• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai focuses on one thing...Neglects another?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
With todays sticker update they have shown how much time they've put into the sticker...Specific powers for each one, plus they have to translate those powers into gameplay....

Surely, this had to take some time...So, this in the game or one more playable character? Once again, I'd go with the playable chracter, no questions asked.
The guys in charge of making the stickers are NOT the guys in charge of making playable characters!!!

Learn a bit about how a development team works. Sakurai isn't making the game alone.

Kado

Smash Cadet
I created this thread to express a fear I have regarding numerous things that have been revealed....

The basis of this thread is this: Is Sakurai wasting development time on things like mini-games, assist trophies, and stickers and thus neglecting the creation of characters or other unique features that could me implemented.

I'll start by saying this...In my opinion, if the trophy game and stickers got in the way of developing even ONE character, I'd be disappointed. Yes, I would prefer to have a single character at the expense of stickers and the trophy game.

Second, assist trophies...With all these models of great characters I asked myself this question....Would I have rather had them not include assist trophies, if that meant a few of those characters could have been playable fighters? Oh hell yea. If not having assist trophies meant having little mac, samuraih goroh, and starfy as playable characters, I wouldn't think twice-Give me three more characters and away with the assist trophies-great idea, but I'll take the characters-Hell, I'd even go as far to say even for JUST little mac and Starfy....

Drop stickers and give me more color choices.....Drop a mini-game give me unique target breaks...

I feel like Sakurai's trying to implement so much, he may be limiting his own playable roster.
Geez! Would everyone quit calling him Starfy! His name is STAFY! No R's!

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
So this would be your menu screen

Play da game

Stage selection
Line stage
Square stage

Character selection 145

no credits to much time
i dont think thats what he's trying to say at all, he hasnt stated anything about taking away from the single player mode, sse or wifi battles, all he has said that some of these little things like stickers and some AT could be taking away from playable characters

kobefox2485

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alfredo24pr
who cares about the stickers, and adventure mode, assist trophies. Characters and stages is the prioity not the items and extras

cheezysnacks

Smash Cadet
U can't possible make a game with unlimited character roster though... not if you want all the characters to be balanced. if this roster is 35 characters and all the characters are fairly well balanced I will consider one of the greatest feats in gaming history. plus i'm sure he has a specific group working on the extras while a vast majority of the staff is polishing the character roster and move set and SSE.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
ya I would prefer to have a well developed, well balanced, engaging, and fun to play game not just 80 characters and a versus mode i like all the additional stuff he's putting into the game that lottery was a crock of **** and now we have a fun mini game to play now instead of put coins in get trophy. and as for the AT most of them are characters that while are known are not big enough to have a full role in the game so he's gives them their 15 minutes of smash fame with this game. So I'm quite happy with the current development of this game there will be more smashes and more characters added so I'm will to let characters slide for the development of a better game overall.

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice
I'm tired of people underapreciating Sakurai, get yourself a life and try and duplicate ANYTHING sakurai has done, its amazing he's tolerated you hating fans. Seriously, you should be a apreciating all he's done, instead of tearing everything he's done into shreds and bashing him on everything.

If you had a huge-*** roster, it would be like dragonball Z, not smash. You just don't know what your talking about...

TMS

Smash Journeyman
I'm tired of people would would take 5 extra characters instead of the Subspace Emissary and Stage Builder.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
and they dint use alot of time creating the stikers since they official art of games aredy released

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I created this thread to express a fear I have regarding numerous things that have been revealed....

The basis of this thread is this: Is Sakurai wasting development time on things like mini-games, assist trophies, and stickers and thus neglecting the creation of characters or other unique features that could me implemented.

I'll start by saying this...In my opinion, if the trophy game and stickers got in the way of developing even ONE character, I'd be disappointed. Yes, I would prefer to have a single character at the expense of stickers and the trophy game.

