• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai "aiming to make Super Smash Bros. best character game in the world"

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster : You're forgetting two very basic things.

1.) Wii Fit Trainer is a completely random choice and waste of a character slot, and not just her.

2.) Sakurai is still at the helm and he will do his best to make it a random party game that will inevitably be unbalanced because of the way it's structured.
I... what? Waste of a character slot? Why? Because you don't like her? First, there are no slots. Second, no character is a 'waste'. She was picked to bring uniqueness, and for being the 'main character' of a extremely big-Selling game. Wii-Fit Trainer has nothing to do with anything balancing.

Also, what? I really can't take you seriously now.

@ Hydde Hydde
Well of course, never denied random characters from a wide range of franchise isn't important. ^^
And well, many games makes OP characters. It is easy to do. He knows MetaKnight got a lot of hate because of that, and as been said, he is making sure to balance it much more this time. No reason to not trust him on that for now. I mean, he did change the Pokémon mechanic even, though that may have been because of 3DS reasons as well, with the Changing.

And well, the SSE was great for what it was, especially for being in a fighting game. But it did cut off a lot of time and content from the game. I liked the SSE, but I am sorta happy it is gone.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Sakurai has already done it. This will the fourth time he does it. As far as character games go he has the best. Anything he adds now just makes it that much harder for anyone to even come close to a character game of this level.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Warning Received
You don't get it, do you? Let me reiterate.

1.) Wii Fit Trainer, though her game solid well, is as far from iconic as you can get. Yeah, she's unique, but most Nintendo characters are freakish enough to begin with. It's just a random character someone thought up. You might as well be adding Purdy from Zelda:TP because it's a character no one remembers or cares about, unlike the obvious Links and Pikachus.

2.) Sakurai does not care about the competitive community at all. Just because nutSak says there's balancing going on doesn't mean a whole lot when the direction he wants the series to go is as far away from tourney play as possible. Random-ass characters, like the idiot above me is asking for, are the focus. Items, pointless game modes, and other things are the focus. Just because the SSE is gone does not mean Sakurai plans to actually make the game function well.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Aaand there goes my last drop of respect for you, and I am ever so thankful you are not in charge of Smash Brothers.

@ praline praline
Don't worry, you are not an idiot for wanting a character. Some people just lacks imagination and creativity. ^^

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
This roster if you really have to criticize a bit well I think Sakurai just can break the ice of adding more "unexpected" characters, but on the whole this roster is just fine to me, who know what characters will be in this game?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
And well, the SSE was great for what it was, especially for being in a fighting game. But it did cut off a lot of time and content from the game. I liked the SSE, but I am sorta happy it is gone.
IM TOTALLY HAPPY it is gone.

It was a titanic effort that didnt paid off. I started playing it and got bored at the first half hour of playing...never touched it again.
One of the six pals that got Brawl, finished it...the rest didnt even bothered.

Smash is a fighting game, or a party fighting game, whatever. Theeres nothing wrong in having an adventure mode...as long as it is quick and to the point. The SSE was a gigsntic thing thathad little to do with the core of the game that is a fighting game.

Sak did an adventure mode so gigantic, it drained a lot of resources from Brawl, and in the end was nothing memorable apart from some nice videos (which im pretty sure costed some good money to do).

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
IM TOTALLY HAPPY it is gone.

It was a titanic effort that didnt paid off. I started playing it and got bored at the first half hour of playing...never touched it again.
One of the six pals that got Brawl, finished it...the rest didnt even bothered.

Smash is a fighting game, or a party fighting game, whatever. Theeres nothing wrong in having an adventure mode...as long as it is quick and to the point. The SSE was a gigsntic thing thathad little to do with the core of the game that is a fighting game.

Sak did an adventure mode so gigantic, it drained a lot of resources from Brawl, and in the end was nothing memorable apart from some nice videos (which im pretty sure costed some good money to do).
I actually played through it multiple times. I liked the SSE. The cutscenes were fun, and fighting enemies were neat (lack of actual Nintendo characters stinged, and the maze, while easy, took longer than it should have). But overall, I am happy it is gone. Just as long as there is at least a Melee-like Adventure instead.
The worst part about it was that it supposely killed off about 7 characters, among more. I would love a sequel to the SSE, made much better. But not at the cost of so much other content.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
Of course a topic about how Sakurai wants to make the best game possible turns into "Brawl sucks, Sakurai doesn't know what he's doing because that ain't Melee." And somehow adding a character from one of the most popular games of all time is a terrible decision, but there's absolutely no comment on having four from a small niche SRPG...

