• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai "aiming to make Super Smash Bros. best character game in the world"

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
hahahah what a joke

he already failed: Robin And Lucina instead of Chrom, Rosalina instead of Bowser Jr or Toad; possibly not having both of Dixie and K.rool, high chances of the zelda newcomer NOT being Pig ganon...

seriously.
So in other words, he failed because he didn't give you all the characters you wanted. :laugh:
Seriously though, Robin was in two Fire Emblem games while Chrom just came (can kinda understand how you feel about Lucina), I guess I can understand the Rosalina thing, and I get King K. Rool, but Dixie? Maybe I don't know much about her, but she looks about as important to Nintendo as a stick. :laugh:
So far, smash has some pretty great iconic characters.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Mewtwo just destroyed this thread.

Thanks, Mewtwo.

(but seriously guys stop with the sse stuff it's annoying)

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I will wait untill I see the full roster before I say if he succeeded. (though he obviously will...)

"All these characters will be available on both the Wii U and 3DS and were chosen right at the beginning of the game’s development – Sakurai admits he was lucky that Geninja proved popular, as development started long before Pokémon X and Y was released."

This makes me laugh, such a lucky guess.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
So in other words, he failed because he didn't give you all the characters you wanted. :laugh:
Seriously though, Robin was in two Fire Emblem games while Chrom just came (can kinda understand how you feel about Lucina), I guess I can understand the Rosalina thing, and I get King K. Rool, but Dixie? Maybe I don't know much about her, but she looks about as important to Nintendo as a stick. :laugh:
So far, smash has some pretty great iconic characters.
Robin was in just one game, wft you smoked. And of note: he was the deuteragonist of awakening, not the Protagonist... which is Chrom; hence why having robin instead of him, regardless of moveset potential, is a disgrace.

Dixie has been in more games than K.rool, actually has TWO games where she was the lead, and was actually considered for Brawl. I know the guy is popular, but K.rool isn't as important as dixie: playable > villain... which is sadly why Jr will never happen but wtv

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
2.) Sakurai does not care about the competitive community at all.
He cares, but not enough to dedicate his entire game to the competitive community.

Seriously though, Robin was in two Fire Emblem games while Chrom just came (can kinda understand how you feel about Lucina)
Robin was in one fire emblem.

The other custom characters from the other FE games was not robin.

Lucina made it in because of the same fighting style and extremely similar body structure. No time was needed to spend on animations, and changing the properties of moves can literally be done in a day. Only big thing was making the model.

Chrom was opted against because he would be "just another swordsman" This isn't to say he is a bad choice, but rather his moveset is to be expected. Lucina serves as a nice contradiction, but just take it as a clone as opposed to a new character.

Assuming if Ike didn't come back, chrom would of definitely made it in.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Robin was in just one game, wft you smoked. And of note: he was the deuteragonist of awakening, not the Protagonist... which is Chrom; hence why having robin instead of him, regardless of moveset potential, is a disgrace.

Dixie has been in more games than K.rool, actually has TWO games where she was the lead, and was actually considered for Brawl. I know the guy is popular, but K.rool isn't as important as dixie: playable > villain... which is sadly why Jr will never happen but wtv
Robin was in two, apparently he also was in a game with Marth.
Edit: NVM, appearently the other times it was a different custom.
But I still think Robin severed a little more significant a than Chrom.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Overall, Chrom beats Robin. yu can't call Robin a protagonist if he becomes no better than an extra during extended periods of time.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
You have my condolences guedes.

I'd feel more sympathy for you, but Robin was my most wanted newcomer.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Very glad Chrom didn't make it. Having another generic sword guy from Fire Emblem would've been very bad imo. (no responses about Lucena pls, clones dont count imo)

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Overall, Chrom beats Robin. yu can't call Robin a protagonist if he becomes no better than an extra during extended periods of time.
Well, Sakurai said he put Robin instead of Chrom because Robin has something new to the table.
Then Sakurai contradicted himself by adding in Lucina... :laugh:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Well, Sakurai said he put Robin instead of Chrom because Robin has something new to the table.
He didn't contradict though. :p Lucina was just lucky and used to expand dong roster a Little. Her model was already done and all. Sakurai never meant he would make Chrom a clone, and he would of course have had unique moves. But he wouldn't bring much new to the game.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Lucina was an exception, but he contradicted himself with Mii Swordsaman, who does far, far less than what Chrom could do, assuming Sakurai would forget his love for Robin to try and look at something. there is plenty that Robin himself could've done to represent his games better that he didn't, and could have been used by Chrom (weapon switching as sidegrades rather than upgrades, major use of pair ups, skills, axes and lances)