Second, assist trophies...With all these models of great characters I asked myself this question....Would I have rather had them not include assist trophies, if that meant a few of those characters could have been playable fighters? Oh hell yea. If not having assist trophies meant having little mac, samuraih goroh, and starfy as playable characters, I wouldn't think twice-Give me three more characters and away with the assist trophies-great idea, but I'll take the characters-Hell, I'd even go as far to say even for JUST little mac and Starfy....

Drop stickers and give me more color choices.....Drop a mini-game give me unique target breaks...

I feel like Sakurai's trying to implement so much, he may be limiting his own playable roster.
If the game turns out to be as big of an unbalanced mess as Melee was, then I agree: I will be royally pissed that so much time was spent on frivolous extras while the core game badly needed balance.

I'd take 20 balanced characters over 40 characters with blatant tiers, personally.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I'm tired of people would would take 5 extra characters instead of the Subspace Emissary and Stage Builder.
I would. The only reason I'd play the SSE is to unlock stuff. I don't think I or most other people on these boards would actually go back to it once we was finished doing that. Brawl, like Melee and SSB64, will be famous for its multiplayer, which is what I intend to play, not whatever single player they decide to throw into the game.

EDIT: In response to the person above me, Melee was NOT an unbalanced game, relative to other fighters out there. Some characters are better than others, but if you expect that not to happen in Brawl, you're in for a surprise, because it will. Making a balanced fighter game in which all characters are even is an impossible task. The fact that there ARE players like Taj, Gimpy, T!mmy and T0mmy, and DireVulcan in Melee, who use low-tier characters well makes Melee one of the most balanced fighters out there today.

Look at some other games. Many of them have grossly overpowered banned characters (Necrid in Soul Calibur 2, Akuma in street fighter) or characters so weak they can't ever compete (Sung Mina in SC2, I believe, was like this). Melee has neither of these things. Don't complain about Melee being unbalanced.

EDIT 2: In response to the person BELOW me now, Melee was a great game. Some people consider it a near-perfect fighter. It did not have "little things that added up", it had 25 characters, a little over a dozen stages, and a shoddy single player made for no reason other than to allow for unlockable characters and stages. I find it hard to believe that you argue the SSE, stickers and trophies are going to make Brawl a great game, because they certainly won't. I'd go as far as to predict that after the inicial hype following the game's release, we won't hear a thing about the SSE, stickers or trophies on these boards.

What will make Brawl a great game will be character diversity, hidden gameplay elements for players to find and implement, much like wavedashing was in Melee, deep gameplay like Melee had, and the ability to defeat your opponent by outsmarting them. If Brawl had Melee's single player, but was as deep a game as Melee was in terms of multiplayer, I would be happy with it.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman

he is trying to make the game appleal to more people, the people working on sticker, are separate from the people working on the characters, so when one thing is made, like stickers, it doesnt, i repeat, DOES NOT!!! take away from the other aspects of the game. If they took all of the small things out and just gave us a ton of characters and vs mode, it wouldnt ba a full game, the great thing about smash bros is all of the little things that add up, that is why the game lasts so long, you are always finding new things!

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I've only read the first post, and i'm just giving my opinion, so sorry if i'm repeating anything that someone else has said.

I love all the features. I don't think we should go about thinking 'What if', though. You've seen how huge this game is already, and the characters on the Dojo are equal to that of Melee, and the game's not even out yet, so i'd expect a good few more.

Also, i think the purpose of the assist trophies is the inclusion of characters that weren't intended to be playable. I don't think that Sakurai went into work one day and went, "Oh no, we've spent to much time on the other features that Samurai Goroh is going to have to be an assist trophy." He was never intended to be a character, because assist trophies are Sakurai's way of including characters he didn't want to be playable.

TMS

Smash Journeyman
I would. The only reason I'd play the SSE is to unlock stuff. I don't think I or most other people on these boards would actually go back to it once we was finished doing that. Brawl, like Melee and SSB64, will be famous for its multiplayer, which is what I intend to play, not whatever single player they decide to throw into the game.
I'd consider the SSE multiplayer, too. With co-op and all.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'll definitely be playing multiplayer a crapton more than SSE.