Anyways, I'm glad that they're rounding out the representation, instead of just picking from the most popular "hardcore" games. It's also wonderful that they're focusing on iconic third party characters instead of just advertising third party games (*cough*Playstation All-Stars...)

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
'This is a party game’,” reveals Sakurai.
Yet you first wanted to name this game 'Dragon Quest: The FIGHTING Game'? :laugh:

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
Random-*** characters, like the idiot above me is asking for, are the focus.
Woah, that guy didn't do anything. Man it doesn't take much to set you off does it?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yet you first wanted to name this game 'Dragon Quest: The FIGHTING Game'? :laugh:
Well, Think of it like this.

Mario is a family/party game. It is also a action platformer game.

Smash is obviously a Fighting game. Doesn't change the fact that it is a Party game. ^^

It doesn't matter what a game is called. We all know how it plays and what we like it to be.

@ Doomstar Doomstar
But at least we now know there is no Point in talking to him, so Always something, right?

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Well, Think of it like this.

Mario is a family/party game. It is also a action platformer game.

Smash is obviously a Fighting game. Doesn't change the fact that it is a Party game. ^^

It doesn't matter what a game is called. We all know how it plays and what we like it to be.
Yeah, it's a semi fighting-party game.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah, it's a semi fighting-party game.
Indeed. ^^ Even Melee is a party game. But being Calling it that doesn't ruin it for the 'hardcores'. I am still surprised by how much some people Think Calling it a party game somehow ruins the fighting aspect for them,

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
The idea is that any Nintendo fan can play the game, not just fighting/action fans. If you only play Pokemon, you should still be able to pick up Smash and play competently and have a chance of winning after only a few rounds against your friend that plays a lot of platformers. (in a non-competitive setting)

He doesn't mean party game in the same sense that Mario Party is a party game, or that it needs to remove depth to accomplish that. You can still keep your friends by playing Smash.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I lost MasterofMonster's last drop of respect for me.

crieing so hard

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
...I can't believe you truly think what you just said, Fox.

1.) Wii Fit Trainer, though her game solid well, is as far from iconic as you can get. Yeah, she's unique, but most Nintendo characters are freakish enough to begin with. It's just a random character someone thought up. You might as well be adding Purdy from Zelda:TP because it's a character no one remembers or cares about, unlike the obvious Links and Pikachus.[/spoiler]
Indeed, her game sold well, and she's pretty wacky and unique. REALLY, where's the problem?

2.) Sakurai does not care about the competitive community at all. Just because nutSak says there's balancing going on doesn't mean a whole lot when the direction he wants the series to go is as far away from tourney play as possible. Random-*** characters, like the idiot above me is asking for, are the focus. Items, pointless game modes, and other things are the focus. Just because the SSE is gone does not mean Sakurai plans to actually make the game function well.
The thing I like the most about Smash is seeing all these items, "pointless" game modes, stages, characters... of many different videogame sagas, isn't that the game's goal? Smash would be pointless if everything was about the sheer gameplay. Look, I love Brawl, and I know and understand why Brawl was a disappointment for many, but let's wait until the game is out and we have played it for a good while before saying the game won't function as it should.

And please have respect.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I am still surprised by how much some people Think Calling it a party game somehow ruins the fighting aspect for them,
I think the game is party game and always has been since day 1.

The community transformed it into a high ceiling fighting game because Melee let us do it. I think this is when thing twisted.

Melee is marvelous, a gem of a ame. Sadly, it seems it wasnt intended to be SO hardcore. But IMO, even when Melee was Sakurai´s mistake.... i still think it has been the most marvelous mistake ever,

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
The thing I like the most about Smash is seeing all these items, "pointless" game modes, stages, characters... of many different videogame sagas, isn't that the game's goal? Smash would be pointless if everything was about the sheer gameplay. Look, I love Brawl, and I know and understand why Brawl was a disappointment for many, but let's wait until the game is out and we have played it for a good while before saying the game won't function as it should.
Yes, thats the appealing of the game. And i love the amount of content and effort Nintendo puts in this game.
But before ALL OF IT....the core gameplay must be totally polished and enjoyable. If the core gameplay is alsmot flawless...all that extra content named items, adventure modes, trophies etc..... will be enjoyable.

If the gameplay is shallow... it doesnt mater how many SSE modes you add, how many characters , items , thropies etc you add.... the game will be not enjoyable.

