• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai "aiming to make Super Smash Bros. best character game in the world"

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I think it already is. There was really nothing quite like Smash bros when it came out in 1999. A platformer fighter with a percentage system that brought some of the most notable characters in video gaming history together. The first of its kind.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, he achieved this a long time ago, if not already in Smash 64 then at least in Melee, while Brawl absolutely hammered the nail in and made it unbeatable. In terms of what characters are present Smash is on a whole different level than any other game.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

As far as I'm concerned, he's achieved his goal by leaps and bounds. No other video game has a cast of characters so iconic. Even looking past the above four, heavyweights like Link, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu hoist Smash Bros to such high of a pedestal that it makes most other attempts look paltry. It's almost like Smash has a monopoly on all of the best characters. That's sort of why I think games like Playstation All-Stars tend to struggle with their rosters. Great games, and great characters, no doubt, but they lack the sheer star power and pop cultural recognition necessary to make them feel "grand" or "epic", which I feel only Smash has really accomplished.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I hope the last bit doesn't mean he's still making the game super similar to Brawl.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That's actually a nice opinion.

The Retro Quartet is complete, making rivals fight in the same game.

now where's snake :p

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think Sakurai has certainly already done it. With a nice healthy balance of Popular, iconic, and memorable characters with retro, historic, and revolutionary characters.

There is also the fact that with all these popular characters, there is quite the unique gameplay that makes this game different and fun.

Nintendo has such a wide range of IPs and I'm glad Sakurai is able to show it. It certainly helps that we can have guest stars as well. <3

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, there we go. Proof that Sakurai does not wish to repeat Brawl's mistakes.

I can only read this and smile. It's clear that Sakurai wants this game to shine on as long as Melee has. And hundreds of people testing it? This game will launch and be amazing. Mark my words.

Also, yeah, good call on Greninja.

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
He said nothing unexpected, but this is the way to go, and I am in total agreement with what he's doing. This game is going to be something else.

Last edited:

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
Sakurai definitely achieved this with Smash 64. It's a one of kind series that can be imitated but never duplicated. Smash practically owns the monopoly of the mascot fighter genre, which SBB created & mastered in one go. With an evolving roster of iconic characters that gets increased in each installment, it's pretty clear Sakurai has achieved his goal. & it's a beautiful thing. To think you've made video game history, by paying respect to video gamings history. That is Smash Bros, & it's poetry in motion.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'll believe it when I see Mewtwo.
I mean if he's trying to make this the best character game in the world, and doesn't add the most requested character for the game I just.

I just will never understand how he thought he accomplished that.

Renji64

Smash Lord
He knows smash veterns didn't like brawl so he adds nothing that appeals to them at all? He has only talked about the new player's experience. He achived the best character game when he added pac-man and megaman.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
"However, Sakurai would be inundated with requests on a daily basis, not just to add Miis, but characters that simply can’t exist within the universe – Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime being overwhelmingly popular with the game’s focal fanbase."
"I thought ‘If you want him in the game, why don’t you make him?’” laughs Sakurai. “So I created a tool for you to do just that. With the Mii Fighter creator you can have any character you want join the battle.”

I KNEW it. Well gentlemen, we have both succeeded AND failed. We made our 50,000 voices heard and yet still no Reggie. Instead we got the "You want Goku? Here make Goku." treatment.

*laughs*

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Once Snake is confirmed, I will be satisfied that his goal was a success. :troll:

D

Deleted member

He knows smash veterns didn't like brawl so he adds nothing that appeals to them at all? He has only talked about the new player's experience. He achived the best character game when he added pac-man and megaman.
Do you ever have anything positive to say about Smash 4?

Last edited by a moderator:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
The fact that he apparently still doesn't think Smash is the best character game in the world makes me wonder exactly how high his standards are in that regard. Short of people who say "my favourite character's not in, so the game isn't the best", I can't see many people denying that Smash is the greatest character game in the world, whatever their opinions on other parts of the games.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
That's actually a nice opinion.

The Retro Quartet is complete, making rivals fight in the same game.

now where's snake :p
I'm still a firm believer that Snake will return.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Show me ridley and mewtwo playable.

Then he is victorious of this goal easily.

Theres already quite a few that helps that hope for sakurai.

