm pretty sure I'm the worst Samus on the board in every phase of the game. I'll try to upload my "good" plays before the update hits WiiU. I'm over the hill for reaction time. I think that's part of why I like Samus so much. It's all about trying to force a situation and predict the flow of the game.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/brains-reaction-time-peaks-age-24-study-finds/

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I'm pretty sure I'm the worst Samus on the board in every phase of the game. I'll try to upload my "good" plays before the update hits WiiU. I'm over the hill for reaction time.
Lol, no, you could likely beat me with one hand tied behind your back. If you think 30 is bad I can reassure you 36 is worse. :p
As far as fighting men go, historically the knight fought until well into or 40's and it is uncommon but not unheard of into their 50's. You're still in your prime.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Lol, no, you could likely beat me with one hand tied behind your back. If you think 30 is bad I can reassure you 36 is worse. :p
As far as fighting men go, historically the knight fought until well into or 40's and it is uncommon but not unheard of into their 50's. You're still in your prime.
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
I remember nailing 175 ms back in the day at the science center and blow people away (pretty consistently). Now I'm at 252 ms. That's like 5 frames difference. At least I scored 90% on the memory benchmark. Don't know. Feel free to check it out and feel like a dinosaur. I guess I'm still in the meaty part of the distribution (right near the median) and not in the tails.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Neat website, 208 after 100 tries. I guess that blows away my own excuses ...
I did another test, and damn, now I know why I play better with the sound on (sometimes I play muted). My audio reflex time is much lower. More like the 175 I used to do. Wonder why I am so much slower visually...

http://cognitivefun.net/test/16

Damn, looks like everyone is faster in audio:

"The average reaction time for humans is 0.25 seconds to a visual stimulus, 0.17 for an audio stimulus, and 0.15 seconds for a touch stimulus."

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I achieved an average of about 136-137 on the audio and... 262 on the visual reaction. Yikes. I scored about 208 the first one on Audio and scored about 105-112 afterwards, so I'm retaking that one.

EDIT: Second audio resulted in slightly slower but about 137 every time.

Last edited:

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Boney, I'd hate to say it, but the "a good (character) would..." isn't an effective argument because anyone could say that of any character. Besides, Rosa's edge guarding is great, but she isn't God. As for the"incredibly stupid stuff", generally you'll see all sorts of that even at high level play because of risk/reward mentality. But I don't know specifically what you meant, because you specifically didn't say.

TBH, I have to agree on this one. Samus seemingly has favor in the match up.
What I mean is the matches recorded and the experience with them aren't indicative of the match up. She was a terrible Rosa. For starters, she doesn't know hot approach and how to control the neutral, all she ever did was hope for desynched luma strikes and getting lucky on the range of her f smash. She kept throwing luma, trying to bait roll ins for punishments, which are easily punished (especially with a air dodge charge shot). Throwing luma means you lose luma against samus, and she kept doing it over and over. She never once edge guarded properly, only threw luma to the edge and pray for a hit (which never worked). She was completely on auto pilot and never ever did anything remotely threatening. Pretty bad player that will get exposed fast, especially with Afro Smash who is a great Samus.

As for the match up, customs on it becomes hell, the luma laser doesn't give you any breathing room and the teleportation luma makes that mid range always a risky situation. Luma will always be in close range and serve as a way to control space with all the active hitboxes, nair is incredibly safe approach with both rosa and luma getting hits. Samus' low falling speed makes her a really easy target for juggling, seeing you can't fast fall air dodge it easily and no attack is gonna beat it. The range of her smashes, the ability to be safe on grabs and grab follow ups, the ability to control the neutral and having a huge advantage off stage make her have a good advantage.

That's not to say Samus doesn't have good options, dair is easy to hit, baiting and punishing roll ins with it and will set up for nasty combos. Zair can go through the meat shield making you set up dash attacks and follow ups. And she can die easily with a good back air, fsmash or well placed charge shot on follow up. Plus you can edge guard easily due to her recovery having no hit box, in spite of the amazing range angle that allows for smart recoveries.

I think without customs the match up is 55/45 at worst and an even 50/50 at best. Customs on however, it's 60/40.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
I remember nailing 175 ms back in the day at the science center and blow people away (pretty consistently). Now I'm at 252 ms. That's like 5 frames difference. At least I scored 90% on the memory benchmark. Don't know. Feel free to check it out and feel like a dinosaur. I guess I'm still in the meaty part of the distribution (right near the median) and not in the tails.
Well I got 316ms average so I actually might be the worst. lol

Last edited:

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Now that @ SpLSlick SpLSlick showed up and used pummel on every throw (great job!) I'm pretty sure I'm the worst Samus on the board in every phase of the game. I'll try to upload my "good" plays before the update hits WiiU. I'm over the hill for reaction time. I think that's part of why I like Samus so much. It's all about trying to force a situation and predict the flow of the game.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/brains-reaction-time-peaks-age-24-study-finds/
I doubt you are the worst Samus on this board....I think everyone is good with Samus on something...Just have to refine your play and I'm sure the results will come ;)...Going to post more matches tomorrow :D

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
An early SD (forgetting to hit jump and FF Zairing is not the one) meant I had to bring out all my Reverse Charge Shot tricks to secure this win, enjoy!

Also @Depth_ looks like D Tilt might be safe on Shield when spaced at 1:05 and 2:41

Last edited:
Top Bottom