• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Great Job Parker!!

I loved all your options. They way you covered and reacted to Jrs Side B, and Pikachus UpB was amazing. this will help immensley on how i can go about punishing people.

Not to mention the F TILT BOYS, and the bomb placements. Fantastic job man, inspiring play.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how well Magi knows the match-up against Samus, but there were plenty of opportunities where he could have easily grabbed you. You landed in front of him in the first match with an u-air. You also use your dash attack where you could be shielded and grabbed because you end up in front of your opponent. If you played against my brother's Ness, he would punish you so bad, racking up to ~35%. You also z-air too close, especially when Magi is shielded. So I'm going to suspect he doesn't know the match-up, and if he's played against Samus' before, he doesn't know the match-up very well, as he has failed to use different strategies to punish you.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I didn't mean to come off critical. I know I have much to learn myself. I wouldn't mind being critiqued on my videos. More to come, by the way!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
No I welcome criticism, they were just oddly specific. The timing between Autocanceled SH FF U Air and Jab coming out is pretty small, and Bowser Jr has a slow, unrewarding grab. He could've grabbed me for it most likely but pretty minor, and also I play differently in different MUs, I know Ness can get a good combo from punishing a mis spaced Dash Attack but Bowser Jr can't, the damage I gain from landing it is always going to heavily outweigh the damage I take for misspacing it (which I didn't do very often) so I have no reason to not go for them Zealously. I agree he showed some signs of MU unfamiliarity, which is why I took advantage of it, if he adjusts then I do too

Also using the 1st hit of Zair like that is perfectly safe and leads to either free shield pressure or true combos

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Really damn nice play, I particularly liked the pika set and the small things like the z-air 1 -> up-B. Tons of the meta on display in those sets.

My overall opinion from looking at the tournament go-ers is that many character's meta are basically stalled and Samus is still progressing.
I'll be recording some of my recent play soon - I think there's maintenance Monday and throw up some vids.
I won't get around the post- 1.1.5 update until later this month, sadly personal life getting in the way, but I'll show some stuff.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No I welcome criticism, they were just oddly specific. The timing between Autocanceled SH FF U Air and Jab coming out is pretty small, and Bowser Jr has a slow, unrewarding grab. He could've grabbed me for it most likely but pretty minor, and also I play differently in different MUs, I know Ness can get a good combo from punishing a mis spaced Dash Attack but Bowser Jr can't, the damage I gain from landing it is always going to heavily outweigh the damage I take for misspacing it (which I didn't do very often) so I have no reason to not go for them Zealously. I agree he showed some signs of MU unfamiliarity, which is why I took advantage of it, if he adjusts then I do too

Also using the 1st hit of Zair like that is perfectly safe and leads to either free shield pressure or true combos
They were specific because they were things I kept seeing. I think it's important to pinpoint strategies, whether they be poor or not. I watched a few of my replays and thought about whhat to do and not do and checked what my brother was doing. I'm going to keep track of my progress.

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
Guys are you aware of this? It's a playlist with over a thousand Samus Smash4 games on youtube.
Just discovered it a few days ago, and I'm really shocked. All my tournament sets and even friendlies sets are here lol.
Btw Afro, I watched in this list these tournament sets you posted even before I saw you posted them here

Woebroken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vortex_Phoenix
I just started searching 'smash 4 samus' in youtube search every couple of months and put the filter to sort by upload date. I go through all the videos, sub to the new channels and add all their relevant videos to my watch later until I get to the last video I remember. Then I repeat for the other characters I do.

And then since I have a ton of videos in my sub feed, I just got into the routine of going through it every day and adding tagged videos to their correct playlist or adding them to watch later if they didn't. Atm my watch later is 2 weeks behind and over 2,000 videos, with like 1,500 being smash 4 :')

Oh yeah, and obviously I use each character's video thread, since they sometimes have untagged videos

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Here's a match from yesterday on FG. The player is named 2D. I only played one match, as my brother wanted me to be done with Sm4sh.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
2/26. Did get to face a few of the higher ranked NE guys. Sizzle, Xorn and Ntarps.
https://www.twitch.tv/platinumcitygaming/v/73040042
Really nice stuff as always, I laughed a bit at some of the commentary, particularly "Cloud beats Samus" and they you proceed to destroy them. All of them.
Your SHAD confirm kills are really nice, definitely a class above mine, that last one against the tink was dicey, I would have B-air but you made the correct choice of n-air.

