• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
When did they put peach in a thong?

Also they really have stay less sexual than many other companys for a long time. In SSBM peach wears shorts under her dress.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Resting_Fox said:
Actually, in Super Metroid she wore a two-piece. Whether it was a swim-suit or her actual underwear is not known. But it was definitely the best reaction in any game for dying.

Still, even then she wasn't a sexual icon. It's really more about the social climate and general response from the fans. Once someone beats off to a picture of Samus, she's officially a sex icon.
yes it was, and you're right. the reason I said the suit was because thats what we are focusing on now though, but i know what you mean. anyway there are other reasons why this is not that big of a deal. the game is made by nintendo, who's headquarters is in japan right? now, in japan this is not a big deal which is why they put it in. you know what i'll just skip to the important thing. the reason that its ok in japan is because they are more open to many things and they dont see this as a sexual thing, as resting fox said, it has to do with the social climate, and in america, its that they make a big deal out of anything, like sensorship in anime, and now they are making a big deal out of clothes on a female character who wears skin tight clothes so that she can fit into her armor easier. it would be a sexual icon if she was wearing the the 2 piece that fox mentioned from super metroid.

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
lol, ya, would you rather her have been in her blue swimsuit?(I would've :)) Anyway, the swimsuit isn't that rvealing, I bet 90% of Smash players looked at the Peach and zelda trophies and zoomed up their dresses countless times. And if there's a Zamus trophy, they'll do the same. But still, it doesn't remove her mysteriousness, it EXPANDS her msyeriousness. No oneknows anything about her, except that now, she has cruves. WWe already knew she was blonde, and saw some screens of the japanese trophy where her helmet was removed. In fact since metroid prime 3 is the last in the prime series just like Halo 3, they might take the series in a new direction, in where Zero Suit Samus is the main character with her gun and whip. Anything is possible. And it's not like metroid prime 3 is gonna revolve around her being naked and like someone said before, being rped by horny aliens...It's not like their removing Samusf from Brawl.

It's not that big of a deal, that's nothing compared to all the Ivy's and Taki's out therre or the DOA series. Plus I'm glad she has cury ****, and looks sexy in the face. What'd you rather have Metroid fans around the world playing as some fat hillbilly looking chic?

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
toasty4you said:
This is getting out of control. Just because she wears tights does'nt mean she's a sex symbol.

I swear, I can imagine some of you people intently analyzing the computer screen, stroking your chin, muttering to yourself, "Ah, yes, I do suppose Zamus's boobs are quite nice... indeed..." *sips tea*

-Those who are: please stop checking out videogame characters. They're nothing more than polygons and pixels.

- Those who are: Stop overanalyzing Zamus's body, as if there's some hidden, symbolic, meaning behind it. Some of you are acting like Zamus is a bloody metaphor.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I think it's a natural, even unavoidable, decision on Sakurai's part after he decided to include a "Zero Suit" version of Samus. It only makes sense that it would be some sort of jumpsuit - at least that's what I would do based off of every movie and game I've ever played (would you have her wearing blue jeans and a T shirt?). Since she's a girl, they made it skin tight. And no one wants a really ugly super heroine, so you end up with ZS Samus. If you're upset with it, look on the bright side: She's not grossly disproportionate, and the suit actually covers all of her body.

They could have done better, but I think they were going, to some extent, for sex appeal.

IcEdUp414

Smash Journeyman
You gotta be kidding me....Your complaining about a woman wearing tight clothes? What are you? Gay? Jeez, Chill out. Truthfully is this any worse then them putting Peach and Zelda in panties in SSBM? I don't think so. What do you want an extremely fatgirl with 300 pairs of clothing on? If not. SHUT THE HELL UP.

Skler

Smash Master
If wearing tight clothes makes a character a sex symbol, what is captain falcon? Seriously, is it because samus is a WOMAN wearing tight clothes? Captain Falcon has been wearing that skin tight suit for a very long time and nobody complained. Why should it be different with a woman?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Slugma128 said:
It's not about her being beautiful, it's about her suit. This board is dedicated to Smash, therefore many die-hard fans here will never say a negative thing about it. But, I've already seen lots of reactions, both from RL friends and on other boards. Many Samus fans (but not Smash-fans) are very upset that Nintendo, as they say, have "destroyed the mysterious aura surrounding Samus" by doing this. She's not that silent, mystic bounty hunter than no one knows much about anymore.
To be honnest, I think that it's bullcrap. We already know about Samus' real identity by now, we already know her history. It's like saying Wolverine has lost his mystery because of a certain movie he's been in, or saying Smurfs are mysterious at all.

