• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai’s Famitsu Column, Vol. 481 - Translation By Source Gaming

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

In his regular Famitsu column, Sakurai has discussed many things on the Smash Brothers series. Everything from game balance to competitive play and this time Sakurai sat down to discuss a bit on the most recent DLC characters, and potential upcoming DLC. This latest article was translated by Source Gaming and a small preview can be found below.

---​

On June 15th, we launched an update for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.

But the main attractions are the new fighters. Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, Lucas from MOTHER 3, and Ryu from the Street Fighter series were all made available to play at the same time.

Roy and Lucas appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl respectively, and Ryu is a completely new fighter. The characters differ not only in terms of the game they originate from, but also in personality and performance. They are oozing with their own individuality.

---​

Want to see the rest of the article where he discusses the Smash Ballot, upcoming DLC and more? Go and support Source Gaming in their translation efforts by reading the article in its entirety here. Happy reading everyone!

SmashCapps is always impressed by the translation work Source Gaming does for the community and hopes they keep up the fine work! To keep up with his own writing efforts go follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in development even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service, but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.
"From now until the end". In all likelihood, this probably rules out further pre-ballot DLC, and they might be picking peliminary poll results for new additions. Fan service would definitely imply top contenders like King K. Rool or Isaac. Or maybe Sakurai is hiding something else, who knows. Whether or not it means something remains to be seen.

I can tell that many of us are hoping that besides the top results, that the team looks to the lower voted results for character potential.

Last edited:

Zale

Lover of Kittenz and Mittenz
Premium
I find this very interesting. Would love a chance to talk to him.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was actually wondering about further pre-ballot DLC, and I suppose this answers my question on it.

I predict that we will get one or two new fighters in August (I still think Wolf is going to get in regardless of the ballot, due to how Roy and Lucas were chosen. Wolf is arguably more demanded than those two, and he's already been confirmed to be in Star Fox: Zero, so he can promote that game), along with tournament mode, and Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach's Castle 64. And that replay uploader. Then, I assume they will start working on whatever non-fighter related content they have planned, like another one or two stages and a new mode or something, or balance patches (as much as I am sick of them being so willy-nilly, I expect there will be one with each new character release). That will give them something to do until October, at which point, they can announce the results of the Smash Ballot, or at least start working on whatever character/s they choose from it.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in development even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.
I don't recall Ryu being so highly demanded.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
What I'm curious about, is if the Ballot will decide 1 character only, or if he will pick, say the 3 most voted ones.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't recall Ryu being so highly demanded.
He was decently demanded, but being a Capcom character and a fighting game character, both of which we thought made him ineligible, so his demand was from different demographics than those you find here.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Fan Service would include Wolf, Ice Climbers, and King K Rool. Other than them, everyone else I can think of, isn't really going to be high up on the ballot. That's how I feel anyway. There are a few characters though that could surprise people.

I think Shantae is being counted out by some people. Don't be surprised if WayForward's push gets her in there.

The other character would have to be Wrestler and Reporter. The way that trophy was so detailed leads me to believe that Sakurai likes those two. Don't be too stunned if they were the actual pick over Chorus Men, similar to Robin over Chrom.

Sakurai says somethings that don't add up sometimes, Ice Climbers and Wrestler and Reporter might be top votes, and they may already be done for Wii U, I won't be shocked if the whole "pre-smash ballot characters no more" was a lie.

Last edited:

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
The DLC team, in all honesty, should look to the entire ballot for ideas - Goku and Shrek need to stay jokes.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
"so there’s only going to be several more characters"

So there's definitely gonna be more than the 6 that had files within the game. I guess we've got 2 more to go then before the ballot. Place your bets everybody, I'm going Wolf and Dixie kong

The DLC team, in all honesty, should look to the entire ballot for ideas - Goku and Shrek need to stay jokes.
I assume the ideals used when developing the initial roster still apply, they need to have originated from a game, have to appeared on a nintendo platform at least once and bringing something new to the table is ideal yet not necessarily required

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though."

I figured this was the case. This just gives more evidence that there were characters that they intended to be DLC right from the get go.

"From now until the end, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content."

In my eyes, this means 3-4 more, with all of them being announced by next February. Four pre-ballot and four post-ballot makes sense to me.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I still feel Ryu was one of the most interesting and detailed addition to the roster to date. I just loving using him and the fact they included SF content...though I am still a little salty over a lack of a Chun-Li assist and trophies such as M. Bison, Cammy, Zangief, Akuma, Sakura, and the likes. Also, we should of had an Evevil Ryu alt.