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Lucina was an exception, but he contradicted himself with Mii Swordsaman, who does far, far less than what Chrom could do, assuming Sakurai would forget his love for Robin to try and look at something. there is plenty that Robin himself could've done to represent his games better that he didn't, and could have been used by Chrom (weapon switching as sidegrades rather than upgrades, major use of pair ups, skills, axes and lances)
I disagree. It looks as if the Mii Swordfighters would do more than Chrom, with their unique custom moves and such.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I hate people who say "you can't cut X! he/she has a unique moveset"

And then I point to Mewtwo, Ivysaur and Squirtle, and maybe even Snake.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I kinda want to point something I found promising for this game in the interview.

I remember that before starting development, he said that after he checked the brawl site and think about what he did in brawl, he claimed that this game was a "miracle".

We're almost at release in Japan of the next installment and at the beginning, he says exactly the same thing.

If he claim that this game is a miracle while he did the same for brawl, it means that he he did so well in his perspective that he impressed himself compared to what he did in brawl.

Which does look good for this game imo.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
smash bros. 4 is going to be a great game. so much content and nostalgia. so far it looks great even with gameplay mechanics being balanced. it doesn't matter what other people say, smash 4 will be its own game with its own fanbase. my hope for it is that people will come to accept the change for the better and build a competitive fanbase around it rather than try to mod it for their own needs. i've come to respect sakurai for all the work he's done. i don't think i would've been able to tolerate all the things he would have to do to try to please both sides of smash bros, casual and competitive.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Because 2/3 of the story didn't totally revolve around Robin and because Chrom wasn't pushed to the side as soon as that event happened.
K.Rool's a villain, main villain > Playable actually...you probably want some unimportant Metroid one-shot hunter rather than Ridley, don't you? Also, Rosalina has made a much bigger impact than Bowser Jr...she was like one of the main plot points of probably the best Mario game ever made, you want to compare that to a Bowser Scrappy Doo and a generic Mushroom Kingdom guard?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Because 2/3 of the story didn't totally revolve around Robin and because Chrom wasn't pushed to the side as soon as that event happened.
K.Rool's a villain, main villain > Playable actually...you probably want some unimportant Metroid one-shot hunter rather than Ridley, don't you? Also, Rosalina has made a much bigger impact than Bowser Jr...she was like one of the main plot points of probably the best Mario game ever made, you want to compare that to a Bowser Scrappy Doo and a generic Mushroom Kingdom guard?
I don't want either Ridley or Rool myself :happysheep:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm worried that the "sweet spot" Sakurai is aiming for won't actually be a sweet spot. He said he wanted to appeal to both newcomers to the franchise and Smash veterans, but followed it up again by stressing the new players to the franchise.

I just don't see why a game like Melee in terms of speed and techniques would turn off new players. Melee brought in a TON of new players, so speed obviously doesn't turn those people off.
It comes down to a matter of perspective of those creating the game more or less. Much of Melee seemed like a result of time restrictions during development then an intended choice. I sort of wonder what Melee would have been like if Sakurai had the time and staff he has now compared to when he was developing Melee. We may have ended up with a completely different game.

Booster

Smash Lord
He would need more then 55 characters to beat Marvel vs Capcom 2, which is currently the best character game in the world right now.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
It comes down to a matter of perspective of those creating the game more or less. Much of Melee seemed like a result of time restrictions during development then an intended choice. I sort of wonder what Melee would have been like if Sakurai had the time and staff he has now compared to when he was developing Melee. We may have ended up with a completely different game.

sakurai would have noticed what made melee broken and unbalanced. if he was aiming to have it as a party game, he would have removed L-canceling, wavedashing and the other advanced techniques. if sakurai wasn't rushing, melee would not have turned out the way it is today, and there probably wouldn't be so much of a rift in the smash community as it is today.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Nitpicking is stupid. The Smash series is an amazing celebration of all things Nintendo. If a handful of characters requested by fans didn't get in, that doesn't mean Sakurai failed.