Like I said, it's ALL about balance. If the characters are balanced, then I don't care how many other extras are in the game.

But if I quickly find that every online match consists of me playing against 3 (insert overpowered character name here) players, then I'm going to send Sakurai a box of fire ants in the mail for forgetting where the real priorities of a fighting game lie.

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice

EDIT: In response to the person above me, Melee was NOT an unbalanced game, relative to other fighters out there. Some characters are better than others, but if you expect that not to happen in Brawl, you're in for a surprise, because it will. Making a balanced fighter game in which all characters are even is an impossible task. The fact that there ARE players like Taj, Gimpy, T!mmy and T0mmy, and DireVulcan in Melee, who use low-tier characters well makes Melee one of the most balanced fighters out there today.

Look at some other games. Many of them have grossly overpowered banned characters (Necrid in Soul Calibur 2, Akuma in street fighter) or characters so weak they can't ever compete (Sung Mina in SC2, I believe, was like this). Melee has neither of these things. Don't complain about Melee being unbalanced.
Agreed, melee is good, but I think what Sakurai has done is made a good balance between single player and multiplayer.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Agreed, melee is good, but I think what Sakurai has done is made a good balance between single player and multiplayer.
Oh, yes, don't get me wrong. Rereading my previous post, I may come off as hating on the single player aspects, but I'm not. evilflame101 is right, different people work on different parts of the game, so adding something like the SSE doesn't "use up time" otherwise useful for character/stage/whatever implementation. As long as that's true, go ahead and put in a SSE, stickers, triphies, fancy 3-piece items (the Dragoon) and anything else imaginable! I will enjoy it when I play it, for sure.

My point of view though, is that the SSE and such isn't going to have much replay value, contrary to what some people here seem to think. TMS, you responded to me with "I'd consider the SSE multiplayer, too. With co-op and all.", and I'd like you to take a look at the Halo series. All those games had coop campain (to which the SSE is equivalent in SSBB), but that's not considered "replay value" by most people who play the game. They all love the competitive online. I agree that coop SSE was a good idea, I really do, and I will play it with, say, my sister, who just likes to enjoy the game casually. But in the long run...that won't really keep me entertained. Online multiplayer? That might do it though :)

onniichan

Smash Rookie
Nice, very nice, the SSE newest update revealing how stickers can be applied to trophies. The one problem is that it's all offline, but even this could be assuaged by an online records table.

The only one problem I am afraid of is how suitable for 'professional play' this game will be. In my humble opinion, Melee was a fluke. A total fluke - so many advanced techniques revolved around the wave dash engine glitch. It's why there is such a difference between low and high tier characters. This time they are making it seem like they are focusing on making the game playable with their own stubborn content.
I haven't even played SSBB, so let me iterate that my opinion is modest. Maybe my opinion is a bit harsh, but with SSBM's popularity among their own staff, they could've easily take advantage of it's engine glitches and incorporated them into SSBB. Everyone would love it, and you can't say otherwise. What are they trying to do? Is Sakurai's incessant desire to make friendly games for the general audience seeping through? Or were the engine changes made for SSE - for money? Maybe it was all a mistake.

EDIT: I was contemplating on editing the message, clicked Edit and woah. Message deleted. Thank the gods I had it copied.
My post is a bit of a ramble, so I will try to clarify. From what I have seen, SSBB's gameplay is very much different from SSBB's. For example, everything's a bit slower. Another would be... air dodge directioning. Eh, I'm tired of typing. Pretty new to these forums, so please don't be too harsh on your replies. :psycho:

EDIT2: once again, failed. Sorry for double-post...

YoshiAngemon

Smash Cadet
Look, I know it's a drag, okay? But, let me give you the lowdown on what development teams there are:

First, there's Sakurai, who is in charge of the whole thing. Then there's the Wi-Fi Division, in charge of the Nintendo WFC Support. There's also the Playable Character Division, and the Assist Trophy/Pokemon Division. There's also the Musicians, in charge of making the music that should be in the game. At this rate, I'd say that there's OVER 9000 People working on the game overall, if you count the staff members behind each individual franchise.

DinnerSonic

Smash Cadet
I'm no Smash professional, but things like Wavedashing and the like... aren't they what cause Melee from being a 20 some character game to a 5 character game?

Anyway, I believe that Assist Trophies are characters that, for whatever reason, were not suitable for playing. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough, but I can't imagine a good moveset for Little Mike that wouldn't generally be pretty boring without a possibly uncharacteristic change. He's a boxer, so he'd more then likely only use his fists... how many different ways can you punch, even if you include the uppercut, which would probably be an up special move? If he ever was thought of as a possible playable character, that might be a reason why he isn't. Then again, maybe he was never going to get in the game at all before the concept of Assist Trophies was thought of.

Samurai Goroh is one of the only viable F-Zero playable characters, but if he too was thought of as a possible playable character(as opposed to "Thanks to Assist Trophies, we can get him in the game with a useful role, rather then just making him a trophy/sticker")I think he'd end up being too close to the other sword users. We have Link, an all around good sword user with gadgets, Meta Knight, a fast slashing flying sword user, and Ike, a slow but super strong sword user. Then there's the remote chance Ike didn't kick Marth out of the game, which would make Marth a non-gadget using less 'magical' sword user. If you take into account the possibility of one or two more characters taking up any remaining variants of "sword" styles that could be thought of, Goroh would probably seem rather dull in the whole swordfest.

Stafy is a bit of an odd character, he doesn't seem like he'd have many attacks at all without new ones, especially out of water, he doesn't seem like he'd have much room for much if any variety in physical attacks, even if you take into account any other characters he could pull from. Maybe I don't know the series well enough... still, I feel Stafy wouldn't really of been a viable playable character choice, and that he'd of not appeared at all outside of a trophy and maybe sticker set if he wasn't an assist trophy. That's the point of these, if the Assist Trophies weren't there, we wouldn't have the characters involved in battles at all, most likely.

Darkurai

Smash Master
This thread is fail, and I'm surprised it's gotten as many posts as it has.
Brawl has the biggest development team a video game has ever had. The team is broken up into different "sections", and each team works on a different part (stickers, trophies, SSE, Characters, etc.). They're all working at the same time.

hjihjihjihji

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3014-8369
That was shown on October 10th b/c Sonic was the ONLY possible update that could even HOPE to offset the delay (of course, it failed miserably).
Sonic was shown because he was announced at the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 the day before and would have been leaked if not revealed

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I love how people assume that, because different people are working on different parts of Brawl that these different teams aren't all eating off of the same budget.

I believe Brawl is likely the most highly funded Nintendo project right now, but the thing is, if you're paying people to make stickers, that's money that isn't going to pay testers.

That aside, Sakurai is only one person and his attention must be spent focusing equally on each aspect, and I'd frankly rather imagine Sakurai watching like a hawk over the shoulders of the testers than spending time with the sticker team.

There's no grounds for concern unless SSBB finds tiers within the first few months. Then I hope they start releasing online balance patches to correct it.

It's either online patches and 30 characters or no patches and 5 characters.

agag19

Smash Rookie
I'm just going to say one thing and that's:

Game developing doesn't work that way and it's a good thing Brawl doesn't revolve around you.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
so do any of you people actually have the number of people on his development team, cause i would like to know how you came across this information

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
so do any of you people actually have the number of people on his development team, cause i would like to know how you came across this information
It's pretty safe to say Brawl has a huge team, but Sakurai is still only ONE man and the director needs to oversee everything.

I just hope he spends more time on character balance than stickers.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty safe to say Brawl has a huge team, but Sakurai is still only ONE man and the director needs to oversee everything.