@Ungeist you seem to have decent enough character control, and you're using a variety of options which is good, and not making too many mistakes overall,
From that match I can't really tell why you're getting bodied online as you mentioned in the other thread.
Your opponent didn't really pressure you there, and dealing with pressure is the difficult part of this character. You should post a bad loss, so we can deconstruct the problems.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
@Ungeist you seem to have decent enough character control, and you're using a variety of options which is good, and not making too many mistakes overall,
From that match I can't really tell why you're getting bodied online as you mentioned in the other thread.
Your opponent didn't really pressure you there, and dealing with pressure is the difficult part of this character. You should post a bad loss, so we can deconstruct the problems.
I lost a few times last night against a Pikachu, but I didn't take it personally. I saved the videos of my loses and wish to see them later today to see what I did right and wrong. Maybe one like that would help, though.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Really nice stuff as always, I laughed a bit at some of the commentary, particularly "Cloud beats Samus" and they you proceed to destroy them. All of them.
Your SHAD confirm kills are really nice, definitely a class above mine, that last one against the tink was dicey, I would have B-air but you made the correct choice of n-air.
Thanks! Ive just gotta touch up my misinputs which make me go from good positions....to bad. My choice making needs to be better as well. I'm going tonight again to hopefully win this time!

I had never taken a game off of Xorn (Tink player). But I'm slowly seeing how people play and adjusting better. All Harkens back to my decision making.

Everyone who asks how I got all my Samus info I always drop this board and especially your name. Some have been blown by the sheer amount of info/help/testing this board has had. I still tell them I have a ton more to memorize.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Just a for glory match after much hiatus. Knocking rust off still. But this is just a typical demo of typical samus stuff.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Good match, Xygonn, but based on the way the C.F. player played, I feel he not only wasn't good, he wasn't familiar with the match-up. Be advised that while the methods you used are fine on unfamiliar players, it should not be implemented in your repertoire against intermediate to expert players.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Good match, Xygonn, but based on the way the C.F. player played, I feel he not only wasn't good, he wasn't familiar with the match-up. Be advised that while the methods you used are fine on unfamiliar players, it should not be implemented in your repertoire against intermediate to expert players.
Thanks, I know it was fg and not perfect, but it happened to have quite a bit of demoed stuff like ftilt to cs, etc.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Me versus my brother.

These were against someone named Taiga, who also had the tag, Zucco.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Hark17ball Hark17ball

• [0:55] Good start with the homing missile. It won't be serious harm if it is reflected. O
  • [1:02 - 1:04] Good start-up, but after the failed n-air, you proceeded to u-air and u-tilt. The u-tilt was especially reactive. X
  • [1:21 - 1:22] Don't try countering Fox's u-air with d-air. His u-air is better. X
  • [1:35] You read Fox returning with Fox Illusion. Good option. O
  • [1:36] However, you did not proceed to do this again when Fox tried a second time. X
  • [1:41] Never do an early dash attack. You will be punished with a grab. You repeat this a few times afterwards. Do a late dash. X
  • [2:15] Be careful getting back onto the stage with f-air. You don't have to get back onto the stage, as you can control your direction when doing so. X
  • [2:18] There should be no reason for you to use f-smash on your opponent if he/she has low percent. If it's a habit, unlearn it. X
  • [2:48] Never u-air in front of your opponent if your opponent is grounded. X

Keep the green, fix the red with what I recommend. The portion I covered was for the first match, but I suspect these are what needs to be worked on in both videos.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

There were a few things I can see myself keeping, but I was mostly unorthodox in this match.

New one. More to come. Observe the importance of jab 1 and off-stage combat.

I really don't do much of this stage.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk8RzYzFutU&feature=youtube_gdata
Tell me what you guys think? Is samus vs Ryu an easy match up?
I can't say it's an easy match-up. Ryu can KO Samus at double digits because of his Shoryuken. The best thing to do is avoid Ryu. He's going to beat Samus in CQC. If you're ever close, just rely on jab 1, d-tilt, f-tilt, b-air, d-air, n-air, or u-air. Use z-air often and use homing missiles to maintain a distance. (Honestly, I feel like I'm the only one who uses homing missiles.) When it comes to using jab 1, be sure to use it for poking, nothing more. Make sure you're at a safe distance with b-air. Cross up with d-air. You never want to land in front or on Ryu. You can cross-up with dash as well, but that requires a late input. This is honestly Samus' best method of dash attack since she'll always end up behind her opponent.