Sak needs to get this straight before giving priorities to gimmicks and "for the lolz" things.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also, watch Sony make a new Playstation All-stars and try to include Mario, Sonic, PAC-Man, and Megaman. :laugh:
But instead of Mario they'll have Rayman. :laugh:

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I lost MasterofMonster's last drop of respect for me.

crieing so hard

You Think 'random characters' ruins balance.
Wii-Fit Trainer steals a slot and is somehow not worthy of a spot in the game because of no reason.
You insult someone unrelated for no reason.
You dragged me into a argument for saying I'd like the game with or without Mewtwo.
You Think the game obviously sucks because it's apparantly not Melee2 for some reason.
Modes and Items and Stages and such are a waste.
You call Sakurai hilariously bad names.

Do I need to go on? Do try to make me seem like the bad guy if you want, but you are clearly not mature enough to argue about this with. Don't expect to be taken seriously when you're being a d*ck to someone for no reason.

And that is the last I will say about this.

@ Hydde Hydde
Just a suggestion, but don't double post. ^^ Agains the rules.
And don't worry. It appears they are really trying to make the gameplay the best in forever in Smash 4. Of course it won't be perfect. No Smash has been, and no Smash will be. They will all be different and good in different ways, and we all need to adapt and learn to enjoy what we have instead of what things could have been. There will be more Smash in the future, and eventually, everyone will have at least one Smash they will keep returning to.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
If one thing is sure, is that Sony as of today, cannot beat smash bros in their own game.

How that allstar game in PS3 did compared to brawl?

@ Hydde Hydde
Just a suggestion, but don't double post. ^^ Agains the rules.
And don't worry. It appears they are really trying to make the gameplay the best in forever in Smash 4. Of course it won't be perfect. No Smash has been, and no Smash will be. They will all be different and good in different ways, and we all need to adapt and learn to enjoy what we have instead of what things could have been. There will be more Smash in the future, and eventually, everyone will have at least one Smash they will keep returning to.
:dizzy:i just replied to 2 different posts!. Thats against the rules.?.

As long as they return to their 64, Melee level of gameplay, ill be fine. IM not saying it HAS TO be melee 2.0, because we all know it will never be, but ill be happy if it is its own thing but enjoyable. I didnt enjoyed brawl because it was soo different from 64 and melee, and im hoping this new game will be a thing of its own... but ENJOYABLE.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
Also, watch Sony make a new Playstation All-stars and try to include Mario, Sonic, PAC-Man, and Megaman. :laugh:
But instead of Mario they'll have Rayman. :laugh:
They got a Metal Gear character and it wasn't even Snake... What were they thinking?!

(they probably cut a cheaper deal with publishers saying "we'll advertise Metal Gear Rising, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for you!!" rather than have any sort of desire to live up to the "All-stars" part of the name)

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
:dizzy:i just replied to 2 different posts!. Thats against the rules.?.

As long as they return to their 64, Melee level of gameplay, ill be fine. IM not saying it HAS TO be melee 2.0, because we all know it will never be, but ill be happy if it is its own thing but enjoyable. I didnt enjoyed brawl because it was soo different from 64 and melee, and im hoping this new game will be a thing of its own... but ENJOYABLE.
It is Always against the rules to Double Post. You can use Edit to add in replies and such. ^^

I'm sure Smash 4 will be more of it's own. It already have things from both Brawl and Melee, which together, makes it different. It is hard to tell exactly how it will be until we play it. But if you disliked Brawl for being too different from Melee, then in the very least, you will probably like Smash 4 more than Brawl. ^^

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It'd be better if we could have an outsourced team hired to develop the SSE2 while Sakurai and the main team develop the core game...then everyone would be happy and we would get amazing cutscenes with Nintendo characters interacting and fighting together, this has been a design principle with this game and it worries me that we might not get Stage Builder 2.

They're going with the 'If it's broken, throw it away' route rather than doing what should be done, 'If it's broken, then ****ING FIX IT!'...if this was their philosophy, we would've gotten a tweaked Pokemon Trainer and SSE2 already.
They got a Metal Gear character and it wasn't even Snake... What were they thinking?!

(they probably cut a cheaper deal with publishers saying "we'll advertise Metal Gear Rising, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for you!!" rather than have any sort of desire to live up to the "All-stars" part of the name)
Emo douchebag Dante over awesome Dante was an insult to the entire Playstation fanbase, yeah, why have the cool badass with a coat and white hair that starred in some of the Playstation 2's signature games? Let's have his emo, angsty reboot.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
@ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster : You're forgetting two very basic things.