Sheesh.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
One thing I'd like to say about Lucina is that she never would have been put into the game, if she wasn't a clone. As Sakurai said, Chrom was never even planned to be in the game, so she also didn't hurt his chances. By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame wouldn't have anything to do with Lucina, and would only include Robin had she not been a clone. This is because Lucina barely took any development time, so it was pretty easy to shove her in the game. I'm perfectly fine with Lucina being in the game as a clone, mostly because we got our Fire Emblem newcomer, so Lucina is in the game to be in the game, and isn't taking anyone's spot, hence Robin being in the game. Lucina also is basically how she should be, as she does try to mimic Marth, so...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find the statements about "making the best character game" is going to be flown way out of proportion when the roster comes out and people complain about how X and Y characters were excluded and feeling cheated.

Though, I will say that there is definitely a better sense of management and designing for both veterans and newcomers. Which is a bigger boon then people think.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Aside from the many playable characters, we also have a large number of assist trophies and pokemon to help out in battle and a ton of enemies in Smash Run? How can this not be the best character game in the world?

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Don't lump me in with the rest of them.

This isn't a matter of "us" and "them," broham. You just sound like a troll. Back the rhetoric off a few notches.
I knew I would get some hate responses but I truly don't get the mewtwo hype. I'm biased though because I think pokemon are lame and I was always a magic the gathering player.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly if Sakurai wants to achieve that goal, he would need to do the following to achieve that:
1. Return every character from Brawl (perhaps evolve Squirtle and Ivysaur into Blastoise and Venusaur). We've got 25/39 currently.
2. Bring back Mewtwo. That one remains to be seen.
3. Add great newcomers? Check.

Still, there's work to be done. We've got 14 Brawl characters left, Mewtwo left, and while the newcomers thus far (plus Shulk and the Chorus Men/Marshall) are great additions, we're still lacking K. Rool and Ridley confirmations, aka 2 villains (I say this because villain character have entirely different approaches to gameplay than traditional heroes like Mario, Link, and Mega Man) and 2 heavyweights (again, different gameplay) as well as being 2 very unique characters who also happen to be the most wanted potential newcomers left, and have been up there as the 2 most wanted Nintendo-owned characters for Smash 4 (along with the Villager) since Brawl came out.
Why? Just because someone has a different opinion to you?
Because the SSE took up over 60% of the time, effort, and focus of Brawl, and probably way more of that with the budget.

No one who actually plays Smash Bros. games wants that again.

Literally no one.

If it took up less time, or was something you could do post-release, sure, go ahead and do it, but quite frankly, the standard multiplayer and everything in it should be at least 90% of the focus.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
none of the story but the chapters where Robin was mind controlled revolve around Robin. Valdar didn't need Robin in this timeline, Grima already had a vessel (which was robin, but another Robin, ok). the sotry doesn't revlove around ANYONE, it revolves solely around the fire emblem.

gangrel wanted the Fire Emblem, Validar wanted the fire emblem, can considering walhart kept the Vert gemstone and safeguarded Tiki (which had azure), i'm sure he was planning on getting the other 3 gemstones and the actual FE as he went through the other continent.

And no, Chrom wasn't pushed to the side at any point. quick recap of the grima arc AKA spoilers:

1- Chrom wants the last gemstone, Sable, to safekeep the FE. meets with Validar; later he and Mind Controled!Robin have a brawl over the damn shield. Both guys are important. IIRC in this chapter the murderous Lucina event happens, everyone is important here in a way (because this event is meaningless overall, since nothing truly happened)
2- the shepherds want to enter the dragon table, Aversa and the deadlords block their path: nobody is noteworthy.
3- The premonition coming true, vs validar, both guys are important.
4- Chrom is trying to get exalted Falchion, and is the only important party in this chapter besides Naga, i guess.
5- Another Aversa chpater of un-noteworthiness.
endgame- Both characters are important, Robin more so.

Overall, the Walhart and Gangrel arcs revolved much more around Chrom than Robin (if we can even say the Walhart arc revolved around ANYONE besides say'ri...)