Let's examine your video. You start off with z-air to hit Ryu. This is a common tactic for Samus mains. I've been doing it myself since SSBB. Don't always repeat this at every beginning of a match, though. Both you and Ryu decided drop down. You followed up with a jab 1, but the range was further than you expected. Still, Ryu reacted with a shield. You missed with your dash as he jumped. If you were successful, you would have dashed past him. You followed up with u-air, but Ryu kicked you with b-air. B-air is pretty fast if you ever tried out Ryu. It's just odd to me that you would chase Ryu when you don't need to. He wasn't at a safe spot.

You risked getting hit by what seems to be Ryu's d-air, but you walked away. That works. Rolling, however, does not. I hope you were being intentional with the roll and not reactive. I cannot tell. Either way, you centered yourself. By the time you were finished with your roll, Ryu was finished with his d-tilt. Going for a super missile was unnecessary. I'll admit, the controls seem a little more sensitive in this game. When I try using an f-tilt or homing missile, I'll end up doing f-smash or super missile. Anyway, Ryu put up his shield while you did an SH backwards. Ryu was already above the platform before that super missile launched. Now comes the Focus. You end up going for a dash. This wasn't risky because even if Focus gave Ryu super armor, you'd still dash past him, rendering Focus meaningless. Dash to b-air is good.

It's odd you would SH, which allowed Ryu to do b-air on you. Using f-air is risky. It's useful against tall opponents, but honestly, Ryu could have shielded that if he wanted. Spacing that attack would be a good choice to keep in mind. It's funny that Ryu jumped onto the platform and did a kick. No one was standing there. But then you jump up with f-air while Ryu just dashed away. When your opponent is on a platform, they don't have many options because it's not safe to be on a platform. Your response to Ryu is delayed, and I'm not sure why you would go for a homing missile when you're that close to him. A jab or f-tilt would have been better. As a result, you get punished. There is also a part not long after where you do a dash and try to d-air, even though Ryu is not under you. Don't rush, otherwise you'll be throwing out unnecessary commands, and that will leave you open.

Did you know by this point, you've only used z-air once? That was at the beginning of the match. Just think about that. You've been gung ho about approaching, but not doing so safely. Your super missile to charge shot, while perhaps intended to break Ryu's shield, was telegraphed. You fired a super missile against Ryu while he was lying on the ground and followed up with a charge shot when he got up. This was not properly timed. Of course, you reduced his shield and going for anything by that point could have worked, I suppose. At 1:10, you fired your charge shot again, probably assuming Ryu was going to roll forward. Fortunately, jab 1 has a huge hit box, so you didn't get punished, but even then, you followed up with jab 2 when you were still facing the opposite direction.

Using d-air and going over Ryu was a good option. I'll give you a bit of advice on spiking your opponent. Using n-air is just as effective as d-air, and it's safer. I'd also encourage you to grab onto the ledge when your opponent is off stage, that way you can set up possible edge-guarding techniques. For your opponent to continuously get hit by your f-air is a mistake on his part. He should know by now that if you plan on edge-guarding, you can do it safely, such as keeping your distance or putting your shield up if you're close.

Second match you started out strong. I'd say you performed much better, actually. I'm going to throw some tips out for you.

• Use more z-air. If your opponent is approaching and you want to use z-air, z-air away from your opponent.
  • Don't use homing or super missiles and then follow up with a charge shot. This can make you become predictable. Sometimes it's just best not to use the charge shot at all because your opponent will be expecting it. It helps give you control.
  • Keep using late dash attacks and continue going for cross-ups with d-air as well.
  • Edge-guard more. If you want, go ahead and drop a bomb to see what happens, but be willing to follow up. No risk, no reward.

Xpect

Smash Cadet
I can't say it's an easy match-up. Ryu can KO Samus at double digits because of his Shoryuken. The best thing to do is avoid Ryu. He's going to beat Samus in CQC. If you're ever close, just rely on jab 1, d-tilt, f-tilt, b-air, d-air, n-air, or u-air. Use z-air often and use homing missiles to maintain a distance. (Honestly, I feel like I'm the only one who uses homing missiles.) When it comes to using jab 1, be sure to use it for poking, nothing more. Make sure you're at a safe distance with b-air. Cross up with d-air. You never want to land in front or on Ryu. You can cross-up with dash as well, but that requires a late input. This is honestly Samus' best method of dash attack since she'll always end up behind her opponent.