I just hope he spends more time on character balance than stickers.
well it probably does have a huge team, but people are dropping numbers like 9,000 people

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
so i think some people might owe this guy an apology because its looking like the 35 character roster is the real deal

which means that sakurai probably could've put a little more effort into having some more characters (ridley, k. rool., another 3rd party, etc.)

instead of things like having stickers being power ups, or masterpeices, because honestly if i want to play an old game i'd just download it off the virtual console and get the whole thing, not play a 5 minute demo, when i should be playing brawl with more then 35 characters

the roster should have more characters, nuff said

courte

Smash Lord
man... did you read iwata ask?? if so, you find out making SSE was like making a whole other game as certain aspects had to be changed... and you must have forgotten which game you're playing--this, SMASH, is first a foremost a tribute to nintendo's history in a slapstick manner and to include stickers is to include as much as possible

if all you want is chars out the a$$ [[not gonna lie, i myself wanted alot]] theres always mugen and your imagination cuz god knows with smash, and brawl more specifically nothing turns out the way we hoped/dreamed

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I absolutely agree to this, and shame on all of you who say otherwise. Heck, I'd even swap 10 more characters or something for ONLY multiplayer mode, nothing single player, nothing extra.

Everyone is like "boo"...ATs are amazing, the SSE is great...but in 3 months after having the game, we won't care anymore. We'll all just be playing VS again, and then it will set it...hey, it'd be nice if there were more characters to try out. It's just silly. I'd trade ALL extras for more characters. Easily.

The ONLY way I'd feel happy about adding extra stuff is if Sakurai already felt the roster was complete. He got everyone in he who should be in, unique characters, important characters, balanced roster...all that is done. Now that we've decided it's complete, let's add some more. Fine. But not a moment before.

And don't give me crap about quality over quantity. We got neither. We have 35 characters with a few clones mixed in and a few that no one wanted. That is not quality, and it certainly isn't quantity.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Also, want to know disappointment?

The stupidity of Sakurai.

- Instead of refreshing characters with new entities, like replacing Ness with Lucas, Marth with Ike, he puts in both and makes them too similar.

- He says Animal Crosser wouldn't fit because he's not a "fighter", but he puts in a stupid robot. He made Peach into a fighter, why not Animal Crosser?

- Instead of fixing the clones, with the past 2+ years he's had to develop this game, when Melee had much less time, he leaves them as is, and just adds gimmicks to the game, rather than worrying about the most important aspect of the game: the characters.

- Instead of making Lucario completely different from Mewtwo, like he should be, he's basically a reincarnation of Mewtwo.

- Mewtwo could have been kept and improved, like Metal Mewtwo or something, if needed. He was after all, one of the most unique characters.

- Instead of adding Krystal, a unique Starfox representative, he puts in Wolf, another cloney furry with a gun. Thanks.

- Falco's FS is almost the same as Fox's. In 2+ years you couldn't think of something better?

- Jigglypuff's FS has nothing to do with something she's known for, like singing and drawing on people's faces angrily. Instead, she clones Gigabowser. Great.

- Clones are still vaguely the same.

- Toon Link, who had so much potential, is a Young Link reincarnation. Instead of bombchus and wind powers, he basically replicates TP Link.

- He creates a poll and collects the results of the most wanted characters in the game. He completely disregards half of the top-wanted characters, and replace their roster positions with Melee clones and ROB.

- No voice chat. DS has it but not Brawl? Tis a sad world we live in.

- Ganon doesn't use his sword? What the hell?

- Gimmicks and game features galore! But the roster is weak, and full of uninteresting and unimaginative movesets. Is this how you want to be remembered for possibly your last entry in the Smash series, Sakurai? Two Links, almost exactly the same, four Zelda representatives, MORE Mario representatives, but only one F-Zero and Metroid rep? There are many more characters that deserved a place in Brawl more than pathetic attempts to "surprise" us, like ROB.