Not to mention Chrom's passive role as the Leader is a more important and noteworthy role than that of Robin's Tactician role

now, for the Mario reps: Bowser Jr is more important than you think, to the point of being the MAJOR VILLAIn (just like Ridley in his normal games) of Sunshine and the first NSMB (where he lead the koopa troop himself after bowser died ingame, AKA 90% of the damn game); which is a more noteworthy role than Rosalina had in both galaxy games, since she did basically nothing during most of G1, being only relevant at the ending and prologue... and was basically an extra in 2, doing nothing truly noteworthy.

and that's obviously not considering Bowser Jr did more stuff in the galaxy games than Rosalina. Sadly, Playable > Villain, but If we are to believe Aonuma, 3DW should've had a lesser development cycle than Smash, and as such Sakurai decided on Rosalian being playable fore that decision was made for 3DW. and villain > story NPC. That's obviously ignoring that Jr also had a lot of roles in previous Mario games, specifically NSMBW which outsold both Galaxy games TOGETHER. (why did my font shrink?!?!)

As for toad, i suppose being in almost all mairo games ever, being plaayble in 3, including one of the most succesful games ever: NSMBW, and having bigger roles than Roslaina in all non-galaxy games they were in together (especially 3dW) is
meaningless.

He outclassed Jr too, which is why i don't want him in smash right now., though he is a better
choice than Rosalina. As for your metroid-theme insult; I want Ridley. I wanted both him AND Dark Samus tho, but i'm fine with Ridley alone. Sylux and Rundas would be cool, though
undeserving

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lyn's chat in her DLC mission indicates that it was the same Robin in 13 as in 7.

Or, at worst, it was Mark/Morgan in both, as Morgan's Japanese name is Mark, the default name of the tactician in 7.

Besides, Chrom is just Marth with something like Hector's peronality. Unless they let him use his lances, Robin makes more sense from a gameplay diversity stance.

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
Nitpicking is stupid. The Smash series is an amazing celebration of all things Nintendo. If a handful of characters requested by fans didn't get in, that doesn't mean Sakurai failed.

Sheesh.
this is the most level headed, sincere, & truthful post in this thread since it devolved into madness.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I disagree. It looks as if the Mii Swordfighters would do more than Chrom, with their unique custom moves and such.
if Mii Brawler's moves are any indication, the Swordsmen miis would only have generic slash attacks, which is easy to outclass; but if you wanna saythey are the most unique just because they get more moves than other character; so i'd wager they are more unique than megaman or MGW. lol

what a joke of a logic

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I knew I would get some hate responses but I truly don't get the mewtwo hype. I'm biased though because I think pokemon are lame and I was always a magic the gathering player.
Then there are ways to state your opinion without being a jerk.

"I don't like Mewtwo. Mewtwo is dumb."

Is NOT the same as

"Mewtwo FANS are the worst people. They ruined this thread."

If the thread sucks due to negativity and whining, blame the individuals if you must. But do NOT cast a whole generic group of people as the bad guys. That is not just.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Robin, Lucina, and Chrom share roughly 1/3rd the story the same way Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood do in Fire Emblem 7.

It's not that hard to understand.

Besides that, Chrom just wasn't exciting enough, and honestly, Robin is.

More people "expected" Chrom than wanted him.

It's very similar to what happened with Zoroark vs. Greninja (although I'd argue Zoroark would still be amazing if it played like Wolverine in MvC, especially MvC2).

Meanwhile Robin had more fans, including here on SWF, and they were very vocal about their love.

As for Lucina, she's actually a lot more popular in Japan than Chrom.

Plus, people thought she'd be a Marth skin (which was true... for a while), so obviously she made sense as a Marth clone.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Then there are ways to state your opinion without being a jerk.

"I don't like Mewtwo. Mewtwo is dumb."

Is NOT the same as

"Mewtwo FANS are the worst people. They ruined this thread."

If the thread sucks due to negativity and whining, blame the individuals if you must. But do NOT cast a whole generic group of people as the bad guys. That is not just.
OK now you're just putting words into my mouth I never even said. I'm not looking for an argument, you are.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just curious, out of all the people crying for Mewtwo, how many bothered to main him in Melee, or even his buffed PM version? It's essentially a reaction of "Oh, cool, another character slot".
You don't have to main or even play a character to justify you wanting them.

Playing against them is essentially the same thing.

Besides that, Mewtwo is probably the most popular character in Project M right now (it helps that he's top tier).

As for Melee, most people who play Melee on a frequent basis are competitive players.

They don't play Mewtwo for the same reason they don't play Donkey Kong: they're low tier, and low tiers don't win tournaments.

They require more work to go farther, and honestly, in a play to win environment you can't let that kind of character hold you down.

That's why Hax dumped Captain Falcon (a character that hasn't won a major singles event ever and that will likely never change) for Fox.

Top Bottom