Let's examine your video. You start off with z-air to hit Ryu. This is a common tactic for Samus mains. I've been doing it myself since SSBB. Don't always repeat this at every beginning of a match, though. Both you and Ryu decided drop down. You followed up with a jab 1, but the range was further than you expected. Still, Ryu reacted with a shield. You missed with your dash as he jumped. If you were successful, you would have dashed past him. You followed up with u-air, but Ryu kicked you with b-air. B-air is pretty fast if you ever tried out Ryu. It's just odd to me that you would chase Ryu when you don't need to. He wasn't at a safe spot.

You risked getting hit by what seems to be Ryu's d-air, but you walked away. That works. Rolling, however, does not. I hope you were being intentional with the roll and not reactive. I cannot tell. Either way, you centered yourself. By the time you were finished with your roll, Ryu was finished with his d-tilt. Going for a super missile was unnecessary. I'll admit, the controls seem a little more sensitive in this game. When I try using an f-tilt or homing missile, I'll end up doing f-smash or super missile. Anyway, Ryu put up his shield while you did an SH backwards. Ryu was already above the platform before that super missile launched. Now comes the Focus. You end up going for a dash. This wasn't risky because even if Focus gave Ryu super armor, you'd still dash past him, rendering Focus meaningless. Dash to b-air is good.

It's odd you would SH, which allowed Ryu to do b-air on you. Using f-air is risky. It's useful against tall opponents, but honestly, Ryu could have shielded that if he wanted. Spacing that attack would be a good choice to keep in mind. It's funny that Ryu jumped onto the platform and did a kick. No one was standing there. But then you jump up with f-air while Ryu just dashed away. When your opponent is on a platform, they don't have many options because it's not safe to be on a platform. Your response to Ryu is delayed, and I'm not sure why you would go for a homing missile when you're that close to him. A jab or f-tilt would have been better. As a result, you get punished. There is also a part not long after where you do a dash and try to d-air, even though Ryu is not under you. Don't rush, otherwise you'll be throwing out unnecessary commands, and that will leave you open.

Did you know by this point, you've only used z-air once? That was at the beginning of the match. Just think about that. You've been gung ho about approaching, but not doing so safely. Your super missile to charge shot, while perhaps intended to break Ryu's shield, was telegraphed. You fired a super missile against Ryu while he was lying on the ground and followed up with a charge shot when he got up. This was not properly timed. Of course, you reduced his shield and going for anything by that point could have worked, I suppose. At 1:10, you fired your charge shot again, probably assuming Ryu was going to roll forward. Fortunately, jab 1 has a huge hit box, so you didn't get punished, but even then, you followed up with jab 2 when you were still facing the opposite direction.

Using d-air and going over Ryu was a good option. I'll give you a bit of advice on spiking your opponent. Using n-air is just as effective as d-air, and it's safer. I'd also encourage you to grab onto the ledge when your opponent is off stage, that way you can set up possible edge-guarding techniques. For your opponent to continuously get hit by your f-air is a mistake on his part. He should know by now that if you plan on edge-guarding, you can do it safely, such as keeping your distance or putting your shield up if you're close.

Second match you started out strong. I'd say you performed much better, actually. I'm going to throw some tips out for you.

• Use more z-air. If your opponent is approaching and you want to use z-air, z-air away from your opponent.
  • Don't use homing or super missiles and then follow up with a charge shot. This can make you become predictable. Sometimes it's just best not to use the charge shot at all because your opponent will be expecting it. It helps give you control.
  • Keep using late dash attacks and continue going for cross-ups with d-air as well.
  • Edge-guard more. If you want, go ahead and drop a bomb to see what happens, but be willing to follow up. No risk, no reward.
Thank you for the advice, I need learn to switch it up forsure. Ive been meaning to practice reverse charge shot trumps to increase my ledge game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Thank you for the advice, I need learn to switch it up forsure. Ive been meaning to practice reverse charge shot trumps to increase my ledge game.
You're welcome. By the way, I don't mean to say you shouldn't use homing/super missiles to CS, only that you don't want to make that common in youur metagame because it will become predictable. When I fight Ryu, I don't approach unless there is an opening. I fought a Ryu before and he beat me, but then the second match was different. I lost, though I'm not sure how, but I dealt a lot of damage on him with homing missiles and z-airs. Projectiles aren't necessarily meant to hit, but act as a deterrent or annoyance for your opponent. Only CS is the kill move.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer

:4samus: 1 - 2 :4littlemac:

Pools set from our national about a month ago. I take game one after nailing a shield break but he takes the next two games to win the set. I was still unfamiliar with the MU at the time but I've learned some stuff since then. Still kicking myself for not counterpicking him to duck hunt for game 3 though.

Top Bottom