I never really understood what this mysterious thing was about Samus, I only know her parents got killed by space pirates, she got raised and trained by Chozo, joined the Federation, fused with a Metroid because if she didn't she would die because of the X-virus, and probably got kicked out of the Federation by blowing up one of their research stations.

What's mysterious about that? If there is a mystery about her, it's the pronounciation of her name, whether or not she still has a dieing hatred for the space pirates, and her her trauma affected her.

And what her breast and butt size is.

Wolfblade said:
She's gotta be sexy anyway, would you have prefered her to be some fat ugo?
To quote myself from the holiday costume topic, about the halloween costumes:

Wario => ZS Samus

Skler said:
If wearing tight clothes makes a character a sex symbol, what is captain falcon? Seriously, is it because samus is a WOMAN wearing tight clothes? Captain Falcon has been wearing that skin tight suit for a very long time and nobody complained. Why should it be different with a woman?

Because skin-tight suits on male figures are hot, and people don't want to get aroused while playing a game, unless they are intend to get aroused.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
It's a pretty bold statement when someone says that Nintendo just shows off women as objects.This is the same company that brought Nintendogs into the world.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
companies and media everywhere are guilty of this sex appeal is growing more and more as time goes on.. it will continue until the world becomes a big old sexual explosion.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Anyway, I bet there are enough people who actually wanted to play as the woman behind the mask, not the armor itself. To do that, Samus has to take off her armor and wear what's underneath it. Now they could use the white common clothes from one of the games, but they chose Zero Mission's suit, as it's more known than the other, but not as woman-as-lust-object-like as the other suits (Metroid 1 anyone? Super Metroid anyone?)

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
This is a hilarious thread. I think that it was done for marketing and it looks like it was as sexually restrained as possible while still being hot enough to make it sell more. It's not like she was in a bikini or had a baby with mario. About mystery I think she looked like a mysterious bad *** chick. If you don't think she's mysterious anymore look at her expression when she's getting shown off. She looks like a solitary type person still and isn't making friends because THAT would ruin her. Anyway, almost everyone wanted to see her underneath, up close, and realistic. That exitement of waiting made it have an even more powerfull punch. At least be glad she doesn't have super boobs. :dizzy:

Hyper-Link

Smash Ace
I just wish her *** was a little more bootyliscious...

But alas... She's a middle aged caucasion women, so I guess the *** that she does have is more than expected

It woulda been really mysterious if Samus turned about to be a super busty extremely thick teenage black girl

Now that woulda been a REAL plea from Nintendo for Sex appeal

Fyxe

Smash Rookie
Why has everyone forgotten that the Zero Suit is nothing new and has appeared in Metroid games ever since Zero Mission? And that her out-of-suit outfits before Zero Mission were even MORE revealing?

Complaining about what essentially gives Samus more personality is not something that any so-called Samus fans should be doing.

And no, she's not like Taki. Taki was rediculous and bounced like... Like a very bouncy thing. I doubt you'll see much bounciness from Samus.

What about the sexification of Peach in Melee, eh? Don't see anyone complaining about that.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think Z Samus is a waste of space and another better character should replace her.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
if ya ask me, it's about time that Nintendo had a sex symbol. Samus has always been regarded as a sexy character even back to the days of Super Metroid...

It's about time that her true colors have been shown (and by colors, i mean...).

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
While it's true that she wore even more revealing clothes in past games, all we saw was a a tiny sprite. Starting in Fusion (aka the new generation of Metroid games), there were lots of hi-res art to show off her body in different sexy poses.

Listen, I'm not saying that automatically putting a woman in a game will make her a sex object. Look at Zelda or Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. Those two can hold their own without having revealing clothing. But the fact that most of videogame females DO HAVE revealing clothing, maybe fools some people here into thinking that Samus's blue suit isn't such a big deal, "cause DOA is much worser?"

Someone mentioned Captain Falcon's tight clothing. Good point, because it's also skin tight. But then look at how Nintendo presents these characters. The presentation. In Zero Mission, there are close-ups of her butt, and in the short Brawl trailer, Nintendo let the camera sweep around her to get close-ups of both her butt and boobs. Captain Falcon's short FMV ending in F-Zero GX is made with humour in mind, not sex appeal. You just have to have a sense for these details. (and it's not very hard at all)

Instead of arguing back and forth IF ZS Samus is a sex object or not, why not discuss how it'll affect the this game, or the whole Metroid franchise in the future? Let's say ZS Samus gets a massive positive reaction/feedback from people who buy SSBB. Will Nintendo then include ZS Samus more an more in the regular Metroid games? And, is Samus turning into a sex object a bad or a good thing? I guess there are several different opinions about this, too.

BTW, Peach wore a thong and had massive butt jiggle in the Japanese version of Mario Power Tennis, according to people on lots of various forums. (the official Peach forum, among others) It's nothing new though, I think it got out a year ago or something like that.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
It was intentional. I have no idea what to think. If she should happen to fit my playing style and become my best character, everyone will laugh.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I also think it's pretty darn obvious it was intentional. I mean, game developers just don't throw in stuff at random in their games. But commonyoshi, why would everyone laugh?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Pervyness?

And some people seem to think that this isn't that big a deal. What they dont realize that this goes beyond the here and now. This is just a step leading to the future. Some are optomistic that Samus wont change in her games. Are you serious? Of course things are going to change. This was what happened in our society. Women stopped wearing the big puffy dresses. Then they wore elegant dresses. Then it was the skirt. And now look at TV today and say that the stuff that is normal today isn't just a little revealing and over the line. People in the puffy dress age would faint if they saw our television today.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Great points, commonyoshi. That's actually what this topic was about from the start, how this would change and affect Samus in future games. Do you think that it might even be a chance (or a risk, depending on your opinion) that there will be a third person view game starring ZS Samus in the future?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
No. But I know what you're thinking... Having a third person game with Zamus would never happen. Not because of the moral aspects, but because it just wouldn't make good gameplay. Having it first person is better and just works better. Nintendo is a gaming company. They wouldn't ruin the metroid like that just to apeal to some adolescent kids. They make quality games first and foremost. If Nintendo should ever run out of money and Samus is bought by Sony, then I could see it happening.

Xar_Kaidra

Smash Rookie
Slugma128 said:
LOL! "It covers her entire body" LOOOL! Yeah, but change that blue color to skin color and she would appear nude...get it?

And this is hardly the "smallest sexual undertone" either. She looks like Taki, exept her breasts and butt aren't as big. But it sure as hell are sex appeal to that suit, if you can't see that you're either blind or just dumb.
Or virtual women shouldn't get people worked into this much of a fuss. I beleive you've taken this much farther than was necessary. Anyway, they didn't really do much to spice up her "sex appeal" except put her into a good graphics engine.

Grow up.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* You don't think Virtual women (as you call them) affect people? Have you ever heard about the Lara Croft phenomenon? Learn all about that before you post again in this thread, please.

jayj713

Smash Rookie
Think about it this way, she's so pro she doesn't need that fancy armor anymore.

And maybe it's because im not a samus player but i never thought of her as mysterious. I thought of her as the person that shoots missles and really big energy balls.

Granz

Smash Rookie
IMO It should not matter, but I laugh at people going, "OH NOES!!! ZAMUS HAS BEWBIES!!!"

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
no matter what way you look at it, this is a pointless topic

Instead of arguing back and forth IF ZS Samus is a sex object or not, why not discuss how it'll affect the this game, or the whole Metroid franchise in the future? Let's say ZS Samus gets a massive positive reaction/feedback from people who buy SSBB. Will Nintendo then include ZS Samus more an more in the regular Metroid games? And, is Samus turning into a sex object a bad or a good thing? I guess there are several different opinions about this, too.
Samus isnt and isnt close to becoming a sex object, she has sex appeal, but she will always be the kickass female bounty hunter in her space suit we all love first and foremost

you're getting worked up over nothing, how is this gonna change metroid? her suitless body has already been seen, even if it was just sprites, if it didnt change back then, its not gonna change now (and even if it does, you might like it)

your basically saying that since samus has a gorgeous body that is being shown off in SSBB, we have cause for concern and should worry because nintendo might forever change metroid into a crappy series and making a topic like this is the only way to prevent that

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd sugest panicking when and ONLY when they make Nintendo-Extreme Beech vollyball.

Joshcube'd be happy at least......

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Soanevalck said:
your basically saying that since samus has a gorgeous body that is being shown off in SSBB, we have cause for concern and should worry because nintendo might forever change metroid into a crappy series and making a topic like this is the only way to prevent that
no, i think he just wanted to discuss the issue, what with this being a discussion forum and all.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Fyxe said:
What about the sexification of Peach in Melee, eh? Don't see anyone complaining about that.
Because people don't want to get too aroused while playing a game. Having already two hot chicks (although Zelda has a huge fugly nose) was already much, but having ZS Samus is just too much excitement for a man.

Hell, my balls almost exploded when I saw her.

commonyoshi said:
And some people seem to think that this isn't that big a deal. What they dont realize that this goes beyond the here and now. This is just a step leading to the future. Some are optomistic that Samus wont change in her games. Are you serious? Of course things are going to change. This was what happened in our society. Women stopped wearing the big puffy dresses. Then they wore elegant dresses. Then it was the skirt. And now look at TV today and say that the stuff that is normal today isn't just a little revealing and over the line. People in the puffy dress age would faint if they saw our television today.
Samus grows old. Don't be too pessimistic. In later sequels, I don't think we'll see her fight outside her suit, as she will most probably be the hunted. Being outside your suit then is a very unwise decission.

And Nintendo isn't ********. They know that Samus still needs to be in the suit in order to actually be Samus. Samus without suit is... well, a dougnut without a hole, or a manhole without a sewer.

Metroid has always been about collecting equipment in a big world, mostly an alien world. It's also about futuristic settings, but still in the nature. Running around in a skimpy outfit when going trough effing cold or boiling hot areas is not a very good idea. It would also make it impossible to collect new suits to protect yourself to these environments. Also, although Nintendo isn't known for realism, they don't want their characters to walk around in the water without suffocating, at least not with realistic looking characters.

If there is anything I've learned, it is that people who complain about boobies and sex appeal are actually aroused or at least a little perverted themselves. It won't affect Samus in any way. Samus still stays our beloved tormented traumatised woman.

And her breasts aren't that big too.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
commonyoshi said:
No. But I know what you're thinking... Having a third person game with Zamus would never happen. Not because of the moral aspects, but because it just wouldn't make good gameplay. Having it first person is better and just works better. Nintendo is a gaming company. They wouldn't ruin the metroid like that just to apeal to some adolescent kids. They make quality games first and foremost. If Nintendo should ever run out of money and Samus is bought by Sony, then I could see it happening.
Wait though, a Third person game with Zamus has already happened. It was called Zero Mission. Really though, 2D, third person games need to make a comeback on home consoles. Especially with the Metroid and Kirby franchises.

And honestly the Metroid series was sort of ruined once it WAS turned into a first person game, or rather when Retro got ahold of it and started doing whatever they wanted [Prime 2]. Still, ask any Metroid fan, Super Metroid is still superior to Prime because you didn't have to scan a bunch of **** to get 100% completion, and they didn't make cheesy rip-offs of Resident Evil and Tony Hawk.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Dude, Metroid Prime didn't "ruin" metroid, it was just changed slightly. I think they did an awsome job, and you have to admit, it could be a lot worse. 2d platformers just aren't going to sell anymore these days, that's why we've got handhelds. :p

Skywalker

Space Jump
I really don't mind

I've been a Metroid fan for quite a few years, so naturally, I know the series quite well. I really don't mind because if Nintendo does it right, there could be a new dimension of gameplay.

For instance, once Samus takes enough damage, she'll lose her power suit and transform into Zamus. That's what I hope happens. It wouldn't just be sexual appeal; that'd actually make sense--the whole suit-shedding thing.

Besides, if think Zamus is too sexually suggestive, beat Metroid: Zero Mission with 100% and see the ending. . . .

Top Bottom