• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: "If we Direct Smash ONLY at The Competitive Players, It Will Have No Future."

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't understand how you got egocentric and childish from my post. Fire him from the smash franchise and give someone else the oppurtunity. He makes a mockery of anyone that ever got this game into Esports, commentators, people who practice this game and try to make it competetive, people who post on these forums. Him completely dismissing a major part of the smash community is childish.
...Now you are just overreacting. In no way he said nor implied all the things you mentioned.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Then you're only playing with like 5% of what the games can offer.
I'd argue that you're only experiencing a fraction of the depth of what the game can offer, and think you're experiencing more because it's dressed up nicely.
I get that your angry, but suggesting to fire a man because his opinion for a competitive game differs from yours couldn't be more childish and egocentric.
When that person is in charge of making the competitive game, it's actually an understandable sentiment to wish him not to be in that position.

If Smash Bros. taught us anything, it's that it doesn't take complex button presses a la Guilty Gear or BlazBlue to be competitive. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a competitive Smash scene or even a Pokémon scene to begin with. Sometimes, it's all about one's intuition that wins.
I don't see how Smash has taught us this. One's intuition doesn't make them beat Mew2King in Melee. Practice and knowledge and execution is tremendous. I do love that Smash did away with forced memorized button patterns, but if you really think that competitive Melee is physically easier to play than Guilty Gear, you never progressed far.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Ill wait tilll the "official" translation before I jump to only Project M

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Isn't the idea of something being competitive or not an OPINION?
Sure, the games were made for casual play but, we made it our own thing.
I don't want Smash 4 to die as a game, I just don't feel like it's as competitive as other games and it could die
AS A COMPETITIVE GAME for that reason.

But this is all opinionated anyways.

inb4 arguments about what is competitive or not
(and I don't want that to happen)
It's not an opinion.
The creator of Smash said it's not a competitive game.

That means it isn't a competitive game.

Sure, you can play it as a competitive game, which is completely fine, but at its core, it is isn't one.

Therefore, one can't complain that it isn't competitive enough.

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159
Sakurai really seems to dislike competitive play or have some skewed view on it. This makes me really want a new director next game. Smash as a whole has no future that sucks to hear and even tells people to find another game wow..
I'm sorry to hear that you either didn't understand what you just read or just decided to comment on the headline and skip the rest. Either way, it's sad.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Just when I thought he learned his lesson about intentionally alienating his fans, he goes out and directly insults them. Not even any sugar-coating or passive-aggressiveness this time. Just a flat-out "get out of my game", with no room for misinterperetation.

Farorae

Smash Ace
Lol everyone is so salty you all need to calm down, calling him ******** and dumb is so uncalled for and childish.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Smash fanbase, ladies and gentlemen
Albeit, he is working himself to multiple health issues at this rate. Seems like each iteration comes at a cost except for the first one. Wouldn't be surprised if he retired from game development a few decades down the road.

Last edited:

D.A. RAFA

Smash Cadet
NNID
Prince_Judah_85
3DS FC
1392-6557-5159
It's not an opinion.
The creator of Smash said it's not a competitive game.

That means it isn't a competitive game.

Sure, you can play it as a competitive game, which is completely fine, but at its core, it is isn't one.

Therefore, one can't complain that it isn't competitive enough.
But that's not what he says. He said, If you want to play this game competitively you can, but there is no future in it. That statement is open up for debate and can be viewed in many different ways. Only he really knows what he meant by that. And on top of that, if he doesn't feel the game is competitive, WHY THEN does he choose to throw out patches to BALANCE the game? explain that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Just when I thought he learned his lesson about intentionally alienating his fans, he goes out and directly insults them. Not even any sugar-coating or passive-aggressiveness this time. Just a flat-out "get out of my game", with no room for misinterperetation.
100% this WHOLE thing is misinterpreted and people are overreacting without reading the whole thing.

Panda334

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4399-0464-4610
I just joined the smashboards yesterday, and I know this guy is a dumb ass. It's sad to see that the director of the game would say it's not competitive and you should move to a new game. Wow. That's like saying pokemon has no competition. Did you see the world finals!?!?!??! And young people can still play that game. Injustice is a competitive game and my 6 year old cousin loves to play it. this guy is dumb of the asses

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
When that person is in charge of making the competitive game, it's actually an understandable sentiment to wish him not to be in that position.
In no way an overreaction like that is understandable nor acceptable. Specially when it the reason it is being said is because of said developer not measuring to one's personal demands.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No matter what the article says, one thing is true.

Who decides if Smash lives or dies as a competitive game are the fans.

Remember the Melee spirit bomb?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Sakurai's view on competitive smash aside:

"For some reason I promised to make Mewtwo"

The way this is said makes me sad.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
Casual play got boring for me because after exploring all the content and playing tons of casual matches. It got repetitive basically.

Competitive play keeps me playing because I always learn new things and improve on the things I already know. Also it's fun applying the Melee advanced tech.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I just joined the smashboards yesterday, and I know this guy is a dumb ***. It's sad to see that the director of the game would say it's not competitive and you should move to a new game. Wow. That's like saying pokemon has no competition. Did you see the world finals!?!?!??! And young people can still play that game. Injustice is a competitive game and my 6 year old cousin loves to play it. this guy is dumb of the *****
Calling someone a Dumbass because you dont agree and or misinterpret what he said is Childish and immature. If you came on Smashboard to act like an ass, Im sorry

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I get the distinct feeling that he doesn't understand what makes for a competitive game. Which is fine, lots of people don't, but as an influential gaming director he should be able to recognize this and not touch the subject. Talking out of his *** will only spread misconceptions even further than they already are.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
But that's not what he says. He said, If you want to play this game competitively you can, but there is no future in it. That statement is open up for debate and can be viewed in many different ways. Only he really knows what he meant by that. And on top of that, if he doesn't feel the game is competitive, WHY THEN does he choose to throw out patches to BALANCE the game? explain that.
He created the game as a party game. He said that in several interviews.

He did the patches because, while it is mainly a party game, he still needs to acknowledge the competitive base.
There are a large amount of players who prefer to play it competitively, so he can't ignore them, but his main focus is the general audience, and he wants to make it as much a party game as he can.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Casual play got boring for me because after exploring all the content and playing tons of casual matches. It got repetitive basically.

Competitive play keeps me playing because I always learn new things and improve on the things I already know. Also it's fun applying the Melee advanced tech.
what people dont see is that they can still play competitively but choose to cry about something that they didn't read all the way through

Last edited:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I don't see anything in this article (what is translated so far anyways) that is at all new or remotely surprising.

And yet this news article got six pages of comments almost instantly.

Such is the nature of hot button issues.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future.
KSAKFHasdkfhkasjhgksahkjs (Translation: Sakurai has predicted the End of the World)
But seriously, that's a bad statement to leave 2014 with. Many will be discouraged.
But I hope many will be encouraged to keep pressing the meta and show this doofus how competitive we can take the Smash series. The train doesn't stop until it runs out of track, and we still got a lot of track left.

Panda334

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4399-0464-4610
In no way an overreaction like that is understandable nor acceptable. Specially when it the reason it is being said is because of said developer not measuring to one's personal demands.
I don't really understand what your trying to get at...?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
No, it definitely is. It's not one's personal demands, it's quite literally deliberately eschewing the entire competitive community.

It's like asking for someone other than George Lucas to direct the next Star Wars because he's butchered it so bad. And a bunch of little kids shout "But we liked Episode 1! Jar Jar was a great character in a kids movie."

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No Smash game has ever had this been the main focus.

PM tries, but fails the moment in introduces L-cancelling again.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Awaiting a more official translation with a less HEY LOOK AT THIS type of tittle. If this happens to be the actual case, congrats Sakurai, you pulled competitive smash as a whole back to pre-invitiational period. Let's just forget the No Johns and everything else.

little rant on for glory mode below/compeititvre viewpoints, ignore if you wish.

Otherwise, for anyone claiming that smash 4's for glory mode is a legit example of Sakurai looking at us, if that actually happens to be his viewpoint I can understand this article if it happens to be what the author of this blog post said.

You guys still do realize that For Glory is 50 Shades of Final Destination, right?

I would like to note that outside of an old Youtube vid/otherwise meme concerning fox and final destination, we don't play on FD only and FD isn't even the most common stage in either Melee or brawl (or 64 but well, the stage is only game shark hackable.) He treated us as a joke when it was listed as FD only?

You do realize that he didn't actually input a proper ranking system and specifically said they wouldn't. He surely made smash 4 a more competitive game. I actually think that tripping was removed was since everyone disliked the idea, not just the comp community.

But that is obviously just my opinion, right?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I just joined the smashboards yesterday, and I know this guy is a dumb ***. It's sad to see that the director of the game would say it's not competitive and you should move to a new game. Wow. That's like saying pokemon has no competition. Did you see the world finals!?!?!??! And young people can still play that game. Injustice is a competitive game and my 6 year old cousin loves to play it. this guy is dumb of the *****
Having a different opinion about the competitive aspect of the game is not being dumb. And if bothered to read the whole thing rather than bolded part you would be more informed and less prone to act in a childish manner.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
As a Japanese translator, I think that the paragraph highlighted could be translated better. Sakurai was not firing shots at the competitive community whatsoever. Just look at the paragraph before it. Play the game the way you like it.

Rags

Smash Ace
I personally dont care what he did to smash 4 , because i would play PM anyway, but smash 4 is a fun AND competitive game. to say competitive smash has no future when it literally already exists and has existed for the past 13 years, is silly, Smash is a fighting game and fighting games are going to be competitive.
It will be, personally, I still am not sure if I can take Smash 4 seriously as far as it being competitive, and a game where I don't feel like my skills are rewarded I won't play serious, but it is fun. Though I take that to mean that the game won't last long competitive. I just don't see it carrying much depth. Maybe it's just me

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
How is anything what I said personal demands? The sentiment I stated has been expressed by thousands since the release of Brawl.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
He said "if you want a competitive game go play street fighter". You can't mistranslate that, period.

This is the third new article that has something out of context to get views and people have been jumping the gun in the comments with stuff out of context and then as a result with multiple posts that need to be dealt with and I can't since I am not part of the news group.
Ohh that's too bad that you can't censor people on this section of the forum.

Last edited:

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
I'm enjoying the game so far it isn't perfect and has it own set of issues. I was originally gonna buy it used due i didn't want to support nintendo or suckerai.
didn't want to support nintendo...You play a Wii U online? Then you are apart of the content since users can play against you online. By you using your system you are indoctrined into their system. Did you allow spectators to view your matches? Then yes, you are simply adding more into their value. You get it? Using it does already support them.

Top Bottom