:4mario::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: This helps that hope of sakurai the most so far

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He finally has a playable frog. Mission accomplished Sakurai.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I will love the game without my unannounced most-wanted, so I am not worried. But IF Ridley and Mewtwo, and maybe Pig Ganon, are revealed, then Sakurai will have a tough time beating this game for the next Smash.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The fact that he apparently still doesn't think Smash is the best character game in the world makes me wonder exactly how high his standards are in that regard. Short of people who say "my favourite character's not in, so the game isn't the best", I can't see many people denying that Smash is the greatest character game in the world, whatever their opinions on other parts of the games.
Sakurai is, as far as I can tell, a perfectionist. This is his greatest asset and his biggest flaw. On the one hand, he graces the world with amazing and unique games, brought to life by that oh-so bizarre mind of his. On the other, he will stop at nothing until he achieves his visions (outside of time constraints lol), even to the point where it physically harms him, developing hand injuries and depriving himself of sleep.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Sakurai is, as far as I can tell, a perfectionist. This is his greatest asset and his biggest flaw. On the one hand, he graces the world with amazing and unique games, brought to life by that oh-so bizarre mind of his. On the other, he will stop at nothing until he achieves his visions (outside of time constraints lol), even to the point where it physically harms him, developing hand injuries and depriving himself of sleep.
Poor Sakurai, risking dire injury to spend 70% of Brawl's development on some awful Kirby game campaign.

It's nice that he's dedicated, as Melee never would have been what it was without long hours from him, but he's gone off the rails since then.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If he puts Ridley and K.Rool in this game, there won't be a way to top it on the next one. On the next Smash we will probably see the new Generation of Nintendo All-Stars.
Poor Sakurai, risking dire injury to spend 70% of Brawl's development on some awful Kirby game campaign.

It's nice that he's dedicated, as Melee never would have been what it was without long hours from him, but he's gone off the rails since then.
How about no? The SSE was amazing.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If he puts Ridley and K.Rool in this game, there won't be a way to top it on the next one. On the next Smash we will probably see the new Generation of Nintendo All-Stars.

How about no? The SSE was amazing.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
No, because simplistic level design, no difficulty, and no plot at all. KIRBY GAME

The long-ass final level was just an added bonus.

The fact that Sakurai spent most of his time, money, and effort on it is the reason Brawl was as ****ed up as it is.

Last edited:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
No, because simplistic level design, no difficulty, and no plot at all. KIRBY GAME

The long-*** final level was just an added bonus.

The fact that Sakurai spent most of his time, money, and effort on it is the reason Brawl was as ****ed up as it is.
So yes, effectively. You believe that SSE was terrible because of those elements, and that's fair enough. But when someone says that they don't believe that SSE was terrible because of those elements, you have a problem with it. You have a problem with the fact that they don't think the same way as you. That's what 'having a problem with other people having different opinions' is.

I'm not exactly disagreeing with you on the SSE. I wasn't a huge fan of SSE either. But the fact that someone else liked it isn't the end of the world.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
In that regard, you're right. The SSE itself was the problem because it left no time for making the game solid and balanced. I can tolerate the usual half-assed campaigns you see in fighters (though I never actually play them) as long as the PVP turns out fine, but that's not the case here.

inb4flamewar

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
He succeeded at making the best character game in the world when he let Captain Falcon beat the snot out of Mario, Link, and Fox fifteen years ago.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I think he's already achieved that. Nothing in the video game world can compare to Smash hype.

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
In that regard, you're right. The SSE itself was the problem because it left no time for making the game solid and balanced. I can tolerate the usual half-***** campaigns you see in fighters (though I never actually play them) as long as the PVP turns out fine, but that's not the case here.

inb4flamewar
I definitely agree on that point. Whatever one's opinion may be on the SSE, the fact remains that it almost certainly chewed through a lot of development time. I think the SSE would have been fine if it hadn't been so centralising. It felt to me like Sakurai was trying to make SSE the heart of Brawl, when the heart of a Smash game should always be multiplayer.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Hey Reserved, you never expanded on your theory in my Animal Crossing thread:troll:
On topic, I agree with most everyone else here Sakurai achieved this goal a long time ago.

Sakurai definitely achieved this with Smash 64. It's a one of kind series that can be imitated but never duplicated. Smash practically owns the monopoly of the mascot fighter genre, which SBB created & mastered in one go. With an evolving roster of iconic characters that gets increased in each installment, it's pretty clear Sakurai has achieved his goal. & it's a beautiful thing. To think you've made video game history, by paying respect to video gamings history. That is Smash Bros, & it's poetry in motion.
This is the best post.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah the heart of Smash is lies in multiplayer, I agree.

I'm so glad they're not taking the time to develop something as big as the Subspace Emissary so they can focus on higher-priority things such as gameplay tuning, balance, putting in more characters, stages, items, trophies, Assists, and such. I think this game's gonna be a blast because of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom