• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai’s Famitsu Column, Vol. 481 - Translation By Source Gaming

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
How many is "several"? 3? 50?
I hope for Fan Service, but hoping to high makes the fall saltier...

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
9 year old kid: "Mr. Sakurai can you add steve from minecraft?"

sakurai:"Oh..Yes, I'll just take my time to ma.. GET YOUR MOTHER ****ING ****TY IDEAS OUT OF HERE, THE BALLOT IS FOR REAL CHARACTERS."

*Adds wii fit trainer

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

How many is "several"? 3? 50?
I hope for Fan Service, but hoping to high makes the fall saltier...
The definition of several is "more than two but not many". Keep in this this is a translation but it does have me optimistic we will see more than six DLC characters. I'm thinking seven or eight with four pre-ballots and 3-4 ballot characters.

xzx

Smash Lord
Wolf is coming back for sure. All I truly want/crave is Paper Mario! (... And Bomber Man!)

D

Deleted member

Wolf is definitely coming back. He's the last veteran not currently in the game who was cut without a valid reason (unless you want to count Young Link and Pichu in there, but seriously...) Plus we have a new Star Fox game coming out.

I'd like to see at least one more DK character get in, either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong (although I'd prefer both.)

I'd also like to see Chrom get upgraded to an alternate costume for Marth (identical moveset but unique voice actor/taunts/etc.)

Impa should be an alternate costume for Sheik (same as Chrom). Her design could be a mix of the design from Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Daisy should be a true alternate for Peach rather than just a color swap.

And the addition of many more assist trophy characters.

And, if fate has it, both Ice Climbers and Ridley rejoining/joining the roster. Maybe even Krystal too. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've wanted Krystal in this game since the pre-Brawl days, but if Snake or Wolf return, I think things will be alright.
I'm sure I'll like at least one DLC character.

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
This kinda deconfirms Wolf. Since everyone thought he would automatically get insmash bros no one voted for him.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
To all the people counting the Ice Climbers out: Sakurai likes to say a lot of stuff and then do a lot of different stuff. Some of my favorite Sakurai quotes:
"There will be no paid DLC after Mewtwo"
(In regards to DLC) "We are not working on anyone else at the moment"
"There will be no clones in this iteration"
"Villager can't be in smash"
Smh

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
All I ask for is Rayman and King K. Rool.
I don't think that's too much to ask for.
These two just NEED to be in the roster.
That said, I hope we get more than one third party from the Ballot and we end up getting both Snake and Rayman.
Unfortunately, I think only one will be considered.
PLEASE ADD RAYMAN, SAKURAI.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This kinda deconfirms Wolf. Since everyone thought he would automatically get insmash bros no one voted for him.
That is horrible logic. People voted for Wolf and he has the fan support, that much is clearly obvious.

I don't recall Ryu being so highly demanded.
It only seems that way because any mention of Ryu on smashboards would get you a dozen replies saying "Sakurai said no fighting game characters," stifling discussion on that idea. Ryu is a pretty popular character who's had a lot of exposure to Nintendo gamers in the old days, so I'm sure he was actually highly requested.

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
That is horrible logic. People voted for Wolf and he has the fan support, that much is clearly obvious.
Deconfirmed is the wrong word but I dont think as many people voted for Wolf as many people voted for say.. King K Rool or Shantae.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm still expecting the Icies to this day :glare: Why they just don't release a buffed Solo Popo/Nana?!
Or make the Icies all one entity, a la Duck Hunt.

You know, drop the whole AI-that-follows-your-every-move in favor of just making Nana an extended hitbox/hurtbox for Popo. Sure, the subsequent removal of desyncing might be a huge nerf for IC, but grab infinites are nule and void in Smash, so it's no big deal anyway.

Deconfirmed is the wrong word but I dont think as many people voted for Wolf as many people voted for say.. King K Rool or Shantae.
Sakurai never said that Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu were the only characters they were working on. I'm sure he mentioned he and his team were working on a few more characters before the Smash Ballot was a thing, which might likely include Wolf.

Last edited:

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
Sakurai never said that Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu were the only characters they were working on. I'm sure he mentioned he and his team were working on a few more characters before the Smash Ballot was a thing, which might likely include Wolf.
In the full interview he said all characters from now on will be smash ballot characters.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If Sakurai explained the "no custom moves 4 DLC characters" fiasco I would be happy. But once again he dodged the topic because no one at Famitsu or anything dares to ask.