1.) Wii Fit Trainer is a completely random choice and waste of a character slot, and not just her.
As much as I hate the WFT and will make her my personal punching bag this smash :laugh: , smash has no specific slots. I guess if she was in loading times would be faster or something, because I doubt a character would take her place if she wasn't in. :ohwell:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
@ FoxBlaze71 FoxBlaze71 must really love the attention he's getting.

Dude I know you disagree and I have a strong opinion but if you haven't anything to add, leave the thread. Don't whine man, it ain't good for the rest of us either.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Yeah, it's ironic how it has 'All-stars' in the name when half the roster are characters that really aren't significant. :laugh:
Meanwhile, smash's roster is like 95% of highly iconic characters and it doesn't even have something like 'All-stars' in the name. :laugh:

Renji64

Smash Lord

1.) Wii Fit Trainer, though her game solid well, is as far from iconic as you can get. Yeah, she's unique, but most Nintendo characters are freakish enough to begin with. It's just a random character someone thought up. You might as well be adding Purdy from Zelda:TP because it's a character no one remembers or cares about, unlike the obvious Links and Pikachus.

2.) Sakurai does not care about the competitive community at all. Just because nutSak says there's balancing going on doesn't mean a whole lot when the direction he wants the series to go is as far away from tourney play as possible. Random-*** characters, like the idiot above me is asking for, are the focus. Items, pointless game modes, and other things are the focus. Just because the SSE is gone does not mean Sakurai plans to actually make the game function well.
adding for glory=caring about the competieve side to some people. Read his interviews he is only focused on the new player experience everyone else is chopped liver. WFT isn't that bad she was random but she has a great moveset. The gameplay is the most important aspect of smash for me. New entrys are more limited than older ones sadly.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I like Wii Fit Trainer. He/She is weird and has some quirky movements. Probably not a character I'll play a whole lot but I can see why he included them. Not every character needs to be iconic. Every Smash that released had a few characters that people couldn't readily recognize without prior knowledge of their games. These characters appearing in a Smash Bros game opens the door for Nintendo to create a new game starring them. People also want to go back and play the game they're starred in.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'll believe it when I see Mewtwo.
I mean if he's trying to make this the best character game in the world, and doesn't add the most requested character for the game I just.

I just will never understand how he thought he accomplished that.
I am a huge Mewtwo fan, and even I will not be fazed if Mewtwo is not brought back. Smash 4 is basically everything I could want, so long as it plays as good as it looks.

If Mewtwo makes it in, then of course the game can't get any better for me. But you know, there are characters who seem to have parts and pieces of Mewtwo in them, like Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Lucario and others. Even if he doesn't come back, characters like those will make me nostalgic for him in their movesets and will give me characters to work with who share a small piece of the Mewtwo experience.

The fact that he apparently still doesn't think Smash is the best character game in the world makes me wonder exactly how high his standards are in that regard. Short of people who say "my favourite character's not in, so the game isn't the best", I can't see many people denying that Smash is the greatest character game in the world, whatever their opinions on other parts of the games.
Yeah, it's like... what's the competition, really? It's pretty pathetic. Even people who aren't "Nintendophiles" love Smash because they can recognize and get hyped over iconic characters.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I am a huge Mewtwo fan, and even I will not be fazed if Mewtwo is not brought back. Smash 4 is basically everything I could want, so long as it plays as good as it looks.

If Mewtwo makes it in, then of course the game can't get any better for me. But you know, there are characters who seem to have parts and pieces of Mewtwo in them, like Rosalina, Greninja, Palutena, Lucario and others. Even if he doesn't come back, characters like those will make me nostalgic for him in their movesets and will give me characters to work with who share a small piece of the Mewtwo experience.
Maybe he was one of the chars who got the shaft because of the SSE.

I would love mewtwo returning. I used to play him in melee for fun, and even when i was terribad, i loved to play with him.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I mean if he's trying to make this the best character game in the world, and doesn't add the most requested character for the game I just.

Screw Mewtwo. :laugh:
But seriously, Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and PAC-Man will be more iconic than Mewtwo will probably ever be.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
But mewtwo is cooler ;)
Maybe, but he's not more iconic. In a game like smash, sometimes being iconic is better than being cooler.
It's like comparing Mickey Mouse to Phineas from Phineas & Ferb. Phineas might be cooler, but Mickey is much more iconic.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Some people are just being Negative Nacys.

Not every character can be as iconic as Mega Man or Pacs. The newcomers are great. Seriously.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

I'll never understand the mewtwo fans

Top Bottom