- Remind me. What was that **** 3 month delay for? What exactly were you doing? ROB? Who in bloody hell at your office approved the creation of a character who isn't even a real character? Who doesn't do anything?

You disappoint beyond anything possible, Sakurai.
And to think, this is possibly your last Smash game.
You wanted to impress people so badly. You added so many gimmicks and features of things to add to Brawl, things that perhaps weren't even necessary, but just added to the experience. You were so caught up in things like stickers and sandbags, that you forgot what was most important. Refining, perfecting, honing, and creating an All-star roster, each character unique to the next, that would be remembered through the ages. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of awesome characters, but alot of the characters ,movesets, stats, and clones, could have been mightily improved, and I think many would have rather you spent your time focusing on that than silly gimmicks. It's sad when your own fanbase can design, imagine, and create characters better than you can sometimes.

Consider me slightly disappointed...

In 2+ years of development...man.
It's a clone war with ROB thrown in for ****s and giggles.
And furries with guns.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also, want to know disappointment?

The stupidity of Sakurai.

- Instead of refreshing characters with new entities, like replacing Ness with Lucas, Marth with Ike, he puts in both and makes them too similar.

- He says Animal Crosser wouldn't fit because he's not a "fighter", but he puts in a stupid robot. He made Peach into a fighter, why not Animal Crosser?

- Instead of fixing the clones, with the past 2+ years he's had to develop this game, when Melee had much less time, he leaves them as is, and just adds gimmicks to the game, rather than worrying about the most important aspect of the game: the characters.

- Instead of making Lucario completely different from Mewtwo, like he should be, he's basically a reincarnation of Mewtwo.

- Mewtwo could have been kept and improved, like Metal Mewtwo or something, if needed. He was after all, one of the most unique characters.

- Instead of adding Krystal, a unique Starfox representative, he puts in Wolf, another cloney furry with a gun. Thanks.

- Falco's FS is almost the same as Fox's. In 2+ years you couldn't think of something better?

- Jigglypuff's FS has nothing to do with something she's known for, like singing and drawing on people's faces angrily. Instead, she clones Gigabowser. Great.

- Clones are still vaguely the same.

- Toon Link, who had so much potential, is a Young Link reincarnation. Instead of bombchus and wind powers, he basically replicates TP Link.

- He creates a poll and collects the results of the most wanted characters in the game. He completely disregards half of the top-wanted characters, and replace their roster positions with Melee clones and ROB.

- No voice chat. DS has it but not Brawl? Tis a sad world we live in.

- Ganon doesn't use his sword? What the hell?

- Gimmicks and game features galore! But the roster is weak, and full of uninteresting and unimaginative movesets. Is this how you want to be remembered for possibly your last entry in the Smash series, Sakurai? Two Links, almost exactly the same, four Zelda representatives, MORE Mario representatives, but only one F-Zero and Metroid rep? There are many more characters that deserved a place in Brawl more than pathetic attempts to "surprise" us, like ROB.

- Remind me. What was that **** 3 month delay for? What exactly were you doing? ROB? Who in bloody hell at your office approved the creation of a character who isn't even a real character? Who doesn't do anything?

You disappoint beyond anything possible, Sakurai.
And to think, this is possibly your last Smash game.
You wanted to impress people so badly. You added so many gimmicks and features of things to add to Brawl, things that perhaps weren't even necessary, but just added to the experience. You were so caught up in things like stickers and sandbags, that you forgot what was most important. Refining, perfecting, honing, and creating an All-star roster, each character unique to the next, that would be remembered through the ages. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of awesome characters, but alot of the characters ,movesets, stats, and clones, could have been mightily improved, and I think many would have rather you spent your time focusing on that than silly gimmicks. It's sad when your own fanbase can design, imagine, and create characters better than you can sometimes.

Consider me slightly disappointed...

In 2+ years of development...man.
It's a clone war with ROB thrown in for ****s and giggles.
And furries with guns.
This post pretty much sums up how I feel, but where was the leak of Jiggly's final Smash?

Top Bottom