I am looking forward to what Sakurai and his team has in store for us next! C'mon Dixie, Isaac, Ice Climbers, Impa, Wolf, Rayman, and everyone else deserving a spot!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still feel Ryu was one of the most interesting and detailed addition to the roster to date. I just loving using him and the fact they included SF content...though I am still a little salty over a lack of a Chun-Li assist and trophies such as M. Bison, Cammy, Zangief, Akuma, Sakura, and the likes. Also, we should of had an Evevil Ryu alt.

I am looking forward to what Sakurai and his team has in store for us next!
The Street Fighter characters getting Mii costumes would be such a cash grab that it's not even funny. I will be genuinely surprised if at least Ken, Bison, Chun-Li, and Zangief don't have costumes by Christmas.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Exciting news that at the least were getting several more characters!
However the line-up likely being more predictable than ever, I'm going to take my leave for speculation.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The other character would have to be Wrestler and Reporter. The way that trophy was so detailed leads me to believe that Sakurai likes those two. Don't be too stunned if they were the actual pick over Chorus Men, similar to Robin over Chrom.
Every bit of text in the game =/= Sakurai's thoughts on that thing.
Sakurai doesn't write the trophy descriptions.
Would be a ridiculous waste of his time to be doing that, to be honest.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I liked what Mr. Fukuyama (Roy's VA) shared in the article. He managed to remember most of the lines and even the other VA he worked with in Melee, several years ago.

Not to mention that those descriptions go through translation teams as well, where they may or not add or change some details. People really need to stop thinking that everything said in every bit of character dialogue or text serves as insight regarding Sakurai's mind.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wolf, Snake, IC's, K. Rool, and Isaac.

If Sakurai can only make "several characters", then these 5 make the most sense to make. Wolf and the IC's can be pre-ballot and K. Rool, Isaac, and Snake can be ballot characters.

Wolf is a near guarantee at this point and the IC's are questionable given the 3DS limitations so them making it in the game would mean their development time would be extremely short compared to other characters since their virtually done on the Wii U and close to being done on the 3DS. Snake is the most popular 3rd party character so him getting in would please almost everyone (not to mention he would be more easy to make as he's a veteran) and K. Rool and Isaac are basically the frontrunners for the Ballot.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
If characters from the Smash Ballot keep releasing through 2016, it's a possibility that we might get Rayman at next year's E3.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
So. . . Sakurai is going full fan-service for the ballot characters?
King K. Rool! We in there! (oh, and I guess Wolf is pretty obvious, too)

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
......Seriously people, Fan Service means more than "Lady Boobs" #509475823.

I'mma sick my Dewott on the next idiot who says something in this regard. #PervertRageMode. #Pain.
I'm not stupid, I just make too many puns.

Which, come to think of it, probably does make me stupid

Quillion

Smash Hero
And you're still not going to explain your decision to keep Ganondorf a Falcon puncher. What is your malfunction, Sakurai?

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Aaand again I feel like this is happening
Ridley!.jpg

But as for who I would want in the game, here are a few in no particular order:
Wolf - Starfox
Tetra - Legend Of Zelda
Ray MK - Custom Robo
And a character I wish could be in but know the impossibility:
Marina - Mischief Makers

And as much as I wish the Ice climbers could make a return, I know that the reason they weren't included is legitimate

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I was referring to the design of the trophy, not the description, he must have at least had some say into what trophies appear in the game, and how they were to be designed.

He made note to the fact that it was special in a daily post, as it has two sides:

Perhaps this is for their character portrait depending on which one you want to use, like Nana and Popo. They attack together based on the rhythm of your button presses. I would think if they were in the plans they were cut for the same reason as the ICs.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
*read the post*

Fan service until the end, huh?

So make Ganondorf use his sword, please?

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
He said it himself, "there's only going to be several more characters." So smash ballot will give us more than just the top voted character. We're also going to get a crap ton of fan service. I only have one thing to say to that...PLEASE DO NOT ADD GOKU!

Top Picks: Krystal (Star Fox), Issac/Felix (Golden Sun), King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country), Dr. Robotnik (Sonic), Shantae (Shantae), Azura* (Fire Emblem: fates)

*The last one is wishful thinking, though realistically they won't add another FE character into this game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If more characters are indeed on the way, then Wolf and Snake are the only ones I'm interested in seeing. The rest is just "meh..."

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, I do hope Sakurai does consider some wanted characters from the fans, mainly with King K. Rool and Issac, but also with Shantae as well. I honestly theorize these three might be some of the characters that he chooses. But its just a theory. Either way, I hope the man gets a huge break (a whole years worth of a break, especially) in the end. He deserves it.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And you're still not going to explain your decision to keep Ganondorf a Falcon puncher. What is your malfunction, Sakurai?
A better question is why bring up an irrelevant topic to an unrelated article? Stop looking to draw pity towards yourself.
Save that butt-hurtness for the Ganon forums.

Top Bottom