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
Either way, it would be moronic of Sakurai to assume Wolf isn't as popular and requested (if not more) than Lucas and Roy. He'll likely be back soon.
I hope so. He was an underrated character in Brawl since people saw him as a weak version of Fox and Falco and was so hard to unlock.

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
Aaand again I feel like this is happening
View attachment 58482
But as for who I would want in the game, here are a few in no particular order:
Wolf - Starfox
Tetra - Legend Of Zelda
Ray MK - Custom Robo
And a character I wish could be in but know the impossibility:
Marina - Mischief Makers

And as much as I wish the Ice climbers could make a return, I know that the reason they weren't included is legitimate
I agree with your first two picks so much. I want them in pretty badly myself. I think the first one is really likely, but we'll see what happens.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I'm not quite sure if it means only ballot characters from here on, seeing how the ballot ends in October. I'm sure they have a pirate and something else up their sleeve before we get there

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
The characters I want to see in Sm4sh:

Princess Daisy (Super Mario)*
Shantae (Shantae)*
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)

Yes, I know Daisy doesn't have that big of a chance of getting in, but a guy can dream, no?

*In fact, they're the characters that I'm most interested in seeing as Super Smash fighters.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Guys, he literally never said anything about there being only ballot characters from now on. Where is everyone getting this idea from?

The ballot ends in October, and we know we are getting the Tournament Mode Update in August, and that Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach's Castle 64 will be coming out at some point, as well as the YouTube replay uploader. Considering the timing of DLC thus far, it's safe to assume that a non-ballot character or two will be coming on at least one of these dates, and it's safe to assume Wolf will be the one/one of them.

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
Guys, he literally never said anything about there being only ballot characters from now on. Where is everyone getting this idea from?
Did you read the full interview he says all characters from now on will be pure fan requested like in the smash bros ballot.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did you read the full interview he says all characters from now on will be pure fan requested like in the smash bros ballot.
No, he said that things will be about fan service from now on. He never said anything about the ballot there, people are just assuming he is referring to the ballot. But every other DLC character was pure fan service anyway.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Wolf is coming back for sure. All I truly want/crave is Paper Mario! (... And Bomber Man!)
Wolf and paper mario are the 2 characters I want the most. I have TONS of ideas for paper mario's moveset.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My predictions (or should I say wishful thinking lol) for the rest of Smash 4 DLC...

August Nintendo Direct

- Reveal trailer for Snake
- Reveal trailer for the IC's (or someone else depending on 3DS limitations)
- Both characters become playable immediately like with Lucas/Roy/Ryu
- Shadow Moses Island and Icicle Mountain are released alongside their returns
- Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle are also released.
- Saffron City revealed but not released
- Tournament mode finally gets released
- Announcement of Adventure Mode (similar to Melee's one)
- More Amiibo's and stuff

October Nintendo Direct

- Reveal trailer for Wolf and announcement of a release date for him close to Star Fox Zero's launch date
- Saffron City is released
- Announcement of 3 Melee stages (Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, and Fourside)
- A look at how Adventure Mode will be like
- Smash Ballot ends and Sakurai reveals K. Rool and Isaac (similar to how Mewtwo was revealed) won because of their humongous fan support. A release date of late December is announced for both of them.
- More Amiibo's

December Nintendo Direct

- Reveal trailer for K. Rool
- 3 Melee stages mentioned above get released immediately after the Direct.
- Adventure Mode released
- Reveal trailer for Isaac along with a release of a Golden Sun Stage
- Announcement of both characters being released immediately after the direct
- Custom Moves for all DLC characters are released
- Palutena's Guidance and Snake's Codecs for all characters including DLC ones
- Amiibo's for any characters without them at that point of time
- DLC is officially finished and Sakurai thanks fans for playing Super Smash Bros

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
When things like

and
are in the game, there's no excuse to not do Wolf DLC. Wolf is highly requested and everyone wants him back.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It only seems that way because any mention of Ryu on smashboards would get you a dozen replies saying "Sakurai said no fighting game characters," stifling discussion on that idea. Ryu is a pretty popular character who's had a lot of exposure to Nintendo gamers in the old days, so I'm sure he was actually highly requested.
Prior to the leak, Ryu wasn't even being discussed as a possible character, let alone popular choice. And I think his exposure to Nintendo is about the same as Snake's, which really isn't much compared to characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Simon Belmont. I really don't see how he was so highly requested.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Prior to the leak, Ryu wasn't even being discussed as a possible character, let alone popular choice. And I think his exposure to Nintendo is about the same as Snake's, which really isn't much compared to characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Simon Belmont. I really don't see how he was so highly requested.
Ryu popular request? I'm calling

B******T!

